The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HEC dead

+83
hawalsh
stub
alcoombe
The Great Aukster
markb
Kingshu
butterfingers
rosbif
propdavid_london
Casartelli
monwy
Steffan
GunsGerms
Rugby Fan
trebellbobaggins
2ndtimeround
nth
gelodge
ME-109
doddieman
bedfordwelsh
Totalflanker
ChequeredJersey
allyt2k
Big
lostinwales
Tattie Scones RRN
SecretFly
the-goon
funnyExiledScot
Cyril
Intotouch
blackcanelion
munkian
brennomac
ScarletSpiderman
Pete330v2
fa0019
Toohey
Irish Londoner
Mickado
tomhughesnice
Biltong
Welshmushroom
Scarpia
Scrumpy
XR
maestegmafia
Toadfish
Luckless Pedestrian
BigTrevsbigmac
Exiledinborders
wolfball
bsando
broadlandboy
Standulstermen
beshocked
whocares
The Saint
Hood83
wayne
Feckless Rogue
GLove39
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
formerly known as Sam
Poorfour
toml
LordDowlais
thebandwagonsociety
LeinsterFan4life
Dubbelyew L Overate
Portnoy's Complaint
wales606
profitius
Artful_Dodger
nathan
LondonTiger
IanBru
Brendan
Notch
Student-A1
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
justified sinner
87 posters

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down

HEC dead - Page 16 Empty HEC dead

Post by justified sinner Tue 10 Sep 2013, 5:32 pm

First topic message reminder :

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/mobile/news/28786.php

At least until ERC and the IRB tell them they're ultra vires.

Interesting times.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

HEC dead - Page 16 Empty Re: HEC dead

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 12:04 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
whocares wrote:GG, there are governance issues according to french clubs at least...number 1) being that ERC is based in Dublin and mainly run by pro celts folks (and dont mention that puppet JP Lux), 2) the discipline commission is biaised and 3) "ERC limited" accounts are not exactly a model of transparency...
their assesment might not be fair but if the ERC disapear they would probably not drop a tear.
What do you mean by 'pro celts folk', and how do you know this is true? Why is there a problem with ERC based in Dublin? What would you suggest? A new competition based in London run mainly by pro PRL/LNR folk?
Come on Munkain, even Welsh fans have often questioned the ERC decisions on banning players etc, and it does seem sometimes that certain nations get and easier ride than others.  I can understand the French wondering why the ERC HQ is in a country that has half the amount of teams in it as the French do.
Munkain? Welsh fans questions everything. It's a national pastime. I don't know, but I would think the reason that ERC is based in Dublin is down to tax reasons. There's quite a few big names based in Ireland for that very reason.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 12:35 pm

whocares wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
whocares wrote:GG, there are governance issues according to french clubs at least...number 1) being that ERC is based in Dublin and mainly run by pro celts folks (and dont mention that puppet JP Lux), 2) the discipline commission is biaised and 3) "ERC limited" accounts are not exactly a model of transparency...
their assesment might not be fair but if the ERC disapear they would probably not drop a tear.
What do you mean by 'pro celts folk', and how do you know this is true? Why is there a problem with ERC based in Dublin? What would you suggest? A new competition based in London run mainly by pro PRL/LNR folk?
Come on Munkain, even Welsh fans have often questioned the ERC decisions on banning players etc, and it does seem sometimes that certain nations get and easier ride than others.  I can understand the French wondering why the ERC HQ is in a country that has half the amount of teams in it as the French do.
besides this is not my own opinion. however it seems to be the french clubs and often media one! never said all of this is true and am not suggesting that something based in London or Paris would be better. why do you think soccer governing bodies are based in switzerland (appart from tax optimisation obviously).
But is it an opinion based in fact? You agree that you don't know. That's the problem, isn't it? In the absence of factual information conspiracy theories abound, and the media manipulated to shape the thinking of its naive, or willing, recipients, in keeping with whatever worldview they already hold.
As for Switzerland. Are you thinking neutral ground? I think 'tax', and no other reason, although skiing is obviously an added bonus.

Back to top Go down

Post by desi Fri 13 Sep 2013, 12:53 pm

The outrageous 70 weeks ban for David Attoub, perhaps?
Generally speaking, it's a common law/roman law problem. The "impressionist" (arbitrary) level of punishment from common law judges is difficult to understand for roman lawyers, who work with a clear punishment ladder. So yes, there is a problem, but not in the sense of a conspiracy, but in the sense of legitimacy and decision-making process.

Last edited by desi on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

desi

Back to top Go down

Post by whocares Fri 13 Sep 2013, 12:57 pm

Munchkin wrote:
whocares wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
besides this is not my own opinion. however it seems to be the french clubs and often media one! never said all of this is true and am not suggesting that something based in London or Paris would be better. why do you think soccer governing bodies are based in switzerland (appart from tax optimisation obviously).
But is it an opinion based in fact? You agree that you don't know. That's the problem, isn't it? In the absence of factual information conspiracy theories abound, and the media manipulated to shape the thinking of its naive, or willing, recipients, in keeping with whatever worldview they already hold.
As for Switzerland. Are you thinking neutral ground? I think 'tax', and no other reason, although skiing is obviously an added bonus.
well am not part of the ERC and neither you are (or are you ?? Smile ) so yes I agree that everything am saying is just a mix of assumptions and hear say at this stage. however I was just relaying french club (and sometimes french fans and medias) complaints and sentiment which is probably biaised anyway. wether or not their opinion is based or facts or some weird anti french conspiracy theory is not really the important thing here. what matters is that they seem to hold some grief towards the ERC as a body and they might act accordingly unless those so called issues gets properly clarified and/or dismissed.
and yeah I was thinking neutral ground but the more I think about it , ski, chocolate and dodgy bank accounts more than help as well.

whocares

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 13 Sep 2013, 1:14 pm

desi wrote:The outrageous 70 weeks ban for David Attoub, perhaps?
Generally speaking, it's a common law/roman law problem. The "impressionist" (arbitrary) level of punishment from common law judges is difficult to understand for roman lawyers, who work with a clear punishment ladder. So yes, there is a problem, but not in the sense of a conspiracy, but in the sense of legitimacy and decision-making process.
Outrageous ban for trying to blind someone. Doh 

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by desi Fri 13 Sep 2013, 1:24 pm

That eye-gouging has to be punished is not the issue, we all agree on that.
The issue here is Attoub received a punishment so harsh that he can't be compared to any other precedent. Many players, guilty of the same offence, received 8 or 12 weeks. How do you explain that??? This huge gap between similar cases is incomprehensible (at best), dubious (at worst).

But of course, Patrick Vieira is a wild dangerous guy and Roy Keane, a manly but straightforward player. No comparison between them.

Look, I don't intend to stir things up on this, just trying to give it a wider perspective.

Last edited by desi on Fri 13 Sep 2013, 1:32 pm; edited 3 times in total

desi

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri 13 Sep 2013, 1:28 pm

Munchkin - sorry about getting the name wrong, lord only knows how I managed that one Doh 
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 1:48 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:Munchkin - sorry about getting the name wrong, lord only knows how I managed that one Doh 
No worries. It's so easy to do as the names are very similar. I have confused myself with the names in the past Erm 

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Fri 13 Sep 2013, 1:54 pm

Munchkin wrote:
Big wrote:Thanks for putting that up Toadfish.  I had read a number of years ago that the HEC was making less per match than the Powergen Cup (as was).  Interesting to see from someone who is presumably relatively well connected that it's still generating stuff all.  The heineken cup should be making more per match than any other NH club/regional competition.  That it isn't suggests very strongly that it is still being undersold - whether that's because certain organisations are too friendly, or because they are just incompetent at marketing the event I don't know.  I can't see why the Rabo fans aren't up in arms about this (especially supporters of cash strapped Welsh and Scottish regions).  I can see both sides of the argument when it comes to qualification and structure, but on this point surely there is no doubt that ERC have failed and need to be brought to task.
From what I understand under the PRL proposal for any new competition the financial gain for the Celts, and Italians wouldn't be much more than they are getting now.

I do take your point on the HEC possibly being undersold though, and think that is something that should be questioned. Personally, if more money was made available I would like to see it go into a pot to help develop rugby union in other European countries such as Spain.
You are right, Munchkin. The English are not currently proposing a big increase for the Celtic clubs. That is because the Celtic clubs currently get far more per team than the English and French, and most of the additional cash is going to redress that gap so that all the teams in the competition get roughly the same amount.

The "per team" bit is important, because it's the teams that compete and cost money to run, and it isn't right that there should be such a huge differential at the team level. Which said, I imagine the Rabo unions or teams could negotiate a bit more of the pot, especially if a) they were able to bring more revenue to the table themselves and b) they negotiated. There's no real evidence of either a) or b) right now.

Are the PRL only interested in money? Actually, I don't think they are. I think they are interested in professional rugby. Sadly, in order for professional rugby to happen, there has to be money (there's a clue in the "professional") bit, preferably enough to make a profit that could be reinvested in the game. The current ERC setup means that the most prestigious and lucrative competition in the NH pays the PRL's (and LNR's) members less than either of their other competitions. That is a ludicrous position and one of the things they want to rectify.

If clubs are profitable but their owners are not investing in them, you can fairly accuse them of profiteering. But while they are trying to make the club profitable - and therefore sustainable - they are by definition investing in rugby.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by bmcr Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:01 pm

Munchkin wrote:
whocares wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
In relation to the transparency of the accounts point above i had a look and by Irish standards they do give a fair amount of information. One interesting point is the ownership of the company. THe unions in Ireland, England, Wales, Scotland and Italy each own 16.66% of the company. The French RFU own 8.66% and Ligue Nationale de Rugby (whom i presume are the representatives of the T14) own 8%. It is interesting that the PRL do not own any of the company. Maybe this is part of the reason they are looking for a change

bmcr

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:13 pm

"You are right, Munchkin. The English are not currently proposing a big increase for the Celtic clubs. That is because the Celtic clubs currently get far more per team than the English and French, and most of the additional cash is going to redress that gap so that all the teams in the competition get roughly the same amount.

The "per team" bit is important, because it's the teams that compete and cost money to run, and it isn't right that there should be such a huge differential at the team level. Which said, I imagine the Rabo unions or teams could negotiate a bit more of the pot, especially if a) they were able to bring more revenue to the table themselves and b) they negotiated. There's no real evidence of either a) or b) right now.

Are the PRL only interested in money? Actually, I don't think they are. I think they are interested in professional rugby. Sadly, in order for professional rugby to happen, there has to be money (there's a clue in the "professional") bit, preferably enough to make a profit that could be reinvested in the game. The current ERC setup means that the most prestigious and lucrative competition in the NH pays the PRL's (and LNR's) members less than either of their other competitions. That is a ludicrous position and one of the things they want to rectify.

If clubs are profitable but their owners are not investing in them, you can fairly accuse them of profiteering. But while they are trying to make the club profitable - and therefore sustainable - they are by definition investing in rugby."

The counter to that is the PRL, and LNR, get almost twice as much per Union than those in the Rabo. Also, if my understanding is correct, the PRL divide their HEC share equally amongst the 12 PRL teams. That's their choice, but why should their choice on how they allocate funds be to the detriment on the other Unions? So then, if PRL decide to expand their league, say from 12 to 14 clubs, should the Rabo Unions take a cut in HEC gains to help facilitate any PRL expansion? If not, why not?

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:23 pm

Munchkin wrote:"You are right, Munchkin. The English are not currently proposing a big increase for the Celtic clubs. That is because the Celtic clubs currently get far more per team than the English and French, and most of the additional cash is going to redress that gap so that all the teams in the competition get roughly the same amount.

If clubs are profitable but their owners are not investing in them, you can fairly accuse them of profiteering. But while they are trying to make the club profitable - and therefore sustainable - they are by definition investing in rugby."

The counter to that is the PRL, and LNR, get almost twice as much per Union than those in the Rabo. Also, if my understanding is correct, the PRL divide their HEC share equally amongst the 12 PRL teams. That's their choice, but why should their choice on how they allocate funds be to the detriment on the other Unions? So then, if PRL decide to expand their league, say from 12 to 14 clubs, should the Rabo Unions take a cut in HEC gains to help facilitate any PRL expansion? If not, why not?
This is the relevant point here. If the PRL were saying lets redistribute the current funds meaning that Rabo teams would end up with less I'd understand. However from my understanding they have been proactive, gone out and sourced additional revenue that means that the funds can be reallocated so that all teams get the same level of funding without anyone having to take a reduction at all. This has to be the epitome of fair where a Treviso gets exactly the same amount of money to try and compete as a Bath or the Dragons. The way you read things on here makes it sounds like the PRL are trying to take money away from the Rabo teams and this isn't the case (if what has been disclosed in the media is correct).

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:25 pm

There are 2 competitions run by ERC not just the HEC. Just because the RABO Unions get at least 3/4 of their top tier teams into the HEC doesn't mean that the AMLIN deserve recognition

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:39 pm

Word finally comes from the former chairman of the RFU, last we heard they considered that the PRLs actions were illegal and Bill Beaumont was chatting to club owners to try and resolve the situation.

Martyn Thomas, former chairman of the RFU

"There's a contractual obligation there that the RFU can enforce," he claimed.
"It not only provides that they will play in Europe to the end of the season 2014-2015, it also provides that they will play in no other professional competitions."

"The ERC (European Rugby Cup) agreement was signed, and it was signed subsequently to an agreement that the RFU and PRL [Premier Rugby Ltd] and each individual club entered into and that was in 2007.
"One of the terms of the agreement was that the Premiership clubs would remain playing in Europe until the end of that agreement with the RFU.

"The RFU have got to stand up and be counted, it's not a popularity competition being at the RFU."
Thomas also expects the French Rugby Federation and International Rugby Board to block any move to form a new tournament.

"The clubs in England require the consent of their union, the teams in France require the consent of their union," he said.
"Pierre Camou is probably one of the strongest presidents in world rugby - he is a tough guy.
"Also, because it's a cross border they require the consent of the IRB and they have a French chairman in Bernard Lapasset.
"There is no way that those two Frenchmen are going to give consent for this to occur."

Last edited by ScarletSpiderman on Mon 16 Sep 2013, 9:12 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Word finally comes from the RFU - changed to - Word finally comes from the former chairman of the RFU)

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Toadfish Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:45 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Word finally comes from the RFU, last we heard they considered that the PRLs actions were illegal and Bill Beaumont was chattin to club owners to try and resolve the situation.

"It not only provides that they will play in Europe to the end of the season 2014-2015, it also provides that they will play in no other professional competitions."

"The ERC (European Rugby Cup) agreement was signed, and it was signed subsequently to an agreement that the RFU and PRL [Premier Rugby Ltd] and each individual club entered into and that was in 2007.
"One of the terms of the agreement was that the Premiership clubs would remain playing in Europe until the end of that agreement with the RFU.

"The RFU have got to stand up and be counted, it's not a popularity competition being at the RFU."
Thomas also expects the French Rugby Federation and International Rugby Board to block any move to form a new tournament.

"The clubs in England require the consent of their union, the teams in France require the consent of their union," he said.
"Pierre Camou is probably one of the strongest presidents in world rugby - he is a tough guy.
"Also, because it's a cross border they require the consent of the IRB and they have a French chairman in Bernard Lapasset.
"There is no way that those two Frenchmen are going to give consent for this to occur."
Please correct your statement here. Word has not 'finally come from the RFU' when you are quoting someone who used to work for the RFU.

Toadfish

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 13 Sep 2013, 2:53 pm

Toadfish wrote:
Please correct your statement here.  Word has not 'finally come from the RFU' when you are quoting someone who used to work for the RFU.
No

Martyn Thomas was Chairman when the PRL signed the deal. I said above he was a former chairman. There is nothing wrong, untrue or misleading in my post...!!!

Thank god he stepped forward to tell us all why the PRL are full of poppycock, trying to act illegally and hopefully will help this all get resolved so us fans can get on with enjoying European rugby in all its glory as soon as possible for another few years.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:04 pm

desi wrote:That eye-gouging has to be punished is not the issue, we all agree on that.
The issue here is Attoub received a punishment so harsh that he can't be compared to any other precedent. Many players, guilty of the same offence, received 8 or 12 weeks. How do you explain that??? This huge gap between similar cases is incomprehensible (at best), dubious (at worst).

But of course, Patrick Vieira is a wild dangerous guy and Roy Keane, a manly but straightforward player. No comparison between them.

Look, I don't intend to stir things up on this, just trying to give it a wider perspective.
Attoub's ban may not have been fair but its bananas to suggest that he got that ban because the ERC office was in Dublin. I think they were trying to make an example of Attoub. This may not have been fair.

The judicial officer Jeff Blackett in this case said:

"This is the worst act of contact with the eyes that I have had to deal with - it is a case of deliberate eye gouging which caused significant distress and some injury to the victim.

"The sanction must be such to make other players stop and think before someone suffers a really serious eye injury."

The length of punishment was also increased because Attoub refused to acknowledge that his finger was in Ferris' eye despite there being clear vido and photographic evidence:

"When he was shown the incriminating photographs and asked to explain what he saw or what was happening he replied that he did not know. He refused to accept the possibility that his finger was in the eye.

"It was this evasiveness which satisfied me that his account was less than truthful and that he knew that he had deliberately attacked the eyes of an opponent but was trying to evade responsibility."

It also didnt help that Attoubs ban came after the '09 Lions tour during which there was a lot of focus on gouging after Bergers effort on Fitzgerald.

It isnt the longest ban for a gouge though in HCup histroy it is the second longest.

The judicial officer Jeff Blacket is British not Irish

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:15 pm

Thomas was bit of a plonker when he was RFU chairman. On this occasion the Welsh farmer (or a farmer of Welsh land - or both) seems to forget that the agreement that English clubs should be bound to play only in the HEC. Surely (maybe - and definitely would be maybe if Williams put his full ability to it) with the 2007 accord, their commitment should lapse.

Nobody would be stupid enough (apart from poiticians) to sign a time-bound agreement which commits in perpetuity. Would they?

OK. Well apart from the RFU and their even more stupid counterparts at the PRL.

Interesting post fro Brian Moore when he (MT) got chopped http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/8866079/Brian-Moore-Martyn-Thomas-has-finally-done-the-decent-thing-the-rest-of-the-RFU-board-should-follow-suit.html

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by nth Fri 13 Sep 2013, 3:16 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Word finally comes from the RFU, last we heard they considered that the PRLs actions were illegal and Bill Beaumont was chatting to club owners to try and resolve the situation.

A key word.  If he's correct then the contract is between the RFU & PRL and if the RFU are happy to tear it up they can.  Even if they aren't (which I doubt given the more core ramifications within the English game and their relationship) then it only lasts for a year beyond the ERC agreement and both the PRL & LNR have said they would go without European fixtures next year if need be rather than sign up again with a competition they weren't happy with.

nth

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Fri 13 Sep 2013, 4:24 pm

nth wrote:
A key word.  If he's correct then the contract is between the RFU & PRL and if the RFU are happy to tear it up they can.  Even if they aren't (which I doubt given the more core ramifications within the English game and their relationship) then it only lasts for a year beyond the ERC agreement and both the PRL & LNR have said they would go without European fixtures next year if need be rather than sign up again with a competition they weren't happy with.
Agree. I have already highlighted Martyn Thomas's comments on this thread and pointed out the obvious - that from ERC's perspective it is at best a stay of execution. It also relies on the contract being water tight (and let's face it the RFU don't have great form there) and the RFU wanting to enforce that clause (would they really do that if they're not actually profiting from HEC, it makes no difference but to put change on hold for a season or two, creates bad blood at a time when they actually seem to have a decent relationship with PRL, etc).

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 13 Sep 2013, 5:46 pm

As the RFU dentist seats the PRL patient in his chair just before the 2015 home RWC, the PRL cups the RFU in the groin area and asks inquisitively "Now we're not going to hurt each other are we?"

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 13 Sep 2013, 5:49 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Word finally comes from the RFU, last we heard they considered that the PRLs actions were illegal and Bill Beaumont was chatting to club owners to try and resolve the situation.

blantent lies there maes!

That quote isn't from the RFU, i've even highlighted the bit that tells us this.

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by nathan Fri 13 Sep 2013, 5:51 pm

maestegmafia wrote:
Toadfish wrote:
Please correct your statement here.  Word has not 'finally come from the RFU' when you are quoting someone who used to work for the RFU.
No

Martyn Thomas was Chairman when the PRL signed the deal. I said above he was a former chairman. There is nothing wrong, untrue or misleading in my post...!!!

Thank god he stepped forward to tell us all why the PRL are full of poppycock, trying to act illegally and hopefully will help this all get resolved so us fans can get on with enjoying European rugby in all its glory as soon as possible for another few years.
what are you smoking?

Your wording was "Word finally comes from the RFU". This is clearly false as Thomas doesnt work for the RFU and therefor does not represent them.

You clearly know this meas!

nathan

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sat 14 Sep 2013, 8:09 am

Yawn

Typical yobbo's attacking the poster rather than debating the content...!

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Sat 14 Sep 2013, 8:24 am

The RFU can indeed force the PRL to remain in the ERC for one additional year. IF, and that is the key here, IF they want to enforce that section of the agreement.

Now Thomas would in a heart beat because he's a bitter man that fell out with the RFU board and the clubs in a big way and would love to put the boot in. However, the current RFU stance is that both sides need to work together to find middle ground. In other words they are staying well out of it as the EPS agreement is up post RWC and renewing that is their priority.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by trebellbobaggins Sat 14 Sep 2013, 9:59 am

Yeah the way Thomas  left means he'd looking for a fight anyway but they won't approach it as he would. It's why he isn't there anymore.

trebellbobaggins

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 14 Sep 2013, 12:21 pm

Munchkin wrote:The counter to that is the PRL, and LNR, get almost twice as much per Union than those in the Rabo. Also, if my understanding is correct, the PRL divide their HEC share equally amongst the 12 PRL teams. That's their choice, but why should their choice on how they allocate funds be to the detriment on the other Unions? So then, if PRL decide to expand their league, say from 12 to 14 clubs, should the Rabo Unions take a cut in HEC gains to help facilitate any PRL expansion? If not, why not?
And the counter to that is that the PRL and LNR are running 3-7 times as many teams as the Rabo unions. Teams cost money to run. And the counter to the standard bleat of "why should the Rabo unions be affected by how many teams the PRL and LNR run?" is very simply one of long-term self-interest.

The PRL and LNR know that they need 12-14 teams to make their domestic leagues viable, and that these teams need to be competitive with each other for the league to be successful. This is why the PRL smooths income across the clubs and imposes a salary cap - so that the weaker teams have a decent chance of beating the stronger ones. Take that away, let it become a walkover and soon there won't be enough clubs to make a league.

Why does that matter to the Rabo unions? For several reasons. No English or French domestic leagues = at best, much reduced income from English and French viewers. So the "you could choose to spend all yer European money on yer top teams" argument would ultimately hurt the Rabo teams if implemented.

Or consider this. Suppose we did end up with fewer English clubs. What would they do? They still need a big enough domestic league. How long would it take before they tempted the Welsh and Scottish clubs into a new league? Where would the Irish and Italian teams be then?

Professional rugby in Europe is still in its infancy. Teams need multiple competitions on the go to be viable, and they need to try to keep as level a playing field as possible in each competition. Because of that, all the competitions in Europe are essentially interdependent. I guess that's why I have such a huge problem with the "it's a union-led competition and should stay that way, and we'll each look to our own interests thank you very much" attitude - because it's so simplistic as to be self-destructive.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Sat 14 Sep 2013, 2:19 pm

Ignore

Last edited by Steffan on Sat 14 Sep 2013, 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 14 Sep 2013, 2:24 pm

Poorfour wrote:
Munchkin wrote:The counter to that is the PRL, and LNR, get almost twice as much per Union than those in the Rabo. Also, if my understanding is correct, the PRL divide their HEC share equally amongst the 12 PRL teams. That's their choice, but why should their choice on how they allocate funds be to the detriment on the other Unions? So then, if PRL decide to expand their league, say from 12 to 14 clubs, should the Rabo Unions take a cut in HEC gains to help facilitate any PRL expansion? If not, why not?
And the counter to that is that the PRL and LNR are running 3-7 times as many teams as the Rabo unions. Teams cost money to run. And the counter to the standard bleat of "why should the Rabo unions be affected by how many teams the PRL and LNR run?" is very simply one of long-term self-interest.

The PRL and LNR know that they need 12-14 teams to make their domestic leagues viable, and that these teams need to be competitive with each other for the league to be successful. This is why the PRL smooths income across the clubs and imposes a salary cap - so that the weaker teams have a decent chance of beating the stronger ones. Take that away, let it become a walkover and soon there won't be enough clubs to make a league.

Why does that matter to the Rabo unions? For several reasons. No English or French domestic leagues = at best, much reduced income from English and French viewers. So the "you could choose to spend all yer European money on yer top teams" argument would ultimately hurt the Rabo teams if implemented.

Or consider this. Suppose we did end up with fewer English clubs. What would they do? They still need a big enough domestic league. How long would it take before they tempted the Welsh and Scottish clubs into a new league? Where would the Irish and Italian teams be then?

Professional rugby in Europe is still in its infancy. Teams need multiple competitions on the go to be viable, and they need to try to keep as level a playing field as possible in each competition. Because of that, all the competitions in Europe are essentially interdependent. I guess that's why I have such a huge problem with the "it's a union-led competition and should stay that way, and we'll each look to our own interests thank you very much" attitude - because it's so simplistic as to be self-destructive.
You're trying to cover all bases here in favour of PRL, and not doing a very good job of it, Poorfour. You don't get it. I accept that, but whatever hurts the PRL, or the LNR, or the Rabo, hurts us all.
Ok, the PRL, and LNR, get their wish. A new Franglo competition is started in which PRL, and LNR, get by far get the biggest slice of the European competition cake, as well as complete control in the say on how it's run. The Rabo Unions join as their poor cousins, and due to how the funds are distributed, and who it is that holds all the power, they will always remain their poor cousins, and getting poorer, weaker, to the point of extinction from European competition. The Rabo Unions top players will be sucked into playing for what is the powerhouse of European Rugby right now. France. PRL may well encounter the same problem.
As for your comment on why the PRL needs to evenly divide its HEC share with all 12 PRL clubs, at the expense of the Rabo Unions, it is beyond belief. Incredible.....

Back to top Go down

Post by markb Sat 14 Sep 2013, 3:05 pm

There isn't a "HEC share", the PRL & LNR are given a lump sum by the ERC for their clubs from what is generated by both the Heineken and the Amlin.

It's far from unreasonable that the PRL & LNR think their clubs should get a similar amount of money for their efforts in Europe as the PRO12 sides get.  IF the PRL paid their HC sides the same amount that the PRO12 sides get there would be next to nothing left to pay the Amlin sides.  

Splitting the money equally as the PRL do to ensure a smoothing of finances for the lower sides means that the clubs get less per match than they even do for their second strings competing in the Anglo-Welsh cup, which is frankly ridiculous given how much less money that competition generates than the European ones.

markb

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Sat 14 Sep 2013, 9:33 pm

Munchkin wrote:
Poorfour wrote:

You're trying to cover all bases here in favour of PRL, and not doing a very good job of it, Poorfour. You don't get it. I accept that, but whatever hurts the PRL, or the LNR, or the Rabo, hurts us all.
Ok, the PRL, and LNR, get their wish. A new Franglo competition is started in which PRL, and LNR, get by far get the biggest slice of the European competition cake, as well as complete control in the say on how it's run. The Rabo Unions join as their poor cousins, and due to how the funds are distributed, and who it is that holds all the power, they will always remain their poor cousins, and getting poorer, weaker, to the point of extinction from European competition. The Rabo Unions top players will be sucked into playing for what is the powerhouse of European Rugby right now. France. PRL may well encounter the same problem.
As for your comment on why the PRL needs to evenly divide its HEC share with all 12 PRL clubs, at the expense of the Rabo Unions, it is beyond belief. Incredible.....
At least I am trying to explain, rather than just asserting and speculating.

Poor cousins? Get real. The Rabo teams each get considerably more from European competition than the French or English, and the PRL proposal only uses the BT money to redress that without reducing what the Rabo teams get.

Tell me why it is remotely justifiable that the Rabo teams should continue to have a massive per team advantage in cash - without resorting to the word union.

And you can't speculate on what the Anglo-French successor tournament will or won't do until we've seen a concrete proposal. All we do know is that the PRL and LNR have repeatedly asked the ERC for fairer qualification, governance and distribution of cash, and that we are where we are because the ERC and Rabo unions refused to discuss it.
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Tue 17 Sep 2013, 12:37 pm

Refuse to discuss it? According to who? I read the opposite.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 17 Sep 2013, 1:35 pm

markb wrote:There isn't a "HEC share", the PRL & LNR are given a lump sum by the ERC for their clubs from what is generated by both the Heineken and the Amlin.

It's far from unreasonable that the PRL & LNR think their clubs should get a similar amount of money for their efforts in Europe as the PRO12 sides get.  IF the PRL paid their HC sides the same amount that the PRO12 sides get there would be next to nothing left to pay the Amlin sides.  

Splitting the money equally as the PRL do to ensure a smoothing of finances for the lower sides means that the clubs get less per match than they even do for their second strings competing in the Anglo-Welsh cup, which is frankly ridiculous given how much less money that competition generates than the European ones.
All that does is level the playing field. The Top 14 league is the richest league in the world and way ahead of the Rabo in terms of finances and the AP will always have more earning power than the Rabo too. Of the first 10 HCups there was only one Rabo winner. Of the last 10 there has been 2 English, 3 French and 5 Rabo teams. It is fairly even the way it is albeit the numbers have tipped towards the Rabo because of Leinsters dominance and a golden era for them. They arent a particularly wealthy club.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 17 Sep 2013, 1:39 pm

This is a list of the richest clubs in the world in terms of revenue:

Top 15 Rugby Clubs (Revenue + Profit wise)

01. Toulouse
02. Clermont Auvergne
03. Leicester Tigers
04. Stade Francais
05. Racing Metro 92
06. Toulon
07. Brive
08. Montpellier
09. Biarritz Olympique
10. Perpignan
11. Northampton Saints
12. Bayonne
13. Castres Olympique
14. Harlequins
15. Gloucester

Munster for example is one of the biggest shirt sellers and seat fillers in Euro rugby but will never be able to compete with those teams for wealth so the Rabo teams rely on ERC money to stay competitive.

Why destroy the equilibrum that there currently is in the Heineken cup?

Lets face it the top 14 is only going to get wealthier and the AP potentially too.

Last edited by GunsGerms on Tue 17 Sep 2013, 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 17 Sep 2013, 1:43 pm

GG. Link please? "(Revenue + Profit wise)" are two different animals.

Last edited by Portnoy's Complaint on Tue 17 Sep 2013, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 17 Sep 2013, 1:48 pm

Portnoy's Complaint wrote:GG. Link please?
One from 2011

http://www.espn.co.uk/france-top-14-2011-12/rugby/story/147870.html

One from 2012

http://www.tsmplug.com/richlist/richest-rugby-clubs-in-the-world/

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Tue 17 Sep 2013, 2:02 pm

Oh dear.

http://www.tsmplug.com/richlist/richest-rugby-clubs-in-the-world/ (2013)
TSM wrote:Here is the small research I did and i found a top 15 list which rate teams according to the revenue earned in the last couple of years, Its wont show how much wealthy a rugby club is but just how much they are making every year, and not surprisingly most of the clubs are from France, take a look at the follwing list.
I assume that this is a trawl of turnover but the amateur sleuth does indicate that he can't differentiate between profit and turnover.

http://www.espn.co.uk/france-top-14-2011-12/rugby/story/147870.html (2011)
espn wrote:Financial information on Irish and Scottish sides was not available but provincial outfits Munster and Leinster ranked fourth and sixth respectively when it came to average match attendance.
That's the problem. So few sides publish accounts which enable comparison.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Tue 17 Sep 2013, 7:15 pm

I see Uefa are thinking of combining the Champions League and the Europa League. We should the do same in rugby. Combine the HC and Amlin into one brilliant mega tournament for all. Every team gets the same TV money and nobody has different qualification rules because everyone can enter.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 17 Sep 2013, 7:52 pm

Feckless Rogue wrote:I see Uefa are thinking of combining the Champions League and the Europa League. We should the do same in rugby. Combine the HC and Amlin into one brilliant mega tournament for all. Every team gets the same TV money and nobody has different qualification rules because everyone can enter.
How is that any different from having equal money for entry into a two tier competition. Which what is proposed.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 17 Sep 2013, 7:54 pm

maestegmafia wrote:Word finally comes from the former chairman of the RFU, last we heard they considered that the PRLs actions were illegal and Bill Beaumont was chatting to club owners to try and resolve the situation.

Highlighted another lie mistake in bold there maes. It was Lux who said it was illegal.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 17 Sep 2013, 9:12 pm

The stance of the LNR and PRL is still incredibly depressing and frustrating. Can't believe we could have no European rugby next year. Sickened.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Poorfour Tue 17 Sep 2013, 9:19 pm

Notch wrote:The stance of the LNR and PRL is still incredibly depressing and frustrating. Can't believe we could have no European rugby next year. Sickened.
Since the only stance that the ERC and Rabos have so Dar offered as an alternative is basically "drop 'em and take it like a man", what would you do in their position?
Poorfour
Poorfour

Back to top Go down

Post by stub Tue 17 Sep 2013, 9:20 pm

Notch wrote:The stance of the LNR and PRL is still incredibly depressing and frustrating. Can't believe we could have no European rugby next year. Sickened.
I think we'll still have European Rugby - I think that all this is a part of the "negotiations." I'm pretty sure that there will be some tweaks though. Both sides will need to give a bit but I can't help thinking that they will. Maybe I'm hopelessly optimistic but there you go.

stub

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 17 Sep 2013, 9:44 pm

I think it's gone beyond that- the BT Sport deal is the the thing.

-The ERC are under contract to Sky Sports until 2018.
-The PRL have sold the rights to European games featuring their teams (and other teams?) to BT Sport.
-The PRL can't come back on board without breaking their contract with BT Sport which is worth more money to them than any ERC deal.
-The other nations will not leave the ERC fold due to concerns about the breakaway competitions legitimacy due to the fact it hasn't been endorsed by the RFU, FFR and IRB and the perception that it the outcome of bullying tactics as opposed to negotiation.

It's going to end up in a mess of lawsuits and counter-suits. Whilst I don't think that the Franglo Cup will get the go ahead for next season, too many broken contracts and too many bodies need to approve it who actively oppose it, I think the English and French will also not be involved in ERC competitions next year. Leading to- the worst of all worlds.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by LeinsterFan4life Tue 17 Sep 2013, 10:00 pm

Poorfour wrote:
Since the only stance that the ERC and Rabos have so Dar offered as an alternative is basically "drop 'em and take it like a man", what would you do in their position?
Tell us more, you seem to have all the inside information. Considering the fact the head of the IRFU has come out and said they are willing to talk.

LeinsterFan4life

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 17 Sep 2013, 10:14 pm

LeinsterFan4life wrote:
Poorfour wrote:
Tell us more, you seem to have all the inside information. Considering the fact the head of the IRFU has come out and said they are willing to talk.
Thats very rich Poorfour Rolling Eyes 
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rugby Fan Tue 17 Sep 2013, 10:22 pm

Notch wrote:I think it's gone beyond that- the BT Sport deal is the the thing..
If the BT contract is indeed a deal breaker for the ERC because of their Sky contract, then you can only wonder why on earth they went ahead and renewed with Sky when they did.

They did so after the BT involvement with PRL had already been announced, and after the French and English clubs had already served notice on their involvement with the ERC.

The had no reason to do so. Not immediately renewing with Sky wouldn't have left them any obligation to accept BT involvement.

Rugby Fan

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 17 Sep 2013, 10:26 pm

The ERC doesn't exist from next season so any deal if void anyway.
All TV contracts are void. No contracts are broken. The RFU have to sanction the TV deal (probably) but they have to sanction any competition anyway.

The ERC is dead and had to die the moment the two TV contracts existed. But the ECR or REC or CRE or some other virtually identical body CAN exist. But one of the requirements is the English home games will be broadcast by BT

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Tue 17 Sep 2013, 10:40 pm

RFU obfuscate

Rugby Football Union chief executive Ian Ritchie feels urgent talks are necessary.
He said: "It's important for a game as a whole that we get these negotiations settled.
"Our view as well is that we would seek to achieve a European competition that would involve clubs from Scotland, Wales, France - wherever.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 17 Sep 2013, 10:42 pm

Right, so here's where we are.

The ERC will either not exist, or will exist but as a glorified Pro12.
The RFU may not sanction the new tournament, indications are the FFR and IRB won't.

Everybody loses.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 17 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next