The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hagler: The Light Heavyweight

+8
88Chris05
hogey
Lumbering_Jack
ONETWOFOREVER
hazharrison
Strongback
TRUSSMAN66
Rodney
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Hagler: The Light Heavyweight  - Page 2 Empty Hagler: The Light Heavyweight

Post by Rodney Wed 18 Sep 2013, 10:39 am

First topic message reminder :

As mentioned over numerous threads Marvins all time standing differs,a stick that we can beat Marvin with is the one of not stepping up to face Michael Spinks at LHW.

What is the general consensus on how we feel Hagler would've fared in an era from lets say the late 70s to the mid 80s? A strong era against some big strong LHWs , Dwight Qawi, Eddie Mustafa Muhammad, John Conteh, Michael Spinks, Matthew Saad Muhammad & Marvin Johnson.

Is it a fanciful thought that Hagler may have lost to all these guys ?

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Hagler: The Light Heavyweight  - Page 2 Empty Re: Hagler: The Light Heavyweight

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 19 Sep 2013, 11:29 am

The fac tremains in conclusion..........Mayweather gets hammered for asking for catchweight whilst taking on top fighters whilst everybody loves watching marvin fight crud..........

Let's be honest Spinks was available and was interested..he never rated Hagler.......Remember when Leonard retired..in 83.

"Where have all the great fighters gone ..I guess I'm the last of the great fighters"

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 19 Sep 2013, 11:37 am

Truss you can't be upset at folk diminishing Mayweathers catchweight exploits, when you have heavily criticised Manny and refused to acknowledge some terrific wins, you can't have a special rule for your pet fighter.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 19 Sep 2013, 11:42 am

Hagler carved out an all-time great middleweight reign. He's ranked as one of the finest middleweight champions of all time. That was obviously more important to him than flitting about at different weights (looking for imaginary offers and paydays). If Spinks was so keen on a Hagler match, why didn't he drop to middleweight (where Hagler was the attraction) and get in line? Hagler would have obliged him. It's a one-eyed argument.

I don't believe Mayweather is criticised for requesting catch weights. His record (which is excellent) is light of top fighters in their prime and at their best weight (some of whom were available to him but he neglected to face). That's on him. Why try and sully the names of legitimately great fighters?

Lennox Lewis is in a similar position to Floyd (there's a better argument for you). He failed to meet Bowe (his ultimate challenge) and took on faded version of Holyfield and Tyson. The only thing he has over Floyd is that he didn't choose for that to be the case -- Lewis wanted to fight all of them.

I'm a huge Lewis fan but I rank him accordingly (not that my ranking means anything in the grand scheme of things).

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 19 Sep 2013, 11:46 am

No offence but you and Rod are two rose tinters who always look to put mayweather down.......

Hagler is overrated for me. I have Hoppo higher........Duran had it all against him when he took Hagler on but he took him on.........

25 pounds higher than where he started.......at 135..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by hazharrison Thu 19 Sep 2013, 12:01 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:No offence but you and Rod are two rose tinters who always look to put mayweather down.......

Hagler is overrated for me.  I have Hoppo higher........Duran had it all against him when he took Hagler on but he took him on.........

25 pounds higher than where he started.......at 135..
Hopkins couldn't carry Hagler's jockstrap.

hazharrison

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Thu 19 Sep 2013, 12:07 pm

Hopkins ?

The same guy who was outfoxed by Jermain Taylor twice , Hagler one of the most complete fighters I've seen.

Cheers Rodders
Rodney
Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 19 Sep 2013, 12:07 pm

Let's forget Spinks..........

"Hearns doesn't deserve another fight".............That was after the "Fight of the decade" and after Hearns banged out Shuler who was number 1 contender in the WBC and WBA..

Leonard and Mugabi deserved fights though.....

I think Hoppo deserves a little bit more credit than that......can't see him drawing with Vito.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Sep 2013, 12:15 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Let's forget Spinks..........

"Hearns doesn't deserve another fight".............That was after the "Fight of the decade" and after Hearns banged out Shuler who was number 1 contender in the WBC and WBA..

I think Hoppo deserves a little bit more credit than that......can't see him drawing with Vito.
You can see a boring spoiler like Hopkins getting a win in ITALY? What ARE you smoking big fella?

Even Leonard says that Marv was robbed against Vito and that it was a poor decision.

Behave yourself.

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 19 Sep 2013, 12:25 pm

DAVE667 wrote:
TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Let's forget Spinks..........

You can see a boring spoiler like Hopkins getting a win in ITALY? What ARE you smoking big fella?

Even Leonard says that Marv was robbed against Vito and that it was a poor decision.

Behave yourself.
Vito fought him in America.......

Mate If you go on the main menu and scroll down you'll see "music" and "off topic" sections...........Just so you know..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Sep 2013, 12:29 pm

My bad...apologies in order...anyway do you see Hopkins getting a four round win over him? When was the last time Hoppo took anyone out early?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 19 Sep 2013, 12:35 pm

Vito was horrendously cut early in the rematch...........and it was stopped on cuts..

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Sep 2013, 12:36 pm

So who caused the cuts? Shaving accident or Hagler? When does Hoppo bust someone up that badly they have to stop the fight?

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 19 Sep 2013, 12:39 pm

You didn't know why it was stopped did you ???Wink 

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 19 Sep 2013, 12:49 pm

Accidental clash of heads in the first but as I said, the fight still went four rounds so he was clearly able to continue. Marv put him down and opened another cut with punches.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2