The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where now for last nights winners and losers?

+18
Rowley
seanmichaels
captain carrantuohil
azania
RanjitPatel
TRUSSMAN66
YDKSAB
Rodney
milkyboy
Diamond in the rough
owen10ozzy
WHU_Champo_League_in_7Yrs
Herman Jaeger
88Chris05
ShahenshahG
Strongback
jimdig
The Terror of Tylorstown
22 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Where now for last nights winners and losers? - Page 3 Empty Where now for last nights winners and losers?

Post by The Terror of Tylorstown Sun 15 Sep 2013, 1:29 pm

First topic message reminder :

Firstly hats off to Garcia and Mayweather for producing career best performances to overcome their major rivals in two interesting fights.

First off Garcia and Matthyse, having gone into the fight as a massive underdog Danny Garcia produced a performance of great skill and maturity to blunt the offensive arsenal of Lucas Matthyse. A fight that cements his place as the premier light welterweight in the world he should now start to get the recognition he deserves, the scorecards were for me criminally close. Garcia from start to finish with the exception of a couple of mid fight rounds dominated his more revered opponent, showing grit and determination to take anything the argentine had to offer while his left hook did the physical damage it was his superior boxing skills that won the day. For Garcia a fight with Mayweather at welterweight seems the obvious next step, his stock is as high as anyones in and around the divisions but for Matthyse his options seem less obvious. With no belts to his name and brutal power he will once again fall into the who needs him club, an eminently beatable boxer who unfortunately seems fairly reliant on his power, Garcia is no speed merchant but had the faster hands and feet throughout.

As for the main event well it was a boxing masterclass up until the 8th round where Mayweather switched off went on the retreat and allowed Alvarez to pick up rounds through aggression if nothing else. The fight will have done little to persuade his detractors that his fights are a bit boring, a supremely talented once in a generation boxer who is far too good to be in good fights. For Mayweather it would appear that Garcia is next up, getting him to fight as main support would seem to be a deliberate ploy to get him in the publics consciousness. For Alvarez a bit of rebuilding is needed, he's still young and has obvious talent but doesn't have a real identity as a boxer, he wants to box but lacks the footwork or speed to be overly successful yet lacks the stamina and power to be an aggressive come forward fighter.

Mayweather vs Garcia
Alvarez vs Cotto
Matthyse vs Maidana

The three fights I think are most sensible next steps for all those involved.

The Terror of Tylorstown

Back to top Go down

Where now for last nights winners and losers? - Page 3 Empty Re: Where now for last nights winners and losers?

Post by TopHat24/7 Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:46 am

STC wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
STC wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Why were Rigo and Donaire almost booed off then? And why has no network shown any interest in a rematch?
I think they were just booing Rigo for fighting off the back foot. Donaire couldn't have been much more aggressive.
It was for the lack of action.  Personally I enjoyed it, a footwork masterclass from Rigo.  But that's my point, what the purists enjoy the generalists do not.
Personally I much prefer the Mayweathers, Wards and Rigos of the sport. If generalists don't like it then they can go back to watching football. Who cares about what they think?

Lol I'm guessing the vendors and chief beneficiaries of the PPV sales!!

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Where now for last nights winners and losers? - Page 3 Empty Re: Where now for last nights winners and losers?

Post by STC Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:48 am

milkyboy wrote:
STC wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:Why were Rigo and Donaire almost booed off then? And why has no network shown any interest in a rematch?
I think they were just booing Rigo for fighting off the back foot. Donaire couldn't have been much more aggressive.
Clearly he only did what he was allowed to do, But I thought donaire plodded forward without enough real intent, and lacked aggression in the fight. No doubt it just seemed that way, as his footwork wasn't up to getting him in range to let his shots go, but donaire was disappointing to me.
He was disappointing but in the same way as Alvarez was disappointing against Mayweather. The credit in both cases lies with their opponents.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:51 am

TopHat24/7 wrote:
STC wrote:
TopHat24/7 wrote:
STC wrote:
It was for the lack of action.  Personally I enjoyed it, a footwork masterclass from Rigo.  But that's my point, what the purists enjoy the generalists do not.
Personally I much prefer the Mayweathers, Wards and Rigos of the sport. If generalists don't like it then they can go back to watching football. Who cares about what they think?

Lol I'm guessing the vendors and chief beneficiaries of the PPV sales!!
Yeah, how many PPV sales for Saturday?

General fans are easy to sucker in anyway. Look at Haye v Harrisson. After the Haye v Harrison debacle many general fans were put off. I wonder how many of the same fans are now buying Haye v Fury?
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:54 am

i agree in the main stc, but guys who are touted as great fighters themselves need to show a plan b sometimes. Alvarez at least tried to vary it in the later rounds, donaire just kept plodding forward one-paced... at least that's how it looked to me.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by STC Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:58 am

milkyboy wrote:i agree in the main stc, but guys who are touted as great fighters themselves need to show a plan b sometimes. Alvarez at least tried to vary it in the later rounds, donaire just kept plodding forward one-paced... at least that's how it looked to me.
Not saying you're wrong about Donaire. I think everybody was hoping for something a bit more dramatic maybe, with a little bit more action. I know I was. Sometimes fights let you down though.
STC
STC

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 16 Sep 2013, 12:01 pm

true enough - its sport, sometimes the styles gel and sometimes they don't and it was pretty impressive from rigo to nullify him, when no-one else has been able to it.

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Herman Jaeger Mon 16 Sep 2013, 12:22 pm

TopHat24/7 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
captain carrantuohil wrote:Like Federer between 2004 and 2007, Tiger Woods in 2000/2001, Hendry or O'Sullivan in their prime, it's a real pleasure to watch a maestro at work. There was never much doubt that these guys were going to win when they were in full flower, but I don't remember Wimbledon, The Crucible or Augusta National being half empty in those days. The thrill comes from seeing someone do something better than any contemporary can and better than all but a handful of people ever have done. That applies to any field of human endeavour, competitive or not, in my opinion.
Post of the day..
Salad toss of the day....

Butt licking is very un American you know.

He's been tossing the captain for a few weeks now, and to be honest, it's starting to leave a sour taste.

Most of it's one way granted,, but the captain has started to reciprocate in recent days. I suppose he's just being polite.

Herman Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 16 Sep 2013, 12:28 pm

milkyboy wrote:i agree in the main stc, but guys who are touted as great fighters themselves need to show a plan b sometimes. Alvarez at least tried to vary it in the later rounds, donaire just kept plodding forward one-paced... at least that's how it looked to me.
You're right Milky.....great fighters adapt..........Always strikes me as odd how many fighters just accept their fate........

Rosario against chavez...Bruno against Tyson 2 even.........He had three rounds of slapping with no return...Where as If he'd have just come out and swung and gone in 1 he'd have had respect and a quicker demise...

Robbo found a way against Turpin.........Leonard - Duran...........even Duran-Dejesus......

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 16 Sep 2013, 12:40 pm

leonard hearns 1 would be a good example, hunted turned hunter, still didn't work, so full on sh*t or bust.

guess by definition its easier for the back foot boxer to try coming forward, than the front foot brawler guy who's losing to do much... other than call the guy on!

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Mon 16 Sep 2013, 12:43 pm

Front foot brawlers tend to be so for a reason........

Don't like the guy but Honey turned southpaw against Starling.............Didn't work and got outclassed.......But he tried something!!, anything and good luck to him !!!

Great fighters don't accept their fater..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Mon 16 Sep 2013, 12:57 pm

i agree with truss. honeyghan was great:D 

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3