The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marland Yarde Try - Anything dodgy or fair play?

+9
Ozzy3213
Brendan
stnick88
Heaf
beshocked
Big
ScarletSpiderman
Portnoy's Complaint
clivemcl
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Marland Yarde Try - Anything dodgy or fair play? - Page 2 Empty Marland Yarde Try - Anything dodgy or fair play?

Post by clivemcl Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:49 am

First topic message reminder :

Here it is if you havn't seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U8wNPqIdss

Basically, Yarde is offside being treated for cramp. Well not technically offside since he's not actively participating.

The play then heads his direction and he gets up to take a pass and score.

Now, I know that technically he did nothing wrong and only joined in when played onside by his teammates.

My question is this though, defence is a very technical thing these days and so Can you not argue that because he wasn't part of the backline from the ruck, the defending team didn't have a fair chance at arranging their defence.

Simply put, maybe players committed to tackles because they believed there was a one-on-one, two-on-two, only to find that in another five yards, the other team suddenly find themselves with an extra man.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Marland Yarde Try - Anything dodgy or fair play? - Page 2 Empty Re: Marland Yarde Try - Anything dodgy or fair play?

Post by Heaf Thu 26 Sep 2013, 5:30 pm

I don't believe he can do no wrong - I don't believe that of anybody - I just don't happen to think he did in this case ... I understand what you are saying, I just don't happen to agree with you - I'm sure others will agree or disagree also - that's life.

Anyway I thought you couldn't be bothered arguing Smile

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Marland Yarde Try - Anything dodgy or fair play? - Page 2 Empty Re: Marland Yarde Try - Anything dodgy or fair play?

Post by beshocked Thu 26 Sep 2013, 5:34 pm

You are right Heaf. I just needed to add another response for Ozzy's benefit.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Thu 26 Sep 2013, 5:40 pm

Smile

Now if you want to see something that gets my goat take a look at the match between LI & Chiefs on the Prem Rugby TV site 36 minutes in - how Johnson didn't get a card is a complete mystery ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Ozzy3213 Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:01 pm

beshocked wrote:Heaf I already explained it to you but obviously you are finding it far too difficult to understand.

Ozzy well it is debatable hence we are still talking about it. Was there a forward pass for example?

I know you want to act all high and mighty but get off your high horse.

This dodgy try (in my opinion) didn't make much difference to the result.

Does this incident make me a lose a bit of respect for London Irish and Marland Yarde? Yes.

Look I understand Marland Yarde is a London Irish player and you believe he can do no wrong. That's fair enough I suppose but not very balanced.

You can off course debate the forward pass earlier in the move, as it was borderline, and whatever bias you have one way or another will undoubtedly come into play when forming your opinion. No horses here anyway chief, high or low, it's not me been on here all day arguing the point with allcomers. Wink 

And I am sure that Marland and the club are very upset to have lost a bit of your respect and will do everything in their power to regain it starting with surrendering meekly at London Irish West this weekend! Wink Laugh 
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Thu 26 Sep 2013, 8:34 pm

Does anyone remember the match last year when an Ulster player was injured but tried valiantly to rejoin the defensive line despite being almost unable to walk?

I think there was a kick forward and the ref, who didn't seem to have noticed that the lad was reasonably seriously injured, gave a penalty against him for being in front of the kick!

It was a bit of a farce. I may not have got the details right. Anyone recall it more accurately than me?

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 27 Sep 2013, 8:56 am

I don't recall it MrsP - but it does seem to show a lack of nous from the ref.

The one difference is that you suggest there was a kick ahead thus making the player offside. This never happened in the LI case. Having checked with a Hertfordshire referee assessor Yarde was not offside, pretty much for the reasons I gave earlier in the thread.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Fri 27 Sep 2013, 9:08 am

Hang on a minute let's suspend the laws of the game and assume that what Yarde did was actually was wrong (as opposed to looking wrong/being wrong because it happened against Saracens) - anyone who has ever played the game at any level knows that part of the game is getting one over on the referee - and IF Yarde had broken any rules (which we all seem to agree he didn't) fair play to him.
To take a famous example - any Tigers fans out there call Neil Back a cheat for knocking the ball out of Stringers hands ?

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 27 Sep 2013, 11:36 am

Plenty of other fans do though IL.

Yarde was guilty of being cheeky, nothing more.

Now for me Beshocked is making himself look a bit silly BUT if Ashton had done it this board would have been in uproar.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:08 pm

I don't have a problem with Ashton personally - he's scored some good tries for England although maybe he's gone off the boil a bit lately - and I wish he wouldn't do the splash when playing for England, only because one day he's bound to drop it - but I don't know why some people really seem to have it in for him ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:25 pm

Irish Londoner wrote:Hang on a minute let's suspend the laws of the game and assume that what Yarde did was actually was wrong (as opposed to looking wrong/being wrong because it happened against Saracens) - anyone who has ever played the game at any level knows that part of the game is getting one over on the referee - and IF Yarde had broken any rules (which we all seem to agree he didn't) fair play to him.
To take a famous example - any Tigers fans out there call Neil Back a cheat for knocking the ball out of Stringers hands ?
Me? Will I do? Of course he cheated. How can I deny it?

Will I take the win? Yes, of course I will. It's not my fault if the ref was blind to what went on under his nose.
Just like Welshmen in the ball-boy incident v Ireland.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:28 pm

Plus Portnoy the odds of Munster actually scoring the try they needed were slight.

But yes he clearly cheated - something Yarde did not.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 27 Sep 2013, 12:39 pm

Doesn't matter. I was responding to a direct question. Tigers were winning by 6 points with almost nothing left on the clock.

But Backy cheated and denied Munster of any chance of winning.

That's why I approve of limited touchline appeals a la DRS. There are so many of supporting examples turning up like London buses recently.

Neil Back wrote:The Munster press and fans were livid though, labelling Back a cheat, to which he responded remorsefully shortly afterwards.

"In a way, I wish I hadn't done it," said Back.

"I have to be honest about it. I don't like people thinking I'm a cheat. I don't want that slur. I'm not a cheat. I had a lot of mail over that incident, mostly negative. There were letters saying I was a cheat, some of them from Leicester fans, which was a bit hurtful.

If people wanted to make me feel bad about what happened, they have. That's disappointing and I know it upset my wife, Alison. If I thought there was any possible way of redressing it, I would consider it. I regret it because I don't like to think that, because of that one incident, there are people who think I'm a cheat."

"It has tarnished my reputation. In making any judgement, I would hope people will evaluate me over my whole career and not label me on that one moment. It happened spontaneously. I weighed the options up in a split-second and did what I did."
http://www.rugbydump.com/2009/01/804/the-infamous-hand-of-back-incident-of-2002

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2