The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWE Superstar Darren Young comes out as gay.

+15
Kay Fabe
gaffer_reborn
Dr Gregory House MD
theundisputedY2D2
crippledtart
The Womble
NickisBHAFC
Lowlandbrit
Dolphin Ziggler
Kid Vicious
RinoGattuso
Crimey
Adam D
Marky
x12x
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

WWE Superstar Darren Young comes out as gay. Empty WWE Superstar Darren Young comes out as gay.

Post by x12x Thu 15 Aug 2013, 11:16 am

Full article & video here: http://www.pwmania.com/wwe-superstar-darren-young-comes-out-im-gay-video#.UgymuTkyfjR

Darren Young has become the first openly gay wrestler while signed to a major promotion, my question to you guys is...how do you think it will effect his standing within the WWE...PTP have hardly been main eventers but do you see this pushing them further down the card or improving their standing? Do you think WWE will attempt to use this as a way of showing they are equal opportunity or can you see an offensively cliche storyline coming out of this news. How do you think fellow WWE superstars will react...do you see some people refusing to work with him?

I myself think it's amazing that he's been brave enough to come out and think his message is dead on when he says "does it matter?" or asks if it changes the person's opinion of him because of it...hope that WWE and his fellow roster members support him and show that being gay is not something you should be ashamed of or hide, I'm not saying push him for this reason alone but just make sure he doesn't get buried for being gay...only time will tell though.

x12x

Back to top Go down

WWE Superstar Darren Young comes out as gay. Empty Re: WWE Superstar Darren Young comes out as gay.

Post by Marky Thu 15 Aug 2013, 11:19 am

Three words. Next Orlando Jordan.

Marky

Back to top Go down

WWE Superstar Darren Young comes out as gay. Empty Re: WWE Superstar Darren Young comes out as gay.

Post by Adam D Thu 15 Aug 2013, 11:29 am

Who better than Kanyon?

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 15 Aug 2013, 11:29 am

I think this is obviously a great step, I just hope WWE are sensible with it and don't decide to use it derogatorily in storyline. I can see this making his career difficult, but hope it inspires an attitude change.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RinoGattuso Thu 15 Aug 2013, 12:14 pm

The WWE will probably push him, they want a black babyface plus pushing an openly gay wrestler will get great publicity with that GLAD mob on the scene.

RinoGattuso

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 15 Aug 2013, 12:28 pm

His sexual persuasion should have no bearing on his career. He should be pushed or jobbed out based upon his abilities as a professional wrestler. The cynic in me suspects he's come out for a reason, be it to prolong his WWE career or that he hopes to get a financially preferable singles push, and I find it unlikely WWE won't use his homosexuality in a storyline at some point. Whether that use will be as a mid-title push or a Mr FE, time will tell.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 15 Aug 2013, 2:18 pm

Good for him, got to be difficult in an industry where people will question the support a gay man would get, and an industry that could arguably be perceived as institutionally racist too. 

It shouldnt affect his career at all, but of course it will. It may not be majorly, but naturally people react to different aspects of people. I would just hope it is nothing ridiculous. I hope it isnt addressed on television for a long time.

Interesting to see whether it is mentioned in a wrestling context and whether WWE think its a good chance to approach the subject in a positive light.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Thu 15 Aug 2013, 2:33 pm

Darren Young's Twitter bio wrote:As comfortable in the VIP section as he is in the ring, Darren Young’s life revolves around three things — money, women and wrestling.

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 15 Aug 2013, 2:44 pm

The cynic in me does think that he's come out to avoid getting released, he's clearly the weak link in the Prime Time Players and I wouldn't be surprised if his name is one that often comes up in guys who should be released.

Coming out now would mean being released soon after would look very suspicious.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 15 Aug 2013, 2:46 pm

He seemed pretty relaxed about it, I'm not sure hes overly concerned. The video showed him to be quite nonchalant, the damn reporter was an idiot though, a real moron.

I would say calling him the weak link his harsh too. He wrestles well, evidenced by his match with Punk, and him and O'Neil share a very good chemistry.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Crimey Thu 15 Aug 2013, 2:48 pm

It's more of a compliment to Titus O'Neil who I actually think is really underrated rather than a slight on Young.

Crimey
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Thu 15 Aug 2013, 3:27 pm

Darren Young, huge respect for this guy. Probably one of the toughest things he could of done, there is a silly amount of idiots out there, who will aim to make his life a living hell, but by the looks of thing on twitter people are having huge respect for him.

Good moment for WWE IMO, all the best to Young, steady wrestler and the Prime Time Players are hilarious IMO! MILLIONS OF DOLLARS

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by x12x Thu 15 Aug 2013, 3:35 pm

I assume WWE will probably avoid the subject, if history tells us anything then we should hope they do because a gimmick based on him being gay would be awful...I could be wrong though, they could come out (no pun intended) and support him telling the fans that being who you are is the most important thing and sexuality does not change anything about you apart from the person you fall in love with.

x12x

Back to top Go down

Post by The Womble Thu 15 Aug 2013, 4:01 pm

He seems to be getting the support from his bosses. Stephanie has congratulated him and Triple H has just posted this:

Triple H ‏@TripleH 1m
Congratulations, @DarrenYoungWWE for living YOUR life, YOUR way. #proud
The Womble
The Womble

Back to top Go down

Post by Lowlandbrit Thu 15 Aug 2013, 4:06 pm

So, what do they do with Titus? Life partner? Supportive friend? Stereotypical jock who eventually learns to accept him for who he is?

Lowlandbrit

Back to top Go down

Post by Marky Thu 15 Aug 2013, 4:12 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:So, what do they do with Titus? Life partner? Supportive friend? Stereotypical jock who eventually learns to accept him for who he is?
Give it time, i'm sure WWE will push them as the black Billy and Chuck.

Marky

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Thu 15 Aug 2013, 4:21 pm

"Bah Gawd, Darren Young. He's pounding Heath Slater. Pounding him hard in the middle of the ring."

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by x12x Thu 15 Aug 2013, 4:22 pm

Lowlandbrit wrote:So, what do they do with Titus? Life partner? Supportive friend? Stereotypical jock who eventually learns to accept him for who he is?
How about they don't change how they are together at all...make it as if him coming out isn't a big deal...

x12x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Aug 2013, 4:24 pm

The Womble wrote:He seems to be getting the support from his bosses. Stephanie has congratulated him and Triple H has just posted this:

Triple H ‏@TripleH 1m
Congratulations,  @DarrenYoungWWE for living YOUR life, YOUR way.  #proud
Trips has gone up in my estimation.

Good luck to the guy.

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Thu 15 Aug 2013, 4:37 pm

Every fibre of my being hurts saying this, but...well said triple H

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Thu 15 Aug 2013, 4:43 pm

Fair play to Darren Young, it can't have been an easy decision for him. OK 

xviperx wrote:
How about they don't change how they are together at all...make it as if him coming out isn't a big deal...
This. I really hope WWE don't make an issue out of it at all. I know it's a pretty big deal for him to tell the world that he's gay but I don't think there is any need to introduce it into storylines. WWE's track record for handling sensitive issues isn't great either.

theundisputedY2D2

Location : Down By The Clyde, Near The SECC - You Can't Miss It!

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 15 Aug 2013, 4:44 pm

Wrestlemania 30- The PTPs & Pat Paterson vs The Briscoes & The Ultimate Warrior

Book it

In all seriousness, respect for Darren for doing what must have difficult given his line of work and respect for HHH for showing a more mature line from WWE higher ups than what I would have expected.

Though I always thought Kanyon was the first person to come out in a high profile wrestling company?

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by x12x Thu 15 Aug 2013, 4:45 pm

It looks like some real positive stuff coming from this so far, WWE have released a status: http://www.wwe.com/inside/wwe-releases-statement-on-darren-young

and Darren's tag partner Titus had this to say on Twitter:

Titus O'Neil ‏@TitusONeilWWE 19m
I'm VERY PROUD of @DarrenYoungWWE He's been like Family 2Me&My Kids And that won't Change! #ImInFullSupportOfDarren

x12x

Back to top Go down

Post by gaffer_reborn Thu 15 Aug 2013, 4:47 pm

guaranteed spot in total divas series 2

gaffer_reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Thu 15 Aug 2013, 4:54 pm

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:Wrestlemania 30- The PTPs & Pat Paterson vs The Briscoes & The Ultimate Warrior

Book it

In all seriousness, respect for Darren for doing what must have difficult given his line of work and respect for HHH for showing a more mature line from WWE higher ups than what I would have expected.

Though I always thought Kanyon was the first person to come out in a high profile wrestling company?

Kanyon didn't come out until after he'd been released by WWE. Later on he attended a WWE house show and caused a scene by holding up a couple of signs. One of them was directed at HHH to ask Vince why he (Kanyon) was really fired and the other one said something like "Shawn please pray for my gay soul".

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 15 Aug 2013, 6:30 pm

theundisputedY2D2 wrote:
Dr Gregory House MD wrote:Wrestlemania 30- The PTPs & Pat Paterson vs The Briscoes & The Ultimate Warrior

Book it

Kanyon didn't come out until after he'd been released by WWE. Later on he attended a WWE house show and caused a scene by holding up a couple of signs. One of them was directed at HHH to ask Vince why he (Kanyon) was really fired and the other one said something like "Shawn please pray for my gay soul".

Cheers Y2, for some reason I had in my head that he came out in WCW and was trying to get a push as a guy who just happens to be gay

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Kay Fabe Thu 15 Aug 2013, 9:12 pm

The WWE wouldnt dare fire the first guy that came out would they?

Imagine how WWE would look to the main stream if they're shown as pushing their first openly gay 'Superstar' to the moon...

Best decision of his life me thinks

It's great for the guy that he feels confident and comfortable enough to do it, I'm just blasè about these situations though, someone telling me they're gay has as much impact on me as someone telling me they're straight

Kay Fabe

Back to top Go down

Post by x12x Thu 15 Aug 2013, 9:19 pm

Kay Fabe wrote:I'm just blasè about these situations though, someone telling me they're gay has as much impact on me as someone telling me they're straight
Best thing I've read on the subject all day!

x12x

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 15 Aug 2013, 9:39 pm

Great sentiment, but it is big news in the context. Its not him personally I care about, but it has ramifications. Even if nothing happens, that is something.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 15 Aug 2013, 10:39 pm

Kay Fabe wrote:

It's great for the guy that he feels confident and comfortable enough to do it, I'm just blasè about these situations though, someone telling me they're gay has as much impact on me as someone telling me they're straight
On the whole I agree with you, in general life, it shouldn't be an issue about whether someone is gay or not.

But I think sport (and WWE by extension as sports entertainment) is an area in which clearly something is preventing people from coming out, and by laws of averages there must be a few who are keeping themselves to themselves.

I'm not saying they should be forced or feel some expectation to come out publicly but when someone does and I know from experience it can be difficult on a small scale let alone publicly, that should be applauded.

Particularly as sports stars are generally role models for young men, which is an area in which homophobia is obviously at its most prevalent, and it is an area in which barriers will only be broken down if anyone who is brave enough to admit their sexuality and be accepted for it.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by crippledtart Thu 15 Aug 2013, 10:42 pm

Gaffer's right about one thing - however you feel about it, the fact of the matter is that Darren Young is now marketable. That's a big deal and it's a genuine marketability.

Personally I'd like him to be wrestling's first gay babyface, and I think fan reaction will ensure that WWE has no choice but to turn him face.

I'm not saying he should be pushed to the main event, but I'd like to see a nice story told about how Darren Young is a good role model who happens to be openly gay.

crippledtart

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Thu 15 Aug 2013, 10:44 pm

I still think they should push the button on the PTP vs Briscoes feud

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by x12x Thu 15 Aug 2013, 10:44 pm

How do you play that though, will you have Ryback make homophobic slurs and then have all the superstars come out and stand up for him...like a family?

x12x

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Thu 15 Aug 2013, 10:56 pm

Its a very easy story to tell for me. It doesnt even need to be about homophobia as such, just a person finding his "identity" as it were. You could then have a heel who doesnt care about his "journey". I think they need to be careful not to reaffirm people's presumptions, so no backstage segments where wrestlers are uncomfortable in the same changing room as him. 

Do they push him solo now? No, not for me. 

I think this should result in a push for the PTPs, one that they deserve anyway. It could well be more important for WWE fans of a certain criteria to be shown them staying friends even though one has come out, how it doesnt make a difference to their friendship and how the team excels now Darren Young has been given the chance to be "himself". 

Does he have to turn face soon? I don't know. Playing devil's advocate, does that send a message that he has changed his identity just because people know hes gay? 

Does it interest me that Darren Young is gay? No. Does it interest me that an active member of the WWE roster is gay? Yes, because it is an intriguing situation. A young gay black athlete for the WWE is marketing gold. 

PTPs to be the team to take the titles off the Shield?

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Fri 16 Aug 2013, 8:38 am

So not only is wrestling fake its also gay!

Fair play to the gay, i mean guy, given all of the masculinity and testosterone likely to fly about backstage it's a brave decision to come out. I can definitely see the wwe getting behind him now, no pun intended.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Fri 16 Aug 2013, 8:41 am

Sorry for any offence caused to any gay individuals but the pun was too good to let go.

They should rename the PPV Bummerslam

I'm here all week...

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri 16 Aug 2013, 9:04 am

So does this mean that Darren Young is now the right gay..... guy at the right time?

Hulk Hogan must be fuming!

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Fri 16 Aug 2013, 9:09 am

I'm firmly behind Darren Young. Rooting for him.

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr H Fri 16 Aug 2013, 9:18 am

He brings a whole new dimension to the term 'back splash'.

Mr H

Back to top Go down

Post by theundisputedY2D2 Fri 16 Aug 2013, 9:22 am

Hope he doesn't get involved in any ladder matches any time soon, especially if Jim Ross is on commentary:

"BAH GAWD KING! DARREN YOUNG JUST JERKED JOHN CENA OFF THAT LADDER! HE JERKED HIM OFF!"

theundisputedY2D2

Back to top Go down

Post by Kid Vicious Fri 16 Aug 2013, 9:23 am

I've heard they're going to rename him Juan Direction..

Kid Vicious

Back to top Go down

Post by Shot 21 LCFC Fri 16 Aug 2013, 3:27 pm

Congrats to him.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/superstars-tweet-support-for-darren-young-26140583
More superstars reactions.

Shot 21 LCFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Aug 2013, 3:31 pm

Not sure why Jim Ross had to mention his ethnicity there though? A bit weird that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Fri 16 Aug 2013, 3:32 pm

His new signature weapon should be a bundle of sticks that would normally be used for fuel

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr Gregory House MD Fri 16 Aug 2013, 3:34 pm

FreekShow wrote:Not sure why Jim Ross had to mention his ethnicity there though? A bit weird that.

May I suggest it's because he's southern

Dr Gregory House MD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 16 Aug 2013, 4:14 pm

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:
FreekShow wrote:Not sure why Jim Ross had to mention his ethnicity there though? A bit weird that.

Ah right! thumbsup 

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Fri 16 Aug 2013, 6:29 pm

I think his ethnicity adds another layer to all of this.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 16 Aug 2013, 6:36 pm

Heck yeah his ethnicity is important. Well done to the E, and the world in general, as to how far it has come. 20-25 years ago, there would have been a special spot at the dole for a gay black Wrestler. Now Triple H is congratulating him
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by x12x Fri 16 Aug 2013, 7:51 pm

Dr Gregory House MD wrote:

I assume it was him drawing a comparison between racism and homophobia as in racism used to be a major problem in the past with segregation etc but is now looked down upon...the same way homophobia should be...sadly homophobia is accepted much easier than it should.

x12x

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Fri 16 Aug 2013, 10:06 pm

Darren Young's Twitter bio wrote:

As comfortable in the VIP section as he is in
the ring, Darren Young’s life revolves around
three things — money, women and wrestling.

Pretty funny. It really is normally the "I get tons of b!t©hes, thats what Im about" guys who are generally down low
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next