The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sky Sports' New Boxing Season Announced

+8
leedizzle1986
Rowley
The Terror of Tylorstown
mobilemaster8
BoxingFan88
AlexHuckerby
School Project
KingMonkey
12 posters

Go down

Sky Sports' New Boxing Season Announced Empty Sky Sports' New Boxing Season Announced

Post by KingMonkey Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:08 pm

I know Haye - Fury is PPV but I can forgive them considering this schedule. The obvious omission is Floyd - Canelo but there are some excellent fights here that I didn't expect to see.

http://www1.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/8902948/sky-sports-have-added-several-international-dates-to-the-autumn-schedule

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Sky Sports' New Boxing Season Announced Empty Re: Sky Sports' New Boxing Season Announced

Post by School Project Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:35 pm

Any chance you can post a list for those in work?

School Project

Back to top Go down

Sky Sports' New Boxing Season Announced Empty Re: Sky Sports' New Boxing Season Announced

Post by School Project Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:37 pm

Actually I got it working:

SEPTEMBER 7
Ricky Burns defends his WBO light weight title against America-based Mexican Raymundo Beltran. Paul Appleby, Scott Cardle and Callum Smith feature on the undercard along with several up-and-coming prospects from north of the border.

SEPTEMBER 21
Popular Liverpudlian Derry Mathews returns to his home city to defend his Commonwealth lightweight title against Curtis Woodhouse. Another Commonwealth belt will be on the line when Rocky Fielding takes on Mohammed Akrong for the vacant super-middleweight strap. Liam Smith and Erick Ochieng clash for the vacant British light-middleweight title.

SEPTEMBER 28
A monster Sky Box Office show featuring the heavyweight clash between David Haye and Tyson Fury. Chief support will see Scott Quigg face Yoandris Salinas for the vacant WBA super-bantamweight belt. We then cross the pond for Adonis Stevenson v Tavoris Cloud for the WBC light-heavyweight title in Montreal, Canada.

OCTOBER 5
Olympic gold medallist Anthony Joshua will make his long-awaited debut at London's O2 Arena as he looks to make a successful transition from amateur to professional. A packed card is headed by Lee Selby's attempt to win the Lonsdale Belt outright when he defends his British and Commonwealth titles against Ryan Walsh. There's also a mouth-watering lightweight clash between Kevin Mitchell and Gary Sykes while welterweight prospects Larry Ekundayo and Glenn Foot are also on collision course. The action then moves to Florida where three-weight champion Miguel Cotto returns against Devlin Rodriguez.

OCTOBER 13
Las Vegas is the destination as WBO welterweight champion Timothy Bradley takes on four-weight champ Juan Manuel Marquez while Orlando Cruz and Orlando Salido scrap for the vacant WBO featherweight title.

OCTOBER 20
Do not the potential fight of the year clash between WBO light-welterweight champion Mike Alvarado and Ruslan Provodnikov in Denver.

OCTOBER 26
The Motorpoint Arena in Sheffield will be packed to the rafters as Kell Brook puts his unbeaten record on the line against Ricky Hatton's conqueror Vyashaslev Senchenko. Anthony Joshua will be out again for the second time in a month while a host of Matchroom prospects will be on show, including exciting super-flyweight Kal Yafai.

NOVEMBER 23
Carl Froch defends his IBF and WBA super-middleweight titles against the unbeaten Londoner George Groves in Manchester, reviving memories of Benn v Eubank all those years ago.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:42 pm

Fair play, there's more boxing from Sky which I can't complain about. But getting excited over Derry Matthews??? He's like a stubborn turd who refuses to be flushed away.

As for International Fights, 2 Top Rank cards and Stevenson vs. Cloud is a slight improvement I guess.

Haye v Fury with Quigg for the WBA belt as PPV is still disgusting though, considering the Mayweather/Alvarez card (Matthysse v Garcia as an undercard is like having your main present for Christmas early!).

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:01 pm

You have to bear in mind the fact that Americans pay $70 for there PPV's, we pay £14.95 for ours...

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:13 pm

£14.95 in top of the £30 a month subscription for Sky Sports. If Sky put a (stacked) card on like the Mayweather fight, it'd be worth £40.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:55 pm

Nice to see them picking up the fights over the pond.

Really glad they got the Marquez fight, can't wait for that one!

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:25 am

Matthews - Woodhouse should be an excellent fight. Both honest, hard working pros who usually make for decent fights so I'm not going to complain even if they are both 'limited' to a degree.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:34 am

"The Motorpoint Arena in Sheffield will be packed to the rafters as Kell Brook puts his unbeaten record on the line against Ricky Hatton's conqueror Vyashaslev Senchenko"

What a crock of Poopie. Hyping Senchenko as Ricky Hattons conqueror?! The guy lost to Pauli Malignaggi! Not only that, but in 08-09, Senchenko would have been hammered by Ricky all over the place.

same old Poopie with these promotions.

Next up will have Anthony Joshua fighting Hasin Rhaman. The guy that conquered Lennox Lewis.

Do me a favour.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:58 am

I doubt very much Hatton would be hammering Senchenko at any point in his career, he just couldn't hack it up at welterweight where he didn't have a huge size advantage.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:02 am

What do you expect them to say? Honestly.

'Kell takes on a marginally better level of opponent than Carson Jones as we look to bring his career on toward a world title fight'

Be realistic. This is a decent level of opponent for him and they want to sell tickets. If you want to watch it then watch it, if you don't then don't. But understand propaganda for what it is.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:07 am

Well said King Monkey. Really don’t understand all this nonsense. Sky’s job is to sell subscriptions and advertising during their programmes. Hearn’s is to sell tickets and or/PPV’s. Do people really expect either party to sell a fight like Froch Groves with the tag line – Froch vs Groves – A Year too Soon. Surely as reasonably committed fans we follow the sport closely enough to make our own minds up irrespective of what Sky tell us.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by leedizzle1986 Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:59 am

Very good line up to be honest and very pleased with the overseas fights especially Bradley vs Marquez.

Suprised no one has mentioned this but surely this is a massive nail in the coffin for Boxnation? It looked a little better for old Frank when he announced his Union with Maloney, Mcguigan and Hatton. However with Price recently losing and Martin Murray seeming uhappier with Hatton by the week, That only leaves Frampton. Warren has Chisora, Gavin and Saunders and thats about it these days.

I actually signed up to Boxnation for the Mayweather fight yesterday. If you use Tvoffercode1 you get it for £10 with no registration fee which is excellent value. Also includes Huck vs Arslan and the Warren card from the Copper Box. However after that the schedule is looking very bare and I will only be subscribing for the month as i also have Sky.

The Mayweather fight seems to be keeping it going at the moment but lets be honest... if Sky are going to pick up American bills they could easily get the futurd Floyd fights.

I am not massively opposed to boxnation like some. Sure its annoying having to pay out another £10 when I already have Sky but £10 in 2013 is hardly life changing. I have to admit I do prefer watching fights on Sky. The punditry is hit and miss at best.. but the production value is top notch, something Boxnation will never be able to match with its budget.

Is the demise of Frank and Boxnation imminent?

leedizzle1986

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:01 am

There is selling and then there is ridiculous.

If i sold someone a Nokia C2 and said its as good as an iphone 5 then its blatant crap.

If i was realistic and compared it to a Nokia c3 with only small differences then that's realism.

next match up will be Prescott vs Mayweather. The guy who destroyed amir khan!

Overselling is a crock of Poopie and i wont be watching it because the commentary will no doubt jump on the "conquered" side of things from the opening bell.

And Terror, if you honestly don't think a prime Hatton could beat senchenko then you must be watching a different sport.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:04 am

I didn't say he wouldn't win but it's not a forgone conclusion like you're suggesting at all, this is the same Hatton who struggled with Collazo massively and looked unconvincing against Urango. Neither of who outweighed by much if at all, he simply wasn't suited to fighting the bigger men.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:07 am

It's definitely a punch in the gut for Boxnation. And cheers for that offer code!  I'll be using that!!

As for comparing Nokias with iphones..... Nah, you've lost me.  Senchenko isn't an obvious name to the casual fan but most know that Hatton came back and lost.  Now they know it was to 'this guy' and he's fighting Brook on tv.  Might tune in.....  I don't see the issue.
I certainly don't think they'll be making him out to be anything other than a solid opponent for Brook and one that Kell will be expected to beat.

Sky are trying to do a decent job here. The Marquez - Bradley fight is a real coup and Alvarado - Provodnikov (sic) could be superb too. Credit where its due I say.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:14 am

Rowley wrote:Well said King Monkey. Really don’t understand all this nonsense. Sky’s job is to sell subscriptions and advertising during their programmes. Hearn’s is to sell tickets and or/PPV’s. Do people really expect either party to sell a fight like Froch Groves with the tag line – Froch vs Groves – A Year too Soon. Surely as reasonably committed fans we follow the sport closely enough to make our own minds up irrespective of what Sky tell us.
Could not agree more. It seems to be a thing for some people that they prefer moaning about the promoter or tv channel to enjoying/talking about the actual fight. Had to call someone out on this the other day for bashing Hearn instead of showing any form of positivity about the Froch-Groves fight. Nonsense.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:10 am

Im not moaning about the promoter or the show, let alone the fight. Im simply moaning about how average opponents get overhyped overnight due to the fact they are fighting one of "our boys".

But the truth is that Kell Brook is a complete waste of talent, has pulled out of title fights through "injury" and is now fighting a guy who was beaten by Malignaggi........in fact he was stopped by him.

Im not tuning in to watch someone who calls himself "special K" beat a guy who is average at the very best. I mean Kell struggled with Carson Jones BIG TIME in the first fight and the stoppage in the second was very weak IMO. This is coming from a guy who has said he would obliterate Khan?

Ahhh well what do I know, Kell Brook is fighting a former "World Champion" who has beaten the very best at his level and conquered Hatton. Must be mint then.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:15 am

Gary Sykes isn't fighting Kevin Mitchell. 100%.

He's fighting Stephen Smith in November for the British super featherweight title.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:20 am

You don't have the most balanced of opinions do you Mobile, Malignaggi didn't stop Senchenko in the conventional did as you seem to alude to, it was a cuts stoppage. I also think Brook would obliterate Khan, as would most Welterweights with a punch and decent accuracy.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:29 am

Indeed Terror Malignaggi did not stop Senchenko via a brutal Knockout, but he beat him comprehensively in his own back yard with repeated punches to the grid. He aint the hardest puncher, but still hit him enough times to mark his face that badly.

Brook couldn't obliterate an oatcake let alone Khan who has fought at 50 levels above anything close to Brook.

Soon as someone throws fast combinations towards Brook, he has no idea whats going on, check Carson Jones 1 out for that.

Khan has some on the quickest hands in boxing and throws multiple combinations. At Welter his chin may hold up a "little" better but not by much, but even still, Brook is not on that level, and due to his lack of motivation I don't think we will see him there.

But saying that, he is fighting Senchenko so that's a massive step up apparently.........

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:41 am

When Khan is getting rocked and put down by old lightweights like Diaz then I personally don't give him a chance against Brook. Fighting at that level doesn't matter much when you know all it takes is one solid shot and the fight is yours, Khan won't be able to avoid him for 12 rounds and lacks the power to hurt or stop him.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:43 am

Have to be honest here Mobile, you don't seem to be incredibly balanced on this one.

I would actually say that going into the fight Senchenko didn't appear very up for the fight with Malignaggi, and I actually think that might have affected the lackluster performance we saw from Senchenko that night, as he appeared a different animal qagainst Hatton entirely. Personally I think h's a pretty good fighter and a fighter who is good to beat when you're probably going to fight for a world title in the fight afterwards. Pretty sure Brook is one of the best fighters in the country so I imagine the guy could just about fight an oatcake.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:51 am

I disagree Alex unfortunately.

Senchenko is a gatekeeper type fighter. How can you go from scraping past Carson Jones, to a fight with Alexander, to Jones at catchweight, to then fighting Senchenko (Hattons conqueror - not Mayweather or Pacquiao).

How could he not be up or it against Paulie? It was a good name, a title fight, his backyard etc.

1 - Froch
2 - Khan
3 - Haye
4 - Burns
5 - Frampton

I don't think Brook is any good I really don't. Hope he proves me wrong being a Brit, but with his lack of dedication to the sport and his inability to cope with combinations is alarmingly concerning such is Khans chin.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:24 pm

We're arguing for the sake of arguing here aren't we?  Surely this is a step in the right direction for Brook. Senchenko is a solid fighter, the motorpoint will be sold out and it should be a good enough fight.

What's the issue? The fact that Senchenko is being marketed as Hatton's conqueror? Well he is. Considering the target audience how on Earth would you try and promote it?

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:33 pm

I would have sold it as it is. Senchenko, former Welterweight World Champion, only one defeat! Coming to the Motorpoint arena to take on our very own special K. Senchenko has been in with some decent opposition so this should be a step up for broom and should he win will throw him into world level once again.

That's it. Why mention him battering a wayyyyyyy past it Hatton? Just to sell more fans off his name?

Also, with you saying its a step up, its ALWAYS been a step up with Kell. He was about to fight Devon Alexander.....that fell through so the next best things are Carson Jones and Senchenko? How cab you go from a world title fight to that?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:34 pm

Think the thing to bear in mind with Brook is he probably still holds his ranking and status as mandatory for Alexander. Given this is the case all he needs now are keep busy tick over type fights. Genuinely don't think as such Senchenko is too shabby. Think people are being naive if they think he is going to take on anyone more risky and potentially blow his title fight out of the water.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:36 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:
That's it. Why mention him battering a wayyyyyyy past it Hatton? Just to sell more fans off his name?

Because Sky try to sell their shows to casual fans as well as the hardcore and if they say Senchenko many of the former may say who, however if they say that geezer who beat Hatton in his comeback it will trigger name recognition and perhaps boost viewing figures.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:41 pm

Well i think its disrespectful to Hatton if im honest Rowley.

Using someone's name to try and make your opponent look half decent?

That's all this is, and when Brook steam rolls him, everyone will be calling him the messiah.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:43 pm

Am fairly sure it is a slight the multimillionaire Hatton will be able to get over.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:46 pm

[quote="mobilemaster8"]

quote]

Yep. Add a bit of familiarity to the foreign name also. It's 'that bloke'. It adds some depth, some background etc. Now the casual knows who Brook is fighting.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:46 pm

Maybe so, but even still, its low.

Next up:

Scott Quigg has signed to fight Rustico Torrecampo on Oct 26th.
Rustico, the man who conquered Pacquiao, will prove a tough test for Quigg as he hopes to reach World Level status. Having knocked out 8 of his 15 wins (Pacquiao being one of them) he has a good knockout ratio to cause Quigg problems on his home turf.

Tune in October 26th...............

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:49 pm

Why is marketing the lad as hatton's conquerer poor form

I'm sure even Hatton won't claim Sky are misleading anyone as he was really winning the fight by a country mile before a combination of bad weather and good old fashioned cheating forced the ref to stop the fight in Senchenko's favour.

Tommy Morrison beat (a version of) George Foreman. People don't read too much into that do they?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:52 pm

A country mile Dave? Take it you are applying the Woodhall approach to scoring the fight.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:53 pm

I did, Dave.

As with Alvarez beating Mosley
As with Pacquiao beating Margarito
As with Murray beating Martinez (in my eyes)

And following on, its like Murray fighting GGG and Murray being labelled the guy who beat "The Man" of the division, when it was clearly down to how poor Martinez was as opposed to how great Murray was.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:00 pm

Mobile, mate, you just need to let one or two things go. This is boxing. Hype, marketing etc. At one stage I almost let myself believe Audley could do a job on Haye such was the level of hype before that one. Deep down I knew he couldn't but I bought the fcuking fight....

It is what it is; showbiz.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:05 pm

Sorry to hear you brought the fight mate because I did the same!! (well me brother did not me).

Ill let it go for now King........just wanted to stress my views on the pathetic overselling that is, in my eyes, killing boxing today for the "real fans" not the "casual".

Moving on.........

Kell Brook EKO

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:11 pm

Not bought a fight since. And I doubt I'll buy this one either.

'The One' being an exception. A tenner for that an I'll feel like I'm getting one over on Warren!

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:14 pm

Rowley wrote:A country mile Dave? Take it you are applying the Woodhall approach to scoring the fight.
No, I'm saying that even Hatton wouldn't claim he was winning the fight by a country mile (a la Manny). Even Hatton will admit that he was beaten by Senchenko fair and square (thus conquered) whereas there was a fair amount of guff from Ricky about how well he was doing against PacMan.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:18 pm

Aah re-read it now, makes sense. Still a bit prickly about suggestions Ricky was doing OK in that one on the back of Woodhall's commentary. So bad even TSMR was slagging him off.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:24 pm

I didn't even watch it all. Think I caught rounds four and five and had to switch off my laptop and Hatton's punching was so wild there was a danger on his gloves coming out of the screen.

I knew it was going to end badly when I saw that he wasn't wearing those big shorts

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:57 pm

I'm alone in a room with a 5 litre jug of glue.

£ £
--

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:09 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:"The Motorpoint Arena in Sheffield will be packed to the rafters as Kell Brook puts his unbeaten record on the line against Ricky Hatton's conqueror Vyashaslev Senchenko"

What a crock of Poopie. Hyping Senchenko as Ricky Hattons conqueror?! The guy lost to Pauli Malignaggi! Not only that, but in 08-09, Senchenko would have been hammered by Ricky all over the place.

same old Poopie with these promotions.

Next up will have Anthony Joshua fighting Hasin Rhaman. The guy that conquered Lennox Lewis.

Do me a favour.
But Senchenko was Ricky's conqueror?

Most of the people they are trying to attract are fans of Hatton (the casuals as the boxing fans will watch anyway) and this way they will know who he is. Would be very surprised if anyone actually thought of him as a great fighter from that comment and to me it is just to remind people that they have seen him before.

I get your point but feel you are reading to much into it and are thinking of it as a slight on Hatton when it is just to remind people.

For me I would have seen his name and recognised it but not tied it back to where from so the connection helped me.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down