The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saracens offer Bath fans refund if Gavin Henson scores.

+14
Portnoy's Complaint
Scrumpy
SirBurger
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
DeludedOptimistorjustDave
Bathite
formerly known as Sam
maestegmafia
bedfordwelsh
gregortree
beshocked
Bathman_in_London
Irish Londoner
Coleman
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Saracens offer Bath fans refund if Gavin Henson scores. Empty Saracens offer Bath fans refund if Gavin Henson scores.

Post by Coleman Tue 17 Sep 2013, 9:47 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24120369

Saracens will give Bath fans a full refund on their tickets if centre Gavin Henson scores in Sunday's Premiership match between the two sides.
The London side top the Premiership and host third-placed Bath at Allianz Park.
Fans will need a Bath postcode as their home address to qualify for a refund.

"If Gavin Henson scores a point this Sunday we will give Bath fans their money back. It really is that simple." Clare Jackson

Great marketing. It's a bit cheeky sure but I think it'll really generate some interest in this game! C'mon Gav!

Coleman

Back to top Go down

Saracens offer Bath fans refund if Gavin Henson scores. Empty Re: Saracens offer Bath fans refund if Gavin Henson scores.

Post by Irish Londoner Tue 17 Sep 2013, 10:13 am

I’m pretty sure he’ll score in London next weekend just not sure it will be at Allianz Park……

Whistle

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Saracens offer Bath fans refund if Gavin Henson scores. Empty Re: Saracens offer Bath fans refund if Gavin Henson scores.

Post by Bathman_in_London Tue 17 Sep 2013, 10:18 am

I hope they give Gav a penalty in front of the posts...

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 17 Sep 2013, 10:20 am

Irish Londoner. Nice one.thumbsup 

I wonder if Bath will decide to let Henson kick if they get a penalty in front of the posts.......

Bit of cheeky mind games though. How did Tango man perform vs Leicester?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 17 Sep 2013, 10:28 am

Sarries missed a trick here: should be a refund if Henson gets KOd by a team mate - between purchase of ticket and up to final whistle.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 17 Sep 2013, 10:31 am

True gregortree or maybe have a sweep stake. How long can Henson stay on the pitch before a) knocked out by team mate (as you said), b) knocked out by saracens player, c) knocks himself out.

Perhaps a refund if he stays on the pitch for the whole 80.

Bath fans just make sure you don't give Henson alcohol!

Last edited by beshocked on Tue 17 Sep 2013, 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by bedfordwelsh Tue 17 Sep 2013, 10:31 am

Haha well you cant knock their marketing ploy or the bit of cheek.
bedfordwelsh
bedfordwelsh

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 17 Sep 2013, 10:37 am

Bathman_in_London wrote:I hope they give Gav a penalty in front of the posts...
Ha ha ha ...!

Me too... I said he would be a club favourite.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 17 Sep 2013, 10:56 am

Yes, it's a knockout marketing ploy.
It was we Glos 'post code' fans being baited last week, so well done their marketing dept.

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 17 Sep 2013, 11:00 am

gregortree wrote:Yes, it's a knockout marketing ploy.
It was we Glos 'post code' fans being baited last week, so well done their marketing dept.
Well if it means Henson gets red carded in the 1st couple of minutes.....

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Tue 17 Sep 2013, 11:03 am

He was poor against Tigers and Eastmond may be back so the chance of it occurring may be reduced.

Great bit of fun though, a Sarries marketing gimick that isn't embarrassing, at last!

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by gregortree Tue 17 Sep 2013, 11:07 am

Will Sarries will appoint Len Goodman to advise the TMO ?

gregortree

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Tue 17 Sep 2013, 11:15 am

It's interesting because he didn't have a great game last week and could easily be dropped from the 23 altogether. Not sure if Eastmond will be fit, but there's Williams back in the A league last night and playing well by all accounts as well

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by DeludedOptimistorjustDave Tue 17 Sep 2013, 8:26 pm

Sarries are becoming easier to dislike by the week, to single out a player like this with financial gain for some fans looming over his head is bang out of order.
The whole plastic nature of their marketing over the last few seasons has been nauseating but to single out a player has crossed a line.
They have surpassed Toulons daft Haka on the who really gives a f""", far to many people pulling the strings behind the scenes who don't have a clue what rugby is about.

DeludedOptimistorjustDave

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 18 Sep 2013, 8:37 am

Typically tasteless gesture

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 18 Sep 2013, 8:55 am

Deluded Gavin Henson is a plonker. I don't feel any sympathy for him.

aslongasbut100ofus it's promoting the match. You need to lighten up.

Generating publicity for the match is good. It's not as if Saracens are lampooning a Bath hero, they are lampooning the orange one (a player who has already been knocked out by a team mate I should add).

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Wed 18 Sep 2013, 8:55 am

Maybe I am old fashioned but this really doesn't sit very well with me. Henson has his detractors and I am hardly his biggest fan, but it is a very very cheap shot against someone who used to be employed by the club. It is a real shame that Saracens can't adopt the 'once a Wasp, always a Wasp' slogan that has been followed by a number of other Premiership sides.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 18 Sep 2013, 9:05 am

sirburger he left the club after a handful of games. Henson has a history of controversy. It's a chance for Henson to win hearts and minds at his new club, plus take some money off Saracens.

I don't think it's bad as made out by some of you.

If Bath did it back with Stevens or Borthwick I would find it amusing.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Wed 18 Sep 2013, 9:06 am

I am aware that he was only at Saracens for a couple of games and that he hardly covered himself in glory during that time, but it still doesn't really endear the club to me. Maybe I am overreacting, but it is just one of those things I'm not going to change my mind about.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 18 Sep 2013, 9:18 am

sirburger that's fair enough. Saracens aren't looking for your love to be frank.

Saracens won't ever be a popular side despite being one of the least dirty sides in the AP, scoring more tries than some of the "exciting" teams, having a decent academy, helping the England side with coaching etc.

I think using Henson to promote the game is good. It gets people talking about the game.

Saracens will leave the popularity contest to the likes of Exeter - the darlings of the AP.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 18 Sep 2013, 9:22 am

beshocked wrote:sirburger he left the club after a handful of games.
Saracens still bitter he left them while injured for a bigger deal offered by Toulon...?

That what you get if you pick a good playmaking inside centre/flyhalf outside Farrell and Barritt. To be fair to anyone outside those too, they rarely gave the ball. It's no surprise he wanted out.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 18 Sep 2013, 9:33 am

Yes maestegmafia I am still really upset Henson left us. We were only stuck with a rookie at 10 who led us to a 1st AP title. It was tough.Laugh 

Henson lasted a long time at Toulon too right?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 18 Sep 2013, 9:33 am

beshocked wrote:sirburger that's fair enough. Saracens aren't looking for your love to be frank.

Saracens won't ever be a popular side despite being one of the least dirty sides in the AP, scoring more tries than some of the "exciting" teams, having a decent academy, helping the England side with coaching etc.

I think using Henson to promote the game is good. It gets people talking about the game.

Saracens will leave the popularity contest to the likes of Exeter - the darlings of the AP.
What, you mean that side that just gets on with its rugby, continues to confound expectation that they will drop back down, and doesn't go in for tasteless gimmicks?

Chief

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 18 Sep 2013, 9:44 am

Cheap tacky gimmicks seem to be Sarries thing these days.

It will be a free Fez for all next!
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 18 Sep 2013, 10:02 am

beshocked wrote:Yes maestegmafia I am still really upset Henson left us. We were only stuck with a rookie at 10 who led us to a 1st AP title. It was tough.Laugh 

Henson lasted a long time at Toulon too right?

I noticed this was upsetting you Sarries fans. The amount of antagonism towards Henson in your posts is obvious.

You feel let down that a club bigger than yourselves so easily poached your player.

Henson lasted until the contract Toulon offered him stipulated he had to retire from playing for Wales at the RWC he wanted to play at the RWC so turned it down.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 18 Sep 2013, 10:10 am

Saracens' marketing strategies?
censored 

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Wed 18 Sep 2013, 10:11 am

Has anyone in the media down Bath way got a comment from the club or the man himself?

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 18 Sep 2013, 11:15 am

alasbut100ofus sit on your high horse if you wish. Exeter are far from perfect - hence no international players and don't look like title contenders yet. No impact in Europe either yet.

Need to add some star quality if they are to get to the next level.

Maestegmafia if you want to take that deluded opinion than by all means.

Toulon are the club that every one should aspire to be like are they? A team of ageing foreigners and a poor academy?

Poached? Hardly - more like given away with open arms.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Wed 18 Sep 2013, 11:19 am

beshocked wrote:Toulon are the club that every one should aspire to be like are they? A team of ageing foreigners and a poor academy.
They are much like Saracens I agree.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 18 Sep 2013, 11:22 am

The feeling is that it's a disrespectful and rather childish stunt using Hensons celeb status to draw attention to themselves.

I can see Bath not playing him to be honest this week which would make Sarries look a bit foolish, but to be honest I hope he does play and lands a long range penalty to win it at the death.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 18 Sep 2013, 11:23 am

maestegmafia wrote:
beshocked wrote:Toulon are the club that every one should aspire to be like are they? A team of ageing foreigners and a poor academy.
They are much like Saracens I agree.
maestegmafia the worrying thing is I think you believe the rubbish you write.

Saracens poor academy? Guys like Farrell,Goode,Fraser and Kruis are poor right?

Ageing foreigners? Really? Compare average age of Saracens squad to Toulon squad?

Scrumpy not sure how it's foolish it is for Saracens if Henson doesn't play. If he plays there's a potential for Bath fans to get a refund.

It generates buzz for a game from one of the most controversial and overhyped players in rugby - Gavin Henson.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 18 Sep 2013, 11:28 am

Cheap and tacky = Sarries.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 18 Sep 2013, 11:33 am

Scrumpy wrote:Cheap and tacky = Sarries.
If you say so Hersh.

Sarries will do most of the talking on the pitch I expect. Need to put bring Bath down off their lofty high horse.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 18 Sep 2013, 11:35 am

Rather sad that Sarries have to generate a buzz for a game like this in the 1st place.

Maybe on the return fixture Bath should do something similar, no, no wait we don't need to do that to generate a Buzz at the Rec.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 18 Sep 2013, 11:46 am

why is it sad? You would feel Bath need a bit more fire in the belly. Haven't exactly performed well vs Sarries in the last few years - you've lost the last 6 matches.

http://www.premiershiprugby.com/matchcentre/fixtures/28873.php

I wouldn't mind if Bath do a similar thing.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 18 Sep 2013, 11:52 am

beshocked wrote:alasbut100ofus sit on your high horse if you wish. Exeter are far from perfect - hence no international players and don't look like title contenders yet. No impact in Europe either yet.

Toulon are the club that every one should aspire to be like are they? A team of ageing foreigners and a poor academy?

Don't think anyone claimed they were Headscratch

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 18 Sep 2013, 11:55 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
beshocked wrote:alasbut100ofus sit on your high horse if you wish. Exeter are far from perfect - hence no international players and don't look like title contenders yet. No impact in Europe either yet.

Don't think anyone claimed they were Headscratch
They didn't alasbut100ofus but you puffed out your chest in regards to Exeter.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 18 Sep 2013, 11:56 am

You right maybe we should.

Hows this?

If Banners smashes Ashtons face with a forearm and gets away with it then Sarrie fans (all 85 of them) can have a refund.

Then we can go one better than Sarries - Cheap, Tacky and Nasty! thumbsup 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:05 pm

Scrumpy that's not the same thing is it? Even you should be able to work that out. Saracens are not condoning violence.

If Banahan did that to Ashton he would get a straight red.

An equivalent would be giving a refund if Stevens or Borthwick scores a try. Hardly offensive.

Why do the moderators not ban posters like you and ghost? Do you keep their families hostage or something?

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:12 pm

beshocked wrote:
If Banahan did that to Ashton he would get a straight red.
Not if he got away with it!

Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:15 pm

How about Sarries fans can have a refund if Banners knocks out any Sarries player, by any means possible.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:16 pm

If you think that's the same as offering a refund for scoring points then you truly cannot be helped.

Plus you are being very disrespectful yourself.

I could easily trash your club but I won't.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:19 pm

On one hand I think Sarries should be commended for these marketing ploys. They are using their financial clout to get people through the gates. On the other hand they perhaps could go about it another way. I know there was a lot of distrust from Glaws supporters about this, as there was the belief (which is now proved misguided) that Sarries would announce how many Glaws fans had predicted a Sarries win. In this instance you have to presume they have selected Henson because he's an ex-Sarries player, not because he's a prat. So as with the Glaws game, perhaps the marketing team could and should be clearer in communicating their intentions.

Moreover, you do have to question why they are putting in initiatives to bring in away supporters. Surely with the size of Allianz Park the focus should be to pack it out with home supporters?
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:23 pm

beshocked wrote:If you think that's the same as offering a refund for scoring points then you truly cannot be helped.

Plus you are being very disrespectful yourself.

I could easily trash your club but I won't.
But that’s the whole point isn't it. My pretended offer of a refund if Banners knocks out any Sarries player is cheap and nasty and has no place in our game.

Many Bath fans find this offer offensive tacky and cheap. Henson is a player who is trying to get his career back on track (for once I think he wants to) yet Sarries are using him to promote a game as they know the media circus will lap it up, not in the spirit of the game imo.

Poor show fella.

Last edited by Scrumpy on Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:27 pm

Bath should laugh this off and look to beat Saracens. That's what I would do.

HKC do you really want to know how many predicted a Sarries win?

I agree with your last bit but this is about creating buzz for the match.

The Saracens-Bath match up is not a big rivalry. Certainly nowhere near comparable to Bath-Leicester or Bath -Gloucester.

Adding a bit of spice with the ex-player isn't bad in my opinion.

I thought this was far less disrespectful than the fat lady stunt for example.

As I said on another post Henson is a fool if this annoys him. He should be flattered actually.

Scrumpy it's a lot less offensive than you seem to think. Henson has flitted from club to club, even at your own club he's been knocked out by a team mate. Saracens have given Henson the opportunity to stick two fingers up at Saracens. Bath can do that too.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:35 pm

beshocked wrote: Saracens have given Henson the opportunity to stick two fingers up at Saracens. Bath can do that too.
Classy! Laugh 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:38 pm

Beshocked, personally I wouldn't have minded to know how many predicted a win for Sarries, as my view was if we won I don't mind paying and if we lost then at least it was free! The concern amongst some fans was that this would be used as a divisive step to announce how little faith we had in our team!!

Personally, I don't find the Henson aspect disrespectful.  It's not as if your saying if he punches someone, combs his hair, swears at a fan, etc then you'll give a refund; you're saying if he scores its free.  There is no disrespect in that gesture.  As per my earlier point, I just feel your marketing team need to be a little bit more up front about why they are doing this.  I am sure there is nothing under hand, but people in general fear change and it could be easy to misunderstand your intentions; which given the response of the first 3 rounds has probably happened.  In general you should be given a lot of credit for this.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:42 pm

Tango should get photographed with Wray after he kicks the first three match points for his side.

Give him bunny ears, Gav!

Now that's classy disrespect for a total pr!ck.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:44 pm

Bath set to offer refund to Sarries fans if Matt Stevens has white line fever!

thumbsup 
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 18 Sep 2013, 12:46 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Bath set to offer refund to Sarries fans if Matt Stevens has white line fever!

thumbsup 
picard 
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next