The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ulster vs Treviso

+10
Golden
VinceWLB
profitius
Don Alfonso
Rory_Gallagher
rodders
Pete330v2
Standulstermen
clivemcl
Notch
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ulster vs Treviso Empty Ulster vs Treviso

Post by Notch Thu 26 Sep 2013 - 12:16

Ulster XV and replacements to face Benetton Treviso, RaboDirect PRO12, Ravenhill, Friday 27th September (kick off 19:05);

(15-9): C Gilroy, T Bowe, J Payne, L Marshall, M Allen, P Jackson, P Marshall;
(1-8): T Court, R Best (Captain), R Lutton, I Henderson, D Tuohy, R Diack, C Henry, R Wilson;

Replacements (16-23): R Herring, C Black, B Ross, L Stevenson, N Williams, M Heaney, J McKinney, D Cave.

Interesting team! Gilroy, Best and Bowe return. A completely Irish qualified pack of forwards. Muller rested and Williams rotated to the bench. Jared Payne at 13.

Big game this- at first Treviso didn't cause us much problems in the league... until two years ago when they turned us over at home and last year when they nearly repeated that feat, with the game ending in a draw. We really owe them one at Ravenhill.

Treviso start Mat Berquist, former Leinster and Crusaders 10 who shot down Munster last week. Nitoglia on the right wing is also a danger man as is the big unit Loumanu on the wing- who sometimes plays number 8. Gives an insight into what we're up against in terms of the physicality right throughout the visitors side. Last years unlikely hattrick hero in this fixture, backrow Dean Budd, is on the bench.

15 Luke McLean
14 Ludovico Nitoglia
13 Michele Campagnaro
12 Alberto Sgarbi
11 Christian Loamanu
10 Mat Berquist
9 Edoardo Gori
8 Manoa Vosawai
7 Alessandro Zanni
6 Simone Favaro
5 Marco Fuser
4 Antonio Pavanello (capitano)
3 Alberto De Marchi
2 Enrico Ceccato
1 Michele Rizzo

A disposizione:
16 Giovanni Maistri
17 Ignacio Fernandez-Rouyet
18 Pedro Di Santo
19 Valerio Bernabò
20 Dean Budd
21 Robert Barbieri
22 Fabio Semenzato
23 Alberto Di Bernardo

Very, very physical team. Ulster pack picked for an evening of trench warfare with Nick Williams our big impact player on the bench. But we have a lot more fire power out wide in this team than we've had in any game so far. Gonna be an interesting one

Last edited by Notch on Thu 26 Sep 2013 - 12:22; edited 2 times in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Ulster vs Treviso Empty Re: Ulster vs Treviso

Post by clivemcl Thu 26 Sep 2013 - 12:20

And there you have it. Payne at 13 and Gilroy at 15.

Very strong team there!

Also, Notch highlights the IQ pack.

The backline is also IQ bar one project who has a year left.

Also, only one NIQ on the bench.

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Thu 26 Sep 2013 - 12:20

I like the team but I just hope the disruption caused with returning players and new partnerships doesn't setup back. Would dearly love to see Marshall and Payne click

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 26 Sep 2013 - 12:23

Also, besides picking a guy who is comfortable at Number 8 on the wing, Treviso have put six forwards on the bench.

It's gonna be a battle, this one. Real physical match.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu 26 Sep 2013 - 12:31

Well it goes without saying, that's our strongest lineup so far and not before time. Treviso are one team who feel pretty confident when visiting Ravers and fingers crossed we can sort that out with our returning 'big guns' hopefully adding a bit of an edge.

I am nervous!!!!
I cannot deny it

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Thu 26 Sep 2013 - 13:36

Very excited to see Gilroy at 15, as I believe he could excel there due to his elusive running and GAA skills (the next Jason Robinson maybe... Smile) and also Marshall and Payne in midfield - no disrespect to Cave but Payne just gives that bit more in attack.

Good to see Allen's form rewarded too.

Muller needs to be used more sparingly this year I think too so good to see him sit this out - nice looking back row if it clicks.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 26 Sep 2013 - 22:57

We're all very quiet censored 

Did winning last week take away our ability to complain? Personally I'm feeling positive about tomorrow and hope we get to see Gilroy and Bowe cutting some good lines off a very tasty centre partnership...
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Thu 26 Sep 2013 - 23:31

I'm very excited for the same things already mentioned, I think everyone is in agreement really. Gilroy at 15 and the centre partnership, are both experiments we all want to see gel together. If it works, this could answer quite a few questions.

Also, are we to take anything from the fact Henderson has been playing second row exclusively this season? I know it is early days though.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 9:54

Rory_Gallagher wrote:I'm very excited for the same things already mentioned, I think everyone is in agreement really.  Gilroy at 15 and the centre partnership, are both experiments we all want to see gel together.  If it works, this could answer quite a few questions.

Also, are we to take anything from the fact Henderson has been playing second row exclusively this season?  I know it is early days though.
Yeah, personally I think he offers more at 6 right now but with Roger Wilson fit again our backrow options look better than our second row, even without Ferris. Muller is coming to the end and Touhy and Stevenson can blow hot and cold.

Funnily enough I see Henderson at 6 for Ireland and playing lock for us more this season. Phenomenal talent.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 10:05

rodders wrote:
Rory_Gallagher wrote:I'm very excited for the same things already mentioned, I think everyone is in agreement really.  Gilroy at 15 and the centre partnership, are both experiments we all want to see gel together.  If it works, this could answer quite a few questions.

Also, are we to take anything from the fact Henderson has been playing second row exclusively this season?  I know it is early days though.
Yeah, personally I think he offers more at 6 right now but with Roger Wilson fit again our backrow options look better than our second row, even without Ferris. Muller is coming to the end and Touhy and Stevenson can blow hot and cold.

Funnily enough I see Henderson at 6 for Ireland and playing lock for us more this season. Phenomenal talent.
I'm not so sure about this rodders - what about the likes of O'Mahony and O'Brien? I think they will be picked ahead of him at 6.

Although I do agree with you, personally I think Hendy has more potential than both!

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 10:37

Yeah I agree, what I meant was that he is probably seen more as a backrower by Ireland - not necessarily that he will start at 6.

I think the pecking order at 6 is probably O'Mahoney/Ferris and then Henderson. Whereas say at Lock he'd be behind POC, Ryan and McCarthy at least. I can see him on the bench for Ireland.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 10:42

I think Anscombe likes him in the second row because his breakdown work isn't goof enough for 6, his agility to get down and over the ball isn't there. Which is hard for a very tall guy like him.

His ball carrying is very well suited to 6, its a real weapon that can hurt teams, but it relies on other people covering for him on the deck. It's also the best thing about his game... but if he can be as prominent in the loose with 4 or 5 on his back as he was last week I'm happy.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 10:51

Yeah well that's it really, he has his strengths and weaknesses in either position and it depends on the balance of the pack really.

I don't think he is as strong a scrummager as Touhy, but as Notch says his work at the breakdown needs work.

Either way his ball carrying, power and dynamism makes him too good to leave out, for Ulster anyways. I'd actually pick him at 6 ahead of O'Mahoney for Irealnd but don't see Schmidt making that call.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 11:00

I'd have him in there before O'Mahoney as well rodders, the kid is a phenomina the like of which we don't see very often. If I were Mr Schmidt I would be prepared to take a chance on our young star and let him prove himself on the international stage. Imagine what he'll be capable of come RWC time. I strongly believe Hendo and Payne will both be at the core of the Irish setup by that time.

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 11:02

Good strong team.Exciting backline. But Treviso look handy enough as well.

Weakest part of the whole team is McKinney on the bench (although Ross is an unkown). If Jackson is going to start featuring for Ireland, we really need McK to find his feet.

Pete - for God's sake don't let Sin read that.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 11:37

Notch wrote:I think Anscombe likes him in the second row because his breakdown work isn't goof enough for 6, his agility to get down and over the ball isn't there. Which is hard for a very tall guy like him.

His ball carrying is very well suited to 6, its a real weapon that can hurt teams, but it relies on other people covering for him on the deck. It's also the best thing about his game...  but if he can be as prominent in the loose with 4 or 5 on his back as he was last week I'm happy.
Good point, he is listed on the Ulster website as 6 foot 7 (he has grown another inch since last season apparently) and that is extremely tall for anyone in the back row. We don't have any second row options at that height either.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 11:40

Also look at the likes of Eben Etzebeth, he is a huge ball carrying option at second row for South Africa. And that is huge praise to even consider Henderson as having as much talent as Etzebeth (which I believe he could well have).

He is definitely needed at second row more than the back row.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 12:05

Rory_Gallagher wrote:Also look at the likes of Eben Etzebeth, he is a huge ball carrying option at second row for South Africa.  And that is huge praise to even consider Henderson as having as much talent as Etzebeth (which I believe he could well have).

He is definitely needed at second row more than the back row.
Etzebeth, is that yer man who got owned by McCarthy?....

Yeah I agree and I see him as that sort of player, I just see him getting more gametime in the backrow for Ireland right now. Ultimately I've not doubt he'll end up at lock.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 12:15

"Pete - for God's sake don't let Sin read that.."

I know Don, I might be on the mad Munsterman's hitlist now. I know he sometimes lurks about Ulster threads waiting to pounce Smile
Sin's bark is definately worse than his bite though.
(that last comment was for you Sin in case you read what I said about St PeteO'M) Wink

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 12:22

I forgot about that tackle! That was amazing!

Have you seen the video of Etzebeth totally flooring Du Plessis though?

Scary stuff!

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 13:02

Henderson is too tall to be a backrow in normal circumstances. I remember the last 6 nations game against England when the weather was terrible. That would be the type of game to play his at 6. The kind of game where you need a beefed up pack. The breakdown is a bit part of Schmidts gameplan.

The second row is his natural position I think. That doesn't mean he has to do all the donkey work like typical second rows. He will be used as a ball carrier no matter where he plays. Having Healy, SOB, POM and Henderson on the same team would make it very hard for the opposition to defend against. They couldn't put too many markers on one player and if they tried to chop them down by the ankles some offloads would be the answer to that.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 13:03

How has Lutton been playing this season? I heard he was going very well in the scrums. Do you think he'll make the Ireland squad?
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 13:19

Poor technique Rory..... Smile

Seriously though Etzebeth is some specimen but looks like he's shifted a fair load of iron in his time whereas Hendo looks like he's still developing physically ...which is a scary thought because he's already as strong as an ox.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 13:36

profitius wrote:How has Lutton been playing this season? I heard he was going very well in the scrums. Do you think he'll make the Ireland squad?
Quite well, yes he has been and no.

I think he hasn't had enough time to establish himself. He's had about 10 caps for Ulster or something. But he's looked good, he's had Gusher gushing about his nice straight back. He is quite good technically in the scrum.

I'm interested to see Court over Black again. Court does offer more around the field but Black has been scrummaging better. Maybe we feel we need as big a pack as possible tonight. might not be wrong there.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 13:40

That Etzebeth hit on Du Plessis is another example of the patented Dan Tuohy forearm fend... ouch.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 16:56

Ulster's scrum seemed to struggle whenever i have seen Lutton coming in, haven't seen Ulster 1st game though.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 19:37

Marshall over for the first try. 10-3 at 21 minutes

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 19:51

And another from Allen.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 20:04

Absolutely fuming. furious My internet decided to have a hissy fit so I've missed the first half. Only now I'm getting back on!

...and breathe...hope Tommy's holding up Smile

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 20:11

Love the voice on Bangor RFC's captain! heart 

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 20:18

He is doing great!

Did a bit of his characteristic juggling run but it didn't fall to hand for him.

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 20:19

Yes they showed that at HT MrsP. Very Happy I was hoping Tommy-Two-Tries would appear tonight.

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 20:21

Treviso must've had a good HT talking to! Shocked 

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 20:23

Indeed!

While Ulster look like they all had a cup of Horlicks!

Strange decision at that breakdown mind!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 20:26

Cari wrote:Yes they showed that at HT MrsP.  Very Happy I was hoping Tommy-Two-Tries would appear tonight.
Half way there Smile 

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 20:27

MY BOY SCORES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Ulster vs Treviso 3933776953 

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsP Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 20:28

Happy Cari?

We need his second now!

MrsP

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 20:29

VERY!...I'm glad the internet got fixed or I would've missed it! Very Happy 

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 20:32

Allen is playing very well from the bits ive seen

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 20:40

There's your BP try. Nice one Rors!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 20:44

Not another yellow!

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Cari Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 21:01

Well done Ulster. clap 

Cari

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 22:58

Lot happier tonight than after the Glasgow game I'll tell you that much!

Michael Allen was great, so were Luke Marshall and Roger Wilson and Rory Best and Tommy Bowe looked sharp for their first game back. Only hope Iain Henderson is okay.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 23:41

Henderson the only real dark cloud IMO.

Lineout good, scrum solid (when the ref applied the laws)

Marshall a deserved motm for me with Payne linking very well and Gilroy looking good at 15. Jackson good, Henry good, Diack too. Michael Allen was very impressive. 2 tries and one that must have been a whisker away. Beautiful rip of one of the treviso forwards in the first half too. Big nick smash a bit when he came on too.vouch better. Now for ospreys

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 23:47

Deserved win tonight. Improved on each game so far, and heading in the right direction leading up to the Tigers game.
Flip of the coin for MOTM for me between Allen and Marhall. Allen really impressing yet again. As with Ulster, he just seems to get better each game. Very strong, intelligent, doesn't wait for things to happen, but does all he can to make things happen. Two highlights for me were Allen ripping the ball from the Treviso prop, and sprinting half the length the field to make that perfectly timed crunching tackle.
Thought Luke had a great game, and it will be very interesting to see how Olding does when paired with Payne.
Fair play to Treviso who never gave up. Had me concerned towards the end.

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Sat 28 Sep 2013 - 0:17

Towards the end they were in with a sniff of a LBP if they could get that second try. Another game where Paddy Jackson missed a few too many which left them with the chance of nicking a point, although all three misses were from the touchline... he was very good tonight, Jackson, but his place kicking will take time to be brought up to the standard of the rest of his game.

He just needs time to work on it but I do hope we have Pienaar kicking in our Heineken Cup games. I say that as a massive fan of Jackson, I really do believe the sky is the limit for him. But he won't get there overnight.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 28 Sep 2013 - 0:44

With only 12 points in it I had the Glasgow game on my mind mixed with thoughts on the nature of the Treviso win the previous week. A slight concern which proved unfounded.
PJ had a great game. A couple of misses that were very close from what I had seen. So glad the last kick went between the sticks though. A good way to leave the game for him, and a confidence boost.

Back to top Go down

Post by clivemcl Sat 28 Sep 2013 - 1:03

Stevenson for Henderson was almost a negative turning point. Thankfully the other 14 managed to see it through despite his best efforts!

(Also, can I just say - I'm getting VERY tired of BBC NI getting players wrong? Do they need bigger monitors??)

Very happy with tonight though! Did somebody say Allen can't finish???

clivemcl

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Sat 28 Sep 2013 - 1:06

Yeah it was tight enough points wise despite our dominance. We were held up over the line twice against Connacht, once against Glasgow and twice tonight (if you take allens first effort). That had me worried at 3-3 20 mins in. The fact is though that when we play well (and for these young guys it is becoming more consistent) we are very difficult to handle.

Gilroy, Allen, Jackson, Marshall are all about 23 or under. Massive potential there

I thought big Lewis did well enough Clive. Paid the price for team penalties but did ok when on the park including turning over some ball. Clear 4th choice lock for me but ok none the less

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Sat 28 Sep 2013 - 9:49

clivemcl wrote:Very happy with tonight though! Did somebody say Allen can't finish???
Yes, Rory Best - he was pointing for him not to finish but take the ball under the posts instead. Seriously that's something Mike needs to learn as even five yards further in makes a big difference to the kick on the wide angles. I have my reservations about Allen's pace for wing but his second try went some way to alleviate those. He's still adjusting to the back three positioning but was my MOTM.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next