The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stevens holds a Brooklyn funeral for Golovkin.

+9
Union Cane
J.Benson II
Strongback
The Terror of Tylorstown
milkyboy
mobilemaster8
88Chris05
ONETWOFOREVER
hampo17
13 posters

Go down

Stevens holds a Brooklyn funeral for Golovkin. Empty Stevens holds a Brooklyn funeral for Golovkin.

Post by hampo17 Thu 05 Sep 2013, 10:10 am

Very tasteless ahead of their showdown, seriously hope neither one of these guys get hurt in this fight.

http://www.boxingscene.com/photos-stevens-holds-brooklyn-funeral-golovkin--69302

hampo17
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Stevens holds a Brooklyn funeral for Golovkin. Empty Re: Stevens holds a Brooklyn funeral for Golovkin.

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 05 Sep 2013, 10:20 am

Haha funny yet a little twisted

got to give him credit for not fearing GGG like Barker and co.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Stevens holds a Brooklyn funeral for Golovkin. Empty Re: Stevens holds a Brooklyn funeral for Golovkin.

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 05 Sep 2013, 10:21 am

Not in the best taste, but since when was that a surprise in boxing anymore!? Stevens is going to look a bit daft when Golovkin takes him to the cleaners, mind you. Golovkin's a cool customer so I think something like this will definitely only serve to increase his focus, rather than unsettle him.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 05 Sep 2013, 10:30 am

88Chris05 wrote:Not in the best taste, but since when was that a surprise in boxing anymore!? Stevens is going to look a bit daft when Golovkin takes him to the cleaners, mind you. Golovkin's a cool customer so I think something like this will definitely only serve to increase his focus, rather than unsettle him.
If Stevens lands that left hook GGG will sleep.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 05 Sep 2013, 11:01 am

Yes but when GGG lands a jab, the left hook wont be playing ball at all.

Followed closely by punishment for 3 rounds, followed by Stevens laying face down on the canvas regretting the fact he mocked middleweights hardest puncher in the history of boxing.

GGG will look down and say "he is a silly boy"

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 05 Sep 2013, 11:09 am

This is the guy who got shut out by jesse brinkley. Hmmn can't wait, a real pick em.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Thu 05 Sep 2013, 11:11 am

Didn't realise Stevens was facing one of Ketchel, Fitzsimmons, Robinson, Hearns or Jackson.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Thu 05 Sep 2013, 11:25 am

GGG won't mind if it sells a few more tickets.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu 05 Sep 2013, 11:29 am

I actually found this pretty funny even if its in bad taste.
What will be even funnier though is when GGG lays him out right in front of his homies.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 05 Sep 2013, 11:33 am

He isn't terror. He is fighting the hardest hitting middleweight if all time. Highest KO percentage ever.

And it will continue against this homie very soon. Should be fun to watch.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Thu 05 Sep 2013, 11:39 am

Ko percentages are misleading, as things stands he's a long way behind the 5 men I mentioned, the moment he starts knocking out heavyweights then I may put him on the same level as Fitzsimmons.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 05 Sep 2013, 11:41 am

True, but in off recent interview with Max Kellerman and the like asking how he feels to the hardest punching middleweight ever.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Thu 05 Sep 2013, 11:45 am

He's yet to knock any top level durable fighter out though, he punches very hard but it's far too early to start putting him in the upper echelons of the division.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 05 Sep 2013, 11:49 am

I feel the same mate. But at the same time, the figures don't lie regardless of opposition. Id love to see him spark Stevens then go on to spark Quillin followed by Martinez, which i think he can do.

would Martinez be such a big win these days though??

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Thu 05 Sep 2013, 11:57 am

That's the thing the figures can lie when you're fighting some ordinary fighters with a good win over Macklin thrown in. It's two fold he's not fought anyone with a truly outstanding chin or anyone with a world class defence, the two men who fit the bill are 8lbs north of him. With the middleweight division being full of decent but not great boxer he will be judged on whether he can make the step up.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 05 Sep 2013, 12:03 pm

I agree that calling Golovkin the hardest-hitting Middleweight of all time is jumping the gun, although he's certainly a terrifying hitter. But I wouldn't put Robinson that high at 160. I'd argue that McClellan belongs ahead of him at Middleweight. Maybe names such as Valdez and Jones, too, although Roy's lack of time spent at Middleweight means the water is a bit murky on that one.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 05 Sep 2013, 12:14 pm

Maybe jumping the gun, and i agree, but i only mentioned it because factually he is.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Union Cane Thu 05 Sep 2013, 12:19 pm

Never heard of this Stevens character.

What is a 'Brooklyn funeral', is it like a 'Cleveland steamer'?
Union Cane
Union Cane

Location : Whatever truculent means, if that's good, I'm that.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Thu 05 Sep 2013, 12:24 pm

There's a difference between being the hard hitting and having a high KO percentage, there are a host of heavyweights with a better KO rate than Shavers but none of them hit as hard.

I mentioned Robinson for reasons Chris; Turpin, Fullmer and LaMotta, he didn't knock the raging bull out in the conventional sense but he punched him to an absolute standstill.

I always forget about Valdez, when you have 7 fights against Monzon, Corro and Briscoe it's going to effect your KO% quite a bit. Then again his second fight I think with Briscoe demonstrated the power he possessed and simply knocking Monzon did too.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 05 Sep 2013, 12:38 pm

Robinson was a very fine puncher at 160, don't get me wrong. What he did to Fullmer will always be one of the great one-punch knockouts. But going on the whole depth of his Middleweight run, that kind of thing at the highest level was the exception and not the rule, similar to Nunn-Kalambay, for instance. Definitely plenty of tough chins to crack at 160 in Robinson's time, mind you!

I think as a Middleweight Robinson was a big puncher rather than a huge one, but the key was that he was always very, very aggressive with the punches that he did throw. You never really got the impression that Robinson was looking to win a decision, so to speak. He threw everything with bad intentions, even if he couldn't topple guys the way he'd done as a Welterweight.

I'm in a minority, but my favourite Robinson knockout is actually the one he handed out to Graziano rather than the Fullmer one. Graziano's chin wasn't in the same class as Fullmer's, but in terms of executing the sweet science to put a man down and out, it was amazing.

88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Thu 05 Sep 2013, 12:59 pm

I do like the Graziano knockout too but like you said he wasn't Gene Fullmer and I can't quite overlook that, my favourite has to be his punch to knock Turpin down. Opposition has to be taken into account and which is why I can't see Fitzsimmons ever relinquishing his status as the divisions hardest hitter.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by BoxingFan88 Thu 05 Sep 2013, 1:58 pm

He won't be talking so big when Golovkin flattens him.

However it is nice to see someone who isn't intimidated.

BoxingFan88

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 05 Sep 2013, 2:20 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Yes but when GGG lands a jab, the left hook wont be playing ball at all.

Followed closely by punishment for 3 rounds, followed by Stevens laying face down on the canvas regretting the fact he mocked middleweights hardest puncher in the history of boxing.

GGG will look down and say "he is a silly boy"
Judging from the Rosado fight, Gennady will be saying, "He was good boy. Good boy."

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by monzon Sat 07 Sep 2013, 7:07 pm

Crass.

Hope he gets a right shoeing.

monzon

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Sun 08 Sep 2013, 11:27 am

Golovkin has too much variety. He'll be the one landing the punches. And they'll be hard punches. KO/TKO within 3 rounds for me.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down