The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BRAD BARRITT has been called up to the British & Irish Lions squad.

+27
doctor_grey
Dubbelyew L Overate
GLove39
beshocked
samuraidragon
westisbest
flyhalffactory
HammerofThunor
Cyril
bedfordwelsh
Rugby Fan
Duty281
majesticimperialman
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
glamorganalun
doctornickolas
wales606
t1000advancedprototype
R!skysports
Geordie
RDW
Looseheaded
nathan
Exiledinborders
LondonTiger
valtrepkos
Coleman
31 posters

Go down

BRAD BARRITT has been called up to the British & Irish Lions squad. Empty BRAD BARRITT has been called up to the British & Irish Lions squad.

Post by Coleman Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:08 pm

Saracens’ England centre will fly from the United States on Saturday evening and join the squad in Sydney on Monday before travelling to Canberra.

https://www.facebook.com/BritishandIrishLions?fref=ts

Guess Roberts is out then.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

BRAD BARRITT has been called up to the British & Irish Lions squad. Empty Re: BRAD BARRITT has been called up to the British & Irish Lions squad.

Post by valtrepkos Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:09 pm

Gatland must really not like Hook!

valtrepkos

Back to top Go down

BRAD BARRITT has been called up to the British & Irish Lions squad. Empty Re: BRAD BARRITT has been called up to the British & Irish Lions squad.

Post by LondonTiger Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:09 pm

We must be scraping the barrel.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:10 pm

If i was Hook i'd take Gatland off of my Christmas Card list.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:11 pm

WUM Warning!!!

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:13 pm

He'll do a job in defence, not really in attack mind you. I suppose he'll be familiar with the defence coach too.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:13 pm

They are not sure about Roberts yet, he'll be getting a scan tomorrow.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:22 pm

Exiledinborders wrote:WUM Warning!!!

I assumed this was a wind up but apparently not. Hook would seem better option.

Wade has been called up as well. Good news if only because it will force Lancaster to pick him for autumn internationals.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by Coleman Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:26 pm

Nope, i provided a link for a reason. I've never been accused of a WUM before. BIG DAY! Hook has really done something to Gatland, i just don't understand. He can play 10,12,13 and 15 at international level. Sure he throws a wonky pass from time to time, but he's better then Barritt and 32.

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:26 pm

At least it's not Ashton at least it's not Ashton at least it's not Ashton

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:27 pm

Has Barrit even been out with the England squad?

Just watched Matt Scott have an outstanding game for Scotland against SA.  Obviously I'm biased but he's completely match fit and up to speed so would have thought he would have been a good option.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:28 pm

What an appalling decision if its true....he's such a limited player ..id rather have called up Banahan for gods sake....

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:37 pm

Matt Scott playing great, thought he would have a chance of being called up.

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by t1000advancedprototype Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:39 pm

Henson next..

t1000advancedprototype

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:50 pm

There must be someone better

Is Luke Marshall playing?

Matt Scott is certainly a talent

Perhaps they want a big defensive player - but it's not like he is likely to play the tests anyway, if he does, we are screwed.

Pity Scott Williams is injured really
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sat 15 Jun 2013, 6:59 pm

Matt Scott played exceptionally against the boks today. Tored holes,in defence, tackled well, made space and even won turnovers

Great talent for us

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by doctornickolas Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:07 pm

What a joke.

doctornickolas

Back to top Go down

Post by glamorganalun Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:13 pm

Bang goes our cutting edge if he plays.

glamorganalun

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:20 pm

Gatland showing some strange selections again

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:27 pm

This selection may not meet with universal approval, but how many midweek matches will he actually appear in? He won't appear for the Test side

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:29 pm

LondonTiger wrote:We must be scraping the barrel.

WHY?

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:32 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:
LondonTiger wrote:We must be scraping the barrel.
WHY?

Because, worthy club player that he is, I believe Barritt should be nowhere near the Lions. Though how anyone with at least two brain cells could not know that was why I said it amazes me.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:52 pm

Should get Barritt and Tuilagi to start together - if it's good enough to beat New Zealand, it's good enough to beat Australia!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:52 pm

It's striking that all the players called up so far have been on active summer tour duty.

Gatland suggested this wouldn't matter, but you wondered whether he reconsidered his stance, given the need to have cover players hit the ground running.

And then he chooses BB

Last edited by Rugby Fan on Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:54 pm

valtrepkos wrote:Gatland must really not like Hook!

Yeah Hook must be really out of favour at the moment, wonder why.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:54 pm

Rugby Fan wrote:It's striking that all the players called up so far have been on active summer tour duty.

Gatland suggested this wouldn't matter, but you wonder whether he has reconsidered his stance, given the need to have cover players hit the ground running.

Except for Barritt who has been on holiday somewhere.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:56 pm

Well, he's willing to select players that have barely played all year so I don't think there's really any rhyme or reason here.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Sat 15 Jun 2013, 7:56 pm

LondonTiger wrote:Except for Barritt who has been on holiday somewhere.

Yes, that was supposed to be my point, until I hit the send button too early.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Sat 15 Jun 2013, 8:01 pm

Barritt is a big lump at 12 and a Saracen, why wouldn't he be picked. Fits both Gatland's and Farell's criteria

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Sat 15 Jun 2013, 11:09 pm

Matt Scott has just had an absolute stormer today against a rough tough world class SA side. Can play 12/10 with equal ease and is something we have all said is what the Lions have been missing " a natural ball player and a creator of opportunities".

And what do we get............ another player who hasn't been selected for summer tour duty and is having a "jolly holly lets eat drink and be merry" holiday.

Bitter Bitter Taste......... yet again "Well Done Mr Gatland"

Yet another kick in the teeth for Scottish rugby and yet another poor selection

Last edited by flyhalffactory on Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:06 am; edited 1 time in total
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Sat 15 Jun 2013, 11:51 pm

So he will start against the Brumbies then, Wade to?

BOD/Davies/Tuilagi ahead of Barritt anyway, if Roberts is out.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by samuraidragon Sun 16 Jun 2013, 7:21 am

bedfordwelsh wrote:
valtrepkos wrote:Gatland must really not like Hook!

Yeah Hook must be really out of favour at the moment, wonder why.

That much was clear from last year's AIs when JH was watching a couple of games from the stands in a suit and tie, with Priestland starting and Biggar on the bench. Even when on the bench, JH never came on at 60 mins with the first wave of subs, more like 75 mins when the game is already won  or - as in the AIs - lost. The coaching team made a huge investment - wrongly in my view - in RP and persevered with him right through a serious loss of form. In fact, if he had'nt been  injured he's be on the Lions tour now.

samuraidragon

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 17 Jun 2013, 11:49 pm

One of the most underrated player. Hated because he actually plays for a decent side. Can actually tackle. Plays for a certain club.

Can't understand the call for Scott - please not yet another overrated PRO12 player enough of them thank you very much!!!!

Barritt outclassed Scott in the HC in their head to head. Barritt is unfashionable. He's a very important player who gets overlooked because he is more about substance than style. Certainly not involved in as many humiliations as Scott that's for sure. Barritt is a defensive lynchpin. He has been integral for England. If you don't see how then you're a fool to be honest. Virtually undroppable by Lancaster - it's because he is that important. For club and country he has been very consistent.

I wonder if any of you actually watch rugby on a regular basis. The amount of vitriol thrown at Barritt and his fellow club mates is disgraceful. You would think they were mass murderers or worse based on the abuse and criticism they get.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Mon 17 Jun 2013, 11:52 pm

Beshocked mate i think i could probably guess who you support then...

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:08 am

Yup loose headed. I support a decent club side and as I watch Barritt play a lot I know a bit more about how important he is. Sure he has his flaws but you would think that from the way he is described by quite a few posters he = rubbish. It's not as if Barritt has been picked as first choice centre, far from it. He's nowhere near as bad as made out by some posters.

He is just picked because of his bias though right? Nothing to do with his efforts on the field.

Watch Barritt's performance in the HC at Edinburgh for example.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by GLove39 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:22 am

Hmmm, nothing against Barritt personally but it grates when a player who hasn't played for several weeks, and has been off on holiday ie not training (unless hanging out with Frankenstein counts? http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/06/15/article-2342393-1A572503000005DC-367_634x496.jpg ) gets called up in favour of match fit players.

Plus the fact that Matt Scott had a blinder against South Africa the same afternoon the decision was made adds to mine and other Scots frustration.

GLove39

https://www.youtube.com/user/GLove39

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:32 am

GLove39 wrote:Hmmm, nothing against Barritt personally but it grates when a player who hasn't played for several weeks, and has been off on holiday ie not training (unless hanging out with Frankenstein counts? http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/06/15/article-2342393-1A572503000005DC-367_634x496.jpg ) gets called up in favour of match fit players.

Plus the fact that Matt Scott had a blinder against South Africa the same afternoon the decision was made adds to mine and other Scots frustration.

I think the decision to call Barritt up was probably made before Scott's stormer (though he did have a good game).

Back to top Go down

Post by Dubbelyew L Overate Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:36 am

Barritt is a like for like replacement for Roberts - they both consume large portions of cowpie.

Dubbelyew L Overate

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 18 Jun 2013, 8:11 am

One big point in Barritt's favour is his defense. If the Lions get a lead with 20 minutes to go, he would be ideal to shut down the Wallaby midfield. He would also make some hard yards straight up and help Lions retain possession. If he plays, obviously a big if, I think he will do fine.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by sirtidychris Tue 18 Jun 2013, 8:40 am

Mid week cover...end of, he knows the defense patterns farrell sr will be running and has played/trained with 12trees so is perfect to just slot in at last minute. Davies, BOD, Tuilagi and Twelevetrees are ahead of him and Roberts if he gets fit again. If he was selected at the start of the tour then i can understand the spilt tears, but at this moment its the sensible last minute centre option.  Out of interest when was the last time captain hook savior of the universe played international rugby ?....and then when was the last time he had a good game ? It might have made sense to have him along at the start to play 10 and cover injury positions, learning the patterns and moves but for now he can stay on the beach in france. For all barrits haters, he has the best centre defense of anyone in the British Isles, escpecially needed when you have two midget wingers and a fullback at 10 and awesome brumbies strike runners.... don't forget haters in the AI's  barrit played a large part of unlocking the allblacks defense and winning the game.  Scott, Hook etc can feel agrieved to be left out of the original squad, and they were competing with twelevetrees for that call up slot (twelvetrees was the right call IMO) but for this last minute cover barrit is the right choice.

Last edited by sirtidychris on Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total

sirtidychris

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 18 Jun 2013, 8:45 am

Interesting call up.

But then I don't think Hook is anywhere close to being as good as people make out, all i've seen him do is waste attacking ball and look like a deer in headlights.

At least Barritt will give you go forward and good defense, he's no where near first choice for the Lions in my opinion but ho hey.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 18 Jun 2013, 8:55 am

With the injury toll the Lions are enduring, can anyone bet that any of the recent call-ups won't play in a test? To me, if a player is in the squad, they can play.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:13 am

doctor_grey wrote:With the injury toll the Lions are enduring, can anyone bet that any of the recent call-ups won't play in a test?  To me, if a player is in the squad, they can play.  
Quite. I think I lot of folk (me included on occasions) are placing all the onus on the first test and assuming that's the test side for the next two. It won't be. There will (unfortunately) be more injuries and players still have plenty of time to shine off the bench too. It really is a squad thing (and not just the first test 23).

Re. Barritt. Does every call-up have to be exciting? Gats has brought him in for stability and for his ability to run a good defensive structure. Not every player has to be a defence-shredding, offloading showboater (though he has more skills than many give him credit). Barritt has performed well for England and he won't let anyone down (which is kind of what you need when someone comes in at short notice and needs to learn structures quickly).

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:26 am

Matt Scott is on form and its a shame the lions looked beyond him over Barritt... but perhaps Barritt was the reserve for centres from the beginning... Twelvetrees came in because of an obvious lack of cover at flyhalf and first five-eigth.

The lions coaches were probably in bed when the SA Scotland match was on and hadn't watched the game.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:33 am

Barritt was reported has saying something along the lines of, I was on holiday but knew I had to stay fit just in case which makes you think he was already informed that he was a standby. I guess Scott wasn't so the SA game wouldn't really have helped his cause anyway.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Submachine Tue 18 Jun 2013, 10:28 am

Paddy Wallace was on stand by for the New Zealand tour. That worked out well. They are both excellent players but you can't walk off a beach and into top level rugby.
There are alternatives playing in the summer tests who should have been considered ahead of Barritt. I think Scott even before his great showing on Saturday should have been given the call.
Would love to see the reaction on here if James Downey had gotten the shout.

Submachine

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:28 pm

beshocked that was a great performance from your Sarries boys, apart from Farrell kicking solidly, the amazing dynamism and work of Brad 'The Invisible Man' Barritt and Porker Stevens

still defending their inclusions?

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyril Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:30 pm

Looseheaded,

It doesn't sound like anyone covered themselves in glory.

Still, if a bit of point-scoring makes you feel better I guess you better go ahead.

Cyril

Back to top Go down

Post by Looseheaded Tue 18 Jun 2013, 12:32 pm

to be honest you're right as a tteam we were extremely poor but still, i really dislike Matt Stevens

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down