The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Best Course in Your area (Your wee gems)

+19
matelot golfer
beninho
Roller_Coaster
navyblueshorts
raycastleunited
superflyweight
simo71
Shotrock
SmithersJones
George1507
bluestonevedder
super_realist
kwinigolfer
JAS
puligny
oldshanker
dynamark
barragan
McLaren
23 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Best Course in Your area (Your wee gems) - Page 2 Empty The Best Course in Your area (Your wee gems)

Post by McLaren Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:10 pm

First topic message reminder :

It is very easy to look at all the top 100 lists and find out the famous courses in each area of the country, and really not discover anything new or interesting.

There is nothing better than holidaying somewhere and finding out a gem of a local course you did not know existed where maybe not every hole is up to the standards of a top 100 course but the experience can be great fun and a chance to learn.

In order to create a list of these local gems I propose people name the most interesting course withing ten miles of where you live.  If we need a little more we can extend the catchment area later on.  I don't suppose all the nominations will be worth travelling to play but hopefully we will construct a list of places worth playing when in the areas.

For me the area is the south side of central Edinburgh and the course I reckon to be the most worthwhile playing would be Braid Hills No.1

Within ten miles I could have nominated any of the courses within the city of Edinburgh but only the braids would provide anything of interest within the city.

I really think this will be a very interesting exercise and a great resource for any of us when travelling around the country (or another country if the US contingent participate)
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

The Best Course in Your area (Your wee gems) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Best Course in Your area (Your wee gems)

Post by JAS Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:43 pm

super_realist wrote:TRUMP!!!!!

lol I know you probably just said it out of wummery but if I was picky and lived in Aberdeen then RA would beat it....(for me) for now at least.

JAS

Back to top Go down

The Best Course in Your area (Your wee gems) - Page 2 Empty Re: The Best Course in Your area (Your wee gems)

Post by beninho Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:53 pm

Just noticed people mention Old Ford Manor in Barnet, i played this 2 days ago, and was very impressed. Played the Shire in the afternoon, and again very nice course. I though di not play them that well...but the walk was nice and you feel 36holes in your legs towards the end dont you?

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:05 pm

what did you think of the Shire beninho?

bit of a marmite course for many.

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by beninho Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:16 pm

I enjoyed it, it was a bit different. Though the first came to soon!!!  I can see why some may find it a bit gimmicky but the mix was enough to keep it interesting. Though my erratic golf and water involved is not my strength.

beninho

Back to top Go down

Post by matelot golfer Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:44 pm

It's mullion for me here in far west Cornwall. Only 4 miles from my door. Holes 6 to 12 are superb test with two of the best 150yd par 3's in the county. Our 7th, par 4, 432yds, is in my opinion one of the top 3 in the county. Protected reed beds OOB all down the right. View of the tee is to a church used in many dramas made recently and views out across the bay to Penzance. The guardian golf writer at the time did a piece about 10 years ago on top 5 uk tracks. It had the 4 obvious ones everyone knows or mentions, but little old Mullion came in his piece as No5', 'the hidden gem'. Can't say fairer than that. Try it if you are on a Cornish holiday alongside the trevose's and St Enodocs!,

matelot golfer

Back to top Go down

Post by ScottieD18 Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:40 pm

We played the Carrick (Loch Lomond) on Friday.  We really enjoyed it.  A fair and interesting test, great facilities and amazing setting (and the weather was fantastic - always helps).  Only complaint was that the greens were very slow.  Hard to beleive the course is only 7 years old.

ScottieD18

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:06 pm

Not really "in our area" but 100 miles to Montreal makes it pretty local, given the sparsity of good courses around here.
There are two courses at Club De Golf De L'ile De Montreal.

Some 606'ers were interested when I wrote about the pair of Pat Ruddy courses - haven't played the highly regarded "Island Course", but played the "Ireland Course" a couple of times and really enjoyed it.
While it doesn't quite provide the promise of "typically Irish Links" golf and doesn't make one imagine you have "crossed the Atlantic", it's thoroughly entertaining to play, beautifully laid out, and represents an oasis of tranquility in the throbbing urban Montreal metropolis. And that's tough to do!
Well worth the trip considering the options available!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Doon the Water Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:42 pm

JAS wrote:I'm quite happy to nominate my home course....it's a muni, home course of a current European Tour Pro, has held Jamega tour events. It has also held a Pro am, attended by many of the current top ET Pros and it also comes complete with a patch of Gorse named after a 606er.

How's ma garden growing Jas?
Are you enjoying your Captains year?.

Re Arlesford, lovely wee course.
I played a BIGGA district match there in the 1970's.
We were top match both off 2, both never played the course before.
After the third hole we looked at each other and said the yardages were all over the place.
After we had played 9 holes we discovered that they were the first course in the UK to go metric.
Great game on a beautiful day, if I remember correctly finished all square.

Doon the Water

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:46 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:Yes.

Trump 4-Ball = SR - Mac - Gael - ET Woods.

Laugh thumbsup  I'd like to see that too! 

For those familiar with Scotscraig, if you think I'm bad then pin your ears back for this wee gem from a bygone era.  

Perhaps most of you are too young to remember a (scottish) Curtis Cup golfer called Joan Lawrence.  She also played mixed 4somes.  Her partner played off a very low h'cap;  in the region of scratch.  There's a long short hole (3rd?) and weather conditions were dire.  Nevertheless, her partner pulled out a raking 2-iron into the heart of the green only to just roll off the back and into the cheugh immediately beyond.  On looking around at his partner for a bit of sympathy but a well done for hitting such a great shot, all he got was a ... "Call yourself a bloody golfer!"

Last edited by gaelgowfer on Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:58 pm; edited 1 time in total

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by gaelgowfer Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:55 pm

quote="JAS"]I'm quite happy to nominate my home course....it's a muni, home course of a current European Tour Pro, has held Jamega tour events. It has also held a Pro am, attended by many of the current top ET Pros and it also comes complete with a patch of Gorse named after a 606er.[/quote]

That wouldn't happen to be the Son of Thunder, Boanerges, would it?

gaelgowfer

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:14 pm

...The first course to go metric...

And the last i hope.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:46 pm

If Alresford went metric, it's subsequently reverted to yards! Rest easy George!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:20 am

Phew. Thank goodness for that!

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:12 am

The addington is ok..(very local to me- played it 20 plus times)

Its good. but not what i would call a hidden gem. It is quite well known.

Sundridge park, croham hurst, addington palace are slightly less known(all have featured in surrey amatuerss or open qualifying though- so maybe not that hidden!)

OK lets go to the posh end of surrey!!

Woking, New zealand and west byfleet are class and not as well known as others in the area

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2