The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roach: Cotto would knock Mayweather out.

+11
88Chris05
Strongback
Nico the gman
AdamT
Mayweathers cellmate
TopHat24/7
rycoys
Diamond in the rough
kingraf
jimdig
hampo17
15 posters

Go down

Roach: Cotto would knock Mayweather out. Empty Roach: Cotto would knock Mayweather out.

Post by hampo17 Tue 10 Jun 2014, 6:39 pm

By Paul Hampton, @v2boxing.

Hall of fame trainer Freddie Roach has made a bold statement; he thinks that Miguel Cotto (39-4, 32kos) would knock Floyd Mayweather JR (46-0, 26kos) out if they were to meet now.

Roach was quoted as saying; “I think his legs are gone,” Roach said to the media about Mayweather. “He doesn’t move anymore. He says he wants to please the fans. I think that’s rubbish. I think he’s shot. I don’t think he’ll fight any of my guys.”

While Mayweather didn’t look at his best against Maidana, he certainly looked far from shot when he outpointed Canelo Alvarez. It’s a bold claim, and we could certainly see if this claim has any legs should the two of them decide to have a rematch.

http://www.v2boxing.com/1/post/2014/06/roach-cotto-would-knock-floyd-out.html

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Roach: Cotto would knock Mayweather out. Empty Re: Roach: Cotto would knock Mayweather out.

Post by jimdig Tue 10 Jun 2014, 6:48 pm

Nothing new in Freddie's world so.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Roach: Cotto would knock Mayweather out. Empty Re: Roach: Cotto would knock Mayweather out.

Post by kingraf Tue 10 Jun 2014, 6:49 pm

Tell you what, if Manny faced the Floyd that took on Marcos, it could have gotten ugly. Don't know if that means he's done or not, certainly looked to be taking on father time as well in the ring. Don't think Floyd is done, or has regressed far enough to lose to a guy he beat at his own game.

I called Martinez's overall health wrong, but that was a guy coming off two knee surgeries, and successive fights with broken hands. Don't think I've got this one wrong.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue 10 Jun 2014, 6:51 pm

Cotto is in the perfect position. It likely that all the big money players, I.e Canelo, floyd and manny all want to fight him next. He should be able to make floyd/manny figures of 20+ for his next fight if he plays his cards right.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Tue 10 Jun 2014, 6:54 pm

Freddie roach literally says everyone will beat mayweather Guerrero, Ortiz he then said Floyd wouldn't fight Mosley as he would knock him out just prior to him signing

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by rycoys Tue 10 Jun 2014, 7:34 pm

Not would Freddie he could. Big difference!

rycoys

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:26 am

Lol Roach is so bitter about Floyd....!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Wed 11 Jun 2014, 9:39 am

We really don't need to see Cotto Mayweather 2. Cotto gave it his all first time around and got schooled.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Wed 11 Jun 2014, 10:51 am

I wish mayweather would just fight Pacquaio. To shut Roach up once and for all. floyd has maybe taken on easier challenges but so has Manny. Floyd May not have looked great against Maidana but at least he didnt look near dead face first on the canvas.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 11 Jun 2014, 11:24 am

hardly 'schooled'.

the judges scorecards didn't reflect the actual figh at all.

with the commentary switched off I scored it to Mayweather by about 3 rounds from memory - Cotto certainly got to him better than anyone I can remember since ODLH.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Wed 11 Jun 2014, 1:00 pm

IMO it was a schooling. Cotto put on a good performance, but Mayweather handled him with relative ease.

If you read between the lines Roach is saying that Cotto only has a chance if Mayweather is a shadow of his former self. Hardly a great way to market a fight.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 11 Jun 2014, 1:30 pm

The only thing to read between the lines is Roach's bitterness.

Have never seen PBF take so many shots, or bleed so much (for him), it definitely was not an easy fight for him.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Wed 11 Jun 2014, 1:33 pm

Against Maidana? Yeah of course, Maidana's unorthodox style negated the Mayweather shoulder roll to a degree. Don't think Cotto has that in his arsenal though.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Wed 11 Jun 2014, 1:43 pm

Even in PBF's world is it possible he took Maidana as an easy nights work,this is a fighter who was outboxed by a well past it Morales and dropped and beaten by Khan at light Welter.

Maybe even Mayweather can be complacent and have an off night.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 11 Jun 2014, 5:13 pm

Mayweathers cellmate wrote:Against Maidana? Yeah of course, Maidana's unorthodox style negated the Mayweather shoulder roll to a degree. Don't think Cotto has that in his arsenal though.

Haven't checked compubox but I'd say Cotto landed more than Maidana, certainly more hurtful shots - was the nearest I've ever seen to Floyd 'busted up' (read, few trickles of blood) whereas Maidana seemed more a case of him getting caught how you wouldn't expect him to.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 11 Jun 2014, 5:19 pm

Maidana landed 221 total punches (26%).

Cotto landed a mere 105 (21%).

Though tellingly, PBF only landed 26% overall (as opposed to 54% vs Maidana) which is the lowest I can ever remember – suggesting Cotto was indeed a harder fight.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Wed 11 Jun 2014, 5:25 pm

I see Roger Mayweather is being quoted as saying the only reason Cotto got a look in during their first fight was because Floyd fought Cotto's style of fight to please the fans.

........did I hear that excuse before somewhere........

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Wed 11 Jun 2014, 7:15 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Maidana landed 221 total punches (26%).

Cotto landed a mere 105 (21%).

Though tellingly, PBF only landed 26% overall (as opposed to 54% vs Maidana) which is the lowest I can ever remember – suggesting Cotto was indeed a harder fight.

Maidana landed over twice as many punches.

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree more. Cotto never had Mayweather in any trouble, he put up a game fight but Mayweather was never out of his comfort zone and controlled the fight. Maidana was beating, and beating up, Mayweather for the first half of their fight, Mayweather had to abandon his game plan and go on the offensive to grind out a close decision for the first time in his career.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu 12 Jun 2014, 9:13 am

If Mayweather was so in control, then why did he have his worst shot accuracy in recent history and narrowest points margin win on everyone's scorecards except the judges??

Maidana is a high output fighter, Cotto isn't. Maidana's % landed were only a few percent ahead of Cotto's - he just swung a lot more.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 12 Jun 2014, 10:25 am

I thought the Maidana fight was closer than the Cotto one, personally, but they both gave Mayweather problem - just different kind of problems.

Cotto put in a more technical effort and managed to hang pretty well with Mayweather in an outright boxing match. Obviously showed a lot more regard for defence than Maidana did and did some nice body work which seemed to go unnoticed by the commentary teams! Maidana, credit where it's due, did use his jab better than he ever has before (again, he maybe didn't get enough credit for this by those who were upset about him having the temerity to rough lil' Floyd up) but his general plan was to try and outmuscle, bully and outwork Mayweather. He got hit a lot more frequently than Cotto, but obviously threw a lot more leather in an attempt to make up for it.

Horses for courses. You could argue that Mayweather was in better form against Cotto than he was against Maidana which might account for what I'm about to say, but I thought Maidana definitely came closer to pulling the upset and making Mayweather look very much beatable - but agree with Toppy that Cotto was in no way schooled or dominated as well.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Mayweathers cellmate Thu 12 Jun 2014, 3:40 pm

Narrowest of point wins? You are the first person I've come across that thinks Mayweather v Cotto was a close fight. Cotto being difficult to hit doesn't translate to Mayweather having a difficult night. In fact Alvarez and even Guerro landed more shots on Mayweather than Cotto did.

No one was asking for a rematch after the Cotto fight. Compare that with Maidana.

Mayweathers cellmate

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Thu 12 Jun 2014, 5:42 pm

The Maidana fight was closer. I think Floyd won, but could understand if anyone made a case for a draw or a Maidana win. Cotto won maybe 3 or 4 rounds at most.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by DirectView Thu 12 Jun 2014, 5:45 pm

Cotto won't get his chances just coz his coach made some weird noise in the public.

DirectView

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 12 Jun 2014, 5:50 pm

Does anyone want to run a sweepstake on how long Maidana being robbed against Floyd is being passed off as fact on here?

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 12 Jun 2014, 6:08 pm

Rowley wrote:Does anyone want to run a sweepstake on how long Maidana being robbed against Floyd is being passed off as fact on here?

Il run one on how Mayweather v Maidana was actually a comfortable win for Mayweather and Maidana did nothing except plod forward missing every punch.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 12 Jun 2014, 7:30 pm

I thought the general consensus on the cotto fight was that it was a genuinely competitive fight with a clear winner. For me the surprise was that it was competitive at all.

There was no real consensus on the maidana fight, people saw it in very different ways, but those who scored for floyd probably still had it closer than the cotto fight. Personally, I thought floyd won fairly clearly in the end, but it certainly wasn't comfortable.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down