The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Course in Your area (Your wee gems)

+19
matelot golfer
beninho
Roller_Coaster
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
superflyweight
simo71
Shotrock
SmithersJones
George1507
bluestonevedder
super_realist
kwinigolfer
JAS
puligny
oldshanker
dynamark
barragan
McLaren
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Best Course in Your area (Your wee gems) Empty The Best Course in Your area (Your wee gems)

Post by McLaren Sun 16 Jun 2013, 12:10 pm

It is very easy to look at all the top 100 lists and find out the famous courses in each area of the country, and really not discover anything new or interesting.

There is nothing better than holidaying somewhere and finding out a gem of a local course you did not know existed where maybe not every hole is up to the standards of a top 100 course but the experience can be great fun and a chance to learn.

In order to create a list of these local gems I propose people name the most interesting course withing ten miles of where you live.  If we need a little more we can extend the catchment area later on.  I don't suppose all the nominations will be worth travelling to play but hopefully we will construct a list of places worth playing when in the areas.

For me the area is the south side of central Edinburgh and the course I reckon to be the most worthwhile playing would be Braid Hills No.1

Within ten miles I could have nominated any of the courses within the city of Edinburgh but only the braids would provide anything of interest within the city.

I really think this will be a very interesting exercise and a great resource for any of us when travelling around the country (or another country if the US contingent participate)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

The Best Course in Your area (Your wee gems) Empty Re: The Best Course in Your area (Your wee gems)

Post by barragan Sun 16 Jun 2013, 1:56 pm

Mac, you really think the braids is the best course in Edinburgh, or are you just calling it a gem? Most people speak of Mortonhall, Burgess and Duddingston being Edinburgh's finest by a long distance..Monktonhall too if you go as far as the burbs.

barragan

Back to top Go down

The Best Course in Your area (Your wee gems) Empty Re: The Best Course in Your area (Your wee gems)

Post by McLaren Sun 16 Jun 2013, 2:09 pm

bara

The courses in Edinburgh city are mostly quite boring.  The braids is anything but boring and actually has some holes of interest.  The terrain of the Edinburgh courses is in general a little flat and lacking in interest.  With the braids the land the course is draped across is pretty wild and therefore worth seeing.

If visiting Edinburgh the only course in the city that would further someone's golf architecture knowledge and experience.

So what is your nomination?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sun 16 Jun 2013, 3:42 pm

That's crazy mac, there are only a small handful of truly 'flat' holes at duddingston, and only one of these is bordering on boring. One of the reasons I joined was the great variety of holes. Certainly isn't devoid of any architectural quality Rolling Eyes
I'm sure the braids is great fun but aren't you being rather narrow-minded about taking enjoyment from only a specific type of course.

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by barragan Sun 16 Jun 2013, 4:02 pm

Anyway, I thought you were a massive fan of kilspindie - with the exception of the 17th (which is a very poor hole) there's more elevation change in a really nice airse than at kilspindie Wink

barragan

Back to top Go down

Post by dynamark Sun 16 Jun 2013, 4:07 pm

Im not sure we have any within 10 or so miles that I would put in that category.
However bit further out Whittington Heath nr Lichfield and Drayton Park nr Tamworth both hit the hidden gems button.Both private clubs designed by top architects reasonable green fees and top quality courses,never advertise themselves but we try to visit once a year.Whittington is interesting was built for an army regiment(the Staffordshire I think)used to have a horseracing track running through it which you still see on a few holes and in a few years will have the new west coast rail line splitting it .
The dining room is the old officers mess room,proper golf course.

dynamark

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Sun 16 Jun 2013, 5:38 pm

10 miles from me is to be fair completely devoid of hidden gems, the best I can bring to mind is Ely Golf club, but that is pushing it to say it is interesting. Maybe Brampton, but once again interesting, hidden and gem are not words I would normally associate with either course and the vast majority of nearby courses are not the kind that I would like to play regularly. Tired, boring, rooted in the past and with a clubhouse that makes you about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit

The best I can do is 40 miles to Thetford Forest (now that is a gem, but the word is they are struggling) and also Gog Magog. Really good courses are at least 50+ miles away from central Cambridgeshire.

You are very lucky where you live Mac, you have more quality courses within a 20 mile radius of you possibly than East Anglia can raise in total! I think you are just playing this game this to wind us up.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Sun 16 Jun 2013, 8:46 pm

Alresford in Hampshire. Downland - never floods - tight as a drum in places, but several of the best long par 4s you will find anywhere, big trees and fabulous greens. First time out people think it can be torn apart - but par 69, course record 65.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Sun 16 Jun 2013, 10:38 pm

I'm quite happy to nominate my home course....it's a muni, home course of a current European Tour Pro, has held Jamega tour events. It has also held a Pro am, attended by many of the current top ET Pros and it also comes complete with a patch of Gorse named after a 606er.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 17 Jun 2013, 1:53 am

No gems around here, wee or otherwise. Best options either 100 miles south, into NY at the Sagamore, or 50 miles north in Quebec.

shanker:
Where is Brampton GC? I know Brampton quite well (love the racecourse for instance) but before I got keen on golf. Didn't realise there was an option round there to the always abysmal St.Neots.

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by oldshanker Mon 17 Jun 2013, 6:36 am

Kwini - Brampton Par GC is on the edge of Huntingdon. The fact that it is Huntingdon and not St Neots, still doesn't qualify it for gem status I'm afraid.
oldshanker
oldshanker

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:19 am

Further update on Alresford - Justin Rose won a county event there in his Hampshire days!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 17 Jun 2013, 9:38 am

Braid hills is decent and very good fun with some outstanding holes on it, but because of the scruffiness of the course it is not a patch on mortonhall which is immediately next door.
Its certainly a gem though and a nice surprise for a municipal course.

Im kind of spoilt where I play. Got TOC, Kingsbarns, Castle, New Course etc within close reach
I'll nominate Elie though as a local gem.
Beautiful location, condition and in the 13th hole, one of my favourite par 4's in golf.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Mon 17 Jun 2013, 10:17 am

Super - Elie is the one with the periscope for the starter? Only played it once but good memories. Also recall Crail, which also played once but memory tells me it was pretty good?

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Mon 17 Jun 2013, 10:25 am

Super

I thought you lived in aberdeen?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 17 Jun 2013, 11:50 am

puligny wrote:Alresford in Hampshire. Downland - never floods - tight as a drum in places, but several of the best long par 4s you will find anywhere, big trees and fabulous greens. First time out people think it can be torn apart - but par 69, course record 65.

Will have to check that course out puligny. You ever played any of the Winchester ones?

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Mon 17 Jun 2013, 1:26 pm

McLaren wrote:Super

I thought you lived in aberdeen?

I do Mac, but I still play most of my golf in Fife.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 2:33 pm

Royal Wimbledon - lovely course but very expensive.
London Scottish/Wimbledon Common - cheap, interesting and old fashioned. Variable condition though.
Coombe Hill
Burhill
Chorleywood - nice 9 holer
East Herts - was very impressed there
Hadley Wood

North Berwick East Links, or The Glen as it's called now. Pretty good, although not as good as the West links, but it's a lot cheaper.

Luffness, and Gullane #2 and #3

Crieff - the 18 hole Ferntower course is good. The Dornock 9 holer, and the 9 holers at St Fillans, Comrie, and Muthill are good too.

Girvan - a good nines holes links, somewhat spoiled by another nine in a field away from the coast.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 17 Jun 2013, 3:24 pm

Blimey George, that's quite some area you live in!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Mon 17 Jun 2013, 4:28 pm

Bluestonevedder - all of them. Try Alresford would be my advice!
In truth they are all different - south Winchester big and wide open, royal Winchester (don't be fooled by the name) is ok but humdrum in parts, Hockley underrated but to be avoided outside Summer so you don't get blown off the hill.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 17 Jun 2013, 4:33 pm

puligny wrote:Bluestonevedder - all of them. Try Alresford would be my advice!
In truth they are all different - south Winchester big and wide open, royal Winchester (don't be fooled by the name) is ok but humdrum in parts, Hockley underrated but to be avoided outside Summer so you don't get blown off the hill.

I'll definitely give the Alresford one a go. Always on the look out for new courses.

I haven't played Royal Winchester, but I do quite like South. My brother is a member at Hockley, and him, my Dad and I play there more than aywhere else. It really is a lovely course, though you're right about playing in Winter! It gets marshy too.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Mon 17 Jun 2013, 5:56 pm

Bluestoneveder - if you are in the area but not often you must try Stoneham, Liphook, Blackmoor and especially Hayling. North Hants well worth a trip but slightly different direction.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 6:27 pm

Commute between Herts and Edinburgh, so yes, a big local area.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 17 Jun 2013, 6:48 pm

A tale of the "Mills" here in the greater Philadelphia area:

Private - Gulph Mills
Public - Glen Mills

Just my opinion!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:57 am

puligny wrote:Bluestoneveder - if you are in the area but not often you must try Stoneham, Liphook, Blackmoor and especially Hayling. North Hants well worth a trip but slightly different direction.

Thanks for the tips puligny, I'll look into them OK

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by simo71 Tue 18 Jun 2013, 1:42 pm

I am very fortunate in the fact that I live 1/2 a mile from Royal Birkdale. Also in the same radius are Hillside and the lesser known Southport and Ainsdale, both of which are great courses in their own right.

Other good courses in the area are formby, west lancs, formby hall and the hesketh golf course. Several of which are regularly used as open qualifying courses. I am very lucky to live in such a rich area in terms of quality golf courses!

simo71

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:05 pm

I like Braids a lot.  With a bit more care it could be a cracking course. 

Don't play as much anymore but the following are nice little courses in and around Dundee, Angus and Fife:

Downfield
Scotscraig
The Barry Course at Carnoustie
Edzell
Forfar (have fond memories as once won the 4 Ball Open there with my Dad with a net 59)
Alyth (not to be confused with the Strathmore at Alyth)

Camperdown in Dundee has an amazing layout but is a municipal course and has had no investment, so is never in great condition.  If looked after, it would be the most interesting course of all of these.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue 18 Jun 2013, 9:26 pm

Any Scots, or others with experience of it, rate Pitlochry?

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 18 Jun 2013, 11:02 pm

By the Barry Course do you mean the Burnside Sfw? That would definitely fall into the gem category. Cracking selection of par 3s at least 3 of which would not be out of place next door, nor would the 17th.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed 19 Jun 2013, 9:34 am

Pitlochry? Yes, a nice course. Easy enough if you keep it straight off the tee as I recall, because it isn't very long. I've played it a few times and it seemed to be in nice condition each time. Nice smooth greens, not pitchmarks, few divots.

Yes, very nice.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Wed 19 Jun 2013, 1:48 pm

2 classic courses in my area:

1. Old Fold Manor is one of Colt's under-rated masterpieces. It's not  very showy or spectacular, just 18 solid challenging holes. Every hole asks questions and requires you to think for your tee shot and your approach, and then the greens are as good as any championship course. It's been a regular host of regional qualifying for the Open and this summer is hosting the Faldo Series and a TP Tour series event, but generally stays under the radar.

2. Hadley Wood is one of the early designs of Alistair MacKenzie, and you can clearly see the design similarities shared with Augusta on a number of holes. Its stately home clubhouse and the palatial mansions surrounding the course give a prestige feel to the place. There is quite a bit of room between the holes here: if they upgraded the practice facilities and got a big name in like Ernie Els to oversee an on-course revamp (bit of lengthening / tweaking) this place could be up in the same league as Wentworth / Sunningdale.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed 19 Jun 2013, 4:34 pm

Hadley Wood is really nice. It was redesigned in the 1950s though, so there isn't much left of the Mackenzie design now. The best holes are the recent ones, like that par 3 over the water - maybe the 10th - and the back to back par fives - 13th and 14th I think.

I think it's fine as it is, I really can't imagine the members wanting Ernie Els to muck it up like he's managed at Wentworth.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:01 pm

Old Fold Manor is lovely. Scene of the 606V2 open a couple of years back, the result of which modesty prevents me from reporting Whistle
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Wed 19 Jun 2013, 10:54 pm

I played Hadley wood last year. In the clubhouse they had a folder and plans outlining that they are aiming to re establish the Mackenzie design. I understand it will take a while but the intent is there and work is underway. Good on 'em.
The course was in any case very good, and greens in particular did highlight some Mackenzie design features - I certainly came a cropper on the first which has a really severe slope!

Good to hear about old ford manor  it's now on the list to play. Sounds a real treat.

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Thu 20 Jun 2013, 8:59 am

If you are in that area, then Moor Park's High course is the best course in Herts, the best inside the M25 and vies with Wentworth for the best inland course in the South East. Fantastic course, incredible clubhouse and great ambience at half the price of Wentworth.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Thu 20 Jun 2013, 9:24 am

Here's an interesting one for anyone in the Loughborough area. Played Charnwood Forest yesterday as part of a Society and really, really enjoyed it.

A 9 hole (yes, 9 hole) track designed by James Braid (Mac should be impressed) but which uses split tees when you play 18 - many of the holes were completely different visually and in actuality when played from tees which differed wildly in the distance the hole played at and also the angles you're playing from.

No bunkers at all (nope, not one and when you finish you start to wonder why many clubs waste so much money on bunkers which are often not well maintained) but enough nasty rough to compensate. If you've not played it before, there's a lot of blind shots which I'm not always a fan of but you soon work out where you're going. Holes are a great mix with some real challenges (464 yard par 4 into prevailing breeze anyone?). Greens were excellent if a little slower than they looked - very true though. You don't often need a driver (mainly due to accuracy requirements) but that said, in one round the only club in the whole bag I didn't use was my 52° gap wedge - strange, but true.
Terrain is a mix of some heather, birch (and plenty of others) trees, longish wispy 'pink' rough, gorse and rock outcrops. Views are fantastic in places.
Club were very friendly and even gave us a bottle of scotch for a 'closest to the pin in 2' on the par 4 9th/18th (I know sounds it odd but you have to see the hole to understand) holes.
All-in-all I'd thoroughly recommend it for a slightly different challenge.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Jun 2013, 9:28 am

I was already about to take issue with your last post george, when you said moor park was the best inside the m25 (The addington for one is better) but to say it vies for the spot of best in the south east with wentworth seems pretty wrong.

You are saying the best in the south east goes something like this;

Wentworth
Moor Park

Then in some order

Sunningdale old and new
Bershire red and blue
West hill
woking
New zealand
worpledon
swinley forest

And that is not even extending to the wider surrey, sussex area or kent.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Jun 2013, 10:02 am

Mac, you can't ask people for their opinions on a subject and then slate their choices. It's subjective. There are no rights or wrongs.

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Thu 20 Jun 2013, 10:19 am

McLaren - 

Addington is nice, but it's a bit short. Moor Park's High course is 7000 yards off the blue tees, and a real handful for any golfer. The West at Moor Park is similar to Addington - a good challenge for all golfers. 

These are hardly hidden gems though, so I think we are getting a bit off course here.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Jun 2013, 10:47 am

When you said moor park vied for best in the south east with wentworth I assumed you were not talking about hidden gems.

On a wider note this thread is not about hidden gems it is about naming the best course within ten miles of where you live.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Jun 2013, 10:49 am

TRUMP!!!!!

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Jun 2013, 10:52 am

When are we playing it super?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Jun 2013, 10:56 am

Can you get a bus from Edinburgh to Aberdeen?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Thu 20 Jun 2013, 11:13 am

I am more concerned with whether or not you are going to stump up my green fee as you promised.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Thu 20 Jun 2013, 11:15 am

Would stumping up the green fee be worth having someone whinge about Trump for 4 hours?

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 20 Jun 2013, 11:21 am

Yes.

Trump 4-Ball = SR - Mac - Gael - ET Woods.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Thu 20 Jun 2013, 1:00 pm

Oh thanks Roller....I didn't want to be in that 4ball anyway!! Laugh

I'd be happy to make the trip up to Trumps again either just before or just after the Tassie (so late Aug/early Sept). Would be interesting to see how much it's matured in a year. Happy to go halfs with Super on your green fee Mac...but you're on your own for the bus fair up Wink

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 20 Jun 2013, 1:11 pm

George1507 wrote:Hadley Wood is really nice. It was redesigned in the 1950s though, so there isn't much left of the Mackenzie design now. The best holes are the recent ones, like that par 3 over the water - maybe the 10th - and the back to back par fives - 13th and 14th I think.

I think it's fine as it is, I really can't imagine the members wanting Ernie Els to muck it up like he's managed at Wentworth.

Why doesn't this quote thing work any more?

It was the first of back to back par 5's (13th?) that reminded me of the 11th at Augusta.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 20 Jun 2013, 1:21 pm

George1507 wrote:If you are in that area, then Moor Park's High course is the best course in Herts, the best inside the M25 and vies with Wentworth for the best inland course in the South East. Fantastic course, incredible clubhouse and great ambience at half the price of Wentworth.

Best course in Herts... shouldn't that be the Grove because Tiger played there? Whistle

Seriously, I've not played it but most people seem to rate Ashridge as no1 in Herts. I really need to play Moor Park as well, have only heard good things about the place.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 20 Jun 2013, 1:31 pm

McLaren wrote:I was already about to take issue with your last post george, when you said moor park was the best inside the m25 (The addington for one is better) but to say it vies for the spot of best in the south east with wentworth seems pretty wrong.

Mac,

Why is George wrong? And why is Addington better? I'm interested in debate but if you are going to fire off opinions you need to back them up with an explanation.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next