The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How Can Floyd Be Beaten??

+19
armchairwarrior
Scottrf
TopHat24/7
Fists of Fury
TRUSSMAN66
OasisBFC
Izzi
YDKSAB
Diamond in the rough
ONETWOFOREVER
The Terror of Tylorstown
88Chris05
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
John Bloody Wayne
Lance
ShahenshahG
Pedro147
Steffan
Strongback
23 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How Can Floyd Be Beaten?? Empty How Can Floyd Be Beaten??

Post by Strongback Sun 15 Sep 2013, 12:42 pm

There was a lot of talk before this fight about blue prints to beat Floyd. Oscar claiming he has the blue print and Floyd dismissed him by saying 'How do you have the blue print when I beat you'.

If there is a blue print, and certainly some have gotten to Floyd in the past, Canelo Alverez was not the technician who could roll open the drawing and follow the plan. A little unfair to say I suppose but he just didn't have the basic attributes or let's face it the experience normally built up over 41 fights.

Let's take a look at the rare occasions were Floyd struggled at times in fights in the past and what caused the problems:

Work rate: if Floyd slips into his rhythm it's like a watching a conductor controlling the greatest orchestra in the world at the end of a baton. If a fighter can't break Mayweathers rhythm his chances are less than zero. Castillo in their first fight set a very good pace as did Oscar for as long as he could. These were two of the best fighters Mayweather faced. Alverez could not set the kind of pace needed to shake Floyd up, he gave Floyd time to sit back and do his thing.

Movement: Alverez looked like he had lead in his feet and his upper body and head movements were very static. As a target he was easy to hit and he wasn't too clever when it came to defending with the gloves and elbows. Mayweather manoeuvred him around whether he fought off the back foot or like he did around the middle of the fight on the front foot. Alverez's feet looked like they were made of clay. The fighter to beat Floyd needs excellent movement.

Punching: Floyd's punching was accurate and crisp but more than anything it is fast with almost limitless variety so it's not easy to guess what's coming next. When the fight is moving at a comfortable pace Floyd has time to pick his punches especially his counters which are off the scale in quality. If an opponent isn't throwing a lot of leather at Floyd he needs to match him in punching skills and speed, Canelo could not match Mayweathers punching ability and there's few in history at the weight that could. Canelo's punches were telegraphed, no disguise, and he did not throw anywhere near enough he unsettle Floyd.

Alverez lacked the basic skill set to follow Oscar's blue print and he has been shown up as being a bit of a manufactured fighter in my view. Miguel Cotto was always a highly skilled fighter, who lacked fighting intelligence, so it is no surprise to me that as a proven operator he did much better against Floyd than Canelo. Cotto prior to the Margarito debacle would have put on a good show against Floyd, excellent footwork, good punching skills and could churn out the punches. Unfortunately that fight and several others did not happen. Floyd would have beaten Cotto at any time but it would have been a competitive fight unlike last nights money ballon that was hyped up on a foundation of fiction.

Ricky Hatton did better than Canelo.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

How Can Floyd Be Beaten?? Empty Re: How Can Floyd Be Beaten??

Post by Steffan Sun 15 Sep 2013, 12:42 pm

When Floyds about 50 years old...then ya might get him

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Sun 15 Sep 2013, 12:50 pm

He stated he overtrained for Cotto fight so might explain the drop in level. It might be that Floyd is still improving. He knows how fighters got to him in the past and now has a counter to his opponents counter as such.

Sometimes you can't blueprint on how to beat someone as they're just better than you. You can train harder than Usain Bolt for example but at the end of the day he's just better and faster than you.

I'm not saying that Floyd will never lose as nobody is unbeatable. However, I think that for him to lose he'll have to age over night. There is nobody getting close to him now. The fact people saying he should fight at MW now goes to show how much better than everyone he is.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 15 Sep 2013, 1:02 pm

Floyd may have overtrained or whatever but that doesn't take away from the fact Cotto is a proven operator over many many years which Canelo isn't. That is what I was trying to get at. Canelo was just way off the mark.

You're right of course that there just isn't a lot of really top quality talent out there. The lack of opponents might open the door for a fight with Manny which would be a legitimate contest even if Floyd would be the good favourite. I don't want to see as bad a contest as last nights again.

He will probably fight Garcia next but will the public buy that one?

On game plans I think they can win fights as Garcia showed against Matthyses with his disciplined performance particularly given he was the under dog. With Floyd though I agree, the fighter to beat him needs to be exceptionally good and to have the right attributes to shake Floyd out of his rhythm.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Sun 15 Sep 2013, 1:12 pm

Strongback wrote:Floyd may have overtrained or whatever but that doesn't take away from the fact Cotto is a proven operator over many many years which Canelo isn't. That is what I was trying to get at.  Canelo was just way off the mark.

You're right of course that there just isn't a lot of really top quality talent out there.  The lack of opponents might open the door for a fight with Manny which would be a legitimate contest even if Floyd would be the good favourite.  I don't want to see as bad a contest as last nights again.

He will probably fight Garcia next but will the public buy that one?
Although Manny is a good option as far as credible opponents go, I can only see Floyd getting slated for it as Manny isn't the fighter he was in 2009-ish when the fight should have happened. It's funny as on a different thread people stated that Khan should stay where he is at 140lbs as the 147lbs is so strong at the moment yet people saying there is nobody at 147 or 154 that will even challenge Floyd. This to me sums up just how far he is ahead of everyone else at the moment.

I think that Floyd would dance to victory over Garcia but he's close to unifying the 140 division so an easy enough sell, to the casual fan at least. Although I wouldn't mind seeing an undercard fight of Floyd Sr vs Angel Garcia. The build up would be the two of them screaming at each other without either making any sense!!! Funny though Very Happy 

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by ShahenshahG Sun 15 Sep 2013, 1:50 pm

Put him in with Wlad. He'll land his first punch in round 10 and Mayweather will be carried out on a stretcher.

Seriously though - you have to have another special fighter to beat mayweather barring any decline with age. Someone who is just as quick, just as clever and is just as adaptable. No one going in with a single plan can expect to beat him. Failing that, it has to be someone who has physical advantages over him, Size, Strength and speed, high stamina and punch output with excellent timing. Anytime Canelo touched his face Floyd had slipped/rode it and countered thrice and moved out of harms way in one flowing movement - If you come in with one plan or two or three he'll figure em out and you wont even know until your ringing head tells you something is amiss. Canelo feinted alot and that was his only sensible contribution to the proceedings in the first half of the fight.

ShahenshahG

http://www.wwwdotcom.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sun 15 Sep 2013, 2:50 pm

only way hes beaten is if he fights somebody who is fast enough and tactically astute enough to match him. I don't see anybody that matches that criteria out there at the moment. he has aged a little over the past couple of years, and we will probably have to wait at least a couple more before hes declined enough to lose.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by John Bloody Wayne Sun 15 Sep 2013, 3:22 pm

Unless someone's up for cloning Tommy Hearns I can't see him getting beat.

John Bloody Wayne

Back to top Go down

Post by WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs Sun 15 Sep 2013, 3:35 pm

A lot of good fighters around but no great ones, and Floyd doesn't look like he's lost anything

If anything he's looking better than ever. Before his father came back he was on the ropes more and standing his ground, but these last 2 fights he has been using his feet brilliantly to stay off the ropes

Martinez has/had the best shot at beating him but has looked very old recently and can't keep himself fit. 5"10, very fast hands, long reach, incredible stamina, solid chin, southpaw, experienced, naturally bigger and has one punch KO power Floyd has never seen. Pre-Murray I would make it 50/50, but not now

Other than that, presuming he isn't fighting GGG or Ward, I'd say Canelo in 18 months at 154 is the only man who stands a chance

WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs

Back to top Go down

Post by 88Chris05 Sun 15 Sep 2013, 3:40 pm

Everyone says it, but a great jab combined with height and reach advantages wouldn't go amiss. If you throw that jab hard, regularly and accurately and do it going forwards then we've seen that Mayweather can have his attacking arsenal shut down to a certain extent, although his defence is still hard to penetrate cleanly. I think being the aggressor is key as Castillo demonstrated - if you can track him every step of the way and cut off ring space, you can force him to the ropes, where he spends more time than most other defensive masters. Once he's there, the work doesn't have to be pretty, but if you can club him round the side of his guard, pound the arms etc then you can take rounds off him.

One other suggestion, although it's hard to gauge it for a few reasons, would be to beat Floyd at his own game - show an even better defence than him and make him force the fight constantly, which isn't his go-to style.

Granted, he's shown that he can be the aggressor at times (he was for certain spells last night, for instance) but it'd be a different kettle of fish if he was against a real master of defense and countering himself. He hasn't fought one of those, basically because there haven't been any in his era operating in or around his divisions.

The closest we've come would have been Winky, if Floyd were a few years older and had grown in to a Welter / part time Light-Middle a few years previously. But by the time he got there, Wright had already been tempted up to 160 to try and take the Middleweight title off Taylor in 2006, and then the next year he made the almost inexplicable decision to climb all the way to 175 to fight B-Hop. A peak Winky of circa 2004, at 154 lb, would have been by an absolute mile the best defensive fighter Mayweather would ever have faced, with one of the slickest jabs as well, and it'd have been interesting to see how Floyd would have gone about having to lead off and try to find openings in a tight defence, which is usually the problem he poses to his opponents. Would have been a stinker, mind you!
88Chris05
88Chris05

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Sun 15 Sep 2013, 3:45 pm

I've said for a long time Chris that Winky Wright would have had the best chance of beating Mayweather, he's as awkward as they come and very very difficult to hit cleanly. One thing is for certain that Wright would not have got frustrated and would not lead, he'd be more than happy to make it as ugly as possible and whilst he's not as good offensively he could nick enough rounds to make it interesting. Aside from him I could only think of a peak Mosley but that would require Shane to land early and keep up a high pace which he would be more than capable of doing. Possibly even Vernon Forrest who probably had the best jab in the welterweight division since Hearns.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 15 Sep 2013, 4:03 pm

A peak Oscar or Manny were the best opponents for me then peak Shane and Cotto, obviously of the fighters that were available to fight Mayweather.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 15 Sep 2013, 4:28 pm

Vernon Forrest might have tested Floyd.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Sun 15 Sep 2013, 4:30 pm

When could he have fought a peak De La Hoya then Strongy? As for Mosley he was offered the fight but turned it down because of a toothache. Cotto and Pacquiao he should have faced but neither could or would have beaten him.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Sun 15 Sep 2013, 4:49 pm

He fought Oscar at the only time he could mosley ducked him! Prince naseem ducked him! He signed to fight manny but manny said he was scared of needles! Bob arum didn't want floyd fighting cotto untill floyd left top rank the only fighter floyd turned down really was margarito who is a cheat and have no idea why anyone gives him the time of day he's a face forward plodder And instead of fighting him floyd fought at the time the wbc and ring champion in baldimor who isn't very good but at the time he was rated number one by the ring! Now floyd will make around 50m after ppv from this fight so I'm sure if manny doubles mayweathers money like he offered pacquiao floyd would take it

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 15 Sep 2013, 4:53 pm

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:When could he have fought a peak De La Hoya then Strongy? As for Mosley he was offered the fight but turned it down because of a toothache. Cotto and Pacquiao he should have faced but neither could or would have beaten him.

Oscar would have to be around 2005 but that would have been a big risk and Floydy don't do risk. Shane at that time and for the next 3 years would also have been good. Tooth aches disappear when the right money is on the table.

ww 2010

Title Vacant

Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd ??????
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Andre Berto
Miguel Cotto
Shane Mosley
Joshua Clottey
Jan Zaveck
Vyacheslav Senchenko
Rafal Jackiewicz
Timothy Bradley

ww (2009)

Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd ??
Shane Mosley vs Floyd ??
Floyd Mayweather Jr.
Miguel Cotto vs Floyd ??
Joshua Clottey
Antonio Margarito
Andre Berto
Luis Collazo
Rafal Jackiewicz
Jan Zaveck

ww 2008

Title Vacant

Antonio Margarito vs Floyd ??
Miguel Cotto vs Floyd ??
Shane Mosley vs Floyd ??
Joshua Clottey
Manny Pacquiao
Carlos Quintana
Zab Judah
Luis Collazo
Andre Berto
Isaac Hlatshwayo

Welterweights ( 2007)

Floyd Mayweather Jr., Champion

Miguel Cotto vs Floyd ??
Paul Williams vs Floyd ??
Shane Mosley vs Floyd ??
Zab Judah
Kermit Cintron
Luis Collazo
Joshua Clottey
Jackson Osei Bonsu
Oktay Urkal

Welterweights 2006

Floyd Mayweather Jr., Champion

Carlos Manuel Baldomir
Miguel Cotto vs Floyd ??
Zab Judah
Luis Collazo
Kermit Cintron
Oktay Urkal
Arturo Gatti
Paul Williams
Joshua Clottey

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Sun 15 Sep 2013, 5:00 pm

The Oscar fight happened the only time he could have done, Mayweather had to position himself to make it a viable option, moving up straight to 154lbs from 140lbs was never an option. As for Mosley he was offered the fight numerous times and turned it down that was in no way Mayweather fault.

Anyway I thought this more about how Floyd can beaten rather than another lame attempt at posting the same list for the hundreth time, we get you don't like him. You also fail to consider who was fighting who at particular moments in time, for instance in 2007 he fought Hatton and De La Hoya the most viable options at the time.

You need to do a bit of research before you start to embarrass yourself even further.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 15 Sep 2013, 5:06 pm

He could have fought De La Hoya earlier. De la Hoya would have fought at a catch weight or the welter limit.

I'll keep posting the list till you realise there was a 4 or 5 year window when Floyd could have fought these guys all of whom would have stepped up for a mega pay day.

The tooth ache line was a joke btw. Don't hang you hat on it. Mosley was there to be fought for years but after he beat Oscar he was too dangerous.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Diamond in the rough Sun 15 Sep 2013, 5:09 pm

You have to remember though floyd wouldn't have fought him as floyd wasn't a big enough name

Diamond in the rough

Back to top Go down

Post by ONETWOFOREVER Sun 15 Sep 2013, 5:12 pm

Strongback wrote:He could have fought De La Hoya earlier. De la Hoya would have fought at a catch weight or the welter limit.

I'll keep posting the list till you realise there was a 4 or 5 year window when Floyd could have fought these guys all of whom would have stepped up for a mega pay day.

The tooth ache line was a joke btw.  Don't hang you hat on it.  Mosley was there to be fought for years but after he beat Oscar he was too dangerous.
Floyd could have fought them but so what. Don't use the excuse that Floyd chose to fight them when they were too old or past it. I just witnessed a 37 year old man totally school a young strong champion of 23. In any other sport this would be rare indeed. I doubt Roger Federer will be wiping the court with highly ranked players of 22 23 24 years when he is 37.

ONETWOFOREVER

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Sun 15 Sep 2013, 5:15 pm

Do you know that for a fact do you Strongy because you seem utterly clueless about the actual climate of the welterweight division because Mosleys toothache was in 2006 a fair old time after he beat De La Hoya. You post the list but don't give any indication when he could have fought them or in what circumstances it makes your whole argument very hollow.

De La Hoya was at the stage in his career when he was only after the big money and Mayweather had to position himself to be a viable option, back then the ball was entirely in De La Hoyas court.

In 2006 and 2007 Mayweather fought the best opponents available to him, Baldomir and Judah were ranked number one and two then he fought Hatton and De La Hoya. Fights with Cotto, Williams or Margarito would not take precedence over any of them. There was the two year period after Hatton when they were options but not before then. He could have fought Cotto at light welterweight but at that time he had his eyes firmly set on Oscar.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 15 Sep 2013, 5:37 pm

ONETWOFOREVER wrote:
Strongback wrote:He could have fought De La Hoya earlier. De la Hoya would have fought at a catch weight or the welter limit.

The tooth ache line was a joke btw.  Don't hang you hat on it.  Mosley was there to be fought for years but after he beat Oscar he was too dangerous.
Floyd could have fought them but so what. Don't use the excuse that Floyd chose to fight them when they were too old or past it. I just witnessed a 37 year old man totally school a young strong champion of 23. In any other sport this would be rare indeed. I doubt Roger Federer will be wiping the court with highly ranked players of 22 23 24 years when he is 37.

Canelo was a hype job. Time will prove that. He ain't going to do much in boxing with lead feet.

Ever wonder why ever year Floyds head is bigger?

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 15 Sep 2013, 5:40 pm

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:Do you know that for a fact do you Strongy because you seem utterly clueless about the actual climate of the welterweight division because Mosleys toothache was in 2006 a fair old time after he beat De La Hoya. You post the list but don't give any indication when he could have fought them or in what circumstances it makes your whole argument very hollow.

De La Hoya was at the stage in his career when he was only after the big money and Mayweather had to position himself to be a viable option, back then the ball was entirely in De La Hoyas court.

In 2006 and 2007 Mayweather fought the best opponents available to him, Baldomir and Judah were ranked number one and two then he fought Hatton and De La Hoya. Fights with Cotto, Williams or Margarito would not take precedence over any of them. There was the two year period after Hatton when they were options but not before then. He could have fought Cotto at light welterweight but at that time he had his eyes firmly set on Oscar.

Have a listen to RA Rugged Man from four years ago. It's the same argument. It's not like I invented it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA-W01zhHbM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by YDKSAB Sun 15 Sep 2013, 5:43 pm

Strongback YDKSAB bro. Just another Mayweather HATER who stayed up all night in UK HOPING Mayweather would lose and now you feeling BURNED!

YDKSAB

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Sun 15 Sep 2013, 5:47 pm

Maybe you can come up with your argument Strongy and stop relentlessly posting articles that are purely somebody elses opinion. Think for yourself and explain when and how Mayweather could have fought the names you mentioned.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 15 Sep 2013, 5:50 pm

While you're at Terror have a look at the tooth ache video and you will see Shane offers to fight Floyd after Margarito.

Floyd calls out Kosta Tszyu as well. That would have been a good fight at 140. None of the fights Floyd called out happened. Everybody was running away from Lil Floyd it seems, as Dougal would say "Right Ted".

Maybe you should do some homework too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPJhvYXKZK8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 15 Sep 2013, 5:52 pm

YDKSAB wrote:Strongback YDKSAB bro. Just another Mayweather HATER who stayed up all night in UK HOPING Mayweather would lose and now you feeling BURNED!

If I make up an alias my alias will kick the sh1t out of you.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 15 Sep 2013, 5:54 pm

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:Maybe you can come up with your argument Strongy and stop relentlessly posting articles that are purely somebody elses opinion. Think for yourself and explain when and how Mayweather could have fought the names you mentioned.

I'll try to think beyond the obvious but all these fighters being around and Floyd not fighting them is a wall too big for my little brain to get over.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Sun 15 Sep 2013, 5:56 pm

I'm well aware of all of this and for everyone else that would appear to be Mosley avoiding the fight but somehow you seem to think it suggests it was Mayweather. The mind boggles.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Sun 15 Sep 2013, 5:59 pm

Do you actually know when that Mosley interview was?

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 15 Sep 2013, 6:04 pm

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:I'm well aware of all of this and for everyone else that would appear to be Mosley avoiding the fight but somehow you seem to think it suggests it was Mayweather. The mind boggles.

What part of 'I will fight Floyd next year' did you not understand???

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Sun 15 Sep 2013, 6:07 pm

Like I said do you know when that interview is from, it's quite important.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzi Sun 15 Sep 2013, 6:18 pm

Strongie... Give it up boy. Spouted enough rubbish prior to Alavarez and now looking a bit daft. Where's Truss when you need him eh

Izzi

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 15 Sep 2013, 6:31 pm

I'll go one better and I'll show what you what Shane says about it:

This is Mosley's version:

Q: After you challenged him, a week later, Mayweather wished you good luck in your career which seemed to indicate he’s not interested in fighting you. He also mentioned that he challenged you twice, and he claims that you turned him down back in 1999 and again in 2006. Did you really turn him down?

A: Like I said, he’s really a liar. He likes to lie a lot. In 1999 there’s a film where he’s fighting in Michigan when he was fighting at 130 and I was fighting at 135, and I asked him, like when HBO does the prefight analysts talk to the fighters before they fight. I talked to him, and hopefully it’s recorded somewhere—I think it was on FX—I asked him, “Are you planning on coming up to lightweight to fight me?” And he said, “No,” He had no intention of coming to lightweight to fight me, he wanted t beat Carlos Monzon’s record. He didn’t want to come to lightweight. That’s when I jumped from lightweight to welterweight to fight Oscar De La Hoya. That was the first incident that he’s talking about, so he turned me down in 1999.

Now, the other time he’s talking about is when I fought three times—one, two, three, back-to-back-to-back—and they tried to rush me to fight him right away, like two or three months later. I said, give me a month, and we’ll do it like, I think it was in January—I said, “We’ll do it in January”. They wanted to do it in like November or December, and I said, “Give me a month and we’ll do it in January or February.” They didn’t want to do that. So they chose to fight Oscar De La Hoya. I said, “Go ahead and fight Oscar, and if you beat Oscar, then let’s get busy. Let’s do this.” He beat Oscar—he didn’t want to fight me.

He’s been turning me down. I hate when he continues to say, “Oh, he turned me down because of a tooth ache”. Yeah. I got head butted in that fight that and my tooth was loose that night. They asked me to fight Mayweather and I said, “Give me an extra month, and I’ll fight him.” He didn’t want to fight me, which was cool. He could go and fight Oscar because that’s more money. Okay. That’s cool, but after that fight if you win—fight me. He didn’t want to do that. He chose to retire or fight somebody else. I’m getting tired of that lie! They need to wipe that lie out of there. The reporters and stuff, they keep saying it, so that lie needs to be talked about.

If you watch Mosley in the post fight interview he starts talking about his tooth when pushed on fighting ODLH who was also his business partner. When asked about Floyd he says let's do it next year.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 15 Sep 2013, 6:33 pm

Izzi wrote:Strongie... Give it up boy. Spouted enough rubbish prior to Alavarez and now looking a bit daft. Where's Truss when you need him eh

Look there has to be some balance. Not everybody loves Floyd as much as this board does. The debate is really about where he lies as an all time great. As to looking daft I have referenced everything I have said. I didn't make it up.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Sun 15 Sep 2013, 6:35 pm

So very Strongy, he was at no point asked about fighting De La Hoya, you're just making yourself look rather silly. He was well aware who was fighting Mayweather next year and that the fight was only possible beforehand, he turned down that chance in favour of fight Collazo.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by OasisBFC Sun 15 Sep 2013, 6:36 pm

i was thinking of this earlier, i dont think there is actually a blue print.

you have to be on a par with him technically like perhaps rigondeaux and try and do enough to win rounds in what would be a technically brilliant but very dull fight.

but i think the main key is to just to be an absolute animal with superhuman self belief, walk through his punches and drag him into deep water with hurtful shots.
who cares if he's tagging you as you go in, you rough him up, possibly cheat a little and show him no respect.

people tend to be intimidated by him (but not show it) but if someone came into the build up showing no respect to him, possibly being rude and trash talking and going into the ring like a wild rabid animal wanting to rip his head off i think they'd have a chance - IF they had a solid chin and could deliver hurtful shots - and a very good work rate.

i'm thinking of roberto duran in the first leonard fight.

OasisBFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 15 Sep 2013, 6:48 pm

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:So very Strongy, he was at no point asked about fighting De La Hoya, you're just making yourself look rather silly. He was well aware who was fighting Mayweather next year and that the fight was only possible beforehand, he turned down that chance in favour of fight Collazo.

The way Erchant phrases the question isn't great but yes it was Oscar fighting Floyd he was on about and not. Third fight with Shane. Semantics though. Shane clearly says in the video and the interview text I posted he would fight Mayweather. They should have fought before this anyway. Shane also talks about Margarito looking for a fight and Mayweather could do that in November and then fight him. Shane had three fights in 10 months and said he needed a break and would then fight Mayweather. ODLH stepped in and there was way anything could derail that money train. Shane fought in February like he said he would.

There's no mystery to this. The story is a lie as Shane says.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 15 Sep 2013, 6:53 pm

Just had a little read back through this thread and it's clear when you are met with facts you start to nit pick and get into semantics. Then you go for personal insults.

I don't bother with personal insults unless its a tongue in check slanging match. I did call Dave a Meat trombone soloist once though.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by YDKSAB Sun 15 Sep 2013, 6:55 pm

Strongback wrote:Just had a little read back through this thread and it's clear when you are met with facts you start to nit pick and get into semantics.  Then you go for personal insults.  

I don't bother with personal insults unless its a tongue in check slanging match. I did call Dave a Meat trombone soloist once though.
Bro your argument sucked and you got PWNED! Deal with it.

YDKSAB

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Sun 15 Sep 2013, 6:59 pm

You're so one sided and biased its quite funny.

Your facts aren't facts at all, they're just the opinions of those involved, Shane is hardly going to admit to avoiding mayweather is he?

The reality is that Mosley was offered the fight and turned it down, his fault entirely. The fight couldn't have happened any earlier as he was fighting two divisions higher until mayweather best Baldomir and Judah. He then offered the fight before facing De La Hoya and Hatton.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by YDKSAB Sun 15 Sep 2013, 7:06 pm

How can Money be beat? Let me say one word. ROBBERY. Look at this BS judging last night and in the Oscar fight. It can HAPPEN. Money totally SCHOOLED Canelo and Oscar but they are beg names with Golden Boy and the judges are ALL OVER them when they miss with there punches. Canelo didnt land NOTHING all night and one judge say it a draw?? Canelo lucky to win a ROUND. Mayweather landng more, better defence and more accurate in EVERY round. Money May gotta be careful he dont get robbed in future. Golden Boy has too much POWER and everybody KNOW Oscar hate Money May coz he whooped him.

YDKSAB

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 15 Sep 2013, 7:21 pm

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:You're so one sided and biased its quite funny.

Your facts aren't facts at all, they're just the opinions of those involved, Shane is hardly going to admit to avoiding mayweather is he?

The reality is that Mosley was offered the fight and turned it down, his fault entirely. The fight couldn't have happened any earlier as he was fighting two divisions higher until mayweather best Baldomir and Judah. He then offered the fight before facing De La Hoya and Hatton.

Everybody knows Leonard rushed Duran into a rematch. Shane wanted an extra couple of months after 3 fights in 10 months. Shane and Floyd were only 5 lbs apart in 1999 and Floyd said no. These facts are well established.

All I am doing is trying to provide balance.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Sun 15 Sep 2013, 7:26 pm

Like I said these aren't facts, it's all a matter of opinion, the fight was possible in 1999 but Mosley chose to go after De La Hoya.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun 15 Sep 2013, 7:28 pm

The Terror of Tylorstown wrote:You're so one sided and biased its quite funny.

Couldn't agree more...606 is just a vehicle to keep hammering away at fighters he hates.......

Mayweather bashing he does makes him look completely pathetic..........You'd think Floyd was a cowardly ducker with an average record If you only read this guy......

Also think Fury was Larry Holmes and Haye was Duane Bobick !!!!!!!!

He's a d4 clone

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Strongback Sun 15 Sep 2013, 7:46 pm

You can't can talk you've been riding Floyds xxxx since you realised he wouldn't be beat. I remember when you were a Haye fan. You dropped him like a hot snot as soon as he lost. You're a glory hunter son, always have been always will be.

Strongback

Back to top Go down

Post by Fists of Fury Mon 16 Sep 2013, 9:16 am

Pacquiao was of course the only viable answer to this question. After the Pacquiao/Cotto fight, that's when it would have been timed to perfection.

The relentless buzzsaw against the defensive genius. The type of energy exhibited by Pacquiao at this time is surely a prerequisite to finding any success against Mayweather, and whilst I won't go so far as to say Manny would have won (you never know) I don't think it would have been a very comfortable night for either of them. Probably why it was ultimately avoided by both...

Fists of Fury
Admin
Admin

http://bloxhamcricket.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 16 Sep 2013, 9:22 am

Manny is wide open when he punches..he'd be countered to death.......

Khan for me is the only guy that gives him problems..

Taller..quick jab.....speed....and bnver been outboxed and never will..because he's a poor man's Tommy hearns..

Problem is he's thick..But logistically all wrong for Floyd..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 16 Sep 2013, 9:27 am

How to beat Floyd? Basically impossible if you weigh within 5-10lbs of him and aren't taking a weapon into the ring with you.

Canelo was a huge disappointment but Floyd just further show cased his genius. That jab was a thing of beauty and his punch variation is stunning, even if his power isn't. The orchestra conducter is a very good analogy, his boxing brain is non-pareil.

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Post by Scottrf Mon 16 Sep 2013, 9:30 am

I think his power is at least decent, he just doesn't often sit on his shots. His straights are often when his weight starts on his front foot.

Scottrf

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next