The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frankie Gavin

+2
compelling and rich
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
6 posters

Go down

Frankie Gavin Empty Frankie Gavin

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Sat 21 Sep 2013, 10:48 pm

Campaigning at Welter he seems to be in a tricky position with Warren.

Normally the promoter who can steer his fighters to an easy world title.

But whats the reason for Gavin stagnating on nonsense undercards under Warren.....

Is it due to him having absolutely zero appeal to the masses?

Not a very friendly on the eye style? (good KO ratio but having watched most of his fights I can barely remember any of them)

Or the WBO belt actually currently being held with a fighter with a pulse (Bradley)?

Normally you can sort of guess where a fighter is headed after 17 bouts. But I cant see what Warren's long term plan is going to be.

The Welter (and light welter) divisions are stacked to the rafters and there isn't any weak champions. So how will Warren get Bradley stripped of the WBO in order for Gavin to get it is the question?

No seriously, whats your thoughts on what or how Gavin can make it too world level with a promoter who rarely puts his guys in with a world title challenge unless its almost nailed on that they are going to win it.

There is nobody out there who he is nailed on to beat, so with Warren he may continue to be happy in shopping centres fighting in front of 4 people.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Frankie Gavin Empty Re: Frankie Gavin

Post by compelling and rich Sat 21 Sep 2013, 10:59 pm

not sure i can put so much blame on warren (despite me often liking to) for gavin. always seems like he's half interested and doesn't have the right attitude, from being the golden amateur approaching the Olympics to not making weight he just seems to be going backwards or at least stagnating. warren of course wont risk him, but if he was really knocking on the door of world level warren would find a way eventually, think both are happy where they are at the minute

compelling and rich

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumbering_Jack Sat 21 Sep 2013, 11:00 pm

He's a lazy good for nothing. Forgettable in the ring and even more forgettable outside of it.

Frankly I could care less what happens to him next.

Lumbering_Jack

Back to top Go down

Post by School Project Mon 23 Sep 2013, 5:43 pm

I'm with Jack,

Leading up to the Beijing Olympics there was a lot of buzz around Frankie Gavin - but to leave it to the last minute to make weight and fail superbly to do so kind of set the template of what Frank Warren was signing.

The kid had a free trip to the World Stage and (in all likelihood) a guaranteed Medal - The fact is, he couldn't be bothered.

The reason he's a Welterweight now is because his life style is poor, I don't care what anyone says, the kid could cut weight and rehydrate easily.

I hate to say it, but there's only so many plumbers and faded veterans I can watch a prospect fight before becoming bored of him - but even when you compare him to the likes of Kell Brook can you honestly say he has a career in the Welterweight division above Brit to Euro level?

I'll give him 2 or 3 more years of padding his record until he's given a title shot somewhere in the US, where he's horribly exposed and drops back to British level for other prospects to feed off.

School Project

Back to top Go down

Post by Cast a Shadow Mon 23 Sep 2013, 7:33 pm

Agree with much of what has been said here.

I really rate Gavin's technical ability and boxing brain. There are a few unknowns, such as the extent to which he can dish out and take shots at a higher level, but I'd say many of the attributes you're looking for from a top level fighter are there.

Big question is about his fighting at 147 and to what extent this is a comfortable choice rather than the idea that hitting 140 would genuinely take too much out of him. I'm with those who think he's jumped through the weight classes too quickly to have simply grown out of them, and there always seems to be a few pounds there that need not be.

Appreciate he had an opponent last weekend who is not easy to look good against, but it was a truly shocking fight where Gavin could have been more assertive without it being a huge risk. Was really disappointed with both men on the night and had it a bit closer than the judges, albeit with Gavin winning.

Cast a Shadow

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Mon 23 Sep 2013, 7:37 pm

I like his talent, but like most, find myself frustrated by his lack of progress.

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down