The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ashley Theophane: The Floyd Mayweather Gym diaries

5 posters

Go down

Ashley Theophane: The Floyd Mayweather Gym diaries Empty Ashley Theophane: The Floyd Mayweather Gym diaries

Post by Pedro147 Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:49 am

Monday August 26

I had to take a quick trip back to London. The hard work didn't stop as I completed a two-hour plus workout. Strength and cardiovascular conditioning followed by some abdominal and back crunches. I did some swimming then chilled out for the day. At night time I did an eight-mile run then went to bed.

Tuesday August 27

I pretty much did the same work out as Monday I just replaced the night time run with an hour pilates session.

I flew back to Las Vegas to continue my training camp.

Wednesday August 28

I hit Mount Charleston this morning with Ishe Smith and Eddie Mustafa Muhammed who drove his car behind us. It is always a hard run.

Afterwards we headed down to Baby Stacks cafe to refuel with some protein and carbohydrates.

It was good to see Eddie as Friday he was in NYC with Arash Usmanee. Arash put in a good performance against IBF super-featherweight champ Argenis Mendez. He was so close to winning, earning a draw over 12 rounds, but I'm sure a rematch will happen or he'll get a shot at another title.

Its always good when someone you train with does well in their fight. I sparred his the last two times before he fought Argenis so I knew he was in great shape.

In the afternoon I went to the gym for the media workout. I did interviews with Spanish, American and British television. I watched as a fan the last media workout in May but this time I'm part of the Money Team and working.

It was good but you can't enjoy it as much as being a spectator. I'm focused on my fight and training but doing media is part of promoting a show.

In the morning I had interviews with two of UK's top newspapers, the Metro and Daily Mail.

Thursday August 29

Today was maybe my best performance in sparring. I started my day with a four-mile run followed by an hour strength conditioning session and hour yoga at 24 hour fitness. That alone was hard but that's just the starter.

The main course was sparring with Cortez Bey. We worked on Saturday after the mountain run and it was quality work. I did well but today as my legs and body were fresh. The sparring was vicious. I was in my zone. With something like 18 days to go now. There are no games in there. Eddie Mustafa Muhammed who now trains Cortez barked orders at him and tried to motivate him by saying I was tired at stages. I don't know what tired is. I have two world champions in Floyd Mayweather and Ishe Smith in the gym to get motivation and advice from. I see the work they put in. I follow their lead, carving out my own reputation as a hard worker

Nate shouted out his own instructions. "Where's the referee?" "Stop the fight." "Ash, you killing him." Its all good preparation for the fight but I never pay attention to what's going on outside the ring. I'm focused on my opposition inside.

We completed 21 minutes of work. Three five-minute rounds and one six-minute round with thirty seconds rest.

I helped Mickey Bey get ready for his fight and now his brother, Cortez Bey is helping me get ready for mine.

Friday August 30

Today is my 33rd Birthday but just like last year the celebration will have to wait. I have a life changing opportunity in two weeks time and that is my main focus.

Last year on my birthday I was in Scotland helping Ricky Burns prepare for his domestic clash with Kevin Mitchell. I enjoyed my time up there. All the guys treated me well. Ricky and I had some explosive sessions. I knew he'd knock out Kevin. I even won some money on the result.

I started my day with an interview with BT Sport then headed to the gym for a strength session. I also got in a four-mile run.

I got another quality session in the bag with Cortez Bey. 21 minutes of work. Three five-minute rounds and one six-minute round with only 30 seconds rest in between rounds.

Saturday August 31

Promoter, Manager, Trainer and Sky Sports pundit, Spencer Fearon has been at the gym all week. He's got along with the guys at the gym. He interviewed me for his Toe to Toe show which I'm looking forward to seeing.

I was up at 445am as Ishe Smith was picking me up for 530am to get to Mount Charleston for 6am.

I weighed 147lbs when I woke up. So making weight for my fight is not even an issue.

Mount Charleston is always hard and I always come first. That's two things that is a certainty on Saturday mornings. Its not a race. Everyone runs at their own pace.

Afterwards Eddie Mustafa Muhammed, Ishe Smith and I went to Baby Stacks Cafe to refuel after the draining run. Protein and Carbohydrates were eaten in abundance.

Early afternoon I sparred with Daquan Arnett and Donovan Moore. They are both undefeated. Daquan came to the gym with a good reputation. He gave Andre Berto and Keith Thurman more than they could handle in his sparring sessions during their last training camps. He's been of great help to me and we've got in some good rounds together.

I completed six five-minute rounds with 30 seconds rest in between. That's 10 rounds I completed. I am ready. Next week will be more of the same.

Nate Jones said afterwards, "I hope Pablo is ready to fight, cause he's going to get a big surprise."

I work hard and my performance on September 14 will show that. This is the fight that I'm willing to leave it all in the ring. Its my 40th and my 10th anniversary and my first fight with Mayweather Promotions.

We can box or fight. We can go to war. There will only be one winner and that's Ashley Theophane. I always rise to the big occasions.

Sunday September 1

Over my 10-year career I've been asked so many times. How far do you think you can go? My answer was always I don't know.

I never put a limit on what I could achieve in and out of the ring.

What I have done in my 10-year career without a promoter. Is nothing short of remarkable. Beating DeMarcus Corley and Delvin Rodriguez as the opponent. Dropping a split decision to future world champion Danny Garcia who went on to knock out Amir Khan.

It's a shame most British boxing fans don't appreciate my talent but American officials, promoters, boxers and fans do. So I'm not complaining.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Ashley Theophane: The Floyd Mayweather Gym diaries Empty Re: Ashley Theophane: The Floyd Mayweather Gym diaries

Post by milkyboy Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:00 am

Interesting background piece Pedro. Never thought too much of Theopane as a fighter but wish him well. Did think he'd somehow got himself a title shot under the radar from the big build up, but hey, best of luck to him regardless.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Ashley Theophane: The Floyd Mayweather Gym diaries Empty Re: Ashley Theophane: The Floyd Mayweather Gym diaries

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:11 am

Shows what top boxers are made of. That's a hell of a regime to take on and he's not even world level.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:07 pm

Man those are some serious workouts

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:27 pm

... By way of comparison? i wonder if toney did a diary for the Sam Peter fight?

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:31 pm

milkyboy wrote:... By way of comparison? i wonder if toney did a diary for the Sam Peter fight?
Every muscle in my body has just tightened.......
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:32 pm

Breath in

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Breath out

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Breath in

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:33 pm

Breath out

Sorry chris. Insensitive of me.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:29 pm

Day 3: Melting a tub of ice cream in the microwave and smoking a cigar.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down