The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Manny v Floyd - Last 15 Fights - Whos Record is Best

+13
Colonial Lion
mikeymax71
Atila
licence_007
Fists of Fury
alanqlm
88Chris05
Imperial Ghosty
Valero's Conscience
Scottrf
Waingro
oxring
Steffan
17 posters

Go down

Manny v Floyd - Last 15 Fights - Whos Record is Best Empty Manny v Floyd - Last 15 Fights - Whos Record is Best

Post by Steffan Thu 01 Sep 2011, 8:57 pm

Manny Pacquiao last 15 fights:

Shane Mosley
Antonio Margarito
Joshua Clottey
Miguel Cotto
Ricky Hatton
Oscar De La Hoya
David Diaz
Juan Manuel Marquez
Marco Antonio Barrera
Jorge Solis
Erik Morales
Oscar Larios
Erik Morales
Hector Velazquez
Erik Morales (Lost)

Floyd Mayweather Jr last 15 fights:

Shane Mosley
Juan Manuel Marquez
Ricky Hatton
Oscar De La Hoya
Carlos Manuel Baldomir
Zab Judah
Sharmba Mitchell
Arturo Gatti
Henry Bruseles
DeMarcus Corley
Phillip N'dou
Victoriano Sosa
Jose Luis Castillo
Jose Luis Castillo
Jesus Chavez

Who has got the best record then?

As much as I think Floyd would beat Manny if they met I would have to give the head to head record on last 15 opponents to the Pacman

Regards

Steffan

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Manny v Floyd - Last 15 Fights - Whos Record is Best Empty Re: Manny v Floyd - Last 15 Fights - Whos Record is Best

Post by oxring Fri 02 Sep 2011, 12:24 pm

Manny, simples.

However - Floyd has stepped up to the mark in recent times - Mosley and Ortiz are both good matchups.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Manny v Floyd - Last 15 Fights - Whos Record is Best Empty Re: Manny v Floyd - Last 15 Fights - Whos Record is Best

Post by Waingro Fri 02 Sep 2011, 1:12 pm

Mayweather, he is real quality

Waingro

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Fri 02 Sep 2011, 1:14 pm

Manny by a distance.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Valero's Conscience Fri 02 Sep 2011, 1:54 pm

Manny on paper.

If you were to put an '*' up against their opponents who were widely regarded as past their best, Manny would have far more than Mayweather but still an impressive looking list.

Valero's Conscience

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Fri 02 Sep 2011, 8:06 pm

Mayweather by an absolute mile for me, generally fought fighters who are in better form and condition than Pacquiao.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Fri 02 Sep 2011, 9:15 pm

Pacquiao, at least as far as I'm concerned. Mayweather is turning the tide, mind you. I've been disappointed with Pacquiao over the last couple of years since the Cotto fight which, given the nature of the performance, who he was facing, what weight it was at and what risk it represented, was a significantly better scalp than anything Mayweather has managed in his last fifteen outings.

As much as people don't want to admit it, Pacquiao's downfall has been predicted ahead of two or three of those fights.
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by alanqlm Sat 03 Sep 2011, 12:14 am

Pitting their opponets in corresponding fights, taking into consideration timing etc. Floyd came out on top for me 9-6 though to be fair there were a few tight ones to call.

alanqlm

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 03 Sep 2011, 1:07 am

Pacquaio by a country mile, though at least Floyd is showing signs of wanting to change that now.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 03 Sep 2011, 1:07 am

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Mayweather by an absolute mile for me, generally fought fighters who are in better form and condition than Pacquiao.

Nothing short of tripe, Ghosty, sorry.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by licence_007 Sat 03 Sep 2011, 3:42 am

Think it is pretty close. Generally the shared names were in better form when they fought Floyd, so that has to count for something.

licence_007

Back to top Go down

Post by Atila Sat 03 Sep 2011, 5:51 am

If you're judging the list on marquee appeal, which names are the biggest regardless of whether or not the fighters are at their best, then Pacquiao wins it. He's got the names. But there's a few of his fights recently were you just knew totally who was going to win. Before he fought the second Morales fight, Morales was complaining about how hard it was for him to make 130lbs, he loses and what do they do? Have a third fight ten months later again at 130lbs. Morales didn't stand a chance. Ooops, I also forgot to say that Morales was in the midst of a four fight losing streak.

De La Hoya? This was a pitiful fight from De La Hoya. It was the worst performance I'd seen in a 'big fight' since Ali got pummelled by Holmes. People got all excited and said how much a better job Pacquiao did against Oscar than Floyd did, but Oscar looked terrible and I'm not sure that was all down to Pacquiao. I'll give Pacqiuiao credit for the Cotto win, but that deserves a * next to it due to the stupid catchweight stipulation. Clottey, Margarito and Mosley were all fights were like I said, you just knew who was going to win. All of them had sketchy performances going into their fights against Pacquiao, only one of them was going into their fights with Pacquiao on a win.

Atila

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeymax71 Sat 03 Sep 2011, 10:12 am

Mayweather for me. Manny has beaten too many left overs. The only person you could say that about on Mayweather's CV is Marquez, but that is because Manny ws not keen to fight him again so quickly.

Just because someone is a big name does not neccessarily make it a bigger win. Using Lennox Lewis as an example, Tyson was the biggest name on his CV but Lewis' win over Razor Ruddock was the much bigger win.

Also Manny has used stipulations etc to also improve his chances of victory. Floyd failed to make weight in his fight against JMM and was quite rightly lambasted for it, but deep down he knew he could not make that weight. However, that was one fight, whereas in recent years Manny for me has won most of his fights at the contract signings

mikeymax71

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 03 Sep 2011, 11:35 am

Fists of Fury wrote:
Imperial Ghosty wrote:Mayweather by an absolute mile for me, generally fought fighters who are in better form and condition than Pacquiao.

Nothing short of tripe, Ghosty, sorry.

In what way is it tripe? Mayweather is about to face the 4th fighter ranked 1 or 2 in the division something which far exceeds Pacquiaos record at the weight, beat better fighters at both light middleweight and lightweight to win titles and fought better versions of 3 out of 4 of their mutual opponents.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 03 Sep 2011, 11:40 am

Sorry had had a few beers when I wrote that. Still don't agree with you though.

I think it's far too easy to dismiss a lot of Pacquaio's victories now, when at the time most pundits, including the fans, all thought it was a step too far on quite a few of those occasions.

Floyd has fought a hell of a lot of average Joe's in that list, regardless of where they were ranked at the time (though that isn't his fault if the competition was weak, granted), and I just think the overall quality of Manny's last 15 trumps Floyd's and by some distance.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 03 Sep 2011, 11:48 am

Can't agree, De La Hoya has to be taken in context, he was completely dead at Welterweight so whether it was expected to be a step too far beforehand shouldn't detract from the reality other than that Pacquiao has been expected to beat all of his opposition.

De La Hoya is a far better win at light middleweight than Margarito
Castillo is a far better win at lightweight than Diaz
De La Hoya, Hatton and Mosley were in better form before they fought Mayweather
Their fights at Welterweight are fairly even while Barrera and Morales had name value they were good but not great opposition at the time with Morales being in awful form,

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Sat 03 Sep 2011, 12:01 pm

Not a huge amount in it for me but would lean towards Pacquiao.

The fights between Sosa and Baldomir on Mayweathers lists are not particularly strong. Mayweather timed some of his fights better, such as Mosely and Hatton but I am not really sold that they represented significantly better versions than what faced Pacquiao.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 03 Sep 2011, 12:09 pm

Mosley coming off a win over Margarito is far better than coming off a draw against Mora much like an undefeated Hatton is far better than an obviously vulnerable version of him.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Sat 03 Sep 2011, 12:20 pm

I think Moselys win over Margarito flattered to decieve and I think a more accurte indicator was the Mayorga fight before that where he struggled. The controversy surrounding the Margarito fight means its hard to judge what kind of condition Margarito was in mentally.

The Hatton fight can be argued both ways. Mayweather fought him at 147 where Hatton had never impressed. Pacquiao demolished him much more impressively at his more natural 140 weight. Hatton was coming off one of his best career wins against Malinaggi where he had looked impressive so Idont believe he was shot.

Either way, I dont thinks theres a massive amount in it. The Mosely that fought both guys i think was about equal in ability and level of deterioration. Hatton might have been more confident for the Mayweather fight but this could be offset by the weight it took place at and the fact Pacquiao beat him much more impressively.

Outside of that I consider it reasonably marginal but edge towards Pacquiao as the slightly higher level of calibre overall.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Sat 03 Sep 2011, 12:23 pm

Imperial Ghosty wrote:Mosley coming off a win over Margarito is far better than coming off a draw against Mora much like an undefeated Hatton is far better than an obviously vulnerable version of him.

Don't mention the fact that the fight was at 147 where Hatton had never exactly impressed, then. Pacquaio beat him at his natural weight, after a good win over Malignaggi where Hatton looked better than he had for years, and disposed of him in emphatic style, in comparison to Mayweather's tentative start before dismantling him later on.

The Hatton fight is in Manny's favour, for sure.

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 03 Sep 2011, 12:26 pm

Were Hatton fighting a big Welterweight then the weight may be an issue but he still outweighed Mayweather on fight night so do regard it as a better win. If we are to assess Mosley based on the Mayorga fight then surely we assess Hatton based on the Lazcano fight where he looked far more vulnerable than he had at any point during his career.

The Mosley that fought Pacquiao had the extra baggage of being poor against Mora and being dominated by Mayweather for 11 rounds much in the same way that Hatton also had that against Pacquiao but not Mayweather, for the old timers these things are less of an issue but when you're only fighting 40/50 times in a career then 2 fights can make all the difference.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Sat 03 Sep 2011, 12:41 pm

You could point to the Lazcano fight but I think too much was made of it. He won almost every round for me and while he did caught on occasion its pretty much part and parcel of Hattons style and I cant say that its anything new even if we go back to his domestic scraps with the likes of Thaxton and Magee. He was alos, reportadly, suffering from a dose of flu for some of the training camp which may/may not have had an effect.

I would agree with you on Mosely that on paper the version that Mayweather bet was better, but in reality I dont think there was much difference in the two versions beaten. Both were past his best by a fair distance and neither version was really a threat.

Dont have any problem with people opting for Mayweather but I think the calibre of opponent on paper slightly favours Pacquiao overall. If I had to pinpoint it, it would probably be the Barrera/Marquez fights that make the difference for me.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 03 Sep 2011, 12:45 pm

On paper Mayweather also has Marquez but you do think you have to look into things a bit further at which point you realise that he wasn't the man he was against Pacquiao while the Lazcano fight showed that Hattons punch resistance was diminishing, without that he's half the fighter he was before.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonial Lion Sat 03 Sep 2011, 1:02 pm

Well you could go all the way back to Eamonn Magee to point at Hattons punch resistance. Hes been hurt and wobbled in plenty of his fights so Im not inclined to draw too much out of the Lazcano fight.

You may aswell say that Hattons only performance at 147 prior to Mayweather was a sluggish win over Collazo where he was all over the place and given his style relies on bullying and pressure hes nowhere near as formidable at 147 as opposed to 140.

At the end of the day I dont think theres much in it and regardless of what how badly Hatton was diminished he or what weights he fought either at the liklihoof is the outcomes would be similar.

Its not the Hatton fight that makes the difference for me, I think its the the bracket between Sosa and Baldomir for Mayweather, none of whom were particular quality fighters.

Colonial Lion

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 03 Sep 2011, 1:58 pm

i would give manny 7 great fights and mayweather 5. included in mannys 7 is the loss to morales, but i think that fight was at an intensity that mayweather rarely if ever has had to fight at, so dont hold it against him, a 12 round fight that is non stop all the way through is more impressive to me than a easy win over decent opposition (say gatti for example). also i would say mosley's condition was about the same for both fights, but he came to win against floyd and just turned up for the paycheck against manny, so didnt count that as a great win for manny. i think ortiz is a decent fight for mayweather but no where near as good as some make out, he doesnt have that many good wins himself, and the maidana fight showed a side to him that i didnt like. also his style is tailor made for floyd, and im sure that was a big factor in taking the fight.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 03 Sep 2011, 2:07 pm

Everyone has a style tailor made for Mayweather which is the problem.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 03 Sep 2011, 2:28 pm

i dont think everyone has a style made for mayweather, judah showed that a quick counter puncher can be affective against him, the only problem is mayweathers adaptability, he works opponents out and then changes his strategy as needed. it would take someone who is quick, accurate AND equally adaptable to beat him, and i dont think there is anyone who can do that at the moment.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 03 Sep 2011, 2:32 pm

Judah showed that it took Mayweather a couple of rounds to adapt to the southpaw stance after which he dominated from the 5th round onwards, too much is made of the first 3/4 rounds of that fight.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 03 Sep 2011, 2:37 pm

i dont think it was his stance, i think he was just beat to the punch, say he won the first 4 rounds, if he could have change style and nicked another 3 rounds he could have won, i know that is a very big ask, and would take someone with a skill set that nobody has shown as yet, but its not beyond the realms of possibilty. the only other way i see someone winning him is via a KO, and he's been in with a few punchers and no (barring mosley breifly) have looked like doing that.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Imperial Ghosty Sat 03 Sep 2011, 2:48 pm

He didn't win the first 4 rounds though which is the problem, Judah won 2 or 3 of the first before also winning the 12th when Mayweather started clowning about, he was beaten to the punch because it took him time to react to the southpaw stance, once he'd figured it out he could counter and lead at will.

Imperial Ghosty

Back to top Go down

Post by eddyfightfan Sat 03 Sep 2011, 7:42 pm

i had him winning them, but okay can accept that other people can see it differently, but the main point stands, to have any hope of beating floyd you need a gameplan than keeps changing. floyd will figure anyone out if they only use one strategy and are unable to get the KO.

eddyfightfan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sun 04 Sep 2011, 12:52 pm

Fists of Fury wrote:Sorry had had a few beers when I wrote that

A mod/admin drinking on the job

Tut tut

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob Sun 04 Sep 2011, 2:28 pm

Steffan wrote:
Fists of Fury wrote:Sorry had had a few beers when I wrote that

A mod/admin drinking on the job

Explains quite a bit.....

Bob

Back to top Go down

Post by Jimmy Moz Sun 04 Sep 2011, 4:26 pm

Manny's record is better by far IMO.

Jimmy Moz

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Mon 05 Sep 2011, 12:01 pm

Floyd for me. To many of Manny's wins could have an asterix next to them. His wins over DLH, Hatton and Mosely do not compare to Floyd's. He lost to Marquez twice and has fought to many plodders to be considered to have a better record.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down