The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I was wrong

+7
ChequeredJersey
BigTrevsbigmac
irfon17
wales606
Tiger/Chief
flyhalffactory
robbo277
11 posters

Go down

I was wrong Empty I was wrong

Post by robbo277 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 4:13 pm

Obviously we all have some strong opinions that we share with the board, and when we're right we're more than happy to say "I told you so".

So here is a chance to admit some mistakes you would've made with regards to the Lions or your nation this summer, on particular player selections and/or tactical choices.

Lions: After seeing him in action against the Force, I thought Alun-Wyn Jones looked far below his best and lacked dynamism. I would not have been considering him for my test team and probably wouldn't have started him against the Waratahs. He had a fantastic game and is probably nailed on to start the test with O'Connell.

England: I never rated David Wilson as a prop, always thought he looked overweight and didn't add anything when he came on. Probably harsh to judge him on 5 minutes at the end of Internationals, and he's shown in this series he's an able back-up for Dan Cole should he get injured.

England: I was a little surprised at the inclusion of Marland Yarde for the England tour, and was very surprised to see him starting over Jonny May. Yarde is now my first choice left wing for the Autumn Internationals.

Over to you.

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

I was wrong Empty Re: I was wrong

Post by flyhalffactory Sun 16 Jun 2013, 4:24 pm

I though Gray had the ability and potential (and a better player than AWJ) to partner POC and up to this weekend I considered myself right.

However one thing I have always been impressed with Alun Wyn is his ability to remain focused and feet on the ground. When he was pressed by the Scrum 5 pundits on his potential selection as Lions Captain he bluntly refused to enter into the chat and made a point ignoring it and continued talking about the Osprey game that just finished.

He has treated the tour in the same vein, focused and concentrating on his form. I wouldn't say he is nailed on just yet as Gray is playing on Tuesdays in Shane Williams memorial and just might to a "AWJ" and raise the bar again.

I thought that Gray was well ahead, I was clearly wrong
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiger/Chief Sun 16 Jun 2013, 4:32 pm

I thought Zebo was just a show pony who didn't like contact

I thought Kyle eastmond couldn't defend and was to small to play 12

Tiger/Chief

Back to top Go down

Post by wales606 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 4:50 pm

But i'm never wrong! angel

I guess I thought that Wales vs Australia would be Shane's last international game

...and then I thought the Baabaas game would be Shane's last high profile game

...now I think Tuesday will be Shane's last high profile game Erm

I thought Rory Best was a nailed on starter

I though Tom Youngs would have problems with his throwing and was 3rd choice

I though BOD was better than JD2 Run
wales606
wales606

Back to top Go down

Post by irfon17 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 4:55 pm

Prior to 2005 I thought Clive Woodward was a good coach. 

During the 2005 Lions tour I thought that Wilkinson was passed it, as it was the tour simply came too early for him (it wasn't his fault that he was picked regardless).

For a long time I thought that Roberts was a one trick pony and useless against a competent defence.

I was convinced that by taking their foot off the gas against Italy in the closing stages of this year's 6N match, Wales had thrown away their chances of taking the trophy on points difference and had handed the title to England.

This could be a VERY long post but I'll leave it at that

irfon17

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Sun 16 Jun 2013, 5:03 pm

Under estimated a Mako Vunipola - has been a revelation on the tour do far & one of thethe best carrying forwards.
Not bad for a prop.

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Sun 16 Jun 2013, 5:08 pm

I thought Warburton wouldn't get the form to be a starter for the Lions

I thought that Roberts was out of form
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 5:18 pm

I thought England would win the Grand Slam this year.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiger/Chief Sun 16 Jun 2013, 6:17 pm

I think that a lot of England players got under hyped based on one performance v Wales

I think that a lot of the Wales players got over hyped cos of one performance v England

George North is in a different league to Alex Cuthbert

Tiger/Chief

Back to top Go down

Post by majesticimperialman Sun 16 Jun 2013, 7:18 pm

I was wrong to think that Gatland had taken enough players on tour to cover for Injuries. And that their would not be any call ups from any country.

majesticimperialman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 16 Jun 2013, 8:14 pm

majesticimperialman wrote:I was wrong to think that Gatland had taken enough players on tour to cover for Injuries. And that their would not be any call ups from any country.

Well then you're showing your ignorance then, as when has that happened on modern Lions tours?

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 16 Jun 2013, 8:15 pm

Tiger/Chief wrote:I think that a lot of England players got under hyped based on one performance v Wales and Italy

I think that a lot of the Wales players got over hyped cos of one performance v England and 3 other games from the same tournament

George North is  in a different league to Alex Cuthbert , both of whom are leagues above Ashton

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by robbo277 Sun 16 Jun 2013, 8:40 pm

Same here Duty. However in a fit of optimism I'll predict us for one next season. See you all back here March '14 then!

robbo277

https://twitter.com/#!/robbo277

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiger/Chief Mon 17 Jun 2013, 8:00 am

The saint.... Do you honestly think Wales were that good against France and Scotland????

Lancaster got his tactics wrong against Wales and Italy I don't think you can blame individual players for being played out of position e.g wood brown and lawes

Did you know that Ashton scored far more tries than George North in 2012/2013 his defence was baddddd but I've seen plenty of missed tackles this tour from Cuthbert Hogg and Maitland

Tiger/Chief

Back to top Go down

Post by thomh Mon 17 Jun 2013, 8:37 am

I thought that Hartley had mended his ways.

thomh

Back to top Go down

Post by irfon17 Mon 17 Jun 2013, 7:52 pm

Quote: Tiger/Chief
The saint.... Do you honestly think Wales were that good against France and Scotland???? 

They did what needed to be done and although the performance on the field may not have been convincing, the result never seemed in doubt (I did not see the France game so I'm extrapolating based on what I have heard/read and what I saw of the Scotland game). 

The great England team of the early 2000's did not always play well or play pretty but they ground out results. I seem to remember them being outscored 3 tries to 1 in a certain world cup quarter final but I do not remember them being criticised for playing poorly because they did what they needed to do.

irfon17

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down