The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Wrestlers are/were your guilty pleasure?

+13
Marsh
VDT
Hero
Y2James
Kay Fabe
Adam D
Mr H
Nakatomi Plaza
MetalMotty
Kid Vicious
crippledtart
liverbnz
Dolphin Ziggler
17 posters

Go down

Which Wrestlers are/were your guilty pleasure? Empty Which Wrestlers are/were your guilty pleasure?

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:57 pm

Following on from something we chatted about on l'podcast, which wrestlers would you consider your guilty pleasure? Someone you either know you shouldnt like but do or someone you always liked only to find scorn poured upon them by the general populous?

I brought up Mean Street Posse and the Stooges as two groups I really shouldnt have liked but always have in their roles. Also, I liked the Fake Undertaker story.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Which Wrestlers are/were your guilty pleasure? Empty Re: Which Wrestlers are/were your guilty pleasure?

Post by Guest Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:23 pm

Scott Steiner

Back to top Go down

Which Wrestlers are/were your guilty pleasure? Empty Re: Which Wrestlers are/were your guilty pleasure?

Post by liverbnz Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:32 pm

I liked Big Sid although I only really became aware of general opinion of him years later. Still don't think he gets the credit he deserves but sure.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:44 pm

liverbnz wrote:I liked Big Sid although I only really became aware of general opinion of him years later. Still don't think he gets the credit he deserves but sure.

That's an interesting subject - conventional wisdom that your opinions contradicted before you knew about it. If that makes sense.

For example I always thought Gorilla Monsoon was a great commentator but at the time he was considered terrible by a lot of insider fans.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:04 pm

Whoa whoa whoa. Scott Steiner and Sid were two great in-ring talents. You should both be proud to call yourselves fans, rather than dismissing them as guilty pleasures.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:10 pm

Hmmm, I'm not sure Sid fits that description. And Steiner's in-ring highlights preceded his main event singles career by many years.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:18 pm

crippledtart wrote:Hmmm, I'm not sure Sid fits that description. And Steiner's in-ring highlights preceded his main event singles career by many years.

Sid was the blueprint for the athletic big man Crip T! How many 300lbs guys can do a Shawn Michaels style flip up from their back? To me, as a two-time Wrestlemania headliner, multi-time World Champion, a former horseman and a main eventer wherever he went he's one of the greats. Everyone's opinion is different of course, but surely those stats qualify him as nearer the "great" end of the spectrum than the "guilty pleasure" end?

Steiner's problem is he's been around for too long. His tag team work was phenomenal. People forget just how good he was. A 240lbs man doing a hurricanrana better than any luchador could dream of? Out of this world. If he'd have called it a day after the close of WCW he'd have been up there as one of the GOAT. Now he's just like the Dino Bravo that never died.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by MetalMotty Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:22 pm

i have always been a sid mark, (that just sounds so wrong ) from WCW then into WWF and back and forth. Was great seeing him against Heath Slater.

Guilty pleasure have to say Goldust, fantastic entrace back in the day and a character that was perhaps the real start of the attitude era. Also the comedy stuff later one was fantastic. Loved the back stage segement with Booker T, The Rock and Goldust

MetalMotty

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:46 pm

I would have said Goldust but I'm pretty sure no one dislikes him or the gimmick, except himself.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:47 pm

As a youngster, I used to watch the old NWA/early WCW waiting for that Sid squash match. Maybe hoping to mark out by a promo from Sting or Flair too. And then, unbeknownst to the others in the room, a young Kid V was secretly hoping for a match with The Dynamic Dudes. My secret shame.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Nakatomi Plaza Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:57 pm

Like Dolphin, I enjoyed Mean Street Posse's run with Shane McMahon. Was also a fan of Kaientai when they started doing the Indeed gimmick.

Also Disco Inferno and I was a fan of Deuce and Domino's gimmick.

Last edited by Nakatomi Plaza on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nakatomi Plaza

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:09 pm

Wrestling IS my guilty pleasure, but in terms of wrestlers i'd have to go with Heidenreich. I liked him.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:32 pm

Mr H wrote:Wrestling IS my guilty pleasure, but in terms of wrestlers i'd have to go with Heidenreich. I liked him.

he's my guilty pleasure when mentioning a blast from the past on the podcast! I went for Robbie E.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Yokozuna....as a kid I should have hated him but there was something strangely appealing about seeing his excessively obese ass completely and litterally squash someone

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:58 pm

I have another.. Zeus. The storyline gets derided now. It didn't go down too well in 1989, but I totally got Zeus' vibe at the time. Who was Hogan? Thunderlips? Whatever. Zeus was.. Zeus was.. uh, he was in Beverly Hills Cop 2. He was clearly justified in wanting to settle the score in the ring.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Y2James Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:21 pm

Have to go with 2 cool. I used to love them and still smile when I remember them and Rakishi clearing the ring at the 2000 rumble and then dancing till the next guy came out.... and I was about 20 at the time so cant even say it was because I was a kid liking the cheesy bits Smile

Last edited by Y2James on Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : put the wrong year)

Y2James

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:27 pm

Kid Vicious wrote:I have another.. Zeus. The storyline gets derided now. It didn't go down too well in 1989, but I totally got Zeus' vibe at the time. Who was Hogan? Thunderlips? Whatever. Zeus was.. Zeus was.. uh, he was in Beverly Hills Cop 2. He was clearly justified in wanting to settle the score in the ring.
 Zeus was one of mine on the podcast, his promos were just off the scale insanity.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:37 pm

Hero wrote:
Kid Vicious wrote:I have another.. Zeus. The storyline gets derided now. It didn't go down too well in 1989, but I totally got Zeus' vibe at the time. Who was Hogan? Thunderlips? Whatever. Zeus was.. Zeus was.. uh, he was in Beverly Hills Cop 2. He was clearly justified in wanting to settle the score in the ring.
 Zeus was one of mine on the podcast, his promos were just off the scale insanity.
HOKE. HO GENN.
Very Happy 

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by liverbnz Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:19 pm

Kid Vicious wrote:Whoa whoa whoa. Scott Steiner and Sid were two great in-ring talents. You should both be proud to call yourselves fans, rather than dismissing them as guilty pleasures.
It was Sid's presence that stood out for me. He had an amazing look (Am I sounding a little gay here?). His in-ring abilities weren't great, in fact they were sometimes quite wooden but professional wrestling is not just about in-ring ability it's much more than that.

liverbnz

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:25 pm

i Always like Rosie as S.H.I.T. and i find Eric Young and ODB really funny for some reason
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

https://soundcloud.com/chris-lappin-1

Back to top Go down

Post by Marsh Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:30 pm

Y2James wrote:Have to go with 2 cool. I used to love them and still smile when I remember them and Rakishi clearing the ring at the 2000 rumble and then dancing till the next guy came out.... and I was about 20 at the time so cant even say it was because I was a kid liking the cheesy bits Smile
Agree with Too Cool, although I was 9 at the time so had an excuse Laugh 

I also used to love the brief Grandmaster Sexay/Steve Blackman tag team on Heat with Grandmaster trying to gt Blackman to liven up

Marsh

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:38 pm

Hogan was called RIP (and look like the lovechild of Hogan and Smurfette) in No Hold Barred
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhZfvqBbto4

Macho Man & Zeus promos. Wish there were guys like this nowadays!

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by VDT Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:50 pm

Marsh wrote:
Y2James wrote:Have to go with 2 cool. I used to love them and still smile when I remember them and Rakishi clearing the ring at the 2000 rumble and then dancing till the next guy came out.... and I was about 20 at the time so cant even say it was because I was a kid liking the cheesy bits Smile
Agree with Too Cool, although I was 9 at the time so had an excuse Laugh 

I also used to love the brief Grandmaster Sexay/Steve Blackman tag team on Heat with Grandmaster trying to gt Blackman to liven up
I loved it when Too Cool put the yellow glasses on Rikishi and he become the FunkasaurusV1
VDT
VDT
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by XR Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:12 pm

Before they were Too Cool, Too Much had to be the gayest thing ever.

XR

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:52 pm

VDT wrote:
Hogan was called RIP (and look like the lovechild of Hogan and Smurfette) in No Hold Barred
I know, but to make it clear I know my Thunderlips from my Rip, my Deebo from my Zeus, I was looking at Tiny Lister's motivation for attacking Hulk in the WWF at the time. "Who is Hulk Hogan the actor to get top billing? His only starring role prior was Thunderlips. I was in Beverly Hills Cop 2, dammit!"

Clearly a poor attempt at humour.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:56 am

Had to be Al Snow. Loved watching his hardcore matches, plus enjoyed his skits with Foley and his tag team with Steve Blackman - Headcheese!!
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:12 pm

For me it has to be Vickie Guerrero.

I've enjoyed her for years, she was the best thing about Chavo v Rey and Chavo v Benoit feuds in 06/07, which wasn't hard tbf.

Her work with Edge was phenomenal and she did a great job as Smackdown GM, some of the bumps she took at that point, the tombstone from 'Taker springs to mind, for a non-wrestler was very well done.

Since then I've always had a soft spot when she was on screen, though she was good for Ziggler as his manager, though he probably outgrew her a bit quicker than WWE realised, as well as her GM work being very versatile, from bullying AJ to sucking up to the McMahons, while there not always the most enjoyable of skits she plays it all with aplomb, and it's worth remembering this is from a house-wife who entered the business in order to pick up a paycheque following the death of her husband.

Plus no matter how hard anyone tries to tell me 'Excuse Me' gets heat, and is one of the few things in wrestling these days that still seems to get under peoples skin.

She's a bit of a Milf as well

Vickie heart 

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:36 pm

Kid Vicious wrote:
VDT wrote:
I know, but to make it clear I know my Thunderlips from my Rip, my Deebo from my Zeus, I was looking at Tiny Lister's motivation for attacking Hulk in the WWF at the time. "Who is Hulk Hogan the actor to get top billing? His only starring role prior was Thunderlips. I was in Beverly Hills Cop 2, dammit!"

Clearly a poor attempt at humour.

I think we all know the real star of NHB, was Peter Dinklage as a midget hanging in a cage from the roof of the dodgy bar, wonder what he's up to now?

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:25 pm

The thing with Vickie, is I like her in doses, like with a lot of things in WWE, as soon as something goes well, they overuse it. I think she makes a good GM who people don't like, she's a bitchy boss, something I think can translate into the real world in the same way Mr. McMahon could in the 90s.

The problem for me is how much we see of her, she shouldn't have more than a few minutes on TV every week, but towards the end of her time as Raw GM we were seeing her 10 times a night, or having a 30 minute segment around her, she's too much to take in that period.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down