The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anglo-Welsh League on the cards.

+6
LondonTiger
Pot Hale
doctor_grey
Exiledinborders
Ozzy3213
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
10 posters

Go down

Anglo-Welsh League on the cards. Empty Anglo-Welsh League on the cards.

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Sun 15 Sep 2013, 8:49 pm

Big whispers of a merger of the four regions with the English PRL,thoughts? anyone else heard this?

Back to top Go down

Anglo-Welsh League on the cards. Empty Re: Anglo-Welsh League on the cards.

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 15 Sep 2013, 8:51 pm

Not heard it and suspect it's unlikely.
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Sun 15 Sep 2013, 9:05 pm

Sarries boss wants it, relegation into the Welsh prem if a region was to drop and Europe places up for grabs

Back to top Go down

Post by Exiledinborders Sun 15 Sep 2013, 9:10 pm

One thing is clear the Welsh regions are with the English and French clubs in the current split in European Rugby. They after all voted for Peter Wheeler for the ERC chairmanship.

Exiledinborders

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 16 Sep 2013, 2:17 am

Don't think voting for Peter Wheeler implies the Welsh as a group want to join the English and French sides in this dispute.  If they did, they would have said something already. 

On the other hand, a good mate is chairman of his club in Wales.  Last week he told me about the rumour, and said it was there off and on the last few years.  He told me he more or less ignored it in the past but felt it had nothing to do with the current situation.  More about joining a higher profile league to make more money.  But he also believes it has no real credibility.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Mon 16 Sep 2013, 2:38 am

No surprises if the Welsh regions were to cut and run from the Pro 12.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Mon 16 Sep 2013, 2:45 am

If the Welsh did bolt, what do you think would happen to the Scots, Italians, and especially the Irish teams?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:23 am

I have heard rather large whispers that the Welsh Regions want to cut a deal with English/French. However as Steve Lewis and the WRU are vehemently opposed is it likely?

Quieter suggestions that LNR have been courting the Italians.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:30 am

Don't see how this could work. Increase the Premiership to 16 teams or simply kick 4 clubs down to the Championship? There is a consensus that AP teams play too many games already. As for relegating 4 English teams, remember the legal challenges that London Welsh put forward? I can’t imagine the 4 English clubs taking it lying down.

How would you decide which English teams dropped out? League position? Considering the likely bottom four this season (and probably next for that matter), you could probably say goodbye to top flight rugby North of the East Midlands.

This isn’t meant to sound condescending, but why do we need the Welsh regions? Domestically our league is a good product (hate that term) very competitive and teams can go from Europe to relegation battles very quickly. We’d be screwing the Scottish, Irish and Italians out of their league for very little gain (as far as I see it).

Come to think of it, don’t PRL teams have to vote on things like this? Why would these particular turkeys vote for Christmas?
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:35 am

Without LV and Euro weeks, plenty of weekends for extra fixtures. There was also talk of introducing a system whereby you have two pools of 10 (would mean 4 extra teams needed) who then have playoffs.

However despite noises from Nigel Wray, much of what I have heard is that the regions want to side with Anglo/French ideas for a European tournament.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Mon 16 Sep 2013, 7:50 am

We're supposedly filling the Euro weekends up with this propsed Franglais cup competition. The LV weekends are mainly played during the international windows.

The problem with the two pools of ten is that the teams would lose two home games a season which would be a hit on the clubs venues. Plus would the Welsh teams be THAT much of a bigger draw? Maybe down in the West Country but I can't really see what the Dragons would bring to the league.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 16 Sep 2013, 10:21 am

I think the time for the welsh to join has passed unless they go to a 16 team league dropping down to 14 after 2 years. (1 up 2 down for 2 years)

I think the pro8 would be fine if there was a euro competition

It would make the euro debate much more interesting if it did happen

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Brendan Mon 16 Sep 2013, 10:24 am

Also not sure if the english clubs would allow the WRU to give money to the welsh clubs and how would the eps work or the extra money for playing a certain number of english men.

Brendan

Back to top Go down

Post by Intotouch Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:32 am

What's in it for the Enlish clubs? More competition, more likelihood of relegation, not much bigger tv audience, new sides with poor to average attendance figures. I don't see the attraction myself.

Intotouch

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 16 Sep 2013, 11:53 am

DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:Sarries boss wants it, relegation into the Welsh prem if a region was to drop and Europe places up for grabs
That just wouldn't work. How could, for aguement sake, the Ospreys be relegated to the Welsh prem to play against Swansea, Neath and Bridgend? That would mean for 6 fixtures a season the Ospreys would be playing against one of their own feeder teams, and could weaken that team in order to win. Makes no sense.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Mon 16 Sep 2013, 12:01 pm

ScarletSpiderman wrote:
DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:Sarries boss wants it, relegation into the Welsh prem if a region was to drop and Europe places up for grabs
That just wouldn't work.  How could, for aguement sake, the Ospreys be relegated to the Welsh prem to play against Swansea, Neath and Bridgend?  That would mean for 6 fixtures a season the Ospreys would be playing against one of their own feeder teams, and could weaken that team in order to win.  Makes no sense.
I imagine it would mean clubs and regions stand alone.

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Mon 16 Sep 2013, 12:15 pm

DeludedOptimistorjustDave wrote:
ScarletSpiderman wrote:
That just wouldn't work.  How could, for aguement sake, the Ospreys be relegated to the Welsh prem to play against Swansea, Neath and Bridgend?  That would mean for 6 fixtures a season the Ospreys would be playing against one of their own feeder teams, and could weaken that team in order to win.  Makes no sense.
I imagine it would mean clubs and regions stand alone.
Can't really be done though, Cardiff & Cardiff Blues being based at the Arms Park, and Llanelli & The Scarlets being based at PYS. It would only work IF they disbanded all the regions, and went back to the old welsh prem etc. In which case it should be Ponty, Llandovery, Llanelli & Bedwas, going into the Jeff, and I really can't see anyone from the English side of the bridge buying into that.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down