The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Could/should be capped for your country

+23
WELL-PAST-IT
LondonTiger
madmaccas
BamBam
Luckless Pedestrian
blackcanelion
Notch
ChequeredJersey
InjuredYetAgain
funnyExiledScot
bluestonevedder
Cumbrian
Geordie
beshocked
Jenifer McLadyboy
maestegmafia
Taylorman
welshy824 (new)
George Carlin
Scrumdown
The Saint
bedfordwelsh
Looseheaded
27 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Could/should be capped for your country Empty Could/should be capped for your country

Post by Guest Sun 04 Aug 2013, 1:09 am

To allow an insight into other players other than your own country's ones, I thought it might be interesting to name mostly uncapped players from your club/province/region (though forgotten capped players like Tom Prydie are fine if needs must) who you think could/should gain international recognition this coming season. It doesn't have to be purely your own team's players (particularly if you have no particular affinity to a "club" team), but it might be interesting to look back in a little while and see if players like Marland Yarde or Christian Leali'ifano are predicted.

So for the Dragons

Could

Seniors
Lewis Evans
Nic Cudd

U20's
Ieuan Jones
Jack Dixon

Should

Jon Evans
Dan Evans

So from Dragons, Lewis Evans has been there or thereabouts. Nic Cudd was one of the form Welsh 7s in the league (especially in a misfiring team) and the two young guys are highly thought of at the minute. For the shoulds, I think Jon Evans deserved to tour Japan this summer and Dan Evans probably would've gained more caps if he wasn't forced to play 10 a few games (when he's much more accomplished at 15). Dan could/should've been the Welsh fullback in Japan (with Sanjay wing over Prydie or especially Howells).

Back to top Go down

Could/should be capped for your country Empty Re: Could/should be capped for your country

Post by Looseheaded Sun 04 Aug 2013, 10:35 am

JSD for England

that's it, i get pretty angry when remembering how poor his international career has been

Looseheaded

Back to top Go down

Could/should be capped for your country Empty Re: Could/should be capped for your country

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 04 Aug 2013, 10:55 am

Rev,

Agree with all and thought Evans would have had more involvement of late, also I still think Adam Hughes could cope at that level but seems to have slipped down the order considerably
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Sun 04 Aug 2013, 2:52 pm

Could:
Adam Hughes
Jason Tovey (years ago)
Dan Evans

Should:
Lewis Evans
Jonny Evans

It's a travesty watching Shanks put in all the hard work and then get over looked for players playing crap like Pretorious, Turnbull and McCusker. and Dan Baker (what was that selection all about?) I hope Japan was an eye-opener. I also agree it would have been wise to take a capped player who can cover a few positions like Dan Evans over an absurd pick like Howells.

For the Scarlets I think their scrum-half Gareth Davies is a should. He is overlooked not only by the Wales selectors, but the Scarlet ones too. Their incumbents Knoyle and the 18 years old Aled Davies were particularly unimpressive; a binary opposite to the form of GD.

Owen Williams, another Scarlet was a should for the Japan tour. He would have been a good back-up to Biggar.

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumdown Sun 04 Aug 2013, 4:50 pm

Rhys Patchell (cardiff blues) should be capped as soon as possible in readiness for being Wales 10 at the next World Cup.

Rhodri Williams (scarlets) is the next great welsh scrum half and again should be pushed forward in readiness for 2015.

Samson Lee (Scarlets) is the long term successor to Adam Jones and should therefore be pushed forward to the welsh bench in the autumn series.

Any one of Corry Allen (blues), Eli Walker (ospreys) and jordan Williams (scarlets) to add a spark to the welsh backline.

Scrumdown

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Sun 04 Aug 2013, 4:52 pm

Patchell was capped in Japan but agree with him and Lee being involved in the AIs
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Sun 04 Aug 2013, 6:05 pm

If you'd asked me in May (before the Quadrangular tournament) Risca I would have been able to give you loads of names. However, we capped 11 players throughout that tournament - including some guys who had been waiting for a while. Not too many young players that still need to be capped - young Jonny Gray (brother of Richie and almost the same size) looks a real prospect but he's still a nipper, Sean Kennedy at Edinburgh is Scotland's future 9, but not yet.

Best young players (which is what you're asking, I think) who have handful of caps only are:

Alex Dunbar- Glasgow Warriors centre - quick, agile and can offload beautifully - he and Matt Scott are the future Scotland 12/13 combo.

Peter Horne - again, Warriors centre - poor bugger tore his ACL and is now out for 9 months.

Duncan Taylor - our young Saracen, looks like a solid, confident midfielder, nice to have blooded him internationally now.

Pat MacArthur - young Warriors hooker, should have been capped ages ago - Ross Ford didn't come close to his consistency last season.

Tim Swinson - Geordie Falcon's secret weapon, Swinson looks like he is finally the answer to 'whom to partner Richie Gray. Jim Hamilton with a better engine and a lower penalty count, Al Kellock but with the sheer aggression turned up to '11' rather than stuck at '3'. Expect Swinson and Gray to be the Scottish boiler room in the 6N.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by welshy824 (new) Sun 04 Aug 2013, 7:53 pm

for wales
eli walker
Samson lee
Jordan Williams
Owen Williams
Corey Allen
Gareth Davies
Rhodri Williams
Ieaun Jones
and the young dragon fullback who's name has escaped me

one for the future is rhys Williams, currently at the Leicester tigers academy, he is such a naturally gifted player.

welshy824 (new)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 04 Aug 2013, 8:50 pm

Scrumdown wrote:Rhys Patchell (cardiff blues) Rhodri Williams (scarlets) is the next great welsh scrum half and again should be pushed forward in readiness for 2015.

Samson Lee (Scarlets) is the long term successor to Adam Jones and should therefore be pushed forward to the welsh bench in the autumn series.

Whilst I agree with both of these points, though I'd be hesitant to label Rhodri as a future 'great', I think with props you have to accept that many won't be international standard until they are over 25, especially on the tight. Samson has time, and I'd say Craig Mitchell and, latterly off the bench, Scott Andrews have proven adequate deputies to the best tighthead in the world. I'd say Samson's time is post-'15, he's been comprehensively bested a few times in the Rabo and still has an awful lot of learning to do to add to natural ability and attitude he has. Hopefully with the same humility as Adam Jones he'll become a quality international 3, but I think we're still 4-5 years away from that.

Agree with everything about Gareth Davies about, a more talented 9 than Tavis and definitely Aled Davies, should be Phillips' replacement. Also agree with Alex Dunbar, admittedly haven't seen loads of him but what I have has been very positive. That Nick deLuca has the number of caps he has is baffling.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 04 Aug 2013, 9:00 pm

Yes that tournament will benefit Scotland greatly George.

Yes I suppose it is mostly youngsters who will get brought up, but also players like Dan Evans from us who have been capped previously, aren't that young and should gain further caps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun 04 Aug 2013, 9:19 pm

Dan Evans, like Andy Fenby, Richard Fussell, Adam Hughes etc. is a decent footballer with good skills which he can showcase to good effect in the Rabo, but who is simply not good enough to play regular international rugby.

I'd say in Wales the main selection issue is, instead of picking good reserve players like Lewis Evans, who may be needed come the World Cup if there is an injury crisis, the management has decided to bypass these players due to age and take a punt with youngsters, like Kristian Phillips and Tom Prydie in 2010. It's the wrong tactic in my opinion, did Howells really deserve his cap over Fussell or Hughes as a 3/4? Obviously not, if he's good enough he'll be playing for Wales in 2-3 years time on merit. That's what the regional system is there for, surely?

Back to top Go down

Post by Taylorman Mon 05 Aug 2013, 3:12 am

Should...Blues player of the year and future 7's extraordinaire...Luke Braid

Should...but won't...Craig Clarke...inspirational winning captain of the sxv's Chiefs side.

Taylorman

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Aug 2013, 7:28 am

miaow wrote:Dan Evans, like Andy Fenby, Richard Fussell, Adam Hughes etc. is a decent footballer with good skills which he can showcase to good effect in the Rabo, but who is simply not good enough to play regular international rugby.

I'd say in Wales the main selection issue is, instead of picking good reserve players like Lewis Evans, who may be needed come the World Cup if there is an injury crisis, the management has decided to bypass these players due to age and take a punt with youngsters, like Kristian Phillips and Tom Prydie in 2010. It's the wrong tactic in my opinion, did Howells really deserve his cap over Fussell or Hughes as a 3/4? Obviously not, if he's good enough he'll be playing for Wales in 2-3 years time on merit. That's what the regional system is there for, surely?

I agree in part but I can see their logic too. Being part of the squad involves a great deal more than just playing rugby. For a young player to be part of that set up will benefit their progress.

I think Prydie was great last season finally shock off his awful injury. I can see him and Ross Jones battling hard for the Wales fullback shirt over the next few years.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Mon 05 Aug 2013, 8:41 am

Taylorman wrote:

Should...but won't...Craig Clarke...inspirational winning captain of the sxv's Chiefs side.

You never know. He could well play for Ireland. He will only be 32 at the end of his contract with Connacht, by which time he will be IQ (unless he has played some game for NZ 7s or somethin g that I don't know about)

Nathan White shod see some gametime fo us too, as we are focked for THs, and he qualifies at the end of this coming season.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 05 Aug 2013, 8:58 am

Saracens

Should be

Will Fraser
George Kruis
Joel Tomkins

Bolter could be someone like

Ben Ransom, Jamie George or Ben Spencer - fortune with injuries would be needed.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Mon 05 Aug 2013, 9:16 am

Tim Swinson - Geordie Falcon's secret weapon,

Crackin player...was a big fans favorite

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Aug 2013, 10:29 am

GeordieFalcon wrote:

Was he not capped in SA vs the Boks and Italy...?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 05 Aug 2013, 10:32 am

As a Newcastle fan:

Should:

Grant Shiells, I am not sure of Scotland's loose head stocks, but I think he will be a stalwart of your front row for many years to come. Excellent young player.

Bolters:

Will Welch, back row is becoming a really competitive area for England and I reckon he will probably be one of those players like James Scaysbrook and we look back and think 'how didn't he get a shot''?

Kieran Brookes: You will probably call me mad, but he plays in a position that we are weak in (tight head) and he seems to get called up at every opportunity for the Saxons. He is still only 22, a baby in prop terms and it is easy to forget just how good he was becoming before he went to Tigers and got injured. If Deano can get him fit and firing I really reckon he has a shot for England.

Dom Barrow, it very much depends upon how he progresses when he gets his opportunities though.

That's about it I'm afraid.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by The Saint Mon 05 Aug 2013, 10:34 am

Actually Dom Barrow and David Sisi look like they have a good future, both big lads too. Along with Jack Clifford (unless he does an Alex Gray).

The Saint

Back to top Go down

Post by bluestonevedder Mon 05 Aug 2013, 10:47 am

maestegmafia wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:

I thought he was too. From what I remember, he put a HELL of a shift in that game. Tackling everyone behind the line. Him and Richie in the AIs for Scotland I think.

bluestonevedder

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 05 Aug 2013, 10:48 am

I'm not sure about Sisi,  because of his bulk he has always had things pretty much his own way in the U20's. I would like to see him properly scrutinised at first team level before I make up my mind.  

Clifford is a little different,  he is more squat and powerful than Alex Gray ever was.  Gray had the skill,  he just never had the frame. Clifford is an excellent rugby player,  without being a beanpole.  I still reckon he'll end up moving to openside to back up Wallace at Quins (with Robshaw moving to 6) though.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Aug 2013, 10:54 am

bluestonevedder wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:

I thought he was too. From what I remember, he put a HELL of a shift in that game. Tackling everyone behind the line. Him and Richie in the AIs for Scotland I think.

I agree, looks a real talent and could compliment Gray well.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 05 Aug 2013, 3:40 pm

bluestonevedder wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
GeordieFalcon wrote:

Yep, Big Tim now has 2 caps - the first against the Boks where he was MoM for me (hence I said the people that needed capped a month ago now have been). He may well be the missing piece in our tight game. If you look at a tight five of 1. Grant 2. MacArthur 3. Murray 4. Swinson and 5.Gray with Kelly Brown, Johnny Beattie and a (now fit after 2 years) Ross Rennie behind them, that could be a cohesive thing of beauty come the Six Nations.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon 05 Aug 2013, 3:55 pm

Can't see any uncapped players at Edinburgh earning a 1st cap this season.

There's an uncapped outside centre at Glasgow who can apparently play a bit, and he may be getting his first cap at some point this season.

angel 

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon 05 Aug 2013, 4:48 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Can't see any uncapped players at Edinburgh earning a 1st cap this season.

There's an uncapped outside centre at Glasgow who can apparently play a bit, and he may be getting his first cap at some point this season.

angel 
Honestly. YOU trying spotting the difference:

1. A Messiah
Could/should be capped for your country Themes10

2. A Very Naughty Boy
Could/should be capped for your country Averyn10
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Mon 05 Aug 2013, 5:21 pm

To be brutally honest, I don't think there are that many SQ but uncapped players at either Edinburgh or Glasgow.
Great things were expected of Stuart McInally when he left school and signed for Edinburgh but he doesn't seem to have delivered his early promise. We aren't exactly tripping over back row forwards who are fit so he may get a call to arms in the AI series

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon 05 Aug 2013, 5:24 pm

Quins:

Should/could be capped- Lowe (though his time has gone), Wallace, Guest (see Lowe), Gray -- in the more distant future - maybe Chisholm, Walker, Matthews, Buchanan, Botica if he picks UK, Clifford, Sinckler
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 05 Aug 2013, 5:38 pm

maestegmafia wrote:

I think Prydie was great last season finally shock off his awful injury. I can see him and Ross Jones battling hard for the Wales fullback shirt over the next few years.

Halfpenny's only 24, so I can't see anyone getting a serious look in for a while yet. But then I'd say Liam Williams is certainly second in line, offering pretty much the antithesis to Halfpenny. Prydie looks a decent player who, with another good season with the Dragons, might get in the squad for his back up kicking ability alone. Can't say I've seen enough of Ross Jones to comment.

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Aug 2013, 6:15 pm

miaow wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

Halfpenny's only 24, so I can't see anyone getting a serious look in for a while yet. But then I'd say Liam Williams is certainly second in line, offering pretty much the antithesis to Halfpenny. Prydie looks a decent player who, with another good season with the Dragons, might get in the squad for his back up kicking ability alone. Can't say I've seen enough of Ross Jones to comment.

unfrtunately the selection of Fussell ahead of Jones is the reason for that... Fussell is a more natural winger than Fullback. Jones was exceptional in last years U20s, with Prydie on the wing. Both good lads.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 05 Aug 2013, 9:30 pm

Look we've had so many quality young players come through at Ulster and they've mainly all got capped- even if they won't be involved in the squad next year because they only got caps during the Lions. Like Olding- we didn't even expect him to get gametime last year for Ulster and now he has an Ireland cap. He's barely turned 20. Gilroy, Jackson, Luke Marshall, Paul Marshall, Olding, Henderson all got first caps last year. Some of those players will form the backbone of the Ireland team for a generation.

I believe that Peter Nelson can be an international in the future, Paddy McAllister definitely will be if his injury rehab goes ok. Jared Payne could be once he qualifies on residency.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Mon 05 Aug 2013, 10:50 pm

Notch wrote:Look we've had so many quality young players come through at Ulster and they've mainly all got capped- even if they won't be involved in the squad next year because they only got caps during the Lions. Like Olding- we didn't even expect him to get gametime last year for Ulster and now he has an Ireland cap. He's barely turned 20. Gilroy, Jackson, Luke Marshall, Paul Marshall, Olding, Henderson all got first caps last year. Some of those players will form the backbone of the Ireland team for a generation.

I believe that Peter Nelson can be an international in the future, Paddy McAllister definitely will be if his injury rehab goes ok. Jared Payne could be once he qualifies on residency.

Ulster have made some successful and clever decisions for their future over the last few years.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 06 Aug 2013, 8:19 am

Nelson Asofa-Solomona. A potential combination of John Eales, Bakkies Botha, Sony Bill Williams and Jonah Lomu. Unfortunately he's off to rugby league. I'd have put him in the training squad against the French to keep him in rugby, even if he is 16/17.

Was arguably the dominant schoolboy player last year at the age of 16. This year he's barely containable. At 17 he's about 2.02 m and 118 kg. He freakishly strong and quick. He can sidestep, offload a la SBW, and good kicking game. All in all he's a once in a generation talent. Many better punters than me think he's the best age group player they have seen. He potentially has another year left at school, but he's off to join a host of Wellington rugby union talent in the Melbourne storm rugby league club.

Last edited by blackcanelion on Tue 06 Aug 2013, 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by Luckless Pedestrian Tue 06 Aug 2013, 8:25 am

maestegmafia wrote:
miaow wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:

unfrtunately the selection of Fussell ahead of Jones is the reason for that... Fussell is a more natural winger than Fullback. Jones was exceptional in last years U20s, with Prydie on the wing. Both good lads.

I'm still not convinced by Tom Prydie. There were times last season when he looked like he couldn't be bothered.

Jon Evans should certainly be in the Wales frame at scrum half - it should be a fight between him and Gareth Davies of the Scarlets.

Mark Bennett at Glasgow is class, as is Stuart Olding at Ulster. Two proper footballing centres.

Luckless Pedestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue 06 Aug 2013, 8:27 am

Wholeheartedly agree about Olding but, despite ASBO's protestations to the contrary, I just haven't seen enough of Mark Bennett to say one way or another.

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 06 Aug 2013, 8:51 am

InjuredYetAgain wrote:Wholeheartedly agree about Olding but, despite ASBO's protestations to the contrary, I just haven't seen enough of Mark Bennett to say one way or another.
picard IYA - how long have you been in Al-Qaeda?
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:00 am

Hoi, have you been hacking my e-mails or something? Where are Wikileaks legal team when you need them?
All I meant was that Bennett hasn't had that much game time to form an un-ASBOesque neutral's opinion. His time will come but he still has to prove himself consistently for the Weeg first

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:07 am

IYA - the Bennett club is a cult. Do not question, just obey.

He is the Messiah. He will be a Lion in 2017. NZ will fear him.

Ignore all those missed tackles in U20 rugby and the fact that he can't get a run in the team at Glasgow. Let's be fair, not even BOD would get a game ahead of players like Byron McGuigan, Peter Horne, Peter Murchie (out of position), Sean Lamont (out of position) and Stuart Hogg (out of position). I think we should just take it as read that Bennett is an outstanding player, and that Vern Cotter and Clermont just didn't know what they were doing when they sent him away before his contract expired. What do they know?

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:09 am

blackcanelion wrote:Nelson Asofa-Solomona. A potential combination of John Eales, Bakkies Botha, Sony Bill Williams and Jonah Lomu. Unfortunately he's off to rugby league. I'd have put him in the training squad against the French to keep him in rugby, even if he is 16/17.

Was arguably the dominant schoolboy player last year at the age of 16. This year he's barely containable. At 17 he's about 2.02 m and 118 kg. He freakishly strong and quick. He can sidestep, offload a la SBW, and good kicking game. All in all he's a once in a generation talent. Many better punters than me think he's the best age group player they have seen. He potentially has another year left at school, but he's off to join a host of Wellington rugby union talent in the Melbourne storm rugby league club.

Goes off to google

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by Geordie Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:14 am

Matt Garvey - England Run 

Geordie

Back to top Go down

Post by blackcanelion Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:29 am

BamBam wrote:
blackcanelion wrote:Nelson Asofa-Solomona. A potential combination of John Eales, Bakkies Botha, Sony Bill Williams and Jonah Lomu. Unfortunately he's off to rugby league. I'd have put him in the training squad against the French to keep him in rugby, even if he is 16/17.

Goes off to google

Not sure if you'll find him easily. He's still at school (Wellington College). Here's a clip and report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a68RR6KkfrI He's no 8. This was his worst game this year I think.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/college-sport/7049574/Rising-star-creating-some-spectacular-havoc

He's potential plus. It's worth remembering these are good school teams and he's young. I know parents of a kid in age group rep side with him. He's something else.

blackcanelion

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:36 am

It's fine. League can hone his handling then Union can nick him back. Isn't that how this works? Wink
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:42 am

blackcanelion wrote:
BamBam wrote:

Goes off to google

Not sure if you'll find him easily. He's still at school (Wellington College). Here's a clip and report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a68RR6KkfrI  He's no 8. This was his worst game this year I think.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/sport/college-sport/7049574/Rising-star-creating-some-spectacular-havoc

He's potential plus. It's worth remembering these are good school teams and he's young. I know parents of a kid in age group rep side with him. He's something else.

Reminds me of Gavin Henson at his best. Looks incredibly talented. Shame he is off to League, real shame.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by BamBam Tue 06 Aug 2013, 10:53 am

Yes, because Henson is the benchmark for a young NZ kid Laugh 

Will be one to keep an eye on in league, definitely wouldn't be surprised to see him back in a few years time

BamBam

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue 06 Aug 2013, 11:22 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:IYA - the Bennett club is a cult. Do not question, just obey.

Ignore all those missed tackles in U20 rugby and the fact that he can't get a run in the team at Glasgow. Let's be fair, not even BOD would get a game ahead of players like Byron McGuigan, Peter Horne, Peter Murchie (out of position), Sean Lamont (out of position) and Stuart Hogg (out of position). I think we should just take it as read that Bennett is an outstanding player, and that Vern Cotter and Clermont just didn't know what they were doing when they sent him away before his contract expired. What do they know?
For those posters not in the know, we are fully expecting FES and Mark Bennett to have their Make Up Sex some time this season. In the meantime, if you see any reference on these boards to Mark Bennett being associated with nappies, rusks, onesies, umbilical cords or being overrated, you will get the sense now as to why.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 06 Aug 2013, 4:26 pm

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:IYA - the Bennett club is a cult. Do not question, just obey.

For those posters not in the know, we are fully expecting FES and Mark Bennett to have their Make Up Sex some time this season. In the meantime, if you see any reference on these boards to Mark Bennett being associated with nappies, rusks, onesies, umbilical cords or being overrated, you will get the sense now as to why.

Cheers for the heads up..!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Wed 07 Aug 2013, 9:36 am

Looseheaded wrote:JSD for England

that's it, i get pretty angry when remembering how poor his international career has been

Pretty similar to Stave Hanley, I always thought he was treated terribly by Woodward. He was top try scorer in the Premiership for something silly like 5 years in a row yet was ignored after getting munched by Scott Quinnell in '99 (who didn't get muched by Scott Quinnell?!).

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 07 Aug 2013, 2:10 pm

madmaccas wrote:
Looseheaded wrote:JSD for England

Pretty similar to Stave Hanley, I always thought he was treated terribly by Woodward. He was top try scorer in the Premiership for something silly like 5 years in a row yet was ignored after getting munched by Scott Quinnell in '99 (who didn't get muched by Scott Quinnell?!).

I think it was Scotts rather tubby younger brother Craig...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 07 Aug 2013, 2:37 pm

Hmm, I remember Hanley as being a bit of a lump. A bit like Matt Banahan mark one. I was never convinced he had the skillset of an international winger. In Luger, Cohen, Robinson and Lewsey there was pretty stiff competition for places back then.

I wouldn't say he was treated badly. Strike rate in club rugby isn't everything. By that measure Tim Visser is the best winger in the Rabo, and he clearly isn't.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Sun 11 Aug 2013, 1:33 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Hmm, I remember Hanley as being a bit of a lump. A bit like Matt Banahan mark one. I was never convinced he had the skillset of an international winger. In Luger, Cohen, Robinson and Lewsey there was pretty stiff competition for places back then.

I wouldn't say he was treated badly. Strike rate in club rugby isn't everything. By that measure Tim Visser is the best winger in the Rabo, and he clearly isn't.
Ha one man's big lump is Banahan, anothers is George North. Lewsey was predominately a fullback and Dan Luger actually had a pretty poor try scoring record for Quins. I would say Hanley's main opposition were his teammates Robinson and Cueto, the 3 of whom formed the deadliest back 3 in the Premiership at that time. Which begs the question why that winning combination was never even tried for England. As a Scot I'm very glad it wasn't.

To cap a player at 19 (a game in which he scored a cracking try), then drop him after the loss and never to give him another shot despite repeatedly topping the try scoring charts, is pretty poor IMO. To then pick players like Mike Stephenson, Phil Christophers, Mark van Gisbergen and Lesley Vainikolo ahead of him is simply crazy. You can only assume the Woodward blamed him for the loss to Wales in '99.

Tim Visser is clearly not the best all round wing in the Rabo, he is however the best 'finisher', of that there is no doubt, the try tally speaks for itself. Would you pick Lee 'cant catch, wont catch' Jones for Scotland over him?

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 12 Aug 2013, 10:50 am

If we are talking about players getting first caps in the next 12 months, well not many that I think should be capped (as so many were capped in Argentina).

A lot of the names mentioned so far for England are still, imo, more than 12 months away from being ready.

From Tigers I would say Graham Kitchener has the best chance of gaining a first cap before RWC 2015.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next