The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roy Jones Jr & Floyd Mayweather: Who's The Greater

+13
hogey
PPVxHOTTY
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
huw
88Chris05
The Terror of Tylorstown
Rowley
captain carrantuohil
kingraf
Lumbering_Jack
mobilemaster8
TRUSSMAN66
Strongback
17 posters

Go down

Roy Jones Jr & Floyd Mayweather:  Who's The Greater  Empty Roy Jones Jr & Floyd Mayweather: Who's The Greater

Post by Strongback Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:03 am

Which one of these fighters was the most naturally gifted?

Which fighter will have the greater legacy?

Discuss....

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Roy Jones Jr & Floyd Mayweather:  Who's The Greater  Empty Re: Roy Jones Jr & Floyd Mayweather: Who's The Greater

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:05 am

Obviously Mayweather being top 5 will have a greater legacy..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Roy Jones Jr & Floyd Mayweather:  Who's The Greater  Empty Re: Roy Jones Jr & Floyd Mayweather: Who's The Greater

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:06 am

Haha!

Mayweather for me will have the greatest legacy. Talent wise, i think they are both very very similar.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:09 am

Roy beats Mayweathers in a boxing match so you'd have side with Roy being more talented.

I also think if Roy fights all the people Mayweather has he is still undefeated. If Floyd fights Roy's opponents he loses quite a few fights.

So Roy for me.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:12 am

Name a few lumbering who you think would beat Floyd.

Obviously we are not including John Ruiz or Joe Calzaghe etc etc. But in and around similar weights.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:14 am

Lumbering_Jack wrote:Roy beats Mayweathers in a boxing match so you'd have side with Roy being more talented.

I also think if Roy fights all the people Mayweather has he is still undefeated. If Floyd fights Roy's opponents he loses quite a few fights.

So Roy for me.
So you agree with me Ali is number 1 then..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by kingraf Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:15 am

Floyd for me. Still not convinced with RJJ's resume. While Floyd's is not exactly mind numbing, I think wins over ODLH, Marquez, Cotto, and Castillo match up with Roys best wins, factor in the "0" and its daylight for me.
kingraf
kingraf
raf
raf

Location : To you I am there. To me I am here.... is it possible that I'm everywhere?

Back to top Go down

Post by captain carrantuohil Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:15 am

Possibly Jones was the more naturally talented, thinking back to his amateur days, although there wouldn't be a lot in it. Freakish ability. Unhappily, his unwillingness to turn the game in has tarnished his legacy to a slight degree - it's inescapable, sadly.

If he'd even retired after the first of that succession of KO defeats, I think I'd be putting him just ahead of Floyd, rather than 6 or 7 spots behind. I hope that Floyd isn't the last of his kind in boxing, but he may be. Not many virtuosos in this sport are able to make their fights into huge events, transcending boxing, and get paid accordingly in 2013. Look at poor old Ward if you doubt me. Think that Floyd's legacy is secure in more ways than one and it may take a proper American heavyweight champion (step forward Wilder?) to carry on the torch for boxing.

captain carrantuohil

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:17 am

Jones was a freakish talent.........His Hopkins win is the best win out of all Manny's and Floyds...

Mayweather is the first real transcender since Tyson..........Like Ali it's due to his marmite appeal..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:27 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Lumbering_Jack wrote:Roy beats Mayweathers in a boxing match so you'd have side with Roy being more talented.

So Roy for me.
So you agree with me Ali is number 1 then..
Yes. Best boxer that ever lived for me.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:28 am

I would have thought RJJ was just as popular in his pomp as Floyd is today?

In actual fact Oscar probably earned more money than either of them prior to Floyd's comeback.

Tyson is a different ball of wax. People still have nightmares about that guy 20 years later.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:34 am

Tyson transcended like Floyd is what I'm saying..WORLD names..

Jones didn't...........Oscar didn't...........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:40 am

Think I would have Floyd above him personally. Think both are exceptional talents and whilst I don’t think Roy’s subsequent fall from grace particularly showed up inherent flaws in his game I have seen the argument made and perhaps there is a nub of truth in it somewhere.

Both at their best were/are nigh on untouchable and whilst opinion differs on this am not sure Floyd has a wow moment to compare with Roy beating Ruiz think Roy’s opposition, whilst nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe could be fairly much of a muchness punctuated by the occasional peak whereas Floyd’s tends to be at a level of consistency. God only knows how many places I would have between them because outside of doing a top ten I struggle enormously but my instinct is I can see a definite argument for placing Floyd inside the top ten but can’t really find myself being as convinced of the case for Roy.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:54 am

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Tyson transcended like Floyd is what I'm saying..WORLD names..

Jones didn't...........Oscar didn't...........

I think there is only one world wide house hold name of those 4 and it's Tyson.

In America all three guys were big . Golden boy Oscar being possibly the biggest with all the Mexican support. Remember Oscar's pay check dwarfed Floyd's when they fought.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:55 am

Rowley wrote:Think I would have Floyd above him personally. Think both are exceptional talents and whilst I don’t think Roy’s subsequent fall from grace particularly showed up inherent flaws in his game I have seen the argument made and perhaps there is a nub of truth in it somewhere.

Both at their best were/are nigh on untouchable and whilst opinion differs on this am not sure Floyd has a wow moment to compare with Roy beating Ruiz think Roy’s opposition, whilst nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe could be fairly much of a muchness punctuated by the occasional peak whereas Floyd’s tends to be at a level of consistency. God only knows how many places I would have between them because outside of doing a top ten I struggle enormously but my instinct is I can see a definite argument for placing Floyd inside the top ten but can’t really find myself being as convinced of the case for Roy.  

I really don't think Floyd has a top level win against an ATG that lets him crack the Top 10.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:01 pm

Poor old Floyd..he'll be upset you think that..

Give us your top 10 then ......

Louis in your top 10 pal ??

Last edited by TRUSSMAN66 on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : ..)

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:02 pm

Am not sure I would have him in there strongy, however I can kind of see the argument a little more than I can with Roy.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:05 pm

mobilemaster8 wrote:Name a few lumbering who you think would beat Floyd.

Obviously we are not including John Ruiz or Joe Calzaghe etc etc. But in and around similar weights.
I think you've missed the point here and it is that Jones is better because he beats Floyd, now once Jones reached world level I wouldn't make Mayweather a favourite against any of them simply too small.

P4P Mayweather at this moment in time but had Jones retired sooner then his resume and multiple titles would have swayed it in his favour.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:06 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Poor old Floyd..he'll be upset you think that..

Give us your top 10 then ......

Louis in your top 10 pal ??

Well I think an argument for Louis being No.1 may not be that outlandish. Wink

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:08 pm

Never seen any other fighter who oozed as much pure talent as Roy did, and I think his peak years were better than Floyd's. But on the whole, I'd say that Mayweather has gone on to have the better career, just about, when you take everything in to account.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:09 pm

I believe you and he never beat anybody...........So that's a contradiction..

You have Louis above Ali at heavy even though Ali has beaten p4pers.I know that for a fact!! Both you and rodders!!.......

No offence you're full of s**t

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:17 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:I believe you and he never beat anybody...........So that's a contradiction..

You have Louis above Ali at heavy even though Ali has beaten p4pers.I know that for a fact!! Both you and rodders!!.......

No offence you're full of s**t

It was a joke hence the wink. A bit like your Mayweather No.1 article.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:21 pm

You had Louis above Ali ......I know that for a fact...You and rodders both...

But Louis never beat anybody and Ali beat p4pers..

So your whole argument about Floyd and a top 10er is completely contradictory...

Isn't it............You really are something !!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:22 pm

RJJ was the more naturally gifted.

Freakish talent that has faded as he has aged.

Mayweather has a huge amount of natural talent but also has a lot of learned skills which is why he isn't now left trading on his deminishing natural gifts.

Floyd for me will have a much better legacy however as RJJ has been damaging his for more than a few years now.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:25 pm

Nicked this from another site but it makes interesting reading in terms of Mayweathers legacy:

ww 2010

Title Vacant

Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd ??????
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Andre Berto
Miguel Cotto
Shane Mosley
Joshua Clottey
Jan Zaveck
Vyacheslav Senchenko
Rafal Jackiewicz
Timothy Bradley

ww (2009)

Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd ??
Shane Mosley vs Floyd ??
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Miguel Cotto vs Floyd ??
Joshua Clottey
Antonio Margarito
Andre Berto
Luis Collazo
Rafal Jackiewicz
Jan Zaveck

ww 2008

Title Vacant

Antonio Margarito vs Floyd ??
Miguel Cotto vs Floyd ??
Shane Mosley vs Floyd ??
Joshua Clottey
Manny Pacquiao
Carlos Quintana
Zab Judah
Luis Collazo
Andre Berto
Isaac Hlatshwayo

Welterweights ( 2007)

Floyd Mayweather Jr., Champion

Miguel Cotto vs Floyd ??
Paul Williams vs Floyd ??
Shane Mosley vs Floyd ??
Zab Judah
Kermit Cintron
Luis Collazo
Joshua Clottey
Jackson Osei Bonsu
Oktay Urkal

Welterweights 2006

Carlos Manuel Baldomir
Miguel Cotto vs Floyd ??
Zab Judah
Luis Collazo
Kermit Cintron
Oktay Urkal
Arturo Gatti
Paul Williams
Joshua Clottey

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:03 pm

Honestly, I think Roy is the better fighter in his prime, his ability for a man that size was freakish, and his wins over Toney (and Hoppo) eclipse any of floyds

However, with him getting knocked out and beat so much over the last few years, and the fact that in general Floyd fought at a higher level I'd say he has the better legacy

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:08 pm

The same old problem Jones has two elite wins in Hopkins and Toney plus two very good wins over Hill and McCallum with good wins over the unbeaten Griffin and Gonzalez. Mayweather can't compete against that but he has a plethora of good and very good wins to even up the balance.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by PPVxHOTTY Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:55 pm

Not much to separate them, Roy in his prime was a total monster who made everyone look stupid, including Bernard Hopkins and James Toney. Floyd has the better ring IQ and his technique is probably one of the greatest we've ever seen. I give the athletically gifted nod to Roy but just barely. When Roy's reflexes and legs started slowing 'Prior to Tarver, having Roy up against the ropes was like being a goldfish in a tank filled with piranhas', he really had no plan b, Floyd has plans b, c and others he drafts up mid-round. In terms of opponents I can't see a better win than Hopkins on Floyds resume.

Jones did not dominate Hopkins, but he handled him. I had it 9 rounds to 3 and Roy beat him with one hand and the same combination all night. A left hook to the body then head. Think about this, when have we ever seen Hopkins handled without high volume? Never.
Contrary to another myth, people act as if Hopkins was so green when he fought Jones but that was not the case. Hopkins was 28 years old and he was a beast back then, he was a big right hand puncher, he had never lost at that weight and before and after that fight he wreaked havoc on the division, he just couldn't do much with Jones.

PPVxHOTTY

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:16 pm

Strongback wrote:Nicked this from another site but it makes interesting reading in terms of Mayweathers legacy:

ww 2010

Title Vacant

Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd ??????
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Andre Berto
Miguel Cotto
Shane Mosley
Joshua Clottey
Jan Zaveck
Vyacheslav Senchenko
Rafal Jackiewicz
Timothy Bradley

ww (2009)

Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd ??
Shane Mosley vs Floyd ??
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Miguel Cotto vs Floyd ??
Joshua Clottey
Antonio Margarito
Andre Berto
Luis Collazo
Rafal Jackiewicz
Jan Zaveck

ww 2008

Title Vacant

Miguel Cotto vs Floyd ??
Shane Mosley vs Floyd ??
Joshua Clottey
Manny Pacquiao
Carlos Quintana
Zab Judah
Luis Collazo
Andre Berto
Isaac Hlatshwayo

Welterweights ( 2007)

Miguel Cotto vs Floyd ??
Paul Williams vs Floyd ??
Shane Mosley vs Floyd ??
Zab Judah
Kermit Cintron
Luis Collazo
Joshua Clottey
Jackson Osei Bonsu
Oktay Urkal

Welterweights 2006

Carlos Manuel Baldomir
Miguel Cotto vs Floyd ??
Zab Judah
Luis Collazo
Kermit Cintron
Oktay Urkal
Arturo Gatti
Paul Williams
Joshua Clottey
It certainly makes some interesting reading, why where these fights not made at the time, even though he was no1 in the division why did he never unify? RJJ on the other hand did unify and pretty much cleared out the top 10 at lhw, fought all his mandatories. Only smudge on the record is not fighting DM but DM didn't seem to bothered, he was making good money in Germany, neither it seemed wanted to travel to make the fight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:17 pm

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:The same old problem Jones has two elite wins in Hopkins and Toney plus two very good wins over Hill and McCallum with good wins over the unbeaten Griffin and Gonzalez. Mayweather can't compete against that but he has a plethora of good and very good wins to even up the balance.
Fair comment

Back to top Go down

Post by hogey Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:24 pm

RJJ at his peak was better than Floyd ever was, he was an almost perfect fighting machine.
If he had retired after taking the Heavyweight title instead of winding his career down getting beat by fighters who should not be in the same ring as him then i doubt if many would be rating Floyd over him.
For me RJJ is the best fighter i have seen since Leonard at his best.

hogey

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:51 pm

To all you fools saying Floyd is greater:

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:53 pm

Jones probably the more physically talented. Mayweather, blessed with the ring smarts to balance that out. Floyd has the better legacy, unless he gets starched by canelo, and starched again before he retires. Then it's close.

Agree with earlier comments, jones has the better wins, mayweather the greater volume of good wins, and longevity.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:03 pm

Steffan wrote:To all you fools saying Floyd is greater:

thumbsup 

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:06 pm

milkyboy wrote:Jones probably the more physically talented. Mayweather, blessed with the ring smarts to balance that out. Floyd has the better legacy, unless he gets starched by canelo, and starched again before he retires. Then it's close.

Agree with earlier comments, jones has the better wins, mayweather the greater volume of good wins, and longevity.

Jones middle, light heavy and heavyweight wins will be remembered kindly by history.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:07 pm

Not sure beating Ruiz is all that Mate.........No one remembers Spinks at heavy with any fondness ??????

He's a bottler that quit against Tyson...to most!!

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:19 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Not sure beating Ruiz is all that Mate.........No one remembers Spinks at heavy with any fondness ??????

He's a bottler that quit against Tyson...to most!!
Beating Holmes twice and taking his '0' is up there with any of his achievements.

Makes Jones unique is very few have won from middle to heavy.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:30 pm

You don't get my point........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by YDKSAB Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:31 pm

Jones had TALENT like Mayweather. Hearns had TALENT like Mayweather. Ray Leonard had TALENT like Mayweather. BUT, Mayweather has the SMARTS to go with the TALENT. He is a COMPLETE fighter. Jones could NOT ADAPT. Hearns could NOT BOX SMART like Mayweather. Ray Leonard did NOT know when he was done. ALL are SUPREMELY talented but ONLY Money May is COMPLETE. Mayweather ALWAYS finds a way to in. The others found ways to LOSE. That is why Floyd is GREATER.

YDKSAB

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:38 pm

This guy is only on here when you are STEFFY........

But he is different I'll give you that..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:39 pm

Hearns couldn't box smart?

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:41 pm

YDKSAB wrote:Jones had TALENT like Mayweather. Hearns had TALENT like Mayweather. Ray Leonard had TALENT like Mayweather. BUT, Mayweather has the SMARTS to go with the TALENT. He is a COMPLETE fighter. Jones could NOT ADAPT. Hearns could NOT BOX SMART like Mayweather. Ray Leonard did NOT know when he was done. ALL are SUPREMELY talented but ONLY Money May is COMPLETE. Mayweather ALWAYS finds a way to in. The others found ways to LOSE. That is why Floyd is GREATER.

Would you ever fu*k off ya clown. Laugh 

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:42 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:This guy is only on here when you are STEFFY........

But he is different I'll give you that..
This GUY is NOTHING to do with ME ok Truss SO...erm sorry...I meant this guy is nothing to do with me ok Truss so PIPE it DOWN a BIT...sorry I mean pipe it down a bit please

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:44 pm

I apologise steff........

The milkman was in my bedroom for some reason nine months before both my kids were born...

Probably a coincidence also...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down