The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Most Under Achieving Current British Boxer

+14
Pedro147
Steffan
azania
AlexHuckerby
rodders
Mr Bounce
KingMonkey
Rowley
rIck_dAgless
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Soldier_Of_Fortune
Lance
TopHat24/7
seanmichaels
18 posters

Go down

Most Under Achieving Current British Boxer Empty Most Under Achieving Current British Boxer

Post by seanmichaels Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:37 am

1.) David Haye - Talented and powerful but doesn't fight enough and gave a horror show against Wladimir.

2.) James De Gale - All the talent but zero workrate. Doesn't seem to apply himself to the sport - too much money too soon. Career seemingly in a mess.

3.) Frankie Gavin - Stellar amateur career but stagnated in the pros and looking like a domestic fighter only these days. Out of ring issues clearly impacting him.

4.) Kell Brook - Had a lot of fights and been a fringe world contender for too long. If anything has gone backwards in the last few years and I have him as the underdog against Senchenko.

5.) Dereck Chisora - Possibly a bit harsh but has failed to prepare well on a couple too many occasions, most notably against Fury. Showed glimpses against Helenius Vitali and Haye that he can compete with the best at World level. Think he has a fighter's heart but is let down by inexperience on the big occasion.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Most Under Achieving Current British Boxer Empty Re: Most Under Achieving Current British Boxer

Post by TopHat24/7 Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:05 pm

David Price?

Good technical boxer with decent amateur pedigree (incl Olympic medal) and huge power and domineering stature but issues in the chin and gut department mean, even operating in a weak division, he'll probably never go beyond Euro level (despite always being a long way too good for domestic).

TopHat24/7

Back to top Go down

Most Under Achieving Current British Boxer Empty Re: Most Under Achieving Current British Boxer

Post by Lance Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:11 pm

Kevin Mitchell. Would rather be a rubbish gangster than a good boxer, but probably earns more doing it. Heard he was gonna take a dive against Burns....

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:34 pm

Ant Crolla Laugh

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Ryan Rhodes

Jamie Moore
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:37 pm

Sorry, just seen "current" Doh 
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:48 pm

nathan cleverley

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Rowley Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:50 pm

Gavin should be top for me. Don't think Haye under acheives, he beats the second Tier guys like Chiosra but loses to Wlad, think that is a pretty accurate description of his abilities.

Gavin however appears to have everything in his locker but the dedication to acheive his full potential, does not even have enough focus to cut some weight and fight in his optimum division.

Rowley
Admin
Admin

Location : I'm just a symptom of the modern decay that's gnawing at the heart of this country.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:52 pm

rick_dagless wrote:nathan cleverley
Rick are you still finding food a real bore at the moment?

What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:54 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Rick are you still finding food a real bore at the moment?

What I do is sometimes get a tin of soup, heat it up, poach an egg in it, serve that with a pork pie sausage roll.
round of berad, flattened out with a rolling pin, put cheese slices covering the flattened bread.

rollit all up in the style of a swiss roll then pop in the over until brown

ideal cheese dippers for any soup starter

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:57 pm

Price has a fundamental issue with his chin and has therefore achieved his pinnacle with the British and Commonwealth straps.

I think Haye deserves to be up there - there are questions to his pedigree at the heavyweight divison when in my opinion there shouldn't be. If he carries on the way he has he'll fall into the arreola, adamek and chambers group of fighters when I think he's clearly, or has the ability to be clearly better than them.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:00 pm

Last I heard the penny had dropped re Gavin. I really hope so.

Has to be Degale for me. He just seems to have got everything wrong but could definitely turn it around. Not sure his work rate is to blame, he just needs to change from his idiot trainer who has got everything out of him he can. Props for James' loyalty there I suppose but it's time to move on.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:01 pm

rick_dagless wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Rick are you still finding food a real bore at the moment?

round of berad, flattened out with a rolling pin, put cheese slices covering the flattened bread.

Slightly more sophisticated than eating monster much rings from a pepperami skewer...... Can't remember who wrote that but it was one of the funniest things I have read on here.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:04 pm

Kell Brook because he apparently has all the tools but he strikes me as such a "nothing" man. As stated above he is the fringe contender of all fringe contenders. He's been "on the verge of a world title shot" for the past 3 years. Injury or no injury he should have at least had a shot by now...

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by rIck_dAgless Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:15 pm

seanmichaels wrote:Slightly more sophisticated than eating monster much rings from a pepperami skewer...... Can't remember who wrote that but it was one of the funniest things I have read on here.
Man I forgot about those monster munch Pepperami things, would be right up there with a "donner canape" for any Jeremy Kyle theme party

rIck_dAgless
rik
rik

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:20 pm

Tyson Fury.

Hasn't even fought for a European title. Was British Champ and threw it in the bin when Price called to go and look for the Irish title.

Offered a world title eliminator and refused.

Whistle Whistle Whistle 
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:26 pm

seanmichaels wrote:
rick_dagless wrote:

Slightly more sophisticated than eating monster much rings from a pepperami skewer...... Can't remember who wrote that but it was one of the funniest things I have read on here.
I'll just get a Wimpy

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:00 pm

Carl Frampton - should really be challenging for a world title now but has stalled since battering Martinez.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:07 pm

How can you say Kell is going backwards, but is also the underdog, that means he is fighting someone of very good stature and by your reckoning better than him, sounds like a forward move to me.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:18 pm

I expected huge things from gavin. He looked as though he had everything. But perhaps the transition from world class amateur to world class pro is too much. He should at least shed a little timber and fight at lww.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:47 pm

Even if he fights at LWW, Warren is never going to let him off the leash at a top LWW or WW.

The WBO belts in those divisions are held by top guys (although Marquez is now fighting for the WBO Welter title so the LWW one should be passed to Alvardo who is interim champ).

But that said, could you seriously see Warren putting Gavin anywhere near guys like these. Gavin would get slapped silly.

Alvarado would walk him down into a serious hiding, Marquez would embarrass him, yaddy yadda yadda.

So I fail to see where Warren can manoeuvre Gavin too. Its not as if theres an easy belt to pick up in these divisions.

Gavin struggled with an ex footballer who got blasted by a domestic level fighter in Mathews last weekend for me makes this point valid.

I cant remember the last time I seen Gavin in a fight where I sat up and thought "this guy looks like he can be a world champion"
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:49 pm

AlexHuckerby wrote:How can you say Kell is going backwards, but is also the underdog, that means he is fighting someone of very good stature and by your reckoning better than him, sounds like a forward move to me.
He was supposed to be fighting Alexander. Senchenko is a step backwards.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:51 pm

Chunky is the biggest under achiever. He needs to sort it out

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:54 pm

Steffan wrote:Chunky is the biggest under achiever. He needs to sort it out
Did you not see the little mini movie channel 5 boxing made that time with DeGale sitting up an alley talking about how he is number 1 and Carl Froch doesn't want to fight him?? You don't get little mini movies like that made if you have gone backwards
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:56 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:
Steffan wrote:Chunky is the biggest under achiever. He needs to sort it out
Did you not see the little mini movie channel 5 boxing made that time with DeGale sitting up an alley talking about how he is number 1 and Carl Froch doesn't want to fight him?? You don't get little mini movies like that made if you have gone backwards
No they filmed that because......HE'S CHUNKY HE'S CHUNKY HE'S CHUNKY HE'S CHUNKY HE'S CHUNKY!!!

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:11 pm

How anyone can say Kell Brook is an under achiever beyond me when clearly his goal to be a 40 year old prospect and fringe world contender is beyond me

Only the other day he apparently stated:

'I cant lose yet otherwise em cloobs oop Sheffaiiiiiiiled stop us 'avin free drinks me and will me and Naz not like that I blooody tell ya'

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:25 pm

Rhaid i fwy na thebyg i fod yn Enzo. Yr oedd y byd ar ei draed. Os mai dim ond yr oedd ganddo well ên

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:31 pm

Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Rhaid i fwy na thebyg i fod yn Enzo. Yr oedd y byd ar ei draed. Os mai dim ond yr oedd ganddo well ên
I see you have learned to use Google Translate Laugh

Enzo is on the comeback. He will be a two weight world champion

Well he won't back down, no he won't back down
You could stand him up at the gates of hell
But Enzo won't back down

Gonna stand his ground, won't be turned around
And he'll keep this world from draggin' him down
Gonna stand his ground and Enzo won't back down

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:31 pm

"Rhiad thebyg"??

I thought they "Rhiad thesheep"
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

Back to top Go down

Post by Soldier_Of_Fortune Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:34 pm

Steffan wrote:
Soldier_Of_Fortune wrote:Rhaid i fwy na thebyg i fod yn Enzo. Yr oedd y byd ar ei draed. Os mai dim ond yr oedd ganddo well ên
I see you have learned to use Google Translate Laugh

Enzo is on the comeback. He will be a two weight world champion

Well he won't back down, no he won't back down
You could stand him up at the gates of hell
But Enzo won't back down

Gonna stand his ground, won't be turned around
And he'll keep this world from draggin' him down
Gonna stand his ground and Enzo won't back down
Hahaha thumbsup

Soldier_Of_Fortune

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:36 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:"Rhiad thebyg"??

Tut. Play nicely now my Irish/British/Couldntcareless friend warning 

Stereotypes on nationalities do not exactly go down a bomb on here...

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:27 pm

Steffan wrote:
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:"Rhiad thebyg"??

Tut. Play nicely now my Irish/British/Couldntcareless friend warning 

Stereotypes on nationalities do not exactly go down a bomb on here...
Apparently, the condom was invented in the early 1500s, originally made of lamb intestines. In Wales they call that anal.

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by Steffan Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:31 pm

Pedro147 wrote:Apparently, the condom was invented in the early 1500s, originally made of lamb intestines. In Wales they call that anal
Yeah I seen that one on Sickipedia yesterday. Not a bad effort

Steffan

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedro147 Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:32 pm

Steffan wrote:
Pedro147 wrote:Apparently, the condom was invented in the early 1500s, originally made of lamb intestines. In Wales they call that anal
Yeah I seen that one on Sickipedia yesterday. Not a bad effort
I googled it hahaha

Pedro147

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:38 pm

Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn wrote:Even if he fights at LWW, Warren is never going to let him off the leash at a top LWW or WW.

The WBO belts in those divisions are held by top guys (although Marquez is now fighting for the WBO Welter title so the LWW one should be passed to Alvardo who is interim champ).

But that said, could you seriously see Warren putting Gavin anywhere near guys like these. Gavin would get slapped silly.

Alvarado would walk him down into a serious hiding, Marquez would embarrass him, yaddy yadda yadda.

So I fail to see where Warren can manoeuvre Gavin too. Its not as if theres an easy belt to pick up in these divisions.

Gavin struggled with an ex footballer who got blasted by a domestic level fighter in Mathews last weekend for me makes this point valid.

I cant remember the last time I seen Gavin in a fight where I sat up and thought "this guy looks like he can be a world champion"
He won't fight for a major belt. Simply not good enough. Perhaps Warren will get him the IBO belt or something like that to sell to a gullible public.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperCert Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:58 pm

seanmichaels wrote:4.) Kell Brook - Had a lot of fights and been a fringe world contender for too long. If anything has gone backwards in the last few years and I have him as the underdog against Senchenko.
Stan James have Senchenko @ 6/1 for this.

SuperCert

Back to top Go down

Post by Seanusarrilius Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:08 pm

Degale - completely wasting his talent by fighting the same standard of opponent for 2/3 years.

Gavin - wasting away with Warren. Needs to jump ship

Seanusarrilius

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:32 pm

Kevin Mitchell by a mile...............Should never have lost to Katsidis and Burns..........Looked quality against Murray and prescott.......

Big disappoitment........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by huw Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:57 am

Hard to say on this one, we have many boxers that are up there and have if anything overachieved.

Would say DeGale but personally felt he was overrated after the Olympics.

Cleverly I thought would go on to great things when he first came on the scene but it is hard to say he underachieved when he was (on paper!) a world champion.

I guess you could say Brook but it seemed he was on his way until both his opponent and then Brook himself got injured in the build up.

Probably Frankie Gavin but again this is down to the promise he had shown in the amateurs compared to his current achievements.

The one I worry about in the future is Kid Galahad. I think he could go on to be avoided as he is a tricky fight and whilst with Mick is never going to be able to get in against Frampton or Quigg and without at least one of them he will struggle at anything past domestic level.

huw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down