The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who are the smartest fighters in Boxing history..

+9
davidemore
J.Benson II
horizontalhero
superflyweight
BlakkMamba
Pedro147
Adam D
hazharrison
TRUSSMAN66
13 posters

Go down

Who are the smartest fighters in Boxing history.. Empty Who are the smartest fighters in Boxing history..

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:44 pm

Ike Williams - Used to manage himself in an era when Black boxers were ripped off by White Managers.........

Larry Holmes - Stayed away from Las vegas and invested all his money in Easton property..........

Gene Tunney - Retired at the right time and invested wisely...........

Pete Rademacher - Fought for the Heavy title in his first fight and used it to make his name in the business world...

Rocky Marciano - Used to count every dollar apparently.....

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Who are the smartest fighters in Boxing history.. Empty Re: Who are the smartest fighters in Boxing history..

Post by hazharrison Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:54 pm

If you're looking for success stories, Max Schmeling would be tough to beat. Ditto Big George and his grills.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Who are the smartest fighters in Boxing history.. Empty Re: Who are the smartest fighters in Boxing history..

Post by Adam D Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:57 pm

I would add David Haye to the list - has managed to keep himself near the top of the challengers list without really fighting anyone any good.

Quite smart! (although I really dont like him)

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:59 pm

Klit Brothers - Fluent in several languages and both have degree qualifications.

Nathan Cleverly - Degree in Maths. Also is a World Champion despite his only notable win being over a blind folded, one legged lepper.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:03 pm

Being a good academic doesn't make you smart..

Foreman is a good call......Someone else was offered the role of being the face of that grill and turned it down.........can't remember who...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:04 pm

Carl Froch - isn't flashy with his money but invests it in properties instead.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:06 pm

He seems to have his head screwed on....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:06 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Being a good academic doesn't make you smart..

Foreman is a good call......Someone else was offered the role of being the face of that grill and turned it down.........can't remember who...

I think we'd be here all night if we tried to define intelligence.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:10 pm

Just think being good at maths means you're good at maths....Some of the half wits we've had working for us with degrees..

But you're right It's hard to define..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:17 pm

To be honest i think Joe Calzaghe has to be up there. He made millions for years taking no risk fights, and when he did risk himself it was only at the end of his career when he had made plenty of cash.

Whilst I don't think that's good for the sport or his legacy, it must have done great things for his bank account.

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:19 pm

I kind of disagree...........Rademacher had no talent but the rest fought the best and invested their money.......

Sure Joe was financially smart but he'll always wonder just what kind of a legacy he could have left..

The aforementioned didn't die wondering..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:07 pm

Foreman is a good call......Someone else was offered the role of being the face of that grill and turned it down.........can't remember who....

Hulk Hogan turned it down. Hulk angry! Hulk mad!

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:14 pm

Lennox Lewis. Made good decisions right through his career;
Choose to be based in UK where he was guaranteed more interest than if he choose USA
Fought for all the titles available to him which gave him good career progression
Swapped trainers when it clear he needed a change
Retired at the right time
Invested wisely, and has stable lifestyle , so likely to keep it.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:18 pm

superflyweight wrote:

Foreman is a good call......Someone else was offered the role of being the face of that grill and turned it down.........can't remember who....

Hulk Hogan turned it down.  Hulk angry!  Hulk mad!

Wrestling fan huh

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by superflyweight Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:20 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
superflyweight wrote:

Hulk Hogan turned it down.  Hulk angry!  Hulk mad!

Wrestling fan huh

No, I just know a lot of pointless trivia about grilling machines. For example, did you know that Breville was founded in Sydney in 1932.

superflyweight
Superfly
Superfly

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:27 pm

My Great-Grandad founded the company........where the term beefster comes from..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:37 pm

Audley Harrison.
Made millions despite being at best, a fringe Euro level contender.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:39 pm

Audley traded on his gold medal.........Traded well.........Smart for sure but not smart enough to realise he's got nowhere to go now..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:45 pm

For me i have never witnessed anyone smarter than Mayeather. 

And in his prime i though Holyfield was a smart guy. Oh, and B-Hop, cunning and smart. So many of the elite have to be, JMM, smart as a whip, like me, emore.

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:52 pm

I was thinking more in a business sense but you make good points..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by davidemore Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:00 am

Oh, lol. All these cats made money to. I watch talent like Degale, Nathan Clev and alike and think, stoopid.

Is that wrong?

davidemore

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:02 am

These cats fought the best......and kept their money and Rademacher who used one fight to launch a succesful business venture..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:10 am

SRR - Decided to do his best work at WW knowing there's no actual footage of him to prove beyond all doubt he's probaby the the finest fighter so people would forever talk about him....genius.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:22 am

Kennedy also got himself shot so he could blame LBJ for Vietnam....I like the way your mind works DAVE.......

No sugar in mine..

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:26 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:36 am

Max Schmeling was a sharp man and became a very successful business man after his boxing career.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:41 am

I think we'd be here all night if we tried to define intelligence

Some would be here all night trying to spell it

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:42 am

Don't be so hard on yourself.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by BlakkMamba Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:45 am

DAVE667 wrote:
I think we'd be here all night if we tried to define intelligence

Some would be here all night trying to spell it

haha you and Truss break me up Smile

BlakkMamba

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:47 am

Don't be so hard on yourself.

Someone has to be, been very disappointed with my last four trips to the Oyster (this week)

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:50 am

Mustn't have liked your tea...cuppa

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:02 am

Well I did piddle in it...although there was one guy who said he thought there was too much tea in it for his liking

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:55 am

You would have to say Sugar Ray Leonard has not done too badly out of the game. Always got a good deal for himself when fighting and still makes good money on the after dinner and motivational speaking circuit.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:34 am

TRUSS

You and I park our cars in the same garage.

I was thinking of writing this very same article yesterday. WE ARE ONE YOU AND I.

Anyway my offering will be Larry Holmes who invested very well after his career even tho he is as bitter as they come.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:13 am

Mayweather has cracked the formula that has troubled boxers for ever, that is:
Q: How to be an idiot when regarding your money and still remain rich?
A: Simple, 100% unwavering commitment, intrinsically tied into your over inflated ego to stay at the top of the boxing game for 15+ years, that way you earn so much that even an idiot can't waste it.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down