The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxing mythology (Media Cat article )

5 posters

Go down

Boxing mythology  (Media Cat article ) Empty Boxing mythology (Media Cat article )

Post by HumanWindmill Thu May 12, 2011 8:18 am

DISCLAIMER : NOT A SINGLE WORD OF THIS IS MY WORK. AUTHOR USERNAME IS MEDIACAT

I've borrowed this one from an excellent contributor named MediaCat from the BBC 606:

Boxing mythology.

When it comes to toughness, I was impressed with the story of Battling Levinsky. According to various sources, including Harry Mullan's "The Great Book of Boxing", Levinsky famously fought three separate bouts on New Year’s Day, 1915. Levinsky was certainly prolific and, if anything, this feat was further proof that old-time boxers were far tougher than their modern-day counterparts.

Looking to research this a bit, it appears, however, that Levinsky only fought Gunboat Smith on New Year's Day, and there’s no actual evidence the other two bouts took place. According to BoxRec, Levinsky’s manager, Dan Morgan, may have been responsible for making the story up.

So, like me, have you ever heard a boxing story that greatly impressed you, only to find out later on that it may have been the stuff of pure mythology?

Last edited by HumanWindmill on Thu May 12, 2011 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Boxing mythology  (Media Cat article ) Empty Re: Boxing mythology (Media Cat article )

Post by Rowley Thu May 12, 2011 8:24 am

Would guess the one that springs to mind is the old one about Willie Pep winning a round without throwing a punch which is more often than not now agreed as having not really happened.

Another one which is a funny old story but in all probability didn't happen is about Sam Langford coming out during one of his fights for something like the 4th round and shaking his opponents hand was asked "why are we shaking hands it's not the last round" to which Langford replied it is for you. According to the excellent biography of Sam by Clay Moyle this story is again most probably apocryphal

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Boxing mythology  (Media Cat article ) Empty Re: Boxing mythology (Media Cat article )

Post by HumanWindmill Thu May 12, 2011 8:39 am

PM on its way to you, jeff

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu May 12, 2011 9:52 am

Sorry to take it off topic for one moment, but it'd be funny if someone could dredge up some of the old classic wum threads, anything ranging from onetwo's spinning back fist article, to a one bomb fight report, to a green giant getting sacked for sleeping with the bosses wife...

I also recall a poster named 'rapiddanmanchester' I think, he was a very good poster and a shame he disappeared, he wrote some cracking articles.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by HumanWindmill Thu May 12, 2011 9:54 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Sorry to take it off topic for one moment, but it'd be funny if someone could dredge up some of the old classic wum threads, anything ranging from onetwo's spinning back fist article, to a one bomb fight report, to a green giant getting sacked for sleeping with the bosses wife...

I also recall a poster named 'rapiddanmanchester' I think, he was a very good poster and a shame he disappeared, he wrote some cracking articles.

You don't think I have enough to do ?

HumanWindmill
VIP
VIP

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Thu May 12, 2011 9:54 am

Fists of Fury wrote:Sorry to take it off topic for one moment, but it'd be funny if someone could dredge up some of the old classic wum threads, anything ranging from onetwo's spinning back fist article, to a one bomb fight report, to a green giant getting sacked for sleeping with the bosses wife...

No problems with you doing that Fists (or anyone else) but if you do, can you just post a link in the pub thread to discuss it please and keep the main board free of the wum stuff?

thanks

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu May 12, 2011 9:54 am

Too right Fists. Some of Ralphy's legendary threads about the genius of Richie Woodhall would be more than welcome. His all time peak of why Richie would take Benn out in two rounds is still capable of making me smile

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu May 12, 2011 9:56 am

Ha, indeed Jeff! Fantastic stuff, priceless.

Morning Hobo, yeah I was meant to suggest either that or just 1 thread where it is all contained, otherwise chaos may descend with a plethora of wum articles!

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Thu May 12, 2011 10:02 am

Well...

There is some suggestion that Pep did do the mythical "round-win". As the only bloke who reported he didn't was later sacked for "innacuraccy" and was rumoured to have not even been at the fight anyway. Although some have suggested that Pep got forgetful in his dotage and did do the round win - but against a different opponent.

Hmm.

I have heard the "touch gloves" story attributed to SRR, Zale and Graziano. And Fritzie Zivic - Zivic being almost believable - he was asked to carry this guy 4 rounds - so did (frustrated as the guy was awful) and then destroyed him.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down