The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lleyton Hewitt

+6
lydian
CaledonianCraig
laverfan
LuvSports!
invisiblecoolers
bogbrush
10 posters

Go down

Lleyton Hewitt Empty Lleyton Hewitt

Post by bogbrush Mon 24 Jun 2013, 11:48 pm

I mean, what a great result today! He beats the 10th best player in the World, just a few days after beating the 
8th best (JMDP).

The guy gets unfairly dismissed; if he was so mediocre at his peak, just how is he coming back after God knows how many career threatening injuries, at an age when he's far past his best even without allowing for those injuries, and troubling top players?

Dustin Brown next, and after that a fight with Isner that he'd just relish.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Lleyton Hewitt Empty Re: Lleyton Hewitt

Post by Guest Tue 25 Jun 2013, 12:24 am

CMAAAAAAWNNNNN!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 25 Jun 2013, 12:26 am

A fight with Isner would be awesome if he makes it.

A critics on him , Roddick and Safin are too much, and it actually come only from WUMs, you know that.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by LuvSports! Tue 25 Jun 2013, 12:52 am

Dustin brown is awesome! Saw him today.
Been a fan of his for years but hes been on the challenger tour so much and doing doubles so was great to see him Very Happy

LuvSports!

Back to top Go down

Post by laverfan Tue 25 Jun 2013, 12:56 am

He is a tremendous fighter. I think he can beat Brown. He has recent win over Isner as well. Go Ozzie!

laverfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Jun 2013, 5:04 am

Would anyone be surprised if Hewitt made it to the quarters?

He can beat anyone outside the top four even now.

In fact he's still probably good enough to be top 10 if he could avoid injury for a whole year.

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 25 Jun 2013, 5:32 am

emancipator wrote:Would anyone be surprised if Hewitt made it to the quarters?

He can beat anyone outside the top four even now.

In fact he's still probably good enough to be top 10 if he could avoid injury for a whole year.

Certainly on grass he is a force to reckon with, ask Del Potro, on the wrong receiving end every time.furious

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Tue 25 Jun 2013, 7:29 am

A great win indeed. The way is open now for him to reach the second week on a surface he is most at home on.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 25 Jun 2013, 8:15 am

I'm glad people are pleased for him. I think he's an example to all, he must love the game and competition greatly. To go from #1 and Slam winner through all his problems and now an also-ran status, yet keep fighting is admirable.

Lleyton is a guy you'd want in the trenches with you.

If Tomic could take 10% of what he's got he'd be a threat.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lydian Tue 25 Jun 2013, 8:20 am

Hewitt is maligned for sure...part of the "rollover generation" I believe.
The guy is a great fast court player but been blighted by injury for many years. Now his toe has finally fused after radical surgery last year that they said would take 12 months to heal we can maybe get glimpses of what he can truly do serious injury free. Quarters is very realistic...and we even know he's caused Federer issues on grass before.
lydian
lydian

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Tue 25 Jun 2013, 8:21 am

My issue was always with Roddick - I never thought his talent warranted him having Sampras / Agassi before him and then Roger after him in the No.1 stakes

Hewitt was fine with me. Not a favourite of mine, but always like his desire and game

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 25 Jun 2013, 8:24 am

It's brilliant - I had Wawrinka to win over Hewitt but I thought it would be 4 hard fought sets.  Hewitt is just such an awesome fighter and a wonderful player.  Despite all kinds of surgery and having fallen a long way from his peak, if you have a ticket to watch Hewitt you know that it will be a thoroughly entertaining match.

Would be great to see a grand run!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Tue 25 Jun 2013, 3:28 pm

time please wrote:It's brilliant - I had Wawrinka to win over Hewitt but I thought it would be 4 hard fought sets.  Hewitt is just such an awesome fighter and a wonderful player.  Despite all kinds of surgery and having fallen a long way from his peak, if you have a ticket to watch Hewitt you know that it will be a thoroughly entertaining match.

I saw him lose to Roddick in 5 in 2009 (the year Roddick was so unlucky to lose the final to Fed). He looked like being blown off early on but ground the match to a very close finish.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 25 Jun 2013, 3:43 pm

Rollover geenration or not you could never accuse Hewitt of a rollover Cmawn Lleyton!

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue 25 Jun 2013, 3:54 pm

I am one of those people who is a little harsh to Hewitt, but I dont think Ive ever criticized or doubted his grass dexterity. Will applaud his refusal to go away though (not as a criticism).

I've said this about Haas too: these guys are the faces of bionic technology. In the next ten years athletes will change and upgrade joints in the same way they change strings..
©Kingraf2013
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Tue 25 Jun 2013, 3:59 pm

bogbrush wrote:
time please wrote:It's brilliant - I had Wawrinka to win over Hewitt but I thought it would be 4 hard fought sets.  Hewitt is just such an awesome fighter and a wonderful player.  Despite all kinds of surgery and having fallen a long way from his peak, if you have a ticket to watch Hewitt you know that it will be a thoroughly entertaining match.

I saw him lose to Roddick in 5 in 2009 (the year Roddick was so unlucky to lose the final to Fed). He looked like being blown off early on but ground the match to a very close finish.

I remember the match (both of them) really well - what a ticket to have to see the Hewitt/Roddick one live! Agree it was a heartbreaker for Roddick to lose to Fed as for much of the match he had been the better player.

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Tue 25 Jun 2013, 7:05 pm

That was one of the fantastic performance by the finalist, great match against Andy in the semis and Hewitt in the quarters and one helluva match against TMF in the finals.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue 25 Jun 2013, 7:41 pm

Nothing Hewitt has done changes my estimate of him which is quite fair. He is a great player, a deserving slam champion, but a weak world #1. In that super elite category of players that feature Sampras, Federer, Becker, Borg, Agassi, Nadal, Djokovic, Mac, Connors, and Lendl; Hewitt is below par, period and end of story. I know many on this site have difficulty with reading comprehension and relative arguments but this has always been my position on Hewitt and has not changed by him winning a first round match at a slam.

He certainly the best player of the rollover generation, and injuries in many ways did limit his effectiveness but Hewitt had lengthy healthy periods over the course of the last 8 or 9 years and never was able to approach his early success. I wish him the best he is a fighter and is a player who on and off the court really brought it. If he rolled over for Rog it was the simple fact that he is a less talented player and suffered a lot of debilitating injuries.

In terms of maligning players, a certain individual who for years derided Djokovic as a fluke and one hit wonder who won his slam because Roger had mono is now so upset at people who malign Roddick and Hewitt.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down