The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

US Open Draw

+15
socal1976
summerblues
ryan86
invisiblecoolers
mthierry
banbrotam
Chydremion
The Special Juan
CAS
TRuffin
ChequeredJersey
yloponom68
Danny_1982
slashermcguirk
hawkeye
19 posters

Go down

US Open Draw  Empty US Open Draw

Post by hawkeye Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:19 pm

For anyone interested this is the draw for top eight seeds

#USOpen draw: Projected QFs: Djokovic-del Potro, Murray-Berdych, Ferrer-Gasquet, Federer-Nadal. Fedal could have first ever USO match in QF

https://twitter.com/BenRothenberg

Sad  As usual I only had one wish Federer and Nadal to be in opposite half...

Who said draws are fixed for Federer? Rolling Eyes

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

US Open Draw  Empty Re: US Open Draw

Post by slashermcguirk Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:30 pm

Interesting QF match ups if it goes to the above. Nadal bogey player for federer, berdych bogey player for Murray and del potro can beat anybody on his day and a risk to Novak. I see nadal winning to be honest, if Murray and Novak play in semis, they will rip each other to pieces and nadal will likely arrive fresher!

If nadal meets fed, federer will be really hungry though! He will not want to have lost to nadal at all slams. Hard to see him beat nadal over 3 sets these days though, let alone 5!!

slashermcguirk

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:33 pm

Quite happy with that from a Rafa perspective HE? I personally think this makes him the favourite.

I wanted Rafa in the semi from a Murray perspective, just because I want to see them play! And Berdych was the last QF opponent I wanted for Andy.

A replay of Novak and Delpo will be fun.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Danny_1982. No I'm Sad  I would have preferred Murray in Nadal's half in place of Federer.

It's just not right that Federer and Nadal could have their long awaited meeting at the US Open in a quarter...

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by yloponom68 Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:49 pm

Great to see repeats of recent Muzza v Bird Man, and Rafa v Roger - will be interesting to see them IF they all get there. Majors are a different "breed" so might not play out the same way.

yloponom68

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:04 pm

Ferrer-Gasquet is about as weak a quarter as is imaginable
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:05 pm

I hope we get a Nadal-Murray final but I would take a Nadal-Djoko rematch or even Nadal-DelPo
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:13 pm

Assuming any of them get that far, of course. After Wimbly I'm making no assumptions
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:15 pm

If what I just read is true, Federer and Nadal drew each other for Quarters in every tourney they both played in this year- except Rome. smh... that's with Federer at #2, Nadal 5, Fed at 5, Nadal 3, Federer at 7, Nadal 2.... gimme a break- I used to not believe in rigged draws..

It's a set up to get the big Fed/Nadal match, then for one of those two through to the finals to get the next best marquee matchup

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:18 pm

Also, bad news for Rafa, the one player he has a "notable" losing record against, Davydenko, is a possible Round 3 opponent.
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:29 pm

^^ I think the days of Davydenko being able to challenge the likes of Rafa are long gone!

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:30 pm

So do I but it's still an interesting possibility
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:35 pm

TRuffin wrote:If what I just read is true, Federer and Nadal drew each other for Quarters in every tourney they both played in this year- except Rome.   smh... that's with Federer at #2, Nadal 5, Fed at 5, Nadal 3, Federer at 7, Nadal 2.... gimme a break- I used to not believe in rigged draws..

It's a set up to get the big Fed/Nadal match, then for one of those two through to the finals to get the next best marquee matchup
It's crazy! Federer has lost bucket loads of points because he's been unlucky enough to get Nadal so many times. I also think losing in the quarters in IW when he had such a reduced schedule meant lack of matches has been damaging.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:03 pm

Sky warming up for it by showing last 5 years finals. Tonight it's Rafa v Novak 2010. Really enjoyed this match. Think I might have to watch it again.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:22 pm

so Del Potro, Murray and Djokovic all in opposite side to Rafa? He must be pretty pleased about that, he should make the final at least unless Grandpa can spring a miracle!

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:07 pm

Ah Nadal gets a bunny of a draw, we'll see him in the final. Against whom? If Murray can get past Tomas I'll say Murray-Nadal. Novak's not at all written off by me and he's still my favourite on a hard court over a BO5 but the way he's been going I'd think twice about putting my money on him at the moment.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:14 pm

I'm gonna make a prediction, del Potro to beat djok in QFS, Murray to beat DelPo in semis and Rafa beats Murray in the final

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by TRuffin Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:23 pm

Djoko got the toughest quarter from a start to finish standpoint.

TRuffin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:26 pm

Murray v Berdych is a tough call. He's not intimidated by Murray in the slightest. He enjoys knocking out big players in slam semis. It was the only QF that I would have worried about.

I hope Berdy falls before then as I think he might knock Murray out.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:27 pm

Murray v Berdych is a tough call. He's not intimidated by Murray in the slightest. He enjoys knocking out big players in slam semis. It was the only QF that I would have worried about.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by Chydremion Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:24 pm

Wawrinka might beat Berdych in the fourth round.

Chydremion

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:45 pm

Brad Gilbert says the courts are playing slowly this year at the USO but that might be because of the humid weather. We'll see if they get quicker.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:00 pm

Rafa the man in form, avoids the Murray half, courts allegedly playing slow... The more I hear the more I think Rafa will win.

Can't wait for it to start. Best slam to watch in my opinion.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:29 pm

The Special Juan wrote:Brad Gilbert says the courts are playing slowly this year at the USO but that might be because of the humid weather.  We'll see if they get quicker.

It's hard to see how they can be any slower!! Although, last year was certainly faster than the 2011

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by banbrotam Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:30 pm

Danny_1982 wrote:Murray v Berdych is a tough call. He's not intimidated by Murray in the slightest. He enjoys knocking out big players in slam semis. It was the only QF that I would have worried about.

The winner of the US Open, will be one of these two. I think!!!

banbrotam

Back to top Go down

Post by CAS Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:38 pm

banbrotam wrote:
Danny_1982 wrote:Murray v Berdych is a tough call. He's not intimidated by Murray in the slightest. He enjoys knocking out big players in slam semis. It was the only QF that I would have worried about.

The winner of the US Open, will be one of these two. I think!!!
Berdych would need a lot of favours, can't see him beating Murray, Djokovic and Nadal one after the other...I think Federer has a better shot

CAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny_1982 Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:52 am

Bold claim banbro. Whilst I could see Berdy beating Andy, I can't see him following it by beating Novak (or Delpo for that matter) and then Rafa. When he's on it he can knock the best out, but 3 in a row? I doubt it.

Murray's first week and a bit looks ok. No obvious threats. Mind you, I thought that about Roger and Rafa's first weeks at Wimbledon!!

Since the draw Murray has gone from joint second favourite with Rafa, to third favourite as far as the bookies are concerned.

Danny_1982

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:05 am

Even if Berdych beats Murray, he'll get spanked by Djokovic who owns him. And in a 5-setter, Berdych may claim a set or 2 but Murray would always fancy himself in the final set. Final will be contested by 2 of the top 3, imo.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by mthierry Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:09 am

banbrotam wrote:
The Special Juan wrote:Brad Gilbert says the courts are playing slowly this year at the USO but that might be because of the humid weather.  We'll see if they get quicker.
It's hard to see how they can be any slower!! Although, last year was certainly faster than the 2011
I think it started with their mixing a lot more sand with the court paint in 2011: a formula I think they retained in 2012. I don't think last year's surface was any quicker. But it's getting really irritating they've got to screw with all the courts and leave fans debating conjecture about ifs-and-buts if conditions were different.

mthierry

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:12 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:I hope we get a Nadal-Murray final but I would take a Nadal-Djoko rematch or even Nadal-DelPo
I wish to see a Nadal- Del Po finals and Del Po winning in 5, that would be awesome sight from a Del Po fan side, for some reason I see the draw is very well balanced for the first time in history, really not much to complain on, this time the winner will win more with skill than luck.thumbsup 

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:14 am

ChequeredJersey wrote:Also, bad news for Rafa, the one player he has a "notable" losing record against, Davydenko, is a possible Round 3 opponent.
Davydenko will not make it thus far, Pospisil will eat him for breakfast.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:16 am

hawkeye wrote:
TRuffin wrote:If what I just read is true, Federer and Nadal drew each other for Quarters in every tourney they both played in this year- except Rome.   smh... that's with Federer at #2, Nadal 5, Fed at 5, Nadal 3, Federer at 7, Nadal 2.... gimme a break- I used to not believe in rigged draws..

It's crazy! Federer has lost bucket loads of points because he's been unlucky enough to get Nadal so many times. I also think losing in the quarters in IW when he had such a reduced schedule meant lack of matches has been damaging.
Well he deserves to be where he is now given how carefree he was at the start of the season, he was partying, touring and completely forgot Tennis is his profession, all these results stirred him back to the court, lets see whether he can get back where he is, but given his age it gonna be a miracle from here on.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:17 am

CAS wrote:I'm gonna make a prediction, del Potro to beat djok in QFS, Murray to beat DelPo in semis and Rafa beats Murray in the final
Seems like a good call.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:41 am

On the womens side, I don't see a long run for Heather Watson. Simona Halep her opponent is on hot streak at the moment, reaching her 4th final in two months.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:33 pm

ryan86 wrote:On the womens side, I don't see a long run for Heather Watson. Simona Halep her opponent is on hot streak at the moment, reaching her 4th final in two months.
I watched her do Wozniacki in last night and she was very impressive. Halep hit a lot of unbelievable winners and passing shots, a lot of them at important moments, and Wozniacki didn't have an answer no matter how many times she moonballed. Hev's in trouble.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:28 pm

Top half noticeably more difficult than the bottom half.  Nole has the hardest draw.  Murray's is also quite hard.  Rafa's draw is not an outright cakewalk, but the easiest of the three.

Everything else being equal, I would have them as 1. Nole, 2. Andy and 3. Rafa in terms of chances to win.  So, with the difficulty of the draw going in the opposite direction, it can equalize their chances and make it pretty even between the three.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by invisiblecoolers Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:00 pm

summerblues wrote:Top half noticeably more difficult than the bottom half.  Nole has the hardest draw.  Murray's is also quite hard.  Rafa's draw is not an outright cakewalk, but the easiest of the three.

Everything else being equal, I would have them as 1. Nole, 2. Andy and 3. Rafa in terms of chances to win.  So, with the difficulty of the draw going in the opposite direction, it can equalize their chances and make it pretty even between the three.
Yup thats why I see this US open draw more even and balanced, and don't give up on the old man, he has time and again surprised us, I see the winner coming from Bottom Half.

invisiblecoolers

Back to top Go down

Post by socal1976 Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Well having Del Po in your quarter is not a big favor to djokovic. I am quite happy to see fed draw Nadal. Now the tournament directors know that at best fed is guaranteed of a quarterfinal birth, so magically they give him Nadal's quarter. Since he can't consistently make the semis and finals they will have to settle for the quarter final fedal match up.

socal1976

Back to top Go down

Post by hawkeye Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:39 pm

The OOP is out for Monday and both Federer and Nadal play. I presume that means their quarter (if they get that far) should be the evening session a week on Wednsday.

hawkeye

Back to top Go down

Post by The Special Juan Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:46 pm

http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/schedule/index.html?promo=subnav

Murray might be on Wednesday so they obviously are anti-Murray. Robbo and Evans are both on on Monday @ 4pm though. I wouldn't expect much from either for different reasons as Robbo is returning from injury and Evans is playing a tough opponent.
The Special Juan
The Special Juan

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:58 pm

hawkeye wrote:The OOP is out for Monday and both Federer and Nadal play. I presume that means their quarter (if they get that far) should be the evening session a week on Wednsday.
I am assuming so too.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by summerblues Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:01 am

invisiblecoolers wrote:and don't give up on the old man, he has time and again surprised us
The old man has a reasonably nice draw too with one wrinkle - there is no path that leads him past the QF.

summerblues

Back to top Go down

Post by ryan86 Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:43 am

The US's final set tie break even takes away the chance of an unbreakable Isner causing himself and Nadal to collapse at 134-all in the final set, allowing Federer to waltz into the semis unapposed.

ryan86

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:24 am

Rafa is now the bookies favourite following the draw.
http://www.oddschecker.com/tennis/us-open/mens/mens-us-open/winner

Although it's by a tiny margin. Many of them have him dead level with Djokovic.

Nadal would actually be second favourite in the final if he played Djokovic, and that's clearly implied by those odds. However obviously Nadal with a better chance to reach the final in the first place.

If Del Potro could take out Djokovic/Murray and then fade in the final like at Indian Wells, that would be a good scenario for Rafa.

A bit harsh on Roger to draw Rafa for the second successive slam in the quarter following losing to him at IW and Cincinatti in the quarters as well.

Obviously the one half being stronger due to Del Potro, and the other weaker due to Ferrer.

Then again we talked a lot about the draw at Wimbledon and after about 4 days a lot of what we had was irrelevant with so many players going out early. So you never know.

Don't see too many obvious banana skins for the top players to be honest.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:25 am

ryan86 wrote:The US's final set tie break even takes away the chance of an unbreakable Isner causing himself and Nadal to collapse at 134-all in the final set, allowing Federer to waltz into the semis unapposed.
Yes. We all remember Nadal's 5-hour epic semi against Verdasco and he could barely stand up against Federer in the final. Wink 

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:54 pm

Been planning to post on this but, I havent been on for a while. As a Nadal fan, I have to say that this is pretty close to a dream draw. Pre-2009, a Davydenko 3rd Rd would have resulted in cold sweats! Now, well even if Federer beats Nadal in USO, It would be great for tennis to see them complete a Grand Slam of battles, of course it would be even better for Nadal to have a career grand Slam of victories over Federer, but it matters little. Most important, for me, is Nadal making it through the journeymen, two of his three (THREE) defeats this year have been at the hands of journeymen. Anything past the QF's in a grand Slam is a bonus given the super year he has had.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by Henman Bill Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:51 pm

If Federer needs Nadal Federer needs to win to even things out a bit.

That would make it 2-2.

Federer is 2-1 up at Wimbledon.
0-2 down is it at the Australian Open.
Maybe about 0-6 at the French Open.
0-0 at the US Open.

Henman Bill

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:10 pm

kingraf wrote:Been planning to post on this but, I havent been on for a while. As a Nadal fan, I have to say that this is pretty close to a dream draw. Pre-2009, a Davydenko 3rd Rd would have resulted in cold sweats! Now, well even if Federer beats Nadal in USO, It would be great for tennis to see them complete a Grand Slam of battles, of course it would be even better for Nadal to have a career grand Slam of victories over Federer, but it matters little. Most important, for me, is Nadal making it through the journeymen, two of his three (THREE) defeats this year have been at the hands of journeymen. Anything past the QF's in a grand Slam is a bonus given the super year he has had.
Fed's not quite at journeyman level yet, although he keeps losing to them more than Rafa does. It wouldn't be too much of a surprise to see Nadal playing someone other than Fed in the quarters.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by lags72 Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:37 am

There was a time when you could have put your house on Fed making it through to (at least) the QF's. That time lasted a remarkable nine years and 36 Slams.

But the spell was finally broken a couple of months ago, and the odds of a first week exit will from now on be far less remote.

lags72

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down