The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Last 5 Years - Biggest Fall From Grace?

+14
Steffan
BallchinianMuffwig
All Time Great
Mr Bounce
TRUSSMAN66
Sugar Boy Sweetie
azania
manos de piedra
mobilemaster8
bhb001
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
OasisBFC
wheelchair1991
Valero's Conscience
18 posters

Go down

Last 5 Years - Biggest Fall From Grace? Empty Last 5 Years - Biggest Fall From Grace?

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:30 pm

Over the last few years who has had the biggest fall from the initial talk of being a P4P star to not much talk at all?

Juanma Lopez comes to mind. A few years ago there was huge hype about him and many people's star match up choice other than Floyd vs Pac was him vs Gamboa.

Two crushing losses to Salido (great fights) and a recent early stoppage loss to Micky Garcia has left him in serious need to rebuild his career.

I don't think you can include Pac on this list as he's near the end of his career and still a top fighter.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Last 5 Years - Biggest Fall From Grace? Empty Re: Last 5 Years - Biggest Fall From Grace?

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:41 pm

good shout with lopez he really has gone downhill fast

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Last 5 Years - Biggest Fall From Grace? Empty Re: Last 5 Years - Biggest Fall From Grace?

Post by OasisBFC Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:22 pm

khan needs a big win soon.
the 2 defeats, especially to garcia knocked his career back a lot.

if he was to beat garcia and win the wbc he'd have held 3 major belts and earned a shot at floyd just as much as Guerrero.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:39 pm

Pretty sure montiel was pretty high on p4p lists then dropped like hell after the donaire loss

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:58 pm

What are all these blue double underline words about? Has Adam some type of advertising deal?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:02 pm

Khan for sure.

Pacquiao. Thought he lost 3rd Marquez fight and he definitely lost 4th, beaten by Bradley and now fighting a guy coming off a loss in china?!

also note down Chad Dawson. Remember mayweather saying he was the best P4P fighter. Losses to Pascal, Ward and Stevenson. Now he looks like crap.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:04 pm

Kelly Palik? Probably going back too much really as it was about 5 years ago the chinks were seen in his armour. Both Khan and Dawson are excellent shouts

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:06 pm

Wow. Forgot about Pavlik. I watched his fight with Hopkins last night. That fight too everything away from him i feel.

was never the same.....much like lacy after calzaghe.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by manos de piedra Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:15 pm

Khan gets talked about loads and will never struggle to get fights. Hes still on the radar.

manos de piedra

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:59 pm

manos de piedra wrote:Khan gets talked about loads and will never struggle to get fights. Hes still on the radar.

yeah that has always puzzled me about Khan, many other fighters who had suffered the losses Amir has would have not been given the level of exposure he has post those losses

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:01 pm

Many boxers are not as exciting as him.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Sugar Boy Sweetie Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:53 pm

Pacquiaos star had risen & fallen massively in the last 5 years. It was exactly 5 years ago it started - summer '08 he flattens Diaz to win the LW title, then goes on to beat Iscar, Hatton, Cotto, Clottey & Margarito in succession. Becomes an 8 weight titlist and most people's p4p no1. But his rep takes a hit with the refusal to do random drug testing, the insistence of catch-weights and his role in the failure of a fight with PBF to materialise. Then looks sloppy against Mosley, outboxed by Marquez, loses a debatable decision to Bradley then totally starched by Marquez. He's reached the apex and plummeted just as quick in the last 5 years.
Sugar Boy Sweetie
Sugar Boy Sweetie

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:05 pm

Sugar Boy Sweetie wrote:Pacquiaos star had risen & fallen massively in the last 5 years. It was exactly 5 years ago it started - summer '08 he flattens Diaz to win the LW title, then goes on to beat Iscar, Hatton, Cotto, Clottey & Margarito in succession. Becomes an 8 weight titlist and most people's p4p no1. But his rep takes a hit with the refusal to do random drug testing, the insistence of catch-weights and his role in the failure of a fight with PBF to materialise. Then looks sloppy against Mosley, outboxed by Marquez, loses a debatable decision to Bradley then totally starched by Marquez. He's reached the apex and plummeted just as quick in the last 5 years.

Considering Manny is PPv for his next fight...Couldn't have fallen that match........

David Price is the big shocker for me.....Nailed on future heavy champ for me a year ago................Now he's in tatters..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:17 pm

Price?

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:56 pm

Price has only had a relative handful of fights and so I think that is a stretch. I also wouldn't better on him coming back to fringe level contention in the next two to three years. It depends on him picking the right fights going forward.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:01 pm

bhb001 wrote:Price has only had a relative handful of fights and so I think that is a stretch. I also wouldn't better on him coming back to fringe level contention in the next two to three years. It depends on him picking the right fights going forward.

You think so..........Thompson 2 was worse than the first one...........That kind of stamina issue isn't something that changes for my money....

A good opponent lasts four ..he's toast!!......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:45 pm

I know he wasn't really top drawer but Enzo Maccarinelli has gone down a long way. 5 years ago he was up for a massive cruiser unification bout against David Haye. Since then he's beaten a few nobodies and suffered crushing KOs (apart from the Haye fight) to Afolabi, Lebedev, Frenkel and Ovill McKenzie.

Always had heavy hands, but his chin & defence were never the greatest. I think the move down to Light Heavy is a bad one & I reckon (along with others) that he's one punch away from getting seriously hurt.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by All Time Great Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:53 am

A few have already been mentioned but the like of Ponglasek Wonjongkam, Chris John (still undefeated but never really pushed on), Juanma Lopez, Fernando Montiel, Chad Dawson and Paul Williams have all had significant falls from grace over the past 5 years.

One for me that goes under the radar is Miguel Cotto- once seemingly invincible to now just a name on a CV. Having said that, what a wonderful fighter he was.

All Time Great

Back to top Go down

Post by BallchinianMuffwig Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:02 am

Juan Diaz? He was the "guy to beat" at lightweight around 2008-09 (despite being, in my opinion,a tad out of shape) and considered the no.1 at the weight before Marquez / Malignaggi (wouldn't say the Campbell loss began the descent), where he looked a real shadow of the prime version we once knew by the time he was rematching the 2 aforementioned guys that beat him. Apparently he's made a comeback recently too, oh dear.

BallchinianMuffwig

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:47 am

Kelly Pavlik was made head of the 'Official Church for Hatred of Joe Calzaghe' on the old 606 by Ceej and all the other haters. The Hopkins whooping shut them up though and the man who was supposedly gonna destroy Calzaghe hasnt done much since apart from drink lots of beer

Anyway folks im off to Somerset at 12pm tomorrow and wont have internet access as il be on a Hillfort with a crappy old phone so see you all when I get back in a month

Regards

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:36 am

Gatti and Valero, both had epic falls from grace in the last 5 year's.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:22 am

Mr Bounce wrote:I know he wasn't really top drawer but Enzo Maccarinelli has gone down a long way. 5 years ago he was up for a massive cruiser unification bout against David Haye. Since then he's beaten a few nobodies and suffered crushing KOs (apart from the Haye fight) to Afolabi, Lebedev, Frenkel and Ovill McKenzie.

Always had heavy hands, but his chin & defence were never the greatest. I think the move down to Light Heavy is a bad one & I reckon (along with others) that he's one punch away from getting seriously hurt.

to be fair, the mckensie stoppage was one of the worst i've seen, and a rematch has been arranged, both fighters were embarressed when the ref stopped that one.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat Jul 20, 2013 10:47 am

Scott Harrison
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:16 pm

Antonio margarito 5 years ago just destroyed cotto. 5 years on hes classed as a cheat forever aswell as being koed by Mosley and destroyed by pacquiao

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down