The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Your 606 Alias

+34
Izzi
compelling and rich
spencerclarke
TheMarvelousOne
Il Gialloblu
jbeadlesbigrighthand
Lance
Lumbering_Jack
The Boss
Strongback
milkyboy
Eyetoldyouso
The Terror of Tylorstown
Fists of Fury
Steffan
JabMachineMK2
Group Cpt Lionel Mandrake
huw
KingMonkey
superflyweight
Union Cane
ONETWOFOREVER
joeyjojo618
TopHat24/7
Valero's Conscience
J.Benson II
TRUSSMAN66
rIck_dAgless
seanmichaels
Rowley
Scottrff
88Chris05
Mind the windows Tino.
mobilemaster8
38 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Your 606 Alias - Page 4 Empty Your 606 Alias

Post by mobilemaster8 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 12:19 pm

First topic message reminder :

Just a quick on to find out more about the 606 fans.

Why have you nicknamed yourself what you have done already and is there specific reasons behind it?

For example, im mobilemaster8.

I went with this as im a Sales Account Manager and have worked in mobiles and telecommunications for a while now and seem to be very good....okay reasonably good at it hence the phrase Mobile and Master. The 8 is my favourite and lucky number i suppose.

Over to you.

i see some funny names and mysterious ones but want to know more about the man behind the mask!

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Your 606 Alias - Page 4 Empty Re: Your 606 Alias

Post by Guest Tue 10 Sep 2013, 5:40 pm

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
DAVE667 wrote:
mobilemaster8 wrote:Really Jab?? I disagree and i studied music at degree level and have played to a high standard the Piano and Violin.

I disagree unfortunately, i have seen plenty of heavy metal and maybe a minority have feeling in the song.
Get hold of some stuff by Hour of Penance, Obscura or The Faceless and tell me whether or not their compostions lack complexity. Irrespective of whether or not you actually like it, take an objective view and let me know if One Direction, Mumford and Sons or any other high profile bands/groups are writing anything with that degree of musicianship or difficulty.

If you don't fancy any of those acts, check out the "Symbolic" CD by Death. A friend of mine asked his music teacher to write out a couple of the guitar tracks for him to copy and his teacher was amazed at the level of technical ability that was present.
I think the Human album is a better example of deaths technicality, having Schuldiner and Masvidal on one album is a death metal fans dream, it didn't spawn the whole technical progressive death metal scene for no reason. Focus by Cynic is another good example with Masvidal again. Heavy metal in general isn't overly technical but bands like Black Sabbath, Death, Meshuggah have the musical ability to match anyone that isn't involved in Jazz. Not my cup of tea but Kind Of Blue by Miles Davis jnr highlights the massive gulf between jazz and everything else.
Possibly but it's horses for courses I suppose. I'm a big fan of Gene Hoglan (whose "Dark Angel" stuff is cruelly under-rated) so Symbolic is perhaps my fave Death album but I won't put up too much argument about whether or not the others are "technically" better or more complex. Some of Brann Dailor's drumming on Mastodon's "Remission" CD is very jazz-influenced and I think he's superb. Watching him live is a joy to behold.
Sound of perseverance is probably my favourite Death album purely for Spirit Crusher, Story To Tell and The Flesh and the power it holds but it's a bit too mainstream to be considered a Death classic. Not sure where to stand on Dark Angel aside from Black Prophecies have never been able to listen to a whole song without getting bored, a severely over rated band as far as i'm concerned. The most technical metal musicians do tend to be the drummers, Bonham and Bill Ward were both Jazz drummers. Mastodon have Leviathan and not a lot else.
Blasphemy, "Time Does Not Heal" is a brilliant album. Think "Leave Scars" suffers from a poor sound but the meat and bones of some great songs are there.
We'll have to disagree on Mastodon as well I fear. Lifesblood and Remission are fine albums too. Plenty of bands who went out of their way to "imitate" that sound and style. They've become very mainstream but then I did see them play in front of about 25 brave souls when they supported High on Fire and like to think I saw them before many other people were interested.

However, I believe we're singing from the same hymn sheet when we say that the very best examples of metal music contains a great deal of musicianship and technical ability (however Nickleback are always going to sell more records...it doesn't make 'em any good)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue 10 Sep 2013, 5:40 pm

Stone Sour aren't really Heavy Metal they're more hard rock but I agree with the general premise, I always consider screamo to be more pop than metal, bands like My Chemical Romance don't deserve the metal label.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Sep 2013, 5:48 pm

JabMachineMK2 wrote:I only saw your post because of the quote Lumbering so I won't linger on that.

Think you're completely misinterpreting "Heavy metal" to be "death" metal or one of its other subsidiaries like "black metal" or "screamo"

Go and listen to Stone Sour and come back. You'll find that 90% of heavy metal enthusiasts have listened or do listen to every single type of music and attempt to appreciate it. You'll find that very small percentages of people who like "pop" music even try to understand or appreciate other genres. Guilty pleasures for example, I like 80's electro, I like some dance musci, I like dubstep, I like Jazz, classical - all sorts. Usually however you speak to someone who lists "Bruno Mars" as their favorite artist and they'll listen to pretty much nothing outside of Rihanna, Jaz-Z, Avcii, Skrillex, Kings of Leon etc etc.
You dissing the Bruno jabby? That's fighting talk, and I for one don't care how many people you've dropped in sparring this week.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue 10 Sep 2013, 5:48 pm

Bill Steers work on the early Carcass albums is also very under rated, so much depth and layers to each song but a lot of that gets lost behind Walkers growl. The problem that death metal and it's variants have is it's accessibility, Heartwork is a better technically than say Swansong but it's nowhere near as easy to listen to, heartwork the song is in my opinion the greatest extreme metal song there is, complexity of music and lyrics.

You should give Enochian Theory a listen Dave, a very good progressive band from Portsmouth, they've been hailed by Bruce Dickinson for years now.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Sep 2013, 5:54 pm

Speaking of prog...mobile, check out Opeth. When it's done well, some of their stuff is tremendous. Suffers from a bit of self indulgence at times but still damn fine stuff.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 5:59 pm

All these bands I've never heard of...and never want to..

I'll stick with the clash, The who, Jefferson Airplane, Pink Floyd. The boss and deep purple...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by jbeadlesbigrighthand Tue 10 Sep 2013, 6:01 pm

seanmichaels wrote:I want to hear from jbeadlesbigrighthand on this thread.
Well, since you asked so nicely...

Jeremy Beadle had a big right hand. Okay, it may have been the left and technically it may have been one small hand rather than one big hand, but that's the gist of my name.

If you'd like a more in-depth analysis, my first post was on the boxing board, so I thought a boxing related moniker would fit the bill. Having, as I do, a rather juvenile sense of humour, I have always found amusing the thought of someone commentating on a fight featuring Jeremy Beadle.

On a related note, many moons ago, I was sitting in the library at University (back when you had to go to the library or the computer room because hardly anyone had their own PC), and someone, somehow, managed to send a pop-up message to every computer on the network containing the joke about Jeremy Beadle having a small p*nis. To this day, I have no idea how they did it, or if they got away with it, but I still chuckle when I think about that.

jbeadlesbigrighthand

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue 10 Sep 2013, 6:06 pm

DAVE667 wrote:Speaking of prog...mobile, check out Opeth. When it's done well, some of their stuff is tremendous. Suffers from a bit of self indulgence at times but still damn fine stuff.
Fabulous band, they do go on a bit but they're one of the few bands who do it well, by the pain I see in others has so many changes it's like two or three songs in one.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Il Gialloblu Tue 10 Sep 2013, 6:11 pm

jbeadlesbigrighthand wrote:
On a related note, many moons ago, I was sitting in the library at University (back when you had to go to the library or the computer room because hardly anyone had their own PC), and someone, somehow, managed to send a pop-up message to every computer on the network containing the joke about Jeremy Beadle having a small p*nis. To this day, I have no idea how they did it, or if they got away with it, but I still chuckle when I think about that.

https://www.606v2.com/t46-your-fave-hand#114116
Il Gialloblu
Il Gialloblu

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMarvelousOne Tue 10 Sep 2013, 6:40 pm

Mines a nod to one of my favourite boxers, a certain Mr Hagler

TheMarvelousOne

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 10 Sep 2013, 6:58 pm

Tumbling Dice is a great song and made a better name than 'it's raining men'.

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 10 Sep 2013, 6:59 pm

Came up with mine as a pseudonym when writing stories as a kid and through college

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 10 Sep 2013, 7:05 pm

compelling and rich is a quote from anchorman, referring to a water skiing squirrel, anchorman being a favourite in our uni house at the time we started referring to anything a bit rubbish and opposite of the saying as "compelling and rich", thought it would suit my posts quite well

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by compelling and rich Tue 10 Sep 2013, 7:07 pm

compelling and rich wrote:compelling and rich is a quote from anchorman, referring to a water skiing squirrel, anchorman being a favourite in our uni house at the time we started referring to anything a bit rubbish and opposite of the saying as "compelling and rich", thought it would suit my posts quite well
although i am currently winning the culture cup so raspberry raspberry 

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 10 Sep 2013, 7:39 pm

By the way does anyone know what happened to Kev? Also known as sugar ray russell

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Tue 10 Sep 2013, 8:06 pm

spencerclarke wrote:By the way does anyone know what happened to Kev? Also known as sugar ray russell
Wasn't he a Glaswegian? Probably in jail.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 10 Sep 2013, 8:07 pm

Hahahaha harsh! Funny though!

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Tue 10 Sep 2013, 8:39 pm

Izzi isn't my bedroom thong wearing, bra snorting psedonym. Honest.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Sep 2013, 8:40 pm

He was a good lad Kev. Recall him saying that he was a self made man who'd made a few bob ... legally. Think he patented deep fried mars bars.

I suspect he is sunning himself on a Caribbean beach surrounded by hordes of naked lovelies, wondering where it all went wrong.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Tue 10 Sep 2013, 9:33 pm

Thought PBK ran a landscape gardening business, I think.

Good lad, knews his onions, especially re the little'uns.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Sep 2013, 9:54 pm

There you have it... A gardener who knew his onions. You're cooking tonight toppy.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:01 pm

Isnt he the guy who threatened to beat someone to death because he'd laughed at him for not knowing who isaac newton was

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by spencerclarke Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:02 pm

Shah I vaguely remember that. Who was that?

spencerclarke

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:05 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Isnt he the guy who threatened to beat someone to death because he'd laughed at him for not knowing who isaac newton was
Ah yes I believe I remember that, well who the hell hasn't heard of Isaac Newton?

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:06 pm

I imagine I would laugh at him for not knowing Isaac Newton, and if he threatened me that would explain his disappearance.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:08 pm

... Think he was just a bit embarrassed... Fancy not knowing the guy who invented the telephone

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:10 pm

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Adam D Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:11 pm

ShahenshahG wrote:Isnt he the guy who threatened to beat someone to death because he'd laughed at him for not knowing who isaac newton was
Ah yes I believe I remember that, well who the hell hasn't heard of Isaac Newton?
I wouldnt recognise Isaac Newton if he fell out of a tree and landed on me.

Adam D
Founder
Founder

http://www.v2journal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:12 pm

Adam someone of your age must have an old bank note lying about somewhere with his face on it.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:14 pm

He advocated not knowing who Isaac Newton was (fought Bellew to a draw, what sort of boxing fan doesn't know that?) by saying he was in his twenties and had retired wealthily, so he didn't need to "know" things.

Anyway mine's just my name.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:15 pm

'History is not my strong point' is quite a good line if he was joking.

'I won't be looking him up either it's not like he invented anything.' is just ignorant though. We'd all be floating if he didn't invent gravity.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:18 pm

Call me pompous but I don't know how anyone can survive past their teens and not know who Newton is, it's primary school stuff, I think he was playing up to his self made man spiel personally.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by jimdig Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:31 pm

A gardener who doesn't know about the most famous guy to sit under an apple tree.

Jimdig - short for my name jim diggler.

jimdig

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:32 pm

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:Call me pompous but I don't know how anyone can survive past their teens and not know who Newton is, it's primary school stuff, I think he was playing up to his self made man spiel personally.
Most of today's youth wouldn't for starters. Saying that, if you asked the degenerates who was Churchill they'd probably answer with the dog off the tv ad

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrff Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:44 pm

Izzi wrote:Most of today's youth wouldn't for starters.
I don't believe that for a second.

Scottrff

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Tue 10 Sep 2013, 10:49 pm

Scottrff wrote:
Izzi wrote:Most of today's youth wouldn't for starters.
I don't believe that for a second.
Part of the Jeremy Kyle brigade then.

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Tue 10 Sep 2013, 11:43 pm

Youth and stupidity are not the same.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 9:30 am

Yeh, that wasn't his finest moment sadly....

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Wed 11 Sep 2013, 9:31 am

milkyboy wrote:... Think he was just a bit embarrassed... Fancy not knowing the guy who invented the telephone
Laugh clap 

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4