The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Murray the heavy favourite now - Part II

+32
Gerry SA
hawkeye
Andy11
barrystar
lydian
yloponom68
skyeman
andyi
LuvSports!
slashermcguirk
socal1976
Born Slippy
coolpixel
JubbaIsle
Haddie-nuff
CaledonianCraig
Dave.
JuliusHMarx
Danny_1982
Calder106
ChequeredJersey
time please
The Special Juan
break_in_the_fifth
ryan86
Silver
HM Murdock
bogbrush
banbrotam
Duty281
kingraf
invisiblecoolers
36 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Murray the heavy favourite now - Part II Empty Murray the heavy favourite now - Part II

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:23 pm

No idea what happened to my earlier thread "Murray the heavy favourite for the title" , when I posted the orginal thread I kept Murray's grass court stats in mind which he is 7th overall and 2nd only to Federer among current players.

Now with both Nadal and Federer knocked out Murray is easily the heavy favourite, I know Djoko is still left, but all of a sudden Djoko's draw looks more tough than Murray's draw. Very Happy

No Tsonga, Nadal and Fed , who can expect this luck, the real danger mens are Del Potro and Berdych and both now breathing hard on the other side of the draw.

Murray make merry of it and get the title and the no.1 for the year, Go Muzza go.Yahoo

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Murray the heavy favourite now - Part II Empty Re: Murray the heavy favourite now - Part II

Post by kingraf Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:24 pm

And suddenly... you are completely on the money!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Murray the heavy favourite now - Part II Empty Re: Murray the heavy favourite now - Part II

Post by Duty281 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:26 pm

The path to the final was blocked for Murray by Tsonga and Federer/Nadal. Now all 3 of those are gone. He can't have wished for an easier path to the final now, so what a chance for Murray to end 77 years of hurt.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:27 pm

Be interesting how Andy handles been the clear favourite in his half. If he revels in it and breezes through, then yes it will have been an advantage

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:29 pm

Duty281 wrote:The path to the final was blocked for Murray by Tsonga and Federer/Nadal. Now all 3 of those are gone. He can't have wished for an easier path to the final now, so what a chance for Murray to end 77 years of hurt.

The path was never blocked by Tsonga, who I'd argue Andy relishes playing out of any of the Top 20 (other than Cilic!!)

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:29 pm

Don't take this wrong Murray fans, but I feel tennis desperately needs Andy & Novak to go out soon too. Week two would be like breathing fresh air.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:30 pm

I have never in my life seen a draw open up like this. It's startling.

What's the highest ranked player it is possible for Andy to face before the final?

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:31 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:I have never in my life seen a draw open up like this. It's startling.

What's the highest ranked player it is possible for Andy to face before the final?

Unbelievably, I think it's Almagro at #15.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:35 pm

Silver wrote:
HM Murdoch wrote:I have never in my life seen a draw open up like this. It's startling.

Unbelievably, I think it's Almagro at #15.
That's astonishing.

We've been talking in fractions but I think Andy must be the overwhelming favourite now.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:35 pm

bogbrush wrote:Don't take this wrong Murray fans, but I feel tennis desperately needs Andy & Novak to go out soon too. Week two would be like breathing fresh air.

Add Berdych and Del Potro and I might look forward to it Wink

Could you imagine, say (I've not checked the possibilities) of Gasquet and Tomic playing each other in the final. They'd be falling over each other to lose it!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Silver Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:36 pm

Very true, he'll never have a better opportunity. Though he'll need to go through some form horses - a route of Robredo, Youzhny, Gulbis and Janowicz is still pretty perilous, despite the lower rankings.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:37 pm

15 - Almagro (SF)
20 - Youzhny (4r)
22 - Monaco (QF)
24 - Janowicz (SF)
25 - Paire (SF)

The seeds left in Murray's half.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:37 pm

bogbrush wrote:Don't take this wrong Murray fans, but I feel tennis desperately needs Andy & Novak to go out soon too. Week two would be like breathing fresh air.

I see what you're saying and I have no feelings of dislike towards either of them.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:41 pm

kingraf wrote:And suddenly... you are completely on the money!

Last year I said Murray will finish no.1 and will win a GS after his Wimbledon loss and the 2nd thing happened already lemme see whether the 1st thing will happen or not, but believe me everybody in this forum mocked me including Murray fans when I said he will be a future no.1 once for sure, now I wish how would the forum react when that happens censored

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:42 pm

Thing is though, for all the talk about easy draws, the last days have shown us that anyone is vulnerable.

It's not just Andy - every player left in the draw will see this as tournament as a huge opportunity now.

I expect more upsets.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:44 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Thing is though, for all the talk about easy draws, the last days have shown us that anyone is vulnerable.

It's not just Andy - every player left in the draw will see this as tournament as a huge opportunity now.

I expect more upsets.

Thats true but Andy is the heavy favourite to win the title however. Very Happy

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:47 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:

I see what you're saying and I have no feelings of dislike towards either of them.

I think it would be disappointing if we get the same old feeling of Murray/Djokovic, but at the same time I don't think they can just go too random and end up with something completely bizarre like Monaco v Melzer.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:48 pm

ryan86 wrote:15 - Almagro (SF)
20 - Youzhny (4r)
22 - Monaco (QF)
24 - Janowicz (SF)
25 - Paire (SF)

Robredo Sad
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:54 pm

I don't care as much if Murray wins now, if he wanted to he should have done in 2009-2011. He was better than all the players that won it in those years.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by time please Wed 26 Jun 2013, 8:58 pm

Hopefully Murray can keep his head while all around him in the BBC studios are losing theirs!

time please

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:00 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:I don't care as much if Murray wins now, if he wanted to he should have done in 2009-2011. He was better than all the players that won it in those years.

Shocked

Wouldn't he have won one of them if he were?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:03 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:
break_in_the_fifth wrote:I don't care as much if Murray wins now, if he wanted to he should have done in 2009-2011. He was better than all the players that won it in those years.

Shocked

David Ferrer Whistle

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Calder106 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:04 pm

HM Murdoch wrote:Thing is though, for all the talk about easy draws, the last days have shown us that anyone is vulnerable.

I expect more upsets.

Agree with this. Actually Murray is still second favourite to Djokovic with the bookies. Not sure why so many people are writing him off. He has after all won Wimbledon previously. Murray is undeniably favourite to get to the final from his side of the draw but who would have thought that Federer and Nadal would be out by Wednesday evening of the first week and that other potential QF rivals in Tsonga and Cilic would also be gone through injury. So to get there he will have to stay very focussed and treat his opponents in the same manner as he would if it were Federer or Nadal.

Calder106

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:04 pm

I aint saying anything, there plently of work to be done... hes experienced enough to understand that

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:06 pm

I don't think Murray is favourite because my tip before it started, Novak Djokovic, is still in the tournament.

You would imagine if both play fairly well that will be the final... But even saying that makes me nervous after what we've seen so far! I mean we've seen Fedal go out to players outside the top 100!

But I edge Novak personally.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:06 pm

There's some bloke called Stakhovsky in Andy's quarter but I can't imagine he'll trouble any of the top players.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:07 pm

time please wrote:Hopefully Murray can keep his head while all around him in the BBC studios are losing theirs!

clap

Yep, very much a case of "If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs", for Murray.

Looking at the draw, he SHOULD make the final. Then Fed SHOULD have made the QF, etc. Exciting times.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:09 pm

time please wrote:Hopefully Murray can keep his head while all around him in the BBC studios are losing theirs!

I won't say BBC studios are losing theirs coz they never had one.angel

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:09 pm

The way I see it is that if Federer and Nadal can lose to players ranked 100+ then so can Murray. Hopefully, he can avoid all the media hoo-hah and take one match at a time. Remember that his potential semi opponent is Janowicz who beat him at the end of last year so I am not counting my chickens. In any case the way things have panned out makes it a double-edged sword. More pressure and expectaion and an increased chance (if he makes it) of going into the final under-cooked.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:09 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:

Shocked

Yeah but the best player doesn't always win.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:10 pm

I think Stakhovsky and Darcis' performances were completely out of the blue. Darcis was superb and I'm not sure how to describe Sergiy's performance except unique. Does Robredo have the weapons to beat Murray? Not really. Youzhny or Troicki? Maybe the Colonel. Gulbis, Monaco or Verdasco? Probably yes to Gulbis and Verdasco, no to Monaco, and Gulbis and Verdasco could blow themselves out before the QF. In the other quarter, you're looking at Paire, Almagro or Janowicz. Frankly, I don't know which Paire would turn up so he's an unknown quantity. Murray would probably crush Almagro on grass again so, funnily enough, Janowicz is the most dangerous and there's no guarantee he'd get there. And after typing this I've completely forgotten what the point I'm trying to make was....
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:10 pm

But it will be one helluva a tournament if all Big 4 fails and would be the best if Ferrer takes it Laugh

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave. Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:10 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:The way I see it is that if Federer and Nadal can lose to players ranked 100+ then so can Murray. Hopefully, he can avoid all the media hoo-hah and take one match at a time. Remember that his potential semi opponent is Janowicz who beat him at the end of last year so I am not counting my chickens. In any case the way things have panned out makes it a double-edged sword. More pressure and expectaion and an increased chance (if he makes it) of going into the final under-cooked.

Aye, that's the swing of it. Want Janowicz to make the SFs now, let's see what he's made of.

Dave.

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:11 pm

invisiblecoolers wrote:But it will be one helluva a tournament if all Big 4 fails and would be the best if Ferrer takes it Laugh

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:11 pm

The Special Juan wrote:I think Stakhovsky and Darcis' performances were completely out of the blue.  Darcis was superb and I'm not sure how to describe Sergiy's performance except unique.  Does Robredo have the weapons to beat Murray?  Not really.  Youzhny or Troicki?  Maybe the Colonel.  Gulbis, Monaco or  Verdasco?  Probably yes to Gulbis and Verdasco, no to Monaco, and Gulbis and Verdasco could blow themselves out before the QF.  In the other quarter, you're looking at Paire, Almagro or Janowicz.  Frankly, I don't know which Paire would turn up so he's an unknown quantity.  Murray would probably crush Almagro on grass again so, funnily enough, Janowicz is the most dangerous and there's no guarantee he'd get there.   And after typing this I've completely forgotten what the point I'm trying to make was....

Laugh

Lemme know when you remember it.Hug

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:12 pm

JuliusHMarx wrote:
invisiblecoolers wrote:But it will be one helluva a tournament if all Big 4 fails and would be the best if Ferrer takes it Laugh

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know you would put your mods position at stake to prevent it happen Laugh

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:13 pm

Murray and Djokovic are solid in a way that Fed and Nadal weren't and haven't been lately.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:14 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:

Shocked

Yeah but the best player doesn't always win.

Isn't that how we tend to define "the best player"? The one who wins any given match? Or Tournament, for that matter Wink
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm

Exactly.

Can I remind everyone of my line prior to the tournamrnt starting? Whoever ends up winning it will have deserved it. And yes folks that DOES include Murray and Djokovic.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm

The ground is going to become a lot slower and emulate clay in the second week, who does that favour?
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:19 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:The way I see it is that if Federer and Nadal can lose to players ranked 100+ then so can Murray. Hopefully, he can avoid all the media hoo-hah and take one match at a time. Remember that his potential semi opponent is Janowicz who beat him at the end of last year so I am not counting my chickens. In any case the way things have panned out makes it a double-edged sword. More pressure and expectaion and an increased chance (if he makes it) of going into the final under-cooked.

clap:Well said Craig Nobody would have dreamt that either Roger or Rafa would have recognised either opponent as a potential banana skin. Opponents to be treated with respect yes but never that they could both produce the standard of tennis that they did. Andy has already said and I believe Novak likewise that nothing can be taken for granted ..every opponent is a threat. The underdogs are seeing that they have a chance and their mindest will be on doing the same when they go on court against Andy and Novak.. and please, whilst we are at it, let us not discount Ferrer in all of this his chances now are as good as anyone elses

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by CaledonianCraig Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:19 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:The ground is going to become a lot slower and emulate clay in the second week, who does that favour?

Is that fact or supposition? If fact then it will favour Novak no doubt.
CaledonianCraig
CaledonianCraig

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:20 pm

CaledonianCraig wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:The ground is going to become a lot slower and emulate clay in the second week, who does that favour?

Is that fact or supposition? If fact then it will favour Novak no doubt.

It's supposition, based on last year
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:20 pm

break_in_the_fifth wrote:Murray and Djokovic are solid in a way that Fed and Nadal weren't and haven't been lately.

Excuse me Nadal wasn´t solid lately ???? what the hell was he doing before Wimbledon.picard

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by bogbrush Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:21 pm

No, lets not forget this only happened because Nadal is crocked and Federer near the end.
bogbrush
bogbrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:22 pm

20 - Youzhny (4r)
22 - Monaco (QF)
24 - Janowicz (SF)
25 - Paire (SF)

Isn't Raonic in Murray's half?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by break_in_the_fifth Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:22 pm

Too late for Murray to win wimbledon legitimately I'm afraid. The other players are ok though they'll have avoided an in form Darcis.

break_in_the_fifth

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:22 pm

Haddie-nuff wrote:
break_in_the_fifth wrote:Murray and Djokovic are solid in a way that Fed and Nadal weren't and haven't been lately.

Excuse me Nadal wasn´t solid lately ???? what the hell was he doing before Wimbledon.picard

Nadal has lost to relative unknowns before. He is pretty strange in that his record against the top players is incredible but he can lose to "lesser" players
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:22 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:
20 - Youzhny (4r)
22 - Monaco (QF)
24 - Janowicz (SF)
25 - Paire (SF)

Isn't Raonic in Murray's half?

Daveed has him. Robredo is though (Murray meets him next).
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Haddie-nuff Wed 26 Jun 2013, 9:23 pm

I think you might have forgotten that Ferrer is essentially a clay court player.. the way this tournament is going nobody can be discounted.

Haddie-nuff

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next