The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Driving Technique

+2
Bob_the_Job
EX7EY
6 posters

Go down

Driving Technique Empty Driving Technique

Post by EX7EY Thu 25 Jul 2013, 9:11 am

Wondered if anybody could offer advice?

After acquiring a set of second hand clubs I hit the driving range for the second time yesterday. Think I did okay, was just trying to get used to my swing and connect with the ball properly which I seemed to do quite easily. Most of my drives went straight and I was getting between 175 & 220 yards in terms of distance.

One thing I noticed is that toward the end of my session I had started to bend my left knee forward slightly and put a but more weight on my left leg during my backswing (I'm right handed).

I didn't really notice this to detrimental, in fact my last shot of the day was my best, straight as an arrow and went at least 220 yards. Even so I don't want to ingrain bad habits at the start!

I know a lot of you suggested lessons but I enquired about this at the range and it's £45 an hour! For now that's out of my budget so I need all the help I can get!

Thanks

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Driving Technique Empty Re: Driving Technique

Post by Bob_the_Job Thu 25 Jul 2013, 9:55 am

Trying to get a golf lesson over the internet is a bit like trying to have a prostate exam by post. You will get some impossible instructions and you'll end up no wiser but in pain.

If lessons aren't the way for you, there are a number of sites where you can see instructional videos (or get a book from the library - old school) to give you some basic ideas, and then I suggest you just practice and try things out for a bit. Then get on a course soonish - it's a game to be played for fun, not a test.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 25 Jul 2013, 10:20 am

Bob_the_Job wrote:Trying to get a golf lesson over the internet is a bit like trying to have a prostate exam by post.  You will get some impossible instructions and you'll end up no wiser but in pain.

laughing 

Why dont you ask for a 30min lesson instead and see what price that is? I think for a first lesson you 'd get as much out of 30mins than 60. If anything a 60minute lesson may contain too much info that will scramble your brain. A first lesson will most likely be a look at your grip and set up - 30 mins for that should be fine. If you cant hit the ball better at the end of the lesson then I'd reconsider where you get lessons.

I always find it funny how many guys I play with are actually scared to have a lesson. They think it will screw with their game and they cost too much. Well £20 for 30mins is what I pay for and tbh thats about half a night out isnt it? Not that much really.

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by EX7EY Thu 25 Jul 2013, 10:31 am

Cheers

I didnt think about a 30 minute lesson. Might be worth a shout.

Im going playing a 9 holer on Sunday, im eager to see how i get on!

EX7EY

Back to top Go down

Post by Lairdy Thu 25 Jul 2013, 11:16 am

Remember to take any advice you get online for what it is worth, which is usually zilch. Not saying there isnt good stuff online but working out what is valid for you and what isnt is very hard.

Enjoy sunday!

Lairdy

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 25 Jul 2013, 12:24 pm

Wahey [email=tw@t]tw@t[/email] it!

(was that copyright D4S?)

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by 1GrumpyGolfer Thu 25 Jul 2013, 1:05 pm

It's not D4S, the wahey tw@t it school of golf is courtesy of Hibbz.

1GrumpyGolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Thu 25 Jul 2013, 1:29 pm

Credit where credit is due then.

I bow to the Hibbz Wahey [email=tw@t]tw@t[/email] it methodology. Much fun and many shots.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Hibbz Thu 25 Jul 2013, 5:53 pm

I should point out that although I am founder of the Wahey Tw@t It School of Golf the name was coined by Navyblueshorts who unfortunately was not a subscriber.

I should also point out that the fundamentals of the school were that you had to have the correct grip before you attempted said method and whilst it is my preferred method now, there were many hours spent hitting balls at the driving range before it could be implemented on the course.

To paraphrase my swing is now utterly ingrained and requires no thought and whilst I think a beginner could easily make the mistake of over thinking they do need to get the basics of grip and stance correct before proceeding.

Hibbz
hibbz
hibbz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down