The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleverley - A victim of The times !!!!

+18
Union Cane
Lance
Soldier_Of_Fortune
bhb001
Steffan
Hero
KC
owen10ozzy
DynamiteChris
jimdig
Strongback
horizontalhero
OasisBFC
The Terror of Tylorstown
Cast a Shadow
ONETWOFOREVER
Nico the gman
TRUSSMAN66
22 posters

Go down

Cleverley - A victim of The times !!!! Empty Cleverley - A victim of The times !!!!

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 24 Aug 2013, 7:03 pm

In any other sport you have to learn your craft before you can become Champion.....Chess, Tennis, Golf etc you learn by playing progressively better players than yourself......You become better by playing quality.........

Hence the problem these days with fighters including Cleverley......Why isn't there more Mayweathers, Mannys and JMM's ??? simply because with cheap titles the buck comes before learning your craft !!!!

You can get a WBO shot or an IBF before you fight anybody decent and of course when you're champion and a challenger comes a long of repute...then you're not ready.....

Sad but today most Boxers have to learn as champions..........apprenticeships are a thing of the past..

Warren likes his WBos but by giving Cleverley a cheap title he retarded him rather than developed him...

Cleverley is a victim of the times...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Cleverley - A victim of The times !!!! Empty Re: Cleverley - A victim of The times !!!!

Post by Nico the gman Sat 24 Aug 2013, 7:36 pm

Spot on Truss, in the 70s and 80s you earned the right to fight for the title by fighting top 10 fighters and eliminators, you had a good idea whether that fighter was good enough or not.
Cleverly would have been better served fighting experienced opponents who would test him before looking for a title hence the learning curve.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Cleverley - A victim of The times !!!! Empty Re: Cleverley - A victim of The times !!!!

Post by Guest Sat 24 Aug 2013, 7:43 pm

Right on point Truss.

How can a fighter be expected to learn by being belt feed easy fights and overmatched?

Promoters doing this are removing the element of progression and relying more on luck by hoping that when a big fights comes, their guy just happens to be talented enough to pull it off.

It's no surprise there is a lack of sympathy for Cleverley as coupled with his approach is the hubris.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sat 24 Aug 2013, 8:02 pm

I disagree

You learn your craft in the amatures. Thats where you learn the basics and where you will face a wider range of styles and opponants. Kolorav had a very impressive amature record so does Ridingeaux. Both are showing that class today.

Khan rushed into the pros and look at him. Full of flaws and almost shot as a fighter. How long can a fighter in the pro ranks go about ''learning your craft as you say''???

In the meantime will he be selling out venues?
Will anyone care for his next fight?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Sat 24 Aug 2013, 8:33 pm

Nicely done Truss - pretty much spot on.

In another era, Clev would have had to go down the British/Commonwealth/European route which would have provided the steady increase in opposition quality needed before getting a crack at world level.

One of the sadder aspects of the alphabet era, which is rarely talked about, is that these titles have become devalued somewhat. It should mean something to be national champion, and much more so to be the boss at continental level.

Instead. there's pressure on too many fighters to crack world class opposition - have seen on here many times a putdown of certain fighters that goes "Euro level at best", as if the idea of being top dog in a whole continent is no big deal.

Sad thing is, in the alphabet era perhaps it isn't?

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Sat 24 Aug 2013, 8:33 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:I disagree

You learn your craft in the amatures. Thats where you learn the basics and where you will face a wider range of styles and opponants. Kolorav had a very impressive amature record so does Ridingeaux. Both are showing that class today.

Khan rushed into the pros and look at him. Full of flaws and almost shot as a fighter. How long can a fighter in the pro ranks go about ''learning your craft as you say''???

In the meantime will he be selling out venues?
Will anyone care for his next fight?
Khan had an impressive amateur record silver Olympic medal,some fighters are unable to adjust from amateur to the pros,you learn the basics as amateur granted, but how many times have we remarked on pro fighters still being too amateurish.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Sat 24 Aug 2013, 8:45 pm

How was Hopkins amateur career?

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sat 24 Aug 2013, 8:56 pm

for every great pro without an amateur career you can name 100 with.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sat 24 Aug 2013, 9:13 pm

We are deviating from the topic slightly..

and I hate deviant behaviour unless it's me doing it...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Sat 24 Aug 2013, 9:15 pm

I don't think amateur success has any bearing on pro success, too many failures and too many that have succeeded without it.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by horizontalhero Sat 24 Aug 2013, 10:16 pm

Paterson, Ali, Frazier, Foreman, Bowe, Lewis, Klitchko- seems that amateur success certainly used to be an indicator, if not 100% reliable. But back to point in hand and I'm sort of with Truss on this- there used to be a clear route from area to British to Commonwealth to European to World title as followed by Honeyghan and Lewis that in theory ensued you received a proper education- too much fast tracking doesn't help in the long run. that said I think that however Clev had been bought along he'd still be an ex champ.

horizontalhero

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sat 24 Aug 2013, 11:22 pm

Did we need another article on this topic?

The biggest topic since Cleverly got beaten up has been his lack of opposition.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Sun 25 Aug 2013, 12:00 am

So in tennis players built up like henmen dont play federer? Lowly ranked golfers dont play the same tourneys as woods?
I think you have a point in there somewhere but terribly made.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by DynamiteChris Sun 25 Aug 2013, 12:01 am

If you think about it, most fighters first fight for a world title after around 20-25 fights, usually.

Cleverley was 22 fights, Kahn 20 fights, Lennox Lewis 25 fights for example, Hagler I think went 80-odd fights before he fought for the title

Lewis you could say had a good apprenticeship, Brit Euro & commonweath champ & cleaned up domestically, but still only 3 fights more than Clev

So not much difference in the amounts of fights, the difference is in the quality they face on the way, & promoters picking fights instead of fighting genuine fights to see who is best domestically before moving on.

Comes down to money, making the most while they're hot as to a promoter, from a financial sense a beaten fighter obviously isn't a hot prospect on the world stage if someone at domestic level has beaten them.

Khan is a perfect example of this, but would an apprenticeship have made him a better fighter or made a difference?

DynamiteChris

Back to top Go down

Post by owen10ozzy Sun 25 Aug 2013, 2:28 am

I am slightly intoxicated Truss so will reply properly to you tomorrow...

However what I will say is that whilst on the whole these alphabet title's are nonsensical the fact is that in this sport people dedicate their lives to it...literally and physical.

I agree we do not need the equivalent of 6 champions in each weight class but having 2 or 3 is not necessarily a bad thing.

From a fans perspective it looks staged and set up, and most of the time it is and we get this....however does that mean someone should miss out on an attack or a sprint. Of course not...hence this next sprint between....

owen10ozzy

http://aviewfrommyarmchair.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KC Sun 25 Aug 2013, 4:31 am

We now, potentially, have the same situation with Joshua having turned pro after only 3-4 yrs as an amateur. The pressure will be on him from the off to impress and progress at a rate probably beyond his capabilities.
I don't see why he had to turn pro so early. I've seen others giving their opinion stating that he had won Olympic gold and had nothing left to prove. He won a razor thin decision in the final and was lucky to be given the decision in his 1st round fight, so I'd say he had plenty to prove, besides HWs mature later & he's only 24 so what's the rush?
Hopefully Hearn will manage his pro career better than Price's has been so far.
Of course another reason for over-protection/under-development of fighters is the protection of the "0", perhaps if the emphasis could be shifted it may improve matters?

KC

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sun 25 Aug 2013, 8:43 am

jimdig wrote:So in tennis players built up like henmen dont play federer? Lowly ranked golfers dont play the same tourneys as woods?
I think you have a point in there somewhere but terribly made.
yes, and barcelona could play scunthorpe.
your point has no value when associated with boxing.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 25 Aug 2013, 7:24 pm

All good interesting posts save the one muppet.....who is no doubt bemoaning the lack of Boxnation and Frampton articles on here..

But he has nothing to say anyway so it's no loss

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:26 pm

Please can we stop the personal insults.

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:28 pm

You've dug up a thread...........two weeks since the last opinion...probably from the 2nd page..

Feel free to contribute more often..

But what a thread

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:47 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:29 pm

As I keep telling them Hero they shouldnt play so rough...somebody is gonna end up crying warning

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:31 pm

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:24 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:37 pm

Must say It's one of my better articles...........

Seem to be having a lot of my old stuff chucked at me these days.......

Maybe a "Truss archive" is in order.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:38 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Must say It's one of my better articles...........

Seem to be having a lot of my old stuff chucked at me these days.......

Maybe a "Truss archive" is in order.........
How deep do we get to bury it?

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:40 pm

How deep is your love......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:45 pm

Cast a Shadow wrote:Nicely done Truss - pretty much spot on.

In another era, Clev would have had to go down the British/Commonwealth/European route which would have provided the steady increase in opposition quality needed before getting a crack at world level.

The sad thing is that he did go down that route. What the problem was is he was fighting inferior opponents as a World Champion then he was coming up. He got fed bums, thought all he had to do was turn up to win fights, he believed in his own hype and folded when his first proper challenge he had since Bellew. If he had continued his progress and fought the likes of Shuminov, Cloud, Campilo etc. I dont think he would have been mauled like he was against Kovalev.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:52 pm

cleverly a victim of his promoter taking advantage of the times. I think warren was always aware of cleverlys limitations. warren protects all his investments but not usually to the same extent he did with cleverly. warren loves a title to sell, and he managed to use his relationship with the wbo to secure one for clev. but the fact that he had so little trust in cleverly meant he never even allowed cleverly to grow into a champion. but I think frank sold him as a champion to half decent crowds and for a decent wage as long as he could. cleverly is possibly the type of guy who has made advantage of the times. being a world champion earning decent money, before he ever earned the right to be such

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:53 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Maybe a "Truss archive" is in order.........
"Recycle Bin" more like...
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:54 pm

Warren doesn't trust anybody Lance.......You think Hatton fights Kosta if Warren has anything to do about it..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:56 pm

Union Cane wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Maybe a "Truss archive" is in order.........
"Recycle Bin" more like...
No chance of a top 10 list from you kid...

Ten lines is your monthly quota !!!Cool Wink 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:57 pm

Could it not just be that Cleverley isn't very good

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Wed 11 Sep 2013, 2:58 pm

It's a route that worked for Calzaghe; Warren was trying to repeat the trick.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:16 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Warren doesn't trust anybody Lance.......You think Hatton fights Kosta if Warren has anything to do about it..
I do actually truss. If it's a risk it will be a calculated risk... ageing inactive champion on home soil. If he wins, its a great win, if he loses... 'too much too soon, lost to an atg, etc'. Easier to come back from a defeat to tszyu, than to a vyvian harris for example. It was very timely and very good matchmaking.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hero Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:16 pm

Apologies, I was just checking through Reports and no-one had actioned it so I didn’t see the date against it, carry on as normal (without the personal insults though!)

Hero
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:19 pm

Wonder who reported this minor infraction ???.........

Whoever it is wants to read the Mayweather number 1 thread..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Wed 11 Sep 2013, 3:22 pm

If he had been around in the 70s or 80s he probably wouldn't have been a 'world champion' so probably wouldn't have earned as much money.

It's also possible that his career could have followed almost exactly the same path. He may even have met Kovalov at exactly the same time in his career in some sort of world title eliminator. The result would have been exactly the same.

So it's probable that, if the IBF and WBO didn't exist, that he would have had exactly the same career and probably would have been paid less to get just as far. With the WBO title he has earned a fairly decent living, got more exposure, and been able to call himself a 'World Champion'. I don't really see him as being any sort of victim.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 8:50 pm

You say If.............Fact is you learn from good fighters...........You don't learn anything from stiffs....

He wasn't given the chance to develop..

You could be right....could be wrong........That's the problem........

My opinion is he wasn't allowed to grow..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 11 Sep 2013, 8:52 pm

I thought this is what Trussman meant?

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/boxing/article3846042.ece

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 8:55 pm

How did Wales get on last night ??...Mate.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 11 Sep 2013, 8:57 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:How did Wales get on last night ??...Mate.
Lost 3-0 as expected. Im sure you knew that though

COLEMAN OUT. COLEMAN OUT. COLEMAN OUT

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 8:58 pm

David Copperfield couldn't get a result out of that team Mate...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Wed 11 Sep 2013, 9:01 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:David Copperfield couldn't get a result out of that team Mate...
Il think youl find pal we were doing quite well under Gary Speed and Raymond Verheijen until what happened. Not saying we would have qualified but certainly would have done better than Coleman and his staff. Such is life

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 9:05 pm

Speed killed himself...and watching Wales play..I can't say I blame him !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu 12 Sep 2013, 1:07 pm

Probably the most tasteless comment you have ever made Truss

Classy. Real classy...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 Sep 2013, 1:15 pm

May have to keep that one for the next time the great oaf starts bleating about what a great guy he is. Not often that I agree with STEFFAN but the fat lad has just proved himself to be a prize twunt here.

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Thu 12 Sep 2013, 3:31 pm

I'm not sure how much of a victim he was.

Fans want legacies and boxers want wages.

As a champion he would have probably done okay financially (less so than if Frank was still on Sky) and has had a decent career for a young lad with only one loss on his record.

Still plenty of time to come back.

Feel this is more just another case of Frank protecting his investments as he has done throughout his career.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down