The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cotto vs Delvin Rodriguez / Trained by Roach

+2
Seanusarrilius
Valero's Conscience
6 posters

Go down

Cotto vs Delvin Rodriguez / Trained by Roach Empty Cotto vs Delvin Rodriguez / Trained by Roach

Post by Valero's Conscience Thu 11 Jul 2013, 12:43 pm

Dan Rafael of ESPN has announced this fight for October and that Roach will be training Cotto.

Firstly I think this is pointless for Cotto other than getting a win and boosting his confidence. Rodriguez has only won 3 of his last 9 fights.

Cotto has changed trainers a lot in the last few years and I don't think it's a good thing.

Your thoughts if true.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Cotto vs Delvin Rodriguez / Trained by Roach Empty Re: Cotto vs Delvin Rodriguez / Trained by Roach

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 11 Jul 2013, 12:54 pm

Personally I think Cotto is done at the highest end of the sport. In my eyes he had no business being a 154 and was giving away (with exception of Mayweather fight) too much weight. That said, it's Cotto. Still world class, still worth a watch.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Cotto vs Delvin Rodriguez / Trained by Roach Empty Re: Cotto vs Delvin Rodriguez / Trained by Roach

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 11 Jul 2013, 1:50 pm

I agree, he just isn't a light middle and by the sounds of it he really cant make 147, so he's stuck

He stands at 5"7 and at his best he preferred coming forward using his strength. He just can't do that at 154 fighters and while he can box on the back foot its not his natural style and he tires out

I remember I was only one of 2 who picked Trout to beat him and it was the easiest upset to call

Not alot he can do with world level fighters but he's a name and draws in big numbers

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 11 Jul 2013, 3:21 pm

Cotto's still one of the most popular fighters in boxing but this PPV will need a good undercard to do the numbers.

I think Roach will suit Cotto, I can't see how Cotto will get less exciting fighting with Roach. Cotto's a must see fighter for me.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu 11 Jul 2013, 4:15 pm

This isn't going to be PPV, surely?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 11 Jul 2013, 6:17 pm

Cotto/Trout wasn't PPV, so I'd be suprised if this was.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 11 Jul 2013, 6:23 pm

The fight is apparently headlining a Top Rank card on HBO. I assumed it being Top Rank on HBO it would be PPV. I could be wrong.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 11 Jul 2013, 6:51 pm

Risky move from HBO if true, Cotto is a big draw but this seems like a bit of a tune up as Rodriquez is a bit if an unknown and Cotto is easing back after two (close) clear losses

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 11 Jul 2013, 6:52 pm

Top Rank is like any other card, PPV on whethr it should be a PPV basis, is it not?

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 11 Jul 2013, 6:54 pm

Poor if its PPV though.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Fri 12 Jul 2013, 7:53 am

I don't see a rejuvenation as being a likely outcome joining up with roach. Cotto is just not a light middle. He has the skill to pick up another belt. But that's about it. He didn't seem to want a canelo fight earlier in his career, maybe he does now. I get the feeling though that cotto just loves to fight, I think he'll be another example of a boxer who just goes on for too long. I would hope I'm wrong though. He's in the top 10 earners in the sport, I suppose it's hard to move from that to playing golf badly.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sat 13 Jul 2013, 12:44 pm

From the sounds of it Jimdig he just wants to make a couple more paydays and then retire to spend time with his family, he keeps talking about wanting to retire soon.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sat 13 Jul 2013, 2:25 pm

Cotto should beat Rodriguez so that allows Cotto to be a good high earning fight for Canelo if he loses to Floyd, which is the most likely scenario

That is less likely with him being on HBO now and is strange for Cotto to go in this direction

Apart from Bradley, JMM and Pac (who are all small welters) TopRank don't have a great stable below middle and I can't see Cotto being willing to fight Chavez who'd dwarf him

Maybe Sergio is willing to meet him at 154

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Sun 14 Jul 2013, 7:39 pm

Catchweight with Bradley is a possibility if he beats Rodriguez.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down