The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The worst Boxing TV analysts in Britain.............

+12
tunes666
mobilemaster8
88Chris05
TopHat24/7
hogey
Strongback
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Cast a Shadow
ShahenshahG
Union Cane
BoxingFan88
TRUSSMAN66
16 posters

Go down

The worst Boxing TV analysts in Britain............. Empty The worst Boxing TV analysts in Britain.............

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:09 pm

1. Richie Woodhall -   Find him completely false and full of it...Fury 5 -1 Cunningham do me a favor..Imagine Ward vs Martin Murray "I think Murray's got a great chance"..............

2. Glenn Mccrory  -   His latest analysis of Fury-Haye is that it will come to who wants it more!! "Great analysis".....Another "Nice guy" definitely looks like he hates Mcguigan...which you can't blame him for..

3. Steve Bunce    -   Same as woodhall..... to a lesser extent....

4. Barry Mcguigan -   Most arrogant analyst on the TV...Cuts other analysts up and knows best.........Frampton beware..

5. Maccarinelli      -   Just not very good........

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

The worst Boxing TV analysts in Britain............. Empty Re: The worst Boxing TV analysts in Britain.............

Post by BoxingFan88 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:20 pm

Haha Barry Mcguigan doesn't let anyone get a single word in!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

The worst Boxing TV analysts in Britain............. Empty Re: The worst Boxing TV analysts in Britain.............

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:25 pm

and he's still not the worst..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:36 pm

Who was the Northern Irish one who would say "Watch now, here it comes, there it is, BANG, you don't get many of those to the pound I can tell you" for every single knockout?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:37 pm

Barry said that Laugh

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:38 pm

As long as he said it in a reverse linear kind of way..........CoolCool

Jim Mcneeley ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:14 pm

Union Cane wrote:Who was the Northern Irish one who would say "Watch now, here it comes, there it is, BANG, you don't get many of those to the pound I can tell you" for every single knockout?

Wasn't Dave MacAuley was it? Remember him doing quite a bit of punditry and having some strange quirks.

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:19 pm

How you doing Cast..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:23 pm

Not bad mate - how are you?

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:31 pm

Not so bad...How is your Boss ??

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:34 pm

He's on the mend, and back at work part-time in a few weeks. Thanks for asking.

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:36 pm

Woodhall is a joke. Had Hatton up by 9 rounds against Mayweather....

McGuigan can make some decent points sometimes but his constant interruptions grind my gears.

Jim Watt talking about "ARRRRRGGGMMM PUNCHES" is the worst.

And Steve Bunce......."adios" I say no more
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:50 pm

Richie used to be a decent pundit - dunno what happened to him and why he started making patriotic calls on fights as opposed to intelligent ones, but it's hard to take him seriously anymore.

McGuigan jumps in with the certainty of a man who thinks he knows more about the sport than the other analysts. His saving grace is that in the case of McCrory (cliche-man) it's pretty well placed.

The best and most interesting pundit for my money, which is curious considering his style of fighting, has to be Johnny Nelson.

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:52 pm

I read an article a few weeks ago and Eubank said Woodhall is the best analyist.

Johnny Nelson is woeful but I still kind of like him.

McGuigan was the best of the Sky pundits but was far too confrontational, all the time.

Bunce makes me laugh when he starts to go into meltdown, that isn't an act. The night he was on Sentanta when Floyd was doing an in ring post fight interview and Mosley and Hopkins gatecrashed the mike was hilarious. Kellerman had just had a nightmare and Buncey starts ranting about how Kellerman was on $500,000 a year and was a total muppet. 'How do these clowns get these jobs'. Ha ha

Bunce is a bit restricted on BoxNation having to follow a script but he still has moments.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:53 pm

Eubank's Son fights on C5...........Has to be remembered..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:03 pm

Also easy to like a pundit who blows smoke up your backside - to listen to the commentary of Eubank jr's fight last week you'd think he was in with a former world title challenger.

It was a fight he should have won convincingly and he eventually got the guy out of there. Not a great performance by any means, but the casual fan might have been left with the impression he was in with a dangerous opponent.

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:07 pm

Problem with woodhall is he's a pointless waste of time.....He'll just play the PC game to get work........

If groves decided to take on Wlad it would be a 50/50 fight......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:11 pm

How about Wlad vs Margarito with 5 minutes count for each knockdown in a 100 round fight

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:12 pm

if Wlad promises to come in no higher than 167 there could be a deal.

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:13 pm

Was not ever thus to be fair - dunno if it was a career decision but Richie seemed to go down the Union Jack underwear route at some point and has never looked back...

What nearly all pundits seem to be guilty of, and this may be a contract thing, is bigging up the fighter who is signed to their channel as if he's the greatest on the planet, to the detriment/deliberate ignorance of fighters who are in a different stable.

Realise they have a product to sell but a bit of respect for fans and their intelligence would not go amiss.

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:15 pm

One thing that irks me and it's widespread through different sports especially athletics and Boxing is that  a Brit either...........

Destroys or crushes  his opponent in 5............

Or he's brave when losing in 5..........No Brits ever get destroyed..

"He's absolutely destroyed the Kenyan by metres"

"MCcolgan comes in 7th but it was a brave performance she can take a lot from"...........

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Mon 17 Jun 2013, 10:59 am

Jim Watt is the worst for me, but thats only because the utterly useless Duke McKenzie is not currently polluting the airwaves with his shocking punditry.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 12:48 pm

Cast a Shadow wrote:Was not ever thus to be fair - dunno if it was a career decision but Richie seemed to go down the Union Jack underwear route at some point and has never looked back...

What nearly all pundits seem to be guilty of, and this may be a contract thing, is bigging up the fighter who is signed to their channel as if he's the greatest on the planet, to the detriment/deliberate ignorance of fighters who are in a different stable.

Realise they have a product to sell but a bit of respect for fans and their intelligence would not go amiss.

The commentators for any Floyd or Manny fight fall into this category.

Worst most biaised commentary/punditry you'll ever see/hear. Have to watch the fights with the sound of because of it. Floyd-Cotto was ridiculous, made it sound like a Floyd sparring session, ignoring anything Cotto did and making the slightest Floyd punch into some kind of giant fight-defining wallop.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 1:10 pm

I thought HBO's commentary for both the Pacquiao-Marquez III and Pacquiao-Bradley fights were disgraceful to be honest, TopHat.

Litterd with inconsistencies, too. They defended Pacquiao's win over Marquez (Lederman even had Pacquiao four points up at the end, which should surely end this idea of him being some scoring 'expert' once and for all!) on the basis that Marquez had the fight under control, but didn't step it up and ram home the advantage enough in the championship rounds.

From where I was standing, that's exactly the same error Pacquiao would make against Bradley a few months later. No mention of this from Lampley and his cohorts that time around though, oddly enough. Instead, we got a shed load of hyperbole from them, topped off by Lampley's absolutely unreal claim that the decision was basically the worst he'd ever seen (I believe he worded it "I can't think of a decision with which I more strongly disagree.").
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 1:12 pm

Yep, would def include Pac-Brad (didn't see PM3) in that.

As you say, it's the inconsistencies that wrankle that most, if you're going to be bad at least be consistently bad!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 1:12 pm

Tyson Fury on channel 5 along with Eubank.

Chris Jr being matched tough every fight and Fury was destroying Cunningham.....eh?!

Then de gake back in the studio agreed with everything saying it was a classy performance from fury? Ha!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 1:21 pm

De Gale is thick as pig-poopie though so you could never expect him the contribute much!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 1:28 pm

Not sure why people are going on about cunningham against fury,  apart from cunningham catching fury with two or three solid shots  one of which dropped him,  fury dealt with him quite convincingly in his own country ..  No bad punditry in saying that ..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 1:32 pm

Except you were apparently watching a totally different fight......

I only had Fury taking 2 of the first 6 rounds and one of those was a 10-8 loss, 55-58 going into the 7th where Fury won with an illegal blow.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 2:46 pm

Tunes666......what are you on about seriously??

I had fury losing pretty much every round. He was decked in one and had a point off in another, was clearly wobbled in round 3 or 4 by another over hand right and had to grab on ........then won with a forearm/punch!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 2:49 pm

Tunes is hoping for a pundit job...........and he's going the right way about it...

Woodhall thought Cowdell slipped against Nelson...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Mon 17 Jun 2013, 3:31 pm

Tunes even Tyson Furys dad would have struggled to give him a round before Cunningham was mauled to exhaustion and knocked out with an illegal punch. Woodall's comments and scoring analysis during the fight were an embarrassment.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Mon 17 Jun 2013, 3:41 pm

Woodhall does stand out as something of a low at the minute. His jingoism is getting beyond ridiculous now. His foaming at the mouth rage at the Murray Sturm fight was bad enough but watched the Hatton comeback fight on Primetime and his scoring in that was just embarrasing. There were rounds where Hatton did nothing other than walking forward eating jabs and missing by a mile with his punches only for Richie to announce Ricky won it on aggression. Even TSMR observed he was talking out of his backside. As Truss has already alluded to Richie probably had Williams drawing with Vitali before the stoppage

Bunce is obviously a clown but to be honest I assume now that goes without say. Pity because when he is not playing up to his on screen persona he can be a capable writer. Have read a couple of books he has ghosted and he is perfectly readable when he is not being “Buncey”

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 17 Jun 2013, 3:53 pm

Guys
guys
guys.
There are bound to be some nutters filling these roles; Ronald M can't be everywhere at once.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 4:33 pm

I watched Hatton's return with the sound off, Jeff - I couldn't believe my eyes when, every round or two, Woodhall's card would pop up and show Ricky streaking ever further ahead, even though the only telling punch he'd landed in the previous round had been on his own hand as he banged his gloves together in frustration at consistently throwing wide, mistimed hooks which missed by about a foot.

And then I realised that I could believe it, actually, because it was Woodhall.

Mind you, Paulie's punditry work gets rave reviews and he also stated that he had Ricky up at the time of the stoppage, somehow. That said, I think it's fair to say he was in Manchester with a vested interest in hyping up a clash between himself and Hatton. Poor lad looked as if his dog had died at the end of the night!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Mon 17 Jun 2013, 4:50 pm

Rowley wrote:. Have read a couple of books he has ghosted and he is perfectly readable when he is not being “Buncey”

Did you read his novel The Fixer?

Here's the blurb:

Ray Lester is a fixer in the boxing business. He makes fights happen. He builds a bridge and guides boxers across to the negotiating table. Ray Lester is good at his job.

Then one morning a girl arrives at Ray's door and asks him for help finding her father, an old-school Vegas crooner called Eddie Lights. Ray travels with his questions to Sin City, along with 30,000 other Brits with their Union Jacks on the way to watch Hatton take on Mayweather. But before long, the boys in leather jackets from back east are on his tail and Ray finds himself embroiled in a murderous plot.

So begins a journey into the murky world of deals, fights and fighters. A world beyond the glitz, glamour and glory, where men like Ray Lester operate. A world where the fixer is king.

I get the feeling "the fixer" is Buncey in full Walter Mitty mode.  Buncey always did fancy himself as a bit of a promoter/fixer type character.  

I used to chat with Bunce online a bit and he was always good value.  He's been around forever which shows his dedication to boxing is more than lip service.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 17 Jun 2013, 4:58 pm

If I remember right, Paulie scored Cotto v Trout even.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon 17 Jun 2013, 7:03 pm

Suprising as Paulie is usually pretty accurate with his views to be honest.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:28 pm

Jim Watt - arrrrrrrrrum pun cheeeeeeeese

Woodhall - Doesn't even get close to giving any none UK based fighters a fair chance on his card

Lederman - Think he watches "greatest hits of X" (any fighter signed to his channel) on Youtube then scores that, ignoring the actual fight.

McGuigan - believes what he says is the absolute gospel.

Bunce - utter tool, idiot. Adios.

I like Foreman and Jones Jr as pundits, they always offer something interesting. Paulie is usually honest and accurate, although sometimes he can be wide of the mark.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down