The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interesting words from Mr Ward.

+13
School Project
The Terror of Tylorstown
JabMachineMK2
Mr Bounce
John Bloody Wayne
AlexHuckerby
Strongback
thebawwse
mobilemaster8
milkyboy
TopHat24/7
TRUSSMAN66
ONETWOFOREVER
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Interesting words from Mr Ward. - Page 2 Empty Interesting words from Mr Ward.

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 02 Sep 2013, 7:06 am

First topic message reminder :

Andre Ward speaks out on...

GGG

GGG not wanting to face him right now....

Wants to see GGG v Kid Chocolate

Martinez still number 1 in middleweight division....

Wants to return 28 September.....

Contract squabbles with Dan Goosman....

Facing Chavez jnr makes sense....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG7AJKZaBbA

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Interesting words from Mr Ward. - Page 2 Empty Re: Interesting words from Mr Ward.

Post by JabMachineMK2 Mon 02 Sep 2013, 3:16 pm

I hate the term Paper Champion being taken out of context.

The very definition is a boxer who won his title by default - Nathan Cleverly is a good example. He didn't have the fight for the title, as Braemer was sent to prison (stripped of the title) and pulled out of their subsequent bout (for vacant title) because of an eye injury. Cleverly won the title out of the ring. Champion ON PAPER.

Froch was beaten by the guy in the division sure, but he then went and beat an undefeated champion in the ring, taking his belt the right way and by default is a champion. A legitimate one. Not the best in the world by any stretch, but a World Champion.

This is just Truss with his usual hyperbole diarrhea making a big fuss about nothing.

Ward is a great boxer, a #2 for sure but is dull and even if he fought top level opposition it wouldn't make as much money as Froch vs Groves. Its all about marketing.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Interesting words from Mr Ward. - Page 2 Empty Re: Interesting words from Mr Ward.

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 02 Sep 2013, 3:30 pm

What does everyone think of Wards desire to see GGG v Kid chocolate?

that would be an interesting fight imo.

There is a prevailing feeling that for all of GGG'S good work up to now, he has not faced a REAL opponant. What do you guys think?

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 02 Sep 2013, 3:35 pm

Yeh, would like to see that bout too.

Also, did you see Kid Chocolate's manager (or maybe promoter) talking about the Hatton Promotions CEO?

Very very disparaging, said Hatton was a great guy but the CEO useless. They had a Murray fight, in England (!!), tee'd up and the CEO screwed it all up.

Murray-KC would have been really interesting. Back Murray to take it, then a Barker-Murray all Brit unification showdown.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Mon 02 Sep 2013, 3:35 pm

Nobody wants to face Ward because they can make more money elsewhere, the one man who does want to face him is apparently not a viable option because he's been beaten by him already. Aside from the middleweights stepping up or Ward stepping up there really is only Froch at 168lbs for him. I'd be fairly confident in saying that Froch made more money facing Bute and Kessler than he did Ward.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 02 Sep 2013, 3:39 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:Yeh, would like to see that bout too.

Also, did you see Kid Chocolate's manager (or maybe promoter) talking about the Hatton Promotions CEO?

Very very disparaging, said Hatton was a great guy but the CEO useless.  They had a Murray fight, in England (!!), tee'd up and the CEO screwed it all up.

Murray-KC would have been really interesting.  Back Murray to take it, then a Barker-Murray all Brit unification showdown.
Really don't see Murray beating KC.

Murray is very 1 dimensional, I see KC dancing rings round him all night and I do like Murray.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 02 Sep 2013, 3:50 pm

His one dimension was basically good enough to beat the divisional #1 in his own backyard though.

If KC is that good he should be fighting Martinez.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 02 Sep 2013, 4:00 pm

Quillin v GGG would be awesome while it lasted.

Do you really see Chocolate as a dancer? Against N'dam he looked like his legs weren't great and N'Dam really outmaneuvered him. Quillin just out powered the guy.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Mon 02 Sep 2013, 4:13 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Quillin v GGG would be awesome while it lasted.

Do you really see Chocolate as a dancer? Against N'dam he looked like his legs weren't great and N'Dam really outmaneuvered him. Quillin just out powered the guy.
Lets not forget how big that fight was for N;Dam having never fought in America before he was trying to make a name for himself pure desire.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 02 Sep 2013, 4:14 pm

And he showed all that desire and some. I think he got up six times? I lost count.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Mon 02 Sep 2013, 4:18 pm

Aside from the six knockdowns he was in control for large parts of the fight, Quillins power got him out of jail that night.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 02 Sep 2013, 4:48 pm

Ward can shoot his mouth off as much as he wants. The fact is:

1. He's not fought for a year, stripped of his WBC title (because he couldn't prove his shoulder injury or provide an estimated date of return).

2. Never fights outside Oakland (bar the time he "travelled" to Atlantic city).

3. Is "Managed" by James Prince... the same guy who couldn't get Mayweather a decent payday through Arum.

4. His contract with Goossen is still active, yet they won't communicate.

In turn, he has: No belt, no willing to travel, no Management and no TV deal. Say's about everything you need to know about why people don't want to fight him.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 02 Sep 2013, 6:24 pm

and he's the number 2 fighter in the World and the best supermiddle in the world...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Mon 02 Sep 2013, 6:26 pm

Doesn't mean a lot when he doesn't sell Truss.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 02 Sep 2013, 6:28 pm

It means a lot If you want be the best...

Some of us aim high...........Ghosty did when he was on here..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Mon 02 Sep 2013, 6:40 pm

Boxing is a money business, why bother taking a harder fight when you can make more money with a more winnable fight?

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Mon 02 Sep 2013, 8:12 pm

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:Aside from the six knockdowns he was in control for large parts of the fight, Quillins power got him out of jail that night.
That's what I meant with regards to him being outmaneuvered. His footwork needs sharpening up if he's to compete with Golovkin.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 02 Sep 2013, 9:54 pm

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:Boxing is a money business, why bother taking a harder fight when you can make more money with a more winnable fight?
That's loser talk....Greats want to beat greats.................Leonard didn't need to fight Hearns or Hagler.....Duran didn't have to fight fBenitez...

All this Boxing is a business is for un-ambitious losers....Mayweather could make $10 million for Petersen ....

Guys like Hatton who stepped up were winners....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Tue 03 Sep 2013, 8:09 am

Ain't no point being the best at the weight if you can't get a fight. Just sayin'...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 03 Sep 2013, 10:18 am

Who cares about Ward anyway. He's full as dish water outside the ring and even worse inside.

As the old saying goes, 'if he was fighting in my garden I'd shut the drapes'

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by bhb001 Tue 03 Sep 2013, 12:16 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:Boxing is a money business, why bother taking a harder fight when you can make more money with a more winnable fight?
That's loser talk....Greats want to beat greats.................Leonard didn't need to fight Hearns or Hagler.....Duran didn't have to fight fBenitez...

All this Boxing is a business is for un-ambitious losers....Mayweather could make $10 million for Petersen ....

Guys like Hatton who stepped up were winners....

Strongback wrote:
Wilder has to step up at some time.

He can't keep fighting the likes of "No guns" Audley.
Why does he have to step up...........Wait the Klits out and fight for million dollar purses..

I would with his skill level..by TRUSSMAN66 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:01 am

Therefore Wilder is a loser according to Truss.

bhb001

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 03 Sep 2013, 1:02 pm

Ward bores me inside and outside the ring. Not interested in any of his fights and never tune in, only one was against Froch and that's because I'm English.

Apart from that, im not bothered.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 03 Sep 2013, 1:15 pm

It's a sorry state of affairs when we become more interested in a fighters persona than the ability in the ring, I guess it's a modern thing with all the nonsense of twitter & Facebook ect..

I find Ward pretty charming, level headed and someone I'd enjoy listening to his opinion I guess I'm in the minority, much prefer this than some twonk shouting hard work dedication every 5 mins or someone brushing their hair.

Is Ward such a dull fighter ? Surely Mayweather is then, seems to get a hard time Andre and the only fault I can find is the lack of activity.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 03 Sep 2013, 1:20 pm

Thing is Rodders, Ward is more Bhop-esque in his style in that he spoils and fights on the inside, his jab is nondescript in that it is effective but not the piston that you'd expect of a top level fighter.

Mayweather is better in defending in that he doesn't get hit because of masterful reflexes, footwork, guard and he doesn't spoil - at all. I've never seen him plant his forehead into someones shoulder as they throw at him as Ward does. Ward has a tight defense that when he goes looking for the other person stays rigid and effective. He is utterly brilliant but so dull. Look at Rigondeaux. Brilliant. Boring.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Sep 2013, 1:21 pm

I'm with Rodders on this one. The guy can't attract flies but it doesn't make him a bad fighter and cetainly doesn't make him a bad person. History is littered with them and I suppose the only person pleased that we're giving Ward stick for being technically excellent but dull is Winky Wright.

Ward is relatively down to earth, extremely articulate and a breath of fresh air in these days of brashness masquerading and talent. No, he's never going to set the pulse racing and cause mass hysteria wherever he goes but his talent deserves a wider audience and it's a shame he's unlikely to get his just reward.

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 03 Sep 2013, 1:25 pm

Rodney wrote:It's a sorry state of affairs when we become more interested in a fighters persona than the ability in the ring, I guess it's a modern thing with all the nonsense of twitter & Facebook ect..

I find Ward pretty charming, level headed and someone I'd enjoy listening to his opinion I guess I'm in the minority, much prefer this than some twonk shouting hard work dedication every 5 mins or someone brushing their hair.

Is Ward such a dull fighter ? Surely Mayweather is then, seems to get a hard time Andre and the only fault I can find is the lack of activity.

Cheers Rodders
Agree Rodders

Don't understand why people hate on Ward. He has 1 of the best resumes in boxing at the moment and his skills are never in question. Quite guy but articulate should be a poster boy but as you rightly suggest today's world are only interested in clown like figures. I do think his SOG tag is a little pretentious but its only a small itch he has so much more to offer as a fighter. Its a shame these athletes have to resort to shameless tactics just to keep themselves in the eye of the ever increasingly distracted public but thats the world we live in you have to keep up somehow.

Anyone see Carl Froch making an ass of himself on that show Stepping out? more like Coming out I wonder who's idea that was???? the misses? lol

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Sep 2013, 1:32 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
Rodney wrote:It's a sorry state of affairs when we become more interested in a fighters persona than the ability in the ring, I guess it's a modern thing with all the nonsense of twitter & Facebook ect..

Cheers Rodders
Agree Rodders

Don't understand why people hate on Ward. He has 1 of the best resumes in boxing at the moment and his skills are never in question. Quite guy but articulate should be a poster boy but as you rightly suggest today's world are only interested in clown like figures. I do think his SOG tag is a little pretentious but its only a small itch he has so much more to offer as a fighter. Its a shame these athletes have to resort to shameless tactics just to keep themselves in the eye of the ever increasingly distracted public but thats the world we live in you have to keep up somehow.

Anyone see Carl Froch making an ass of himself on that show Stepping out? more like Coming out I wonder who's idea that was???? the misses? lol
Certainly no less tedious than waffling on about being a Warrior even ten minutes

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Tue 03 Sep 2013, 1:32 pm

You have to think though guys, not all the fans are like us who admire Ward for his ability, they want sparkles, fancy footwork, entertainment and knockouts and thats not what you get with Ward. Thats why the average fan overlooks him and won't buy tickets.

Dave you like Ward just cos he's not a Warrior, he doesn't leave it all in the ring, go to the trenches, 2 men having a barbaric battle of wills in the trenches. Fighting, boxing, punching, trenches, Warrior, Barbarian, Vikings....battlefield, trenches.

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 03 Sep 2013, 1:37 pm

Haha Jab!

But i agree. The casual fan enjoys a tear up between to fighters ie. FROCH vs Kessler.

there is proof in the pudding with the upcoming Garcia vs Mathysse fight being tipped as the fans choice over Mayweather vs Alvarez.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Tue 03 Sep 2013, 1:38 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:You have to think though guys, not all the fans are like us who admire Ward for his ability, they want sparkles, fancy footwork, entertainment and knockouts and thats not what you get with Ward. Thats why the average fan overlooks him and won't buy tickets.

Dave you like Ward just cos he's not a Warrior, he doesn't leave it all in the ring, go to the trenches, 2 men having a barbaric battle of wills in the trenches. Fighting, boxing, punching, trenches, Warrior, Barbarian, Vikings....battlefield, trenches.
Then they are watching the wrong sport, it's a bit like those who say they like Cricket but only watch 20/20 version. Like the Winky Wright comparison Dave, very true words.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 03 Sep 2013, 1:38 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:You have to think though guys, not all the fans are like us who admire Ward for his ability, they want sparkles, fancy footwork, entertainment and knockouts and thats not what you get with Ward. Thats why the average fan overlooks him and won't buy tickets.

hahaha,

Funny.

Re. Ward. It is interesting that he is talking out a lot more these days. This is undoubtedly related to his lack of fights of late. I hear Rodriguez is pricing himself out of a battle (he is getting $800k but wants more) so Ward still doesn't have an opponent. I hope Ward doesn't fight GGG just because GGG is not a 168 pounder. Ward is a big 168 pounder and I think that this weight advantage would discount some key advantages for GGG (namely his power). Hope to see Ward in the ring soon, more than anything else. A fine talent.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Tue 03 Sep 2013, 1:52 pm

Laugh Laugh Laugh 

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2