The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Djokovic v. Haas, its like Rocky 5!

+4
Danny_1982
kingraf
banbrotam
socal1976
8 posters

Go down

Djokovic v. Haas, its like Rocky 5! Empty Djokovic v. Haas, its like Rocky 5!

Post by socal1976 Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:16 am

I have to say Haas has always given Novak problems and boasts a game that plays very well to grass so this will be a very dangerous test for Djokovic. That being said Djokovic is playing really, really well and has yet to drop his serve through the first 3 rounds. But what struck me was that this match reminded me of one of the great epics of American artistic achievement Rocky 5. The battered by injury older champion makes his comeback to face off against the new hotshot champion on tour. Will Rocky Haas pull off the upset? I think Djokovic in 4 tough and tricky sets, but I could see Haas pulling a shocker he is in good form. So unfortunately have to give the diplomatic answer, it should be tough 4 round of a slam.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Djokovic v. Haas, its like Rocky 5! Empty Re: Djokovic v. Haas, its like Rocky 5!

Post by banbrotam Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:27 am

socal

I've already told off another article writer for hype. Please refrain from the same Smile 

Indeed after today's Novak performance I'm praying that the hot weather and hence fast court at the end of next week does materialise - otherwise we may as well hand the trophy out now to Nole

I admire your journalistic skills though!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Djokovic v. Haas, its like Rocky 5! Empty Re: Djokovic v. Haas, its like Rocky 5!

Post by socal1976 Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:44 am

thank you banbro, nothing wrong for a little excitement to the affair. I agree with you on Novak he looked fantastic today, they could have played all day long and still chardy would be able to break his serve. I think the Andy and Novak final is looking more and more likely.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:48 am

Wasnt every Rocky about an old champ vs the young challenger/Champ/Russian after Rocky II?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:59 am

You could have picked a better Rocky film socal. Rocky 5 is the only film in the series I refuse to watch!

But yes, it could be a very entertaining match. If Novak plays like he did today he wins. In fact, if Murray and Djokovic play like they have in their 3rd round matches they'll both be in the final.

If they dip, we've seen what can happen... Especially against aggressive players. Berdych and Janowicz are the only two players I can see possibly stopping an Andy v Novak final.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:03 am

Nothing to fear from Delpo .... ?

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:04 am

And Verdasco?
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:10 am

Delpo could definitely challenge Novak, more so than Berdych, but he'll have to beat Ferrer first and I don't think he will.

Verdasco is a bit too flashy for me, and I think on grass Murray would have too much for him.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:19 am

Oh, I know he cant beat Murray on grass, but I keep the hope that someone knocks Murray out!!
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:34 am

[quote="Danny_1982" ]Verdasco is a bit too flashy for me, and I think on grass Murray would have too much for him.[/quote]

As does Andy's, is it, 8-1 head to head record

Mind you if Andy picks up a virus like he did in his only defeat, then Verdasco might win - but it'll take 5 sets picard 

Actually, kingraf's best chance is on Monday. Youzhny plays such an unorthodox game that Murray might throw a hissy fit

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:39 am

Youzhny is also kingraf's last chance for Murray to be knocked out before meeting Verdasco I believe too. They would meet in the quarters wouldn't they?

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:53 am

Rocky 5? Are you suggesting that Novak and Tommy should duke it out in the street whilst bizarrely people commentate over the news footage?! That would be AWESOME! Street tennis!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:54 am

Danny_1982 wrote:You could have picked a better Rocky film socal. Rocky 5 is the only film in the series I refuse to watch!

But yes, it could be a very entertaining match. If Novak plays like he did today he wins. In fact, if Murray and Djokovic play like they have in their 3rd round matches they'll both be in the final.

If they dip, we've seen what can happen... Especially against aggressive players. Berdych and Janowicz are the only two players I can see possibly stopping an Andy v Novak final.

For some reason I just don't fear Berdych that much as a Novak fan. I know Berdych has beaten Novak at wimbeldon back in 2010 but right now he is a different player and the H2H accurately reflects how lopsided this rivalry is. If he plays a decent match he can beat Berdych. Haas has a good slice backhand and can come to the net more, which allows him to have a different dimension. Del Po had a bit of an injury in his last match but he is a threat if he is playing well but he also is one that gives you the same look and same type of power game.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:56 am

HM Murdoch wrote:Rocky 5? Are you suggesting that Novak and Tommy should duke it out in the street whilst bizarrely people commentate over the news footage?! That would be AWESOME! Street tennis!

Decide the people's champion in a street fight, yeah good idea Murdoch, pretty funny but somehow I doubt it will fly.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:01 am

Socal, after today's performance, I can only echo a former thread of yours: Novak's on the attack and I had too much whiskey, dammit!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:06 am

HM Murdoch wrote:Socal, after today's performance, I can only echo a former thread of yours: Novak's on the attack and I had too much whiskey, dammit!

Yes Murdoch he was changing gears and handling today like Ferrari, absolutely had too many gears for poor Chardy. The funny thing is Chardy didn't play that bad. He has a bid serve and forehand and just could not hurt Djokovic at all. His serve in particular looks about as good as it ever has, is developing that ability like Federer to really hit to all 4 corners with deadly precision with all the serves.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:06 am

PS as long as you can type legibly you haven't had too much whiskey.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:10 am

socal1976 wrote:
Danny_1982 wrote:You could have picked a better Rocky film socal. Rocky 5 is the only film in the series I refuse to watch!

For some reason I just don't fear Berdych that much as a Novak fan. I know Berdych has beaten Novak at wimbeldon back in 2010 but right now he is a different player and the H2H accurately reflects how lopsided this rivalry is. If he plays a decent match he can beat Berdych. Haas has a good slice backhand and can come to the net more, which allows him to have a different dimension. Del Po had a bit of an injury in his last match but he is a threat if he is playing well but he also is one that gives you the same look and same type of power game.

Oh I don't think he will beat Novak, but he's the only one who could. And I say that because I don't think Delpo - who could really trouble him on grass as we already know - will get through Ferrer.

Haas may force a tie break, may even take a set... But does he have enough technically and physically to knock Novak out? Technically yes, but even if he stays with him for a while Novak will outlast him in the end.

Novak has a tougher draw than Andy on paper, but they are all players I can't see him losing to so I'm sure he'll be in the final more than Andy.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:14 am

Someone asked me an interesting question yesterday... If its Andy and Novak in the final - admittedly a long way off - and it rains and the roof is closed, who does it favour?

Both struggled with Federer under the roof last year, but then Federer is the greatest indoor player there's ever been. Who it would benefit between Andy and Novak is tougher to call. I think maybe just Novak.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:21 am

The whisky is in a distinguished rather than a debauched manner!

I'm impressed with Novak's serve, I've never seen it better.

My gut feeling is that his grass movement and game is still not at a level to beat Andy's a-game but if he serves this well he will be tough to beat.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:28 am

Did not see much of Nole today as I was mostly watching Dolgo/Ferrer match, but the scoreline suggests he is in good form.  Still, I am hoping Haas can at least give him a good fight - Haas's game matches up well vs Nole.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:31 am

Danny_1982 wrote:Someone asked me an interesting question yesterday... If its Andy and Novak in the final - admittedly a long way off - and it rains and the roof is closed, who does it favour?

Both struggled with Federer under the roof last year, but then Federer is the greatest indoor player there's ever been. Who it would benefit between Andy and Novak is tougher to call. I think maybe just Novak.
I'd say they split the difference.

Novak said on Thursday that it played slower than he expected under the roof. I'd say that is a marginal advantage to Novak. I also think the lack of wind is a slight advantage to Novak.

However...

I think the humidity of being under the roof affects Novak's movement fairly significantly but Andy seems to handle it well.

So I'd say: shots -advantage Novak. Movement - advantage Andy.

Overall, I'd still give Andy the edge.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:37 am

Let's slow down, ladies and gentlemen.  Obviously, Nole and Andy are favorites to make the final, but they are not quite there yet.  So, far, they have two final appearances between the two of them.  Especially Novak's side still has plenty of banana skins.  And who is to say that Jerzy - or someone else - may not play a lights out tennis and take Andy out?

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:42 am

summerblues wrote:Let's slow down, ladies and gentlemen.  Obviously, Nole and Andy are favorites to make the final, but they are not quite there yet.  So, far, they have two final appearances between the two of them.  Especially Novak's side still has plenty of banana skins.  And who is to say that Jerzy - or someone else - may not play a lights out tennis and take Andy out?

I did say its a long way off SB, and I'm worried about Janowicz in particular from an Andy perspective.

But it was an interesting question someone asked me and I wondered what people's views were.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:44 am

Not racing ahead, summerblues! Just responding to a hypothetical!

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:02 am

banbrotam wrote:socal

I've already told off another article writer for hype. Please refrain from the same Smile 

Was that in reference to me Laugh , outside you die hard Muzza fans who over hype their hero Socal came up with a meaningful article, Tommy Haas has every chance to upset Nole tomorrow, can it happen? Yes certainly possible, will it happen? I don't think so.

Banbro, you need to understand the the difference between the two future tense words.thumbsup 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:03 am

Del Potro is yet to lose a set and is playing magnificently , but yea he has no chance and he has never beaten Djoko and that too in grass.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:13 am

Haas played a tremendous match I honestly think he beats a lot of top players with level of play he displayed today. He won a fair share of the longer rallies and looked to me to be the fitter guy. Very strong performance by Tommy Balboa. He did not give up any errors and moved so well for a player of any age. Early on Haas was spraying fhs but in the second and third set that shot was pretty solid. Haas just could not contend with the Djokovic return as Novak generated so many more break chances and brought back and won points that should have been Haas aces or unreturnable serves.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:21 am

First set was poor but he was better in the second and good in the third.

Novak played most of the big points very well until the end of the third, when it all got a bit wobbly.

I loved the way that Tommy kept on giving it everything even when it seemed unlikely he had a chance of the win.

One thing that is worrying me is Novak's break point conversion. It must be really low.

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:26 am

Murdoch he did ok in BP conversion today. He still seems to go off the reservation for short spells during matches with his forehand consistency that was really what caused the two breaks. Still pretty good form and thru to the quarters. I am much more confident now about his game. The one area I will say I don't like is how loose he has been and complacent recently once he gets up in a match not like him at all.

Tommy really did battle, I mean some of those points felt like clay court tennis with the punishing nature of them. He made Novak keel over to catch his breath on more than one occasion. Haas in his peak was never this consistent and clean in terms of error counts, he just wouldn't miss.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:36 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:

Del Potro is yet to lose a set and is playing magnificently , but yea he has no chance and he has never beaten Djoko and that too in grass.

IC - Delpo would really push Novak, but I don't think he'll get the chance. He plays Ferrer next and Ferrer has won the last 4 meetings. He seems to negate all Delpo's weapons, and out manoeuvre him.

I'd love to see Delpo in the semi, but I really can't see it.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by HM Murdock Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:52 am

Break points today: 6/13  46%

v Chardy: 5/16 31%

v Reynolds: 4/18  22%

v Mayer: 3/11  27%

Total: 18/58 31%

HM Murdock

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:53 am

Not to mention Del Po looks to have come up with a bit of a bad leg injury as well, to me he is not moving like he usually does.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down