The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ashes second test, Lords, continued.

+36
hodge
Mike Selig
dummy_half
JDizzle
Diggers
ChequeredJersey
king_carlos
VTR
Hoggy_Bear
CaledonianCraig
Ozzy3213
gboycottnut
LondonTiger
ShankyCricket
KP_fan
Mat
subhranshu.kumar.5
kingraf
robbo277
NickisBHAFC
Corporalhumblebucket
guildfordbat
LivinginItaly
alfie
msp83
Good Golly I'm Olly
Liam
liverbnz
dyrewolfe
Gerry SA
GSC
Duty281
trebellbobaggins
mystiroakey
TopoftheChops
Biltong
40 posters

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Ashes second test, Lords, continued. Empty Ashes second test, Lords, continued.

Post by Biltong Sat 20 Jul - 14:27

Please continue here guys.

Last edited by Biltong on Sat 20 Jul - 14:29; edited 1 time in total
Biltong
Biltong

Back to top Go down

Ashes second test, Lords, continued. Empty Re: Ashes second test, Lords, continued.

Post by TopoftheChops Sat 20 Jul - 14:29

Bresnan out, bairstow to speed up innings now

TopoftheChops

Back to top Go down

Ashes second test, Lords, continued. Empty Re: Ashes second test, Lords, continued.

Post by mystiroakey Sat 20 Jul - 14:29

Maybe we should give Bell the chance at getting a 3rd ton on the bounce?

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 20 Jul - 14:32

Lots of time left in this game so I think Bell is the right man t be out there now.

Big applause for Bresnan and a brilliant contribution. clap clap

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 20 Jul - 14:33

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013/engine/records/batting/most_runs_career.html?id=7362;type=series

Ian Bell far out ahead in the race for most runs. Stuart Broad is 2nd!

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 20 Jul - 14:33

BestoftheBres trundles his way to 38
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 20 Jul - 14:35

Can someone explain where James Pattinson(and Mitchell Starc) extra pace has gone?

Recently in India, relatively slow pitches, both where clocking 145-150 kph.

So far in this series neither have shown that blistering speed.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 20 Jul - 14:35

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2013/engine/current/match/593504.html

2/74 at over 4 an over. Finn's statistics in a CC game against Sussex. Not very good, Steven.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 20 Jul - 14:35

I HATE when threads get locked JUST at the moment I post a reply. mad 

trebellbobaggins wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:Lead passes the 350 mark. Another 100 should do it.

Slow and steady as she goes...

with Bell, Bairstow and the rest to come you could even hope for another 150 (or is that greedy?).

Not so much greedy as rather pointless.

Australia aren't going to be able to chase 450 - let alone 600, so simply accumulating runs for the sake of it, seems like a waste of time.

Plus the Aussies may simply try to bat for a draw if we leave it too long. We're scoring very slowly at the moment and it could take us the rest of the day to get the lead we want.

I'd prefer to have plenty of time in my pocket in case of some unexpected resistance.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 20 Jul - 14:36

Tbf Duty he does have both centuries scored in this series
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 20 Jul - 14:36

GSC wrote:BestoftheBres trundles his way to 38

Thats another good name...I notice you haven't changed yours yet. Wink
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 20 Jul - 14:38

Gerry SA wrote:Can someone explain where James Pattinson(and Mitchell Starc) extra pace has gone?

Indias speed guns need caliberating

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 20 Jul - 14:39

TB was a slow pitch.

Pattinson struggled with his line so slowed it down I guess
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 20 Jul - 14:40

He didn't get a fifer Sad
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 20 Jul - 14:41

there is one thing to consider duty- if let em in on this track early then they will have much easier conditions to bat in than day 4 or 5- basically up the rate slightly- hit 500 and stick them in at 6:00pm

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Sat 20 Jul - 14:41

dyrewolfe wrote:I HATE when threads get locked JUST at the moment I post a reply. mad 

trebellbobaggins wrote:

with Bell, Bairstow and the rest to come you could even hope for another 150 (or is that greedy?).

Australia aren't going to be able to chase 450 - let alone 600, so simply accumulating runs for the sake of it, seems like a waste of time.

Plus the Aussies may simply try to bat for a draw if we leave it too long. We're scoring very slowly at the moment and it could take us the rest of the day to get the lead we want.

I'd prefer to have plenty of time in my pocket in case of some unexpected resistance.

It's not pointless. The match is over as a contest. Australia will not chase 350 and won't bat 2 days for a draw. The only thing for England to do now is run them ragged in the field and trample any bit of spirit they have left well into the dirt. That might sound cruel, but that 5-0 was only 6 years ago.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sat 20 Jul - 14:42

What about

Stop, Trundle Time
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 20 Jul - 14:42

mystiroakey wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:Can someone explain where James Pattinson(and Mitchell Starc) extra pace has gone?

Highly debatable.

Even in the West Indies, Pattinson was over 90mph

The Indian seamers weren't exactly clocking much over 80mph either. So going on your theory indians seamers where bowling 60-70mph...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 20 Jul - 14:42

GSC wrote:He didn't get a fifer Sad
Yeah the 1st Test

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat 20 Jul - 14:43

liverbnz wrote:
dyrewolfe wrote:I HATE when threads get locked JUST at the moment I post a reply. mad 

trebellbobaggins wrote:

It's not pointless. The match is over as a contest. Australia will not chase 350 and won't bat 2 days for a draw. The only thing for England to do now is run them ragged in the field and trample any bit of spirit they have left well into the dirt. That might sound cruel, but that 5-0 was only 6 years ago.

Cook, Bell, Pietersen, and Anderson probably remember it well! No mercy.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 20 Jul - 14:43

Good accurate stuff here for Harris. Keeping it nice and tight and not allowing England to get away too quick. If England can keep these two together till tea, they can then push on afterwards and put them in for the last half hour/40 mins of the day. Hopefully pick up a wicket or two.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 20 Jul - 14:44

Gerry SA wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

Highly debatable.

The Indian seamers weren't exactly clocking much over 80mph either. So going on your theory indians seamers where bowling 60-70mph...

maths isn't your strong point is it!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 20 Jul - 14:45

oops. .I think I worded that badly.  I meant 150 from here.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 20 Jul - 14:49

mystiroakey wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

Highly debatable.

laughing picard 

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 20 Jul - 14:57

Gerry SA wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

Highly debatable.

laughing picard 

Oh dear!!

lesson for you.

on average lets say for the sake of it they are 5% down. lets say they averaged 89 in india and 85 here. if india aveargaed 82 in india going by my comment(calibaration out) they would average 78. not in the 60- 70s!!!

even if the difference is more like 10% out(which it isnt) india would still be around the 74 mark based on my comment!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 20 Jul - 14:57

Go on young Joe
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 20 Jul - 15:05

mystiroakey wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:
Gerry SA wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:

Highly debatable.

laughing picard 

Oh dear!!

lesson for you.

on average lets say for the sake of it they are 5% down. lets say they averaged 89 in india and 85 here. if india aveargaed 82 in india going by my comment(calibaration out) they would average 78. not in the 60- 70s!!!

even if the difference is more like 10% out(which it isnt) india would still be around the 74 mark based on my comment!!
It was sarcasm... Never mind...

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 20 Jul - 15:06

Pattinson has struggled to maintain his accuracy right from the word go in this series, and I feel perhaps he has cut down on his pace to try and address that. However, I have to say he hasn't been quite successful that way either.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Gerry SA Sat 20 Jul - 15:07

So Steve Smith takes a catch, but the third umpire says its a bump ball.

Umpiring standards are very ordinary these days.

Gerry SA

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Sat 20 Jul - 15:07

Oh great, more umpiring controversy.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 20 Jul - 15:07

The truth is the calibration may be out or may not be.

Or there is something about the english weather and conditions which make it a lot harder to bowl fast. Everyone boals slower here and its not just the aussies, that or our calibration is out or others are!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 20 Jul - 15:08

Well, well, well...

More controversy and Bell is lucky to still be there. Looked a catch but the review says otherwise.

dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 20 Jul - 15:09

That was close.

I don't think it's too easy out there so anything 450+ looks a nice total if you can set it.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 20 Jul - 15:10

Thought that was a catch to be honest
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 20 Jul - 15:10

The speedguns used in the IPL were funny and ones showed Morne Morcle clocking close to 180 KPH. However the ones used in the tests were much better, and Pattinson actually was bowling pretty sharp. It was not just in India, when India toured Australia during his debut series, and then later in the West Indies, he seemed to bowl a little bit quicker than what he has managed here in this series so far.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 20 Jul - 15:11

Well catch or not this one is immaterial. It won't stop it being brought up and probably rightly so- Is this another crazy decision by the tv umps??

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 20 Jul - 15:12

Commentators are saying part of the problem is that TV cameras tend to foreshorten pictures and don't give the depth of field the human eye has.

Umpire should have called it correctly in the first place.

Not that the decision is likely to have any bearing on the final outcome of this game. Hope thats of some consolation to Australia.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 20 Jul - 15:16

Bell certainly luck to be still there!. The umpiring standards in this series seem to be collapsing much quicker than the Australian batting here. Really mediocre. Tony Hill was pathetic in the recent Zimbabwe Bangladesh, his umpiring was bordering on the obnoxious there, and as a sign of recognition of that, the ICC promoted him to the elite panel, and the game has become poorer for that stupid decision from the ICC.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 20 Jul - 15:16

Falling asleep here, very dull day of cricket so far. This is where you need KP still to be in so he can attacking later on in the day.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 20 Jul - 15:18

Liam tbh these should actually start attacking at some point. there is no reason to hang about any more. But then I can understand why root is- He wants his first opening ton! and fair play

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat 20 Jul - 15:21

I don't mind us playing slow up until tea, wear them down, keep these two in, let Root get to his hundred. Then after tea we can go, then Bairstow and Prior, Broad/Swann could come in and have a swing
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 20 Jul - 15:21

I was hoping India's excellent use of the DRS during the CT might convince a few more people to go for the system. But these high-profile howlers has given further ground to those who say no. Perhaps its just a matter of perception, but it will be very difficult to move the BCCI on this issue for some time now. Unfortunately, its some horrendous umpiring that is creating more trouble for the UDRS rather than technology itself, though there is significant room for improvement there as well.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sat 20 Jul - 15:23

I don't mind Root playing his normal game to get a hundred, he should imo. Bell got his hundred, he should be taking the pressure off root and keep the scoreboard ticking over.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 20 Jul - 15:24

TBH I don't really understand any arguments against DRS this series- I can see how it could be improved but never scraped. It has been the umpiring not the DRS system

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 20 Jul - 15:24

The 150 up for England. Perhaps they can press on a bit more.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 20 Jul - 15:25

Hopefully Root and Bell will start to swing their bats more, once Joe gets his ton.

150 up for England and the lead is 383. Would hope we declare with another 70 or so on the board.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 20 Jul - 15:27

mystiroakey wrote:TBH I don't really understand any arguments against DRS this series- I can see how it could be improved but never scraped. It has been the umpiring not the DRS system

Exactly!

And the use (or misuse) of the review system. Use it well and you profit. Use it poorly and you pay for it.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by msp83 Sat 20 Jul - 15:27

Bell starting to get a move on. Would make for a bit more exciting cricket. Not that I have anything against grinding the opposition down kind of an approach, but England started off in a massively advantageous position, then slipped a bit and recovered. Now they can press on a bit to completely outplay the Australians here.

msp83

Back to top Go down

Post by dyrewolfe Sat 20 Jul - 15:36

Cracking boundary from Root takes him into the Nervous 90s.
dyrewolfe
dyrewolfe

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Sat 20 Jul - 15:40

Smith looks alot better than agar in the bowling stakes tbh!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next