The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxers who could have made it in another sport

+18
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
TRUSSMAN66
Atila
John Bloody Wayne
milkyboy
rIck_dAgless
Rodney
mobilemaster8
88Chris05
ONETWOFOREVER
J.Benson II
seanmichaels
Mind the windows Tino.
Fists of Fury
The Terror of Tylorstown
School Project
Rowley
Tea_is_for_mugs
22 posters

Go down

Boxers who could have made it in another sport Empty Boxers who could have made it in another sport

Post by Tea_is_for_mugs Thu 05 Sep 2013, 1:24 pm

We hear constantly that the reason for the percieved decline in Heavy weight division is other more instantly lucrative sports taking the naturally gifted athletes. I am sure an agument could be made for the lower weights also.

So lets flip this on it's head shall we, Do you know of any boxers who had promising careers in other sports but chose boxing? one example would be Curtis Woodhouse defecting from professional foorball to boxing.

Secondly, are there any boxers who you think would have a good career in an alternative sport? I think Derek Chisora would have made one hell of a prop in rugby, the weekly games would do his waist line good and he does seem to have a good engine on him.

What be your thoughts folks.

Tea_is_for_mugs

Back to top Go down

Boxers who could have made it in another sport Empty Re: Boxers who could have made it in another sport

Post by Rowley Thu 05 Sep 2013, 1:28 pm

Ricky Hatton was apparently on the books of Man City for a while which suggests he was a decent footballer. Having seen him play in a charity match many years ago I can confirm he was half decent.

Apparently Rocky Marciano was a quite solid baseball player, according to all reports he was a batsman and perhaps unsurprisingly was a big hitter. Am currently reading a biography of John L Sullivan and in that it says Sullivan was good enough and possibly had the opportunity of going pro at baseball, which I was previously unaware of.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Boxers who could have made it in another sport Empty Re: Boxers who could have made it in another sport

Post by School Project Thu 05 Sep 2013, 1:32 pm

Off the top of my head I know Sergio Martinez was once a professional cyclist, he started boxing very late (in his early to mid twenties I believe!).

Anthony Mundine was a rugby or Aussie rules football player for a number of years before turning to boxing too.

I'm pretty certain that Seth Mitchell was a linebacker for some NFL team or something at that level.

How about Tonya Harding (the ex figure skater involved in the leg breaking incident 20 years back?) that's gotta be the craziest!

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Thu 05 Sep 2013, 1:38 pm

Michael Grant and Shannon Briggs could have been decent at basketball or american football, both with impressive physiques and height.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Thu 05 Sep 2013, 1:40 pm

School Project wrote:Off the top of my head I know Sergio Martinez was once a professional cyclist, he started boxing very late (in his early to mid twenties I believe!).

Anthony Mundine was a rugby or Aussie rules football player for a number of years before turning to boxing too.

I'm pretty certain that Seth Mitchell was a linebacker for some NFL team or something at that level.

How about Tonya Harding (the ex figure skater involved in the leg breaking incident 20 years back?) that's gotta be the craziest!
I believe Martinez was also a footballer, SP. Seriously talented chap.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 05 Sep 2013, 1:41 pm

Mark Gastineau was another NFL player who tried his hand at boxing, was god awful as a boxer though. His biggest claim to fame/infamy as a boxer is featuring in the tragic story of Tim Anderson, which if you’re not familiar with is worth reading up about.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mind the windows Tino. Thu 05 Sep 2013, 1:41 pm

Curtis Woodhouse always struck me as someone who would be good at other sports.

Mind the windows Tino.
Beano
Beano

Location : Your knuckles whiten on the wheel. The last thing that Julius will feel, your final flight can't be delayed. No earth just sky it's so serene, your pink fat lips let go a scream. You fry and melt, I love the scene.

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu 05 Sep 2013, 1:42 pm

Nicky Piper - Chess

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Sep 2013, 1:43 pm

As well as football I reckon darts would've been one for Hatton! Didn't Martinez play football as well?

Back to top Go down

Post by J.Benson II Thu 05 Sep 2013, 1:44 pm

Most HW's that America have produced in recent years were failed NFL/NBA prospects (Grant, Wilder, Mithcell etc).
Obviously any HW over 6'5ft you'd imagine would be decent at basketball.

J.Benson II

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Sep 2013, 1:52 pm

Frank Bruno would probably have been a decent bodybuilder, natural or otherwise.

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 05 Sep 2013, 1:55 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:
School Project wrote:Off the top of my head I know Sergio Martinez was once a professional cyclist, he started boxing very late (in his early to mid twenties I believe!).

I believe Martinez was also a footballer, SP. Seriously talented chap.
Oh yeah, that rings a bell.

The guy is just a natural athelete. It showed too between 2007-2011 (given his age) he's fitness levels are incredible. Though given the injuries with his knees of late, it shows how much they've been used.

On the subject of fitness... Didn't Roy Jones Jr partake in full semi-pro game of basketball 6 hours before he was due to fight?

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 05 Sep 2013, 1:56 pm

He did SP believe the opponent was Eric Lucas

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Thu 05 Sep 2013, 2:00 pm

Ahhh, maybe it wasn't a full game, but it was definately for a professional team!

"A few hours before the fight, Jones played 15 minutes for the Jacksonville Barracudas of the United States Basketball League and scored six points."

Source: http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Roy_Jones_Jr._vs._Eric_Lucas

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Thu 05 Sep 2013, 2:08 pm

James Toney was a high sckool football star before taking up boxing.

Mike Tyson was a pigien racer

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Thu 05 Sep 2013, 2:11 pm

John Ruiz would have made a wonderful sumo wrestler or full-time grappler, judging by his holding and spoiling skills in the squared circle.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Thu 05 Sep 2013, 2:12 pm

Amir Khan was a decent boxer until he became more of a dancer.

No but seriously, Seth Mitchell was in NFL, Hatton at Man City....thats it really. I think.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 05 Sep 2013, 2:12 pm

David Haye - actor
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu 05 Sep 2013, 2:13 pm

didn't Deontay Wilder give up Pro Football to be a boxer?

and obviously Sonny Bill for Rugby union

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 05 Sep 2013, 2:13 pm

Apologies I missed the big blue writing that said another sport.

But hey lets not miss an opportunity to have a dig at Haye
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 05 Sep 2013, 2:18 pm

Had running backwards been an Olympic sport hector camacho would have had gold medal potential

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 05 Sep 2013, 2:32 pm

That prospect Flintoff should try cricket.

Baby Matlala was on the verge turning pro at basketball before boxing caught his attention.

Last edited by John Bloody Wayne on Thu 05 Sep 2013, 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : moron i am)

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Sep 2013, 2:44 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:That prospect Flintoff should try cricket.

Baby Matlala was on the verge turning pro at basketball before boxing caught his attention.
Baby Jake Matlala...all 4'10" of him...pro basketball...I can see it now!

Nikolai Valuev was due to turn pro but decided against it when he found out that limbo dancing wasn't a sport

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 05 Sep 2013, 2:54 pm

Laugh 
Wasn't Wilt Chamberlain planning on challenging Ali at some point. I've heard a couple of stories about that.

Wilt v Nikolai would be fun.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Thu 05 Sep 2013, 3:03 pm

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/weblog/news.php?p=7095&more=1

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 05 Sep 2013, 3:14 pm

sohotnot wrote:Frank  Bruno would probably have been a decent bodybuilder, natural or otherwise.
Bruno had enough mental problems without him taking up bodybuilding. Imagine him suffering "roid rage".

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 05 Sep 2013, 3:24 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Laugh 
Wasn't Wilt Chamberlain planning on challenging Ali at some point. I've heard a couple of stories about that.

Wilt v Nikolai would be fun.
Apparently Wilt and Ali got close to signing a contract. The story I read was Ali and Dundee were sat waiting for Wilt to arrive to sign and Angelo was begging Ali not to do anything to blow it as he realised it was easy money. When Wilt walked into the room Ali stood up and shouted TIMBER!! and at that point Wilt came to his senses. Not sure how true it is but good story.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 05 Sep 2013, 3:29 pm

One I heard (that's a little more far fetched) is that they were at some sort of party talking about it and decided to go have a playful spar in the car park, and Ali slapped him about a bit.

I saw a talk show they were both on. The host was there saying how Chamberlain's hands were even larger than Sonny Liston's and his reach was a million miles. Wilt demonstrated how he thought he'd win by sticking the left in Ali's face and Ali, of course, parried it without even thinking. You can see why some sport star with an inflated ego looking to make a name would rather fight for the title against a guy like Ali, rather than a guy like Liston, Frazier or Foreman, but they'd still get battered.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 05 Sep 2013, 3:29 pm

Shane Mosely won a boxing match against Shaq.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 05 Sep 2013, 3:36 pm

imagine If Sumo ever caught on over here..Valuev would be pretty good..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake Thu 05 Sep 2013, 3:37 pm

Shane Mosely won a boxing match against Shaq..
Aye, and Mayweather kicked The Big Show's ass...

Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Thu 05 Sep 2013, 3:41 pm

De La Hoya won a decision against Shaq on an American TV show. I've never heard of Shaq v Mosley.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu 05 Sep 2013, 3:56 pm

It is an odd thing with boxing John, ask most guys or even sportsmen if they think they could win a game of tennis against Nadal and most would openly acknowledge they would not stand a chance and would be lucky to get a serve back but ask them if they could go three rounds with Hopkins and plenty would back themselves.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Sep 2013, 3:59 pm

Rowley wrote:It is an odd thing with boxing John, ask most guys or even sportsmen if they think they could win a game of tennis against Nadal and most would openly acknowledge they would not stand a chance and would be lucky to get a serve back but ask them if they could go three rounds with Hopkins and plenty would back themselves.
Agreed, the number of blokes in pubs who said they'd fight Mike Tyson for £5million (this would be Peak/Prime Tyson I'm talking about, not any of the other significantly less intinidating versions)

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 05 Sep 2013, 4:11 pm

Atila wrote:De La Hoya won a decision against Shaq on an American TV show. I've never heard of Shaq v Mosley.
Shane's win was clearer than Oscar's from what I remember. I would get a youtube link but I can't be bothered and my arms are covered in PVA glue which makes copying and pasting troublesome.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 05 Sep 2013, 5:25 pm

Froch could've made it as a dancer.

He's a talented guy. He's also a military expert..........................in trench warfare.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Nico the gman Thu 05 Sep 2013, 5:36 pm

Terry Marsh boxing to Olympic pistol shooting.

Nico the gman

Back to top Go down

Post by JabMachineMK2 Thu 05 Sep 2013, 5:52 pm

Boxtthis wrote:He's also a military expert..........................in trench warfare.
What who's that? The Warrior who leaves it all on the battlefield?

(apologies I just instantly chuckle when i hear Froch's name now)

JabMachineMK2

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 05 Sep 2013, 6:52 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
Rowley wrote:It is an odd thing with boxing John, ask most guys or even sportsmen if they think they could win a game of tennis against Nadal and most would openly acknowledge they would not stand a chance and would be lucky to get a serve back but ask them if they could go three rounds with Hopkins and plenty would back themselves.
Agreed, the number of blokes in pubs who said they'd fight Mike Tyson for £5million (this would be Peak/Prime Tyson I'm talking about, not any of the other significantly less intinidating versions)
You wouldn't fight Tyson for 5 million quid?

Tyson EKO and when you wake up you are a very rich man definitely would.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Thu 05 Sep 2013, 6:57 pm

Yeah but I'd be worried he'd enhance my retardation.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 05 Sep 2013, 7:13 pm

John Bloody Wayne wrote:Yeah but I'd be worried he'd enhance my retardation.
Not something Lumbering considers to be a possibility...he could be the first person to have a minus IQ score

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Thu 05 Sep 2013, 9:06 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
John Bloody Wayne wrote:Yeah but I'd be worried he'd enhance my retardation.
Not something Lumbering considers to be a possibility...he could be the first person to have a minus IQ score
I think your Mrs will see to that one, Dave.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down