The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Khan v Alexander

+13
Coxy001
88Chris05
AdamT
milkyboy
Hammersmith harrier
Rodney
TopHat24/7
hogey
terryaki01
wheelchair1991
Strongback
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Kareem61
17 posters

Go down

Khan v Alexander Empty Khan v Alexander

Post by Kareem61 Thu 27 Nov 2014, 11:25 pm

Only a few weeks away now, I reckon an easy nights work for Amir but what's everyone else's thoughts on how this will play out?

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Khan v Alexander Empty Re: Khan v Alexander

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Thu 27 Nov 2014, 11:58 pm

Same really, Devon is solid but nothing extroadanary and kind of tailor made for khan. May have the odd punch here and there but haven't seen it for years and isn't the type to get his gloves up and chin in and try walk khan down if things aren't going to plan

Can he outbox khan is the question, no is the answer. Khan is quicker, longer, better jab, more confident, better combination puncher, has more heart and knows bigger paydays are on the horizon

Khan wide UD

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 1:48 am

I saw a snippet of an interview Khan did with Adam Smith where Smith stated that Alexander was comparable in terms of speed. I don't think that's true, I think as you've stated that Khan is superior in pretty much all departments. A stoppage win would be nice.

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Fri 28 Nov 2014, 1:51 am

Has Sky or BoxNation even picked up this fight. Absolutely zero interest being generated in the scrap in the UK.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by wheelchair1991 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 6:48 am

Sky have was announced yesterday

wheelchair1991

Back to top Go down

Post by terryaki01 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 8:06 am

It's on sky sports1 thankfully. Should be a dominant khan win and on to bigger and better fights

terryaki01

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 28 Nov 2014, 8:15 am

Its a fight between 2 very decent, but nothing special fighters. The result will depend on what Alexander turns up if its the normal going through the motions and under performing version then Khan wins an easy points decision, if it is the only occasionally seen best and motivated version of Devon then Khan is in big trouble and he gets stopped around the 9th or 10th.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 9:45 am

Good to see it on SS1.

Khan UD.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 28 Nov 2014, 9:58 am

Disappointed its on Sky the thought of Adam Smith, Halling and co send a shiver down my spine. Im edging towards Alexander on this one, I really finding it difficult to fathom out why Khan is fancied so heavily. Alexander has as good wins as Amir and hasn't been sparked out, seems the Diaz and Molina performances have been forgotten..Alexander 10th round TKO

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 28 Nov 2014, 10:04 am

It's because he isn't a come forward heavy puncher, be interested to know what Alrxander does that could trouble Khan?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 28 Nov 2014, 10:07 am

I rate Alexander a bit higher than most it seems. Inconsistent but  a very capable boxer on his day. Khan's never really been outboxed and the khan who beat kotelnik and Judah would probably be clear favourite but the khan of now? It's less clear cut for me. Amir's struggles have been against pressure fighters, so there's a fair argument that Alexander is made for him.

Alexander is at the last chance saloon for a seat at the top table, if you forgive my mixing of metaphors. So if he can't get up for this he probably never will again.

Khans fights are rarely dull, though I can see how this one might be. If its on sky sports I'll look forward to it and certainly be watching. Khan slight favourite but no shoe in, in my book.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by AdamT Fri 28 Nov 2014, 10:09 am

Khan will win. Probably UD in a decent test.

AdamT

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 10:15 am

When I heard that this fight had been made my first thought was that Khan would take a comfortable UD. I'm still going with Khan but a little more tentatively now after thinking about it a bit more. As Rodders has just touched on, Alexander's biggest struggles have come when he's been roughed up and bullied phsyically, which isn't Khan's strongest suit.

Both of them have blown hot and cold at the highest level and both have had bad struggles with fighters who shouldn't have caused the problems and seemingly had nothing to threaten them with, so an argument can probably be made either way. I see what people are saying when they mention that Alexander doesn't have huge power, but now and then he has shown a bigger punch than you might expect, and it's not as if you need to be a great puncher to wobble Khan. Alexander's a good counter puncher and it's not impossible that he could start timing Khan.

Hand speed is pretty equal but Khan has the better legs, lets more shots / combinations go and crucially seems to want it more than Alexander does when the going gets tough, though, so therefore I'm happy sticking with Khan by decision. But I think it'll be closer than I initially thought and it's going to need a very good performance from Amir to make sure of the win.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Fri 28 Nov 2014, 10:28 am

Hammersmith harrier wrote:It's because he isn't a come forward heavy puncher, be interested to know what Alrxander does that could trouble Khan?

Same could be said about Khan, Porter and Bradley smothered and roughed Alexander up, Khan isnt going to do that. Alexander has enough purchase on his punches to stop Amir in his tracks, it wasn't so long ago everyone wrote Amir off after his poor performance against Diaz. He performed well against Collazo but seems many are going a bit over the top. Its a 50/50 fight for me.

Cheers, Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 28 Nov 2014, 10:32 am

Alexander struggled with matthysse and porter, but handled maidana pretty well. Khan has struggled with all the decent come forward fighters he's faced.

In terms of them fighting boxers... maybe their common opponent is a useful benchmark. Khan cruised past kotelnik while Alexander took a disputed decision.

Hey Styles and fights etc, kotelnik is more a european classic amateur style fighter, but it might be the best gauge we have.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Nov 2014, 10:57 am

Neither of them are going to be in the frame for a shot at Floyd or Manny is the proposed big fight is a genuine possibility however, a good showing from Khan on SKY no less will do wonders when it comes to selling a massive summer fight with Kell Brook. The winner of THAT may be in line for shot at the winner of Floyd Manny (unless there's a rematch). With that in mind, I think Khan will take it. He must surely know these days that his window of opportunity is closing fast and can't afford to mess it up.

Alexander couldn't sell out his bathroom if Jennifer Lopez was in there having a shower

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 11:42 am

[quote="Hammersmith harrier"]It's because he isn't a come forward heavy puncher, be interested to know what Alrxander does that could trouble Khan?[/quote]

Because he's able to hit someone on the chin? Seem to remember he stunned us all by knocking out Urango, albeit 4/5 years ago, but he's so hit or miss that you're never quite sure if the plodding boredom suicide inducing Alexander is going to turn up.

I've got £50 on Alexander to cause the upset, have a feeling Khan is going to come unstuck again and Devvie has the power to cause him trouble.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 11:43 am

milkyboy wrote:Alexander struggled with matthysse and porter, but handled maidana pretty well. Khan has struggled with all the decent come forward fighters he's faced.

10th round aside, would you really say Khan struggled with Maidana??

Think I only gave MM about 2 other rounds.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 11:53 am

Alexander is made for Khan as he doesn't carry a punch................Khan is lightning fast with a good jab and alexander won't cope.....

Khan's biggest problem is he switches off and unless you have the power to take advantage of his off switch and hurt him....You aren't going to score enough points when he's on !!

Khan late or by decision.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:01 pm

"Alexander is made for Khan as he doesn't carry a punch"

The usually iron chinned Urango may say something different to you Trussy

Alexander by TKO in the 3rd.

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:05 pm

Captain Kirk wrote:"Alexander is made for Khan as he doesn't carry a punch"

The usually iron chinned Urango may say something different to you Trussy

Alexander by TKO in the 3rd.

We'll see......28 fights...14 kos ...................Five out of last six wins his opponent has gone the distance......Apart from Purdy who took everything he had to offer !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:06 pm

That was a one off punch which he's never looked liked replicating and the speed of Khan will dishearten him as he gets every time he steps up.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:17 pm

Khan has yet to fight a live opponent at WW so will be interesting to see how he takes a shot. Alexander isn't the biggest puncher but you don't have to be to trouble Amir. Not saying he gets KO'd all the time but as he takes punches in fights he loses power and speed the longer it goes on. Also interesting to see how Khan deals with the southpaw stance. Khan fought Judah but fair to say he was a shell of himself at the time.

Garcia timed Khan beautifully with the left hook in their fight and was looking for it all night, I wonder will Devon have a similar tactic in mind. Again not as big a puncher as Garcia but at a higher weight now so the extra few pounds will give Devon a bit more in his shots, as it does for Amir.

Great fight though and a real make or break for both men.

Last edited by Pedro147 on Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:20 pm; edited 2 times in total

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Coxy001 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:18 pm

I'll get the humble pie in the slowcooker ready for the 13th

Khan leaves himself wide open to be countered all day long. Just ask Danny "can only hit with one hand" Garcia. All over in the 3rd!

Coxy001

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:23 pm

Captain Kirk wrote:I'll get the humble pie in the slowcooker ready for the 13th

Khan leaves himself wide open to be countered all day long. Just ask Danny "can only hit with one hand" Garcia. All over in the 3rd!
This is where we need to seen if Hunter HAS improved Khan in that area or if it's just spin

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:24 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:It's because he isn't a come forward heavy puncher, be interested to know what Alrxander does that could trouble Khan?

Well he is bigger and has more power and handspeed than Diaz or most of the others that have hurt Khan, plus he is a better boxer than any of Khans previous opponents. The question is will he turn up with fire in his belly and go for it in view of the fact Khan aint all that good either and has a weak mandible and no more than pretty average power.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:25 pm

Captain Kirk wrote:I'll get the humble pie in the slowcooker ready for the 13th

Sorry Captain Kirk........Alexander is going to feel .......The Wrath of Khan !! thumbsup rose Cool

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:27 pm

Why wasn't this fight marketed as 'King Khan vs Alexander The Great'? Too easy!

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 28 Nov 2014, 12:35 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
milkyboy wrote:Alexander struggled with matthysse and porter, but handled maidana pretty well. Khan has struggled with all the decent come forward fighters he's faced.

10th round aside, would you really say Khan struggled with Maidana??

Think I only gave MM about 2 other rounds.

That round was definitely a struggle toppy!

Other than that he won clearly enough, but it never looked that comfortable to me. It was fairly close on the cards too. That said, I Haven't seen it since it happened so I may be giving you and him a disservice.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Fri 28 Nov 2014, 1:10 pm

Alexander is a bigger puncher than Diaz but he doesn't hit as hard as those who stopped him, think his power is getting over rated a bit.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 28 Nov 2014, 1:43 pm

No Hammersmith i agree Alexander is not a big puncher, but many smaller men with less power have hurt Khan and Alexander has the skills and accuracy to put him away if he hurts him not lose his head and just swing wildly.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 1:52 pm

Thing is Hogey........Is we know Alexander is going to get hit but is Khan ??

That's why it's hard to pick Devon..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 1:55 pm

hogey wrote:

Well he is bigger and has more power and handspeed than Diaz or most of the others that have hurt Khan, plus he is a better boxer than any of Khans previous opponents. The question is will he turn up with fire in his belly and go for it in view of the fact Khan aint all that good either and has a weak mandible and no more than pretty average power.

Don't see Devon being a bigger puncher than Maidana or Garcia, nor is he a better boxer than Kotelnik (who out boxed him in many's eyes).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 2:12 pm

Is anyone expecting big improvements from Khan? He's had quite a while working with Hunter now so if the improvements aren't visible in this fight then they're probably never going to happen.

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 2:22 pm

He's already a very skilled operator.......Unfortunately the kid's problems are of a nature Hunter can't help him with.... ie When he gets hit...Like Holyfield his instincts are to trade and it gives suckers a chance !!! and he switches off.....

If he's not in his comfort zone he makes stupid choices !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 28 Nov 2014, 2:23 pm

Kareem61 wrote:Is anyone expecting big improvements from Khan? He's had quite a while working with Hunter now so if the improvements aren't visible in this fight then they're probably never going to happen.
I'm expecting him to SAY there's been big improvements but one improvement Khan needs to make is to fight the urge to stay in the pocket to throw extra shots cos that's generally when he gets tagged.

The urge to have a tear up when he gets hurt is the big thing that needs work but it's ingrained in him so I'm not sure how much Hunter can coach that out of him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kareem61 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 2:31 pm

I thought against Collazo that he moved a lot better, seemed to throw just the right amount of punches before getting out of range. He seemed to resist the urge to go all out every time he caught Collazo with anything.

Kareem61

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Fri 28 Nov 2014, 2:36 pm

Its fight or flight...  khan fights when hurt, so does groves... Nothing can be done about it because you can coach people what to do when they're thinking straight, but not when their head's scrambled.

All hunter has and can do that I've seen, is to shorten the clusters if punches to 2s and 3s then out... Reducing the likelihood of getting caught. Once he's tagged only the bell can help him.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Fri 28 Nov 2014, 2:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Thing is Hogey........Is we know Alexander is going to get hit but is Khan ??

That's why it's hard to pick Devon..

Not sure Khan is that hard to hit the list of people that have hurt him badly sometimes numerous times in the same fight is not exactly an all time great list and most of them were not as quick or skilled as Alexander. Both men will take shots in this fight, but one can take a shot and one has a jaw like Waterford Crystal.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Fri 28 Nov 2014, 2:52 pm

Amazing to think how Sky have picked this up on SS1...Khan vs Alexander and also has K.Thurman fighting....all in all we have a good night of boxing with world level fighters going at it.

I paid for Bellew vs Clev....NOW I fell ashamed.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Fri 28 Nov 2014, 4:18 pm

Khan UD

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down