The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan v Alexander: Is Khan getting sparked again?

+11
PPVxHOTTY
milkyboy
The Terror of Tylorstown
Nico the gman
John Bloody Wayne
hogey
Rowley
KingMonkey
mobilemaster8
OasisBFC
Seanusarrilius
15 posters

Go down

Khan v Alexander: Is Khan getting sparked again? Empty Khan v Alexander: Is Khan getting sparked again?

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 03 Sep 2013, 2:12 pm

I think this fight happens next, and I think Amir gets sparked again. Here is why:

Khan has been knocked down a bazillion times, including during his last fight against a blown up and shot fighter.
Khan looks shakier under the guidance of Morpheus than he did under Frederick.
Khan is likely to be stepping up to a weight Alexander has fought at for a while.
Despite his lack of KO power, Alexander is busy and not shot.
Khan's prime lasted about three fights and is over.

For me Alexander wins this. I would need to see a 50% increase in performance from Khan's last fight to see him as victorious in this one.

And for the record, I don't rate Alexander that highly.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Khan v Alexander: Is Khan getting sparked again? Empty Re: Khan v Alexander: Is Khan getting sparked again?

Post by OasisBFC Tue 03 Sep 2013, 2:15 pm

i'd agree khan needs to step up and show these improvements he's supposed to have made.
that said, if he wins, he's right back on track and not far off top 10 p4p.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Khan v Alexander: Is Khan getting sparked again? Empty Re: Khan v Alexander: Is Khan getting sparked again?

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 03 Sep 2013, 2:18 pm

Not far off the top ten p4p is a bit far fetched mate.

Id stick him around 15 if he wins. Successful defences against good names such as Guerrero, Maidana rematch, Ortiz, Carson Jones and Senchenko (haha) will push him to ten.

I think he beats Alexander based on ability. The step up in weight improves his power according to himself. He has stated he knocks people out on sparring so see what happens.

Alexander is very poor and Khan SHOULD win the fight of it happens.

If he loses then his career has to end before it turns into an audley type farce.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 03 Sep 2013, 2:22 pm

Can't see him being close to top 10 p4p if he wins. Is Devon close?

I think Devon knocks him out. As suggested, Devon is busy. He's fast, accurate and he'll be working on that left hook. Khan won't be able to avoid it all night and when it lands Devon won't mess about. LKO.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 03 Sep 2013, 2:22 pm

I agree that a Khan who uses his talents beats Alexander, but that said, when was the last time Khan performed to his ability? The last fight he had he looked awful. Truly. How do you go from that to beating someone whois a world class operator like Alexander?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Sep 2013, 2:27 pm

Khan's too busy piddling about on Celebrity Juice rather than getting grips with the job in hand. I think he's got one eye out the door already. I think he's eyeing a big payday against Floyd and retirement then a foray into promotions. However, his trophy fiancee and other ventures are too much of a distraction for him to get back to where he thinks he deserves to be.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 03 Sep 2013, 2:33 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Khan's too busy piddling about on Celebrity Juice rather than getting grips with the job in hand. I think he's got one eye out the door already. I think he's eyeing a big payday against Floyd and retirement then a foray into promotions. However, his trophy fiancee and other ventures are too much of a distraction for him to get back to where he thinks he deserves to be.
Do you think he beats Alexander?

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Sep 2013, 2:40 pm

Not unless he fights out of his skin or Alexander has a stinker. To be honest, whoever wins, I can't see the American public doing much more than scratching their collective nuts with indifference. Alexander's stunk the place out far too often for them to care and I think Khan's demonstrated with those losses that he shouldn't really be considered a serious threat to the likes of Mayweather

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 03 Sep 2013, 2:41 pm

Hard to know how to call this one. Don’t think Alexander is spectacularly good but he is solid enough all round to be decent enough. Think in Khan’s favour in this is Alexander is not a nuclear, take a guy out with one shot kind of puncher and so he does not have Khan’s obvious kryptonite.

The obvious flipside to that is you do not need to have scary power to have Khan on dream street. However in Khan’s defence when he is up against lesser punchers whilst he does tend to go down he tends to get back up and find a way to muddle through. Suspect he will do likewise in this one. The puzzler in this is when it happens, if it happens late and he has enough points in the bag he may sneak through. If Alexander gets to him early he may struggle because there are few fighters who take quite so long to recover as Khan.

God only knows how to call it, guess that is what makes watching Khan such fun.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 03 Sep 2013, 2:47 pm

Khan's name should never be mentioned in same sentence as Mayweather. He needs 5 top victories to earnt hat fight after his recent outings. Khan, if we are honest, is one loss away from becoming a gatekeeper. As usual, he will have all the advantages skillset wise against Alexander, but as Rowley says, it doesn't take much to put him on dream street. He is dreamier than a teenage girl at a Bieber concert. And no, I don't know that from personal experience Smile

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 03 Sep 2013, 3:00 pm

Never really understood why people get so bent out of shape over the prospect of Khan fighting Mayweather. If he beats Alexander (big if I concede) Khan will be a beltholder at a weight Floyd can still operate in so why should the fight not be made. Should say I do not give him a chance but the same was true of many a Floyd opponent such as Ortiz and nobody got so bent out of shape over him getting the shot.

Would ask folk if Floyd getting a shot at Floyd is any less ridiculous or unwarranted as the likes of Ali taking on Dunn. Not a defence that exactly sets my pulse racing but given Floyd is fighting pretty much everyones first choice of opponent next up would a relative gimme really be so unreasonable.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 03 Sep 2013, 3:04 pm

I think Khan fighting Floyd is a little ridiculous right now. Garcia pancaked him, so Garcia is ahead of him. Peterson beat him (I know it was contencious) so he is ahead of him. If Matthysse beats Garcia he is ahead of him. Marquez rematch, although pointless, is a better fight.

I just don't see how anybody who isn't British would think this is a suitable fight for Mayweather. especially since Khan is no real draw in America

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 03 Sep 2013, 3:09 pm

Most of the guys you have mentioned have no kind of form at welter just yet Sean. If Khan beats Devon he at least ticks this box. You also have to look at this from Floyd’s perspective. Irrespective of what folk may say Alvarez is as tough a fight that is out there for him now, at 36 could anyone blame him for wanting something a little less arduous next time out? If he does want such a fight can’t blame Khan for wanting to be that guy.

As I said don’t think he has a hope in hell but I will never slate a guy for showing ambition, not in light of how much grief we frequently give guys for sitting on joke titles fighting rubbish. If he can get himself a chance to fight the best fighter in the world, whether he deserves it or it at the expense of more qualified challengers good luck to him I say.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 03 Sep 2013, 3:14 pm

Rowley wrote:Most of the guys you have mentioned have no kind of form at welter just yet Sean. If Khan beats Devon he at least ticks this box. You also have to look at this from Floyd’s perspective. Irrespective of what folk may say Alvarez is as tough a fight that is out there for him now, at 36 could anyone blame him for wanting something a little less arduous next time out? If he does want such a fight can’t blame Khan for wanting to be that guy.

As I said don’t think he has a hope in hell but I will never slate a guy for showing ambition, not in light of how much grief we frequently give guys for sitting on joke titles fighting rubbish. If he can get himself a chance to fight the best fighter in the world, whether he deserves it or it at the expense of more qualified challengers good luck to him I say.
Yeah, can't argue with his ambition, but that's about it really. For me, Bradley deserves the shot at Floyd the most. He is undefeated on paper and if he gets by Marquez then it should be Bradely. But it can't be, obviously, as he fights with Top Rank.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 03 Sep 2013, 3:16 pm

Rowley wrote:Most of the guys you have mentioned have no kind of form at welter just yet Sean. If Khan beats Devon he at least ticks this box. You also have to look at this from Floyd’s perspective. Irrespective of what folk may say Alvarez is as tough a fight that is out there for him now, at 36 could anyone blame him for wanting something a little less arduous next time out? If he does want such a fight can’t blame Khan for wanting to be that guy.

Are you listening Mr Haye?

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 03 Sep 2013, 3:18 pm

The ONLY thing Khan brings to the table is a possible mega fight in the UK and that, really, is only any good if Floyd fancies ticking that box before he retires.

Other than that; Bradley, Matthysse/Garcia even Manny are ahead and more palatable.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue 03 Sep 2013, 3:18 pm

Would agree wholeheartedly Bradley is top of the pile outside of Alvarez Sean, but given Golden Boy and Arum could not resolve their differences to make the biggest fight in history am not going to waste too much energy getting all excitable about the chances of them making a fight that is probably not worth 50% of that amount.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue 03 Sep 2013, 3:58 pm

Alexander is not the worlds greatest champion by any stretch of the imagination, but he is a level above Khan and always has been. Strip away media hype and what you are really left with is Khan being a decent fringe contender who is the days before fragmented titles would never have won a belt. I think this might be the worst kind of fight for him because Alexander will outbox him and inflict a steady constant beating rather than hit him and turn the lights out quickly. Think he stops Khan in about the 9th round and then finally with no more trainers to blame Amir will scuttle off to the media for a less painful career.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 03 Sep 2013, 4:00 pm

I don't think Alexander has the skillset to outbox khan. Although he has a poor defence, his natural ability in terms of "boxing" is unquestionable.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Tue 03 Sep 2013, 4:15 pm

hogey wrote:Alexander is not the worlds greatest champion by any stretch of the imagination, but he is a level above Khan and always has been. Strip away media hype and what you are really left with is Khan being a decent fringe contender who is the days before fragmented titles would never have won a belt. I think this might be the worst kind of fight for him because Alexander will outbox him and inflict a steady constant beating rather than hit him and turn the lights out quickly. Think he stops Khan in about the 9th round and then finally with no more trainers to blame Amir will scuttle off to the media for a less painful career.
I agree that as Brits, we build Khan up more than his talent warrants. Part of being talented is being able to execute, and Khan doesn't really do that these days. Look at his last fight. Is Alexander far better than this last guy that knocked Khan over? Yes.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Tue 03 Sep 2013, 4:15 pm

Wow. That's some contradiction Mobile!

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 03 Sep 2013, 5:12 pm

I think Khan will win.

He struggled against Diaz, a tough guy who'll take one to land one and come forward the whole night. Diaz is exactly the sort of guy Khan will struggle against - front foot, tough, rugged. The guys to trouble him have always been this way. OK Prescott just blasted him more than he pressured him, but Maidana was pressure, Peterson's success was through pressure, Garcia timed him but he had to take a few without reply to do it. Although Khan got decked and shaken, I thought what he was trying to do was an improvement. The jab was more solid, the movemen smarter. It was only towards the end he banged his gloves together and tried to tear up.

Alexander will be on the back foot, not bringing pressure, not willing to take one to give one and not with much one shot power. Khan can be outboxed, but the style to beat him is to fight him. Devon don't do that.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Tue 03 Sep 2013, 5:20 pm

I think we've probably seen the best of Khan, Alexander will wear him down and stop him in about 8 or 9, we don't even know if Khan can take a punch off a welter yet.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue 03 Sep 2013, 5:43 pm

Khan is a better boxer than Alexander, someone he should outbox quite comfortably but whether he can go 12 rounds without getting hit with something big is anyones guess.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue 03 Sep 2013, 8:33 pm

Khan is no way a better boxer his defence is poor, his footwork is amateurish, he is terrible at fighting in the inside and he lacks a boxing brain. These are all massive parts that make up a top boxer just having the ability to throw fast punches does not make you a master boxer. Alexander has the edge on Khan in almost every department except power where they are well matched in mediocrity.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 03 Sep 2013, 11:31 pm

Poor old amir, he gets some stick on here!

Its s good fight on paper. Had it not been for his last two fights, I'd fancy khan in this.

I think some are underplaying Alexander, he's a very capable boxer in my view but khan has historically, as jbw says, always looked good against boxers... Or none pressure fighters. If khan is anything like the fighter he was a few years back, where he destroyed/shut out judah, malignaggi, kotelnik, I'd take him to win this. As it stands now its hard to call... Diaz is a totally different fighter to Alexander but khan was truly awful.

Hogey I wouldn't disagree with your assessment of the two as boxers but khan probably has an edge in speed, reach and volume/punch output.

As for khan mayweather, well why not If he beats Alexander. I agree others are more deserving, but plenty on here were trying to big up Guerrero a while back who'd done bo diddly except beat berto to get a shot and had two hopes of making it interesting. At least khan has the style to make it an interesting fight for a few rounds. I know nobody likes him, but give the guy a break!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Wed 04 Sep 2013, 12:06 am

Khans career is on thin ice especially when he looked like Bambi on thin ice against Julio Diaz, Im not a fan of Alexander either, I believe Thurman and Karass would beat both these guys. Even Berto would beat em. I thought Khan changing trainers may have benefited him but this was not evident in his last 2 fights. I think his 1st trainer 'Oliver Harrison' has taught him what he knows to date and only he 'Oliver' would be able to improve his skill set. Khan actually has a very good jab when he uses it but because he has this amateurish mentality when he gets hit he MUST hit back is his downfall as a few have already pointed out.

Anyway going back to this fight, I don't think Alexander has the ability to stop Khan, in his last   7 fights he's stopped Urango and Purdy, and scored decisions over Kotelnik, Bailey, Mathysse and Maidana.... So I can only assume a decision win for Alexander is his best chance. As for Khan his speed 'flurries' can overwhelm Devon and this may even boil down to who has the bigger heart, and looking at Devon's fight with Bradley, Khan gets edge on that note. Both guys will be hungry for win as this sets up a possible payday with Mayweather, so they will have cautious approach. It really is a pick-em fight its a tough one to call imo.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Wed 04 Sep 2013, 7:04 am

Khan by ud for me in this one. Never seen anything thats impressed me with Devon. There will be a few ropey moments as in most khan fights but I feel hunter has had time to make the necessary adjustments to tighten him up a little to beat devon

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Wed 04 Sep 2013, 8:55 am

I don't really understand everyone thinking Alexander is a useless boxer. From his perspective khan is the stepping stone to a may weather fight. He had a one punch KO of the year candidate against juan urango, who was if nothing else a durable guy. From khans previous performances looks to me that he is being sent in as chicken feed. Khan will start fast, but Alexander will time him. I can't see anything in terms of form to suggest khan wont get sparked.
I like khan, but he seemed to peak about the time he fought Judah. I would like to see him put in a similar performance, but that seems pretty unlikely.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Wed 04 Sep 2013, 9:10 am

Alexander for me and I think it will play out similar to the Peterson fight, I'm with Jim don't know where the facts are that Alexander is not a very able fighter. He has a better record than Khan and dealt with Maidana much more convincely than Amir.

See Khan doing what he normally does dazzling speed, but he's power isn't at a level that will keep Alexander that concerned who will begin to walk Amir down. Devon has already proven he has enough power to knock Khan out as he demonstrated against the usually iron chinned Urango. It's hard for me to envisage a Khan win and expect Alexander to win late via stoppage.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 04 Sep 2013, 9:59 am

Not sure the fact that Alexander did a better job on maidana than khan is that relevant here rodders. If we started listing fighters who handle pressure fighters better than khan this would be a lengthy thread.

Given that neither khan nor alexander are pressure fighters themselves, if you want a relevant common opponent i'd suggest kotelnik is nearer the mark... Tough night for Devon... Cake walk for amir.

Khan seems to have regressed since then though which is why this fight is interesting. Is it just a style thing with khan or is he smoked. Feels like last chance saloon for khan at top level. If he can't beat a guy who will give him room to work (albeit a very good boxer) then his flush is well and truly busted.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:04 am

Looking forward to athread about fighters done in their mid 20's and seeing Amir Khan coming in with a bullet.

Nice lad and credit to him for still taking on the top guys but I'm not convinced he has it in him. Think he's been found out and doesn't have the tools to prevent people from capitalising on his vulnerabilities.

If he wins, it's a stay of execution and no more.

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Wed 04 Sep 2013, 10:39 am

I think that one's been done Dave, but in reverse. Someone said khan was shot, someone said he can't be at 26... cue a long list of fighters who were finished in their mid 20's. Whichever, it's a shame but on recent evidence you could well be right.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by sittingringside Wed 04 Sep 2013, 11:58 am

This is a real crossroads fight for Khan, if he wins and looks good then he's back on track and there are other lucrative fights for him around, if he loses then the detractors have been proved right and he is most likely shot. It's hard to have absolute faith in the man after the last couple of performances, but I fancy him to beat Alexander. He's faster and less conservative, Alexander looks unconvincing against boxers. Alexander's ko of Urango is a red herring for me, he's never showed that kind of one shot power again, it was a once in a career perfect shot.

sittingringside

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down