The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gwent Dragons 2013/14 thread

+39
wayne
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
Shifty
richy_l_p
prop_lyd
Notch
George Carlin
VinceWLB
Seagultaf
Taffineastbourne
Knowsit17
glamorganalun
Welly
Impossible Standards
Jhamer25
Breadvan
welshy824 (new)
maestegmafia
wrfc1980
Scrumpy
XR
Hound of Harrow
ScarletSpiderman
Coleman
Cardiff Dave
doctornickolas
munkian
youngguns6
Luckless Pedestrian
The Saint
dragon4life
GavinDragon
bedfordwelsh
Welshmushroom
dragon999
LordDowlais
pioden gorllewin
Stone Motif
snowy2
43 posters

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next

Go down

Gwent Dragons 2013/14 thread - Page 6 Empty Gwent Dragons 2013/14 thread

Post by Guest Tue 18 Jun 2013, 7:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

A place for general Dragons chat, etc.

After renewing my season ticket recently, and with Lyn Jones being unveiled as the new DoR (yeah I know, some people thinks he's gash, but whatever), plus the training facilities at Ystrad Mynach, I feel a bit of a buzz and optimism around the Dragons. Saying that I do generally get a feeling of optimism pre season every year which usually goes by about mid October!

Just watched the Wales U20's get to the final of the Jnr World Championships and a couple of lads looked really good - Jack Dixon a rock in midfield, Hallam Amos an elusive runner at FB/wing and Ieuan Jones looking like a very good prospect at 8. Will be good to see how the go next season for the Dragons. I think their regional appearances have certainly helped them in this Jnr cup in terms of experience. Looking forward to seeing them play with the likes of Faletau, Coombes, Talei, T Rhys Thomas, etc. next season.

Anyone want to make a stab at our strongest matchday 15/23 for next season? Will have a stab myself after a bit of thought.

Back to top Go down

Gwent Dragons 2013/14 thread - Page 6 Empty Re: Gwent Dragons 2013/14 thread

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 08 Aug 2013, 3:42 pm

With Kingsleys connections with Russia surely there must be a nasty dog of a 2nd rower we could bring in and even a just a nasty basic no flashes t/head.

Players who just do the dog work week in week out.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 08 Aug 2013, 3:51 pm

We've brought in Matthew Screech too from the Blues haven't we? He's a lock. So:

Sidoli
A Jones
Nimmo
Coombes (international class lock now Wink )
Screech
Groves

6 locks but none of them outstanding. Could do with an Ian Evans or a Alun Wyn Jones!

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Thu 08 Aug 2013, 3:52 pm

Griff wrote:We've brought in Matthew Screech too from the Blues haven't we? He's a lock. So:

Sidoli
A Jones
Nimmo
Coombes (international class lock now Wink )
Screech
Groves

6 locks but none of them outstanding. Could do with an Ian Evans or a Alun Wyn Jones!
Agreed Griff but we couldn't afford an Evans or AWJ Sad
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:15 am

Well this is great news:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-23587323

Rolling Eyes 

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 12 Aug 2013, 11:07 am

Doesn't sound good Luckless. Why oh why would they not start with the problem end and get that sorted. I mean, that's just asking for trouble if you leave the worst bit til the end with an un-moveable deadline looming.

The problem they've got is that, apart from the pitch being ancient and not having modern systems in place, they've also got 3 teams playing on it. That must be unheard of pretty much in pro sport (OK Newport RFC and semi-pro, but you get my point). The 'healing' time for pitches after use must be similar from one grass pitch to another, so the Rodney Parade pitch is bound to suffer with 1 (or in most cases 2) extra teams playing on their pitch than their rivals do.

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Mon 12 Aug 2013, 11:13 am

It does seem strange that they started from the south end, but in fairness to them, when was the last time we had a heatwave and a long dry spell in the summer? It sounds like the drainage should be better anyway, even though they haven't managed to finish what they had planned.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Mon 12 Aug 2013, 11:20 am

Should have started North Terrace end, always problems that end of pitch
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 13 Aug 2013, 7:21 pm

Planet Rugby interview with new recruit Burton who seems to think he will be part of a creative edge at the Dragons...? Not sure he will be first choice often enough to really impact the team...!

Newport Gwent Dragons new arrival Kristopher Burton has underlined his ambitions for the club ahead of the new season.

The former Italy international, who retired from Test rugby with 21 caps following the Six Nations earlier this year, is set for his first stint playing in the UK after several years with Treviso.
Recruited to compete alongside Jason Tovey and Steffan Jones for the number ten shirt at Rodney Parade, Burton is renowned for his tactical kicking but is looking to open up in attack with the Dragons under the coaching of Lyn Jones.
"I like to organise things but I also enjoy having ball in hand and I probably haven't had that at Treviso for the last year or so," said Burton to the South Wales Argus.
"I haven't had as much to do in attack because of the patterns and the way I've been asked to play.
"I am sure there will be plenty of chances to have a go this season, we want to have an attacking game plan and that's the only way you win games.
"Of course kicks make a big difference but I'm not just going to focus on that and as a team we want to play expansive rugby.
"I've played against Tov and Steffan so know they are quality players. There's great competition and I'm ready for the challenge.
"I think we are different types of players as well, so I suppose there are options for the coaches.
"It's all a new experience for me and I can't wait for the season - change is always good.
"I've always been interested in playing in the UK, the chance has finally come and I want to make the most of it."

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Tue 13 Aug 2013, 11:10 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Planet Rugby interview with new recruit Burton who seems to think he will be part of a creative edge at the Dragons...? Not sure he will be first choice often enough to really impact the team...!
Fortunately whilst old Lyn is a wind up merchant, he is not a fool. Burton and Rees are the best half back combination we can field and the jerseys are theirs to lose imo. Rees has more to worry about from Jon Evans than Burton has from Stef and Jason unfortunately.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 14 Aug 2013, 8:50 am

I don't think any of our 10s (Burton defininte) or 9s will be away on international duty so there will be a real fight for positions.

How are our wingers doing ? Will Prydie be fullback or on the wing ? Jon Evans is on the mend I think, no idea about Pooley
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 14 Aug 2013, 8:56 am

At least one of our 9s should be away on international duty...

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 14 Aug 2013, 9:03 am

munkian wrote:I don't think any of our 10s (Burton defininte) or 9s will be away on international duty so there will be a real fight for positions.

How are our wingers doing ? Will Prydie be fullback or on the wing ? Jon Evans is on the mend I think, no idea about Pooley
Prydie could well prosper if Tovey plays. He doesn't have Brew's physicality or engine but he does have pace. Tov and Brew used to chop and change where they were in the line and cause all sorts of chaos but after Mr Tovey failed to kick on I realised this was down to Brew being a very under-rated player rather than any genius ten play from his fly half. Can see Tovey ending up at full back a fair bit if I'm honest.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 14 Aug 2013, 9:05 am

How many tries did Brew score from kicks in behind from Tovey? Defences never seemed to cotton on to the tactic either.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 14 Aug 2013, 9:12 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:At least one of our 9s should be away on international duty...

Yes mate, agree they should but neither of their Dads is a former beloved Welsh player Wink 

Tovey did set up some very nice crossfield kicks for Brew, pitty he didnt for Chav
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 14 Aug 2013, 9:21 am

Luckless Pedestrian wrote:How many tries did Brew score from kicks in behind from Tovey? Defences never seemed to cotton on to the tactic either.
Even when they did Brew usually had enough to beat the sweeper or full back and finish the try
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 14 Aug 2013, 9:27 am

He scored a lovely try against Munster 3/4 seasons back, left Howlett for dead.

I'd love Brew back, never shone internationally but great regional player, he's put some huge hits in, usually from his own up and unders.
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 14 Aug 2013, 9:27 am

munkian wrote:

Tovey did set up some very nice crossfield kicks for Brew, pitty he didnt for Chav
Well, quite. This is a weakness in his game, he's so left-foot dominant he'll need a winger in imperious form to get on to his kicks and breaks. With the firepower we have in the likes of Hughes and potentially Harries if he gets back to form Tovey would arguably best fit in at FB, coming into the line at ten to vary the attack on occasion. You could play the steady head at 10 then and allay some of the supposed weaknesses in Burton's attacking play.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 14 Aug 2013, 9:56 am

What about Burtons lack of defence? Surely that will be a huge weakness?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by dragon999 Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:06 am

maestegmafia wrote:What about Burtons lack of defence? Surely that will be a huge weakness?

Can't be worse than Steffs!

dragon999

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:21 am

maestegmafia wrote:What about Burtons lack of defence? Surely that will be a huge weakness?

:Laugh: What, as opposed to those world-class defenders Jason Tovey and Steffan Jones? Give me strength, there's bias over picking WQ players and then there is blatantly ignoring evidence.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:28 am

There aren't many great defensive 10s out there anyway
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:34 am

munkian wrote:There aren't many great defensive 10s out there anyway
And those that are defensively solid get called into a heap for not being able to attack etc.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 14 Aug 2013, 10:42 am

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
munkian wrote:There aren't many great defensive 10s out there anyway
And those that are defensively solid get called into a heap for not being able to attack etc.
Poor 10s Sad 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 14 Aug 2013, 11:09 am

I agree you can count on one hand the good defensive tens out there but to single Burton out to me can only be based on bias against him as an Italian player. He never shirks his defensive duties even though he can be beaten in defence, whilst his competition at the Drags have regularly put in displays that are lazy at best and cowardly at worst.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 14 Aug 2013, 11:19 am

To be fair to him, Biggar has upped his defensive work I guess

munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 14 Aug 2013, 11:21 am

Stone Motif wrote:

:Laugh: What, as opposed to those world-class defenders Jason Tovey and Steffan Jones? Give me strength, there's bias over picking WQ players and then there is blatantly ignoring evidence.
Wow you haven't changed, still pointlessly aggressive...!!!

What evidence are you talking about?

Burton is a pretty average player. Have you ever seen him play well?

If Tovey had of signed back to the Dragons before they brought in Burton, they would not have contracted Burton.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 14 Aug 2013, 11:33 am

maestegmafia wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

If Tovey had of signed back to the Dragons before they brought in Burton, they would not have contracted Burton.
Sorry, what have I said that was aggressive? For the record, you haven't changed either, hyping average Welsh players over better NWQ's on the basis of a Scrum V highlight reel. I've seen Burton play well in the Rabo many times, including in the flesh when Treviso were beating the Dragons at home with golden boots opposite him at 10. An average international he may be but to get to that level is an aspiration for Jones and Tov at the moment - both are currently average regional players at best. They are both worse defenders than Burton by a country mile apiece, in fact I'd say Stef is one of the worst defenders in pro rugby!
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 14 Aug 2013, 11:40 am

I've seen Burton play well against us Very Happy 
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 14 Aug 2013, 11:54 am

maestegmafia wrote:Burton is a pretty average player. Have you ever seen him play well?
He was excellent when Treviso beat the Scarlets in Llanelli a few months ago. Their back row bossed the breakdown, but he ran the show from outside half. It was just the kind of controlling display we've been lacking.

maestegmafia wrote:If Tovey had of (sic) signed back to the Dragons before they brought in Burton, they would not have contracted Burton.
Which member of the Dragons board told you that?

EDIT: My mistake, it was the Scarlets game I was thinking of.

Last edited by Luckless Pedestrian on Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:14 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:

Burton was pretty good in the destruction of the Scarlets at PYS at the end of last season. He isn't a rock in defence but pretty decent, and has a pretty reliable boot too. I think he will be a decent inclussion to the Dragons first team.

Personally I think I would go for the following as a set of backs (with players separated by / being rotated depending on opposition etc)

Rees / Evans
Burton / S Jones
Prydie / Harris
Dixon
Hughes
Evans / Poole
Tovey / Evans
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:18 pm

I hope Hughes get to actually play in the centre this season, wasted a bit on the wing.

Hope Pooley survives aswell !
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:27 pm

munkian wrote:I hope Hughes get to actually play in the centre this season, wasted a bit on the wing.

Couldn't agree more.

If Dragons can build a decent forward platform that backline has the ability to be great to watch, pace and youth throughout. Hence considering a talented player like Tovey or Jones would be far more useful than a kicking minded player like Burrton.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:39 pm

Maes, considering the car crash that was last season, I want us to focus on results first and foremost. Burton putting us in the right areas and kicking his goals should be just the man for the job. Once we have a few wins under our belts, we can look to adapt.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:48 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
munkian wrote:I hope Hughes get to actually play in the centre this season, wasted a bit on the wing.

Couldn't agree more.

If Dragons can build a decent forward platform that backline has the ability to be great to watch, pace and youth throughout. Hence considering a talented player like Tovey or Jones would be far more useful than a kicking minded player like Burrton.
thank god you're not Dragons coach
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:52 pm

Quick question Maes, how come you're not pontificating about how the O's need to drop Biggar for Matthew Morgan? Same situation really.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:53 pm

I can actually picture Burton coming in and playing the first few games, making a few mistakes and having the crowd turn on him. Thus setting the precedent for the new season.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Wed 14 Aug 2013, 1:09 pm

That's funny, I can see him being the difference in winning tight games we lost last season. There were a few derbies among them.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by GavinDragon Wed 14 Aug 2013, 1:13 pm

im just happy they'll be playing in ebbw vale! Yahoo 

GavinDragon

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 14 Aug 2013, 1:49 pm

GavinDragon wrote:im just happy they'll be playing in ebbw vale! Yahoo 
Yeah, can't wait to see all the locals turn out in their Ospreys shirts and cheer on the opposition. Not my words, the words of my mate who is an EV supporter who has bought into the Dragons.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 14 Aug 2013, 1:54 pm

Stone Motif wrote:Quick question Maes, how come you're not pontificating about how the O's need to drop Biggar for Matthew Morgan? Same situation really.
Not at all, Biggar has played very well

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:06 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:Quick question Maes, how come you're not pontificating about how the O's need to drop Biggar for Matthew Morgan? Same situation really.
But he's not as talented an attacking player as wee Matthew is he surely? Even though Morgan is as much use as Barbara Cartland in defence, surely the O's need to get their most talented attacking player and worst defender into the ten slot to get the most out of their young Welsh backline?
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:13 pm

Stone Motif wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
But he's not as talented an attacking player as wee Matthew is he surely? Even though Morgan is as much use as Barbara Cartland in defence, surely the O's need to get their most talented attacking player and worst defender into the ten slot to get the most out of their young Welsh backline?
Two seasons ago I might have slightly agreed with you as Biggar was in poor form, though since Tandy took over he has been superb in attack and defence.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:55 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Two seasons ago I might have slightly agreed with you as Biggar was in poor form, though since Tandy took over he has been superb in attack and defence.

I don't think he is better or worse than two seasons ago. Biggar is just Biggar. A good, reliable club player and an average, stop-gap player at international level. Ospreys really need him though. They're severely weak at 10 without him.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:58 pm

The Saint wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

I don't think he is better or worse than two seasons ago. Biggar is just Biggar. A good, reliable club player and an average, stop-gap player at international level. Ospreys really need him though. They're severely weak at 10 without him.
He has definitely improved, you are just forgetting what a petulant little whatsit he was prior to Tandy...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Wed 14 Aug 2013, 3:05 pm

Well you're right his attitude has improved. That's about it though. I was actually surprised at the Ospreys lack of recruitment this year. They seem to be covered well everywhere by youth, but could have done with an experience fly-half and centre coming in.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by munkian Wed 14 Aug 2013, 3:06 pm

Alot of the Hairspreys were petulant little wotsits Very Happy
munkian
munkian

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Wed 14 Aug 2013, 3:37 pm

munkian wrote:Alot of the Hairspreys were petulant little wotsits Very Happy
To be honest a few still seem a bit that way (on the field anyway).

Is it just me or does anyone else remember hte start of last season, the Ospreys lost 3 on the bounce, Biggar was totally out of favour with the fans, and Metro Racing wanted him to sign, much to the delight of most Osp supporters.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 14 Aug 2013, 3:39 pm

The Saint wrote:Well you're right his attitude has improved. That's about it though. I was actually surprised at the Ospreys lack of recruitment this year. They seem to be covered well everywhere by youth, but could have done with an experience fly-half and centre coming in.
I think its a case of there is no budget to recruit when trying to hold on to six lions in the pack...!

Tito will be interesting as a nine, Webb out for a long spell and Habberfield being justifiably thought of us a very realistic replacement for Khan...

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 14 Aug 2013, 3:45 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Is it just me or does anyone else remember hte start of last season, the Ospreys lost 3 on the bounce, Biggar was totally out of favour with the fans, and Metro Racing wanted him to sign, much to the delight of most Osp supporters.
Something like that...!

Can't remember who we gave a good beating too to get over it, but we started to click well by the end of the fourth game, think it was an away match too..???

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Stone Motif Wed 14 Aug 2013, 3:56 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Stone Motif wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Oh right so it's form that's important now is it? God help us in the Kingdom of Gwent if Tovey or Stef get the nod as front line ten then.
Stone Motif
Stone Motif

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13 ... 20  Next