The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cueto's salary cap comments

+19
BigTrevsbigmac
Bathite
broadlandboy
Sgt_Pooly
Tiger/Chief
yappysnap
maestegmafia
nathan
HongKongCherry
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
doctor_grey
Hood83
formerly known as Sam
HammerofThunor
LondonTiger
Pm76
Ozzy3213
beshocked
Bathman_in_London
23 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Cueto's salary cap comments - Page 2 Empty Cueto's salary cap comments

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri 04 Oct 2013, 9:33 am

First topic message reminder :

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/10354187/Mark-Cueto-Premiership-salary-cap-is-being-ignored.html

Well duh.

Potentially connected to that Bath announced the other day that several players had taken pay cuts in return for longer contracts. No names given, but Banahan signed a 5 year contract so I would guess he would be one. This made me think, can/do clubs offer a retirement package? ie No money now but they get a bonus at the end which won't come under the cap?

It would be good if all the salaries etc were open, but I'm not sure that would quell the rumours of sponsors funding etc.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Cueto's salary cap comments - Page 2 Empty Re: Cueto's salary cap comments

Post by LondonTiger Sun 06 Oct 2013, 11:38 am

maestegmafia wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Yappy, remember that living in London is considerably more expensive compared to living in the West Country or East Midlands. In Leicestershire you can get a big barn conversion on a decent bit of land for 350k, in some parts of London that won't get you a three bed flat. Might well mean that Quins need to give out bigger contracts to achieve a like for like deal with say the Saints.
There are no clubs in Central London.. The most central is Richmond... On the A3 a commute from a suburban area takes no time.

And have you seen the property prices in Surrey.

And you have obviously never travelled on the A3 (bad road for Quins anyway) or any other commute into London. 3hrs to drive 40 miles is common in rush hour.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 06 Oct 2013, 11:58 am

LondonTiger wrote:
maestegmafia wrote:
formerly known as Sam wrote:Yappy, remember that living in London is considerably more expensive compared to living in the West Country or East Midlands. In Leicestershire you can get a big barn conversion on a decent bit of land for 350k, in some parts of London that won't get you a three bed flat. Might well mean that Quins need to give out bigger contracts to achieve a like for like deal with say the Saints.
There are no clubs in Central London.. The most central is Richmond... On the A3 a commute from a suburban area takes no time.

And have you seen the property prices in Surrey.

And you have obviously never travelled on the A3 (bad road for Quins anyway) or any other commute into London. 3hrs to drive 40 miles is common in rush hour.

An employer doesn't have to buy an employee a property. Although as you seem to be pointing out, maybe it is an easy way to get around the wage caps...!

I have an apartment in Richmond, we currently live in the New Forrest and use the A3 regularly. It is no where as poor as you suggest.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 06 Oct 2013, 12:28 pm

You commute at rush hour?

And no employers do not buy property - but the salary expected from a player will be commensurate with their cost of living.

I widh I could afford an apartment in Richmond - sadly I only have £300k available for a property.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 06 Oct 2013, 12:29 pm

And about commuting - well I do it every day of the week and I leave home at 5:30 to avoid traffic.

Leave home at 6:30 and I am lucky to get to work by 9:30.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Sun 06 Oct 2013, 12:40 pm

LondonTiger wrote:And about commuting - well I do it every day of the week and I leave home at 5:30 to avoid traffic.

You should use the train. It's far more civilised.

Why are you citing living costs as a reason that some clubs should cheat the rules on salary caps?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by broadlandboy Sun 06 Oct 2013, 12:45 pm

I dont think LT is using it as a reason to cheat the salary cap but that those players might be on larger salarys as the cost of living is higher so people looking at similar squads can cost different

broadlandboy

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 06 Oct 2013, 12:46 pm

Exactly

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 06 Oct 2013, 12:46 pm

I reckon Quins have to pay more to attract the same standard of player

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 06 Oct 2013, 12:47 pm

[quote="maestegmafia"]
LondonTiger wrote:And about commuting - well I do it every day of the week and I leave home at 5:30 to avoid traffic.

You should use the train. It's far more civilised.

For me to take the train it would me two mainline trains (of an hour each) and a tube journey then a 3 mile walk.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 06 Oct 2013, 12:48 pm

Oh and cost an absolute fortune.

Or I could choose to live in Watford. no thanks

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Sun 06 Oct 2013, 1:43 pm

Commuting to London from Hertfordshire is easy. The likes of Welwyn North, Hitchin,St Albans and Stevenage are relatively speedy.

The Sarries squad guys don't live in London but access is relatively good.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Sun 06 Oct 2013, 1:53 pm

beshocked wrote:Commuting to London from Hertfordshire is easy. The likes of Welwyn North, Hitchin,St Albans and Stevenage are relatively speedy.

The Sarries squad guys don't live in London but access is relatively good.
I cannot see any Sarries player choosing to live in Stevenage :DAnyway the A1 outside the town is usually at standstill between 7:00 and 9:00 and 17:00 and 18:30.

Really commuting is a red herring - except to understand that most players will look to live within 20 minutes of their training ground and will not want to use public transport. Thus property prices become really relevant to a player when they have to consider what offer to take.

There are clearly some issues with policing the cap - but all we here are rumours and conjecture, and a lot of stone throwing from people in glass houses.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Mon 07 Oct 2013, 10:59 am

Londontiger my point is that getting into London from Hertfordshire is easy and not really that expensive.

I think most of the Sarries guys live in St Albans - the commute on the train is very good to London. From St Albans to Barnet it would be a really easy drive too.

Seriously why would you drive into central London as a commute? Train is far easier.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Mon 07 Oct 2013, 11:01 am

formerly known as Sam wrote:Yappy, remember that living in London is considerably more expensive compared to living in the West Country
You can discount Bath from that!

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by LondonTiger Mon 07 Oct 2013, 11:17 am

beshocked wrote:Londontiger my point is that getting into London from Hertfordshire is easy and not really that expensive.

I think most of the Sarries guys live in St Albans - the commute on the train is very good to London. From St Albans to Barnet it would be a really easy drive too.

Seriously why would you drive into central London as a commute? Train is far easier.
I suspect you are right - I see a lot of Sarries sponsored cars in that area. St Albans house prices may not be at Richmond levels, but a darn sight higher than northampton.

Why do I drive to work? Well I live in north Herts atm and work in Watford. Train is not an option as that involves Mainline to Kings Cross, Tube across to Marylebone and train out again. Plus I have to be able to get to East London on Fridays to pick up my kids.

The whole point on commute times was people were suggesting that players could live further out and pay lower house prices - therefore salary expectations would be lower. Just does not work for a rugby player who really wants to spend the minimum time possible travelling after training.

LondonTiger

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Mon 07 Oct 2013, 12:45 pm

Sorry Bathite, was think Gloucester and Worcester way when I said that. Certainly London inflation is a real thing and something a potential employee would look at when discussing contracts. Especially if you had the option of Quins or Saints, say. Food and rent are going to be vastly more expensive closer to the capital then they are in Northamptonshire (i doubt any player lives in Northampton itself). As such you are going to be asking for a larger wedge from Quins than if you were going to Saints.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 07 Oct 2013, 7:34 pm

beshocked wrote:Tiger chief what's your source?

Yappysnap so you think Quins failings are to do with the salary cap? I just feel like its being used as an excuse for failure.
Laugh 

Read back through my post Beshocked, at no time did I try to make excuses. All though i'll point out that we aren't failing either, we've actually won more silverware over the last few seasons then you boys.

LT and everyone else, I think you're probably spot on with the house prices issue and having to pay our players a bit extra comparatively, I know a couple live in Weybridge so maybe we're breaking the cap too! Whistle 

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 07 Oct 2013, 8:51 pm

Beshocked living off Saracens success from years ago now. Ancient history. When was the last time they made the final?

boxing Hug 

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 07 Oct 2013, 9:22 pm

Exactly! May as well stick to the cap for all the good it's doing them...Very Happy 

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 07 Oct 2013, 9:25 pm

yappysnap wrote:Exactly! May as well stick to the cap for all the good it's doing them...Very Happy 
No wonder Wray wants it expanding. Needs more South Africans

king 

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Mon 07 Oct 2013, 10:12 pm

Exactly, and he'll be able to branch out into the Australian and NZ markets soon as well... And then change the club's name to something with a bit more glitz about it. Like Toulon...

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 07 Oct 2013, 10:46 pm

yappysnap wrote:Exactly, and he'll be able to branch out into the Australian and NZ markets soon as well... And then change the club's name to something with a bit more glitz about it. Like Toulon...
No. Then they would lose the South African brand.  They've worked hard to build it over the last few years. Sanzarcens doesn't have a good ring to it.

NB: beshocked, it's friendly banter. Saracens success has been built on hard work more than anything else and they have produced many players through their excellent academy.

Last edited by HammerofThunor on Tue 08 Oct 2013, 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 08 Oct 2013, 8:30 am

Exactly, Saracen Storm are doing well this season too.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Tue 08 Oct 2013, 9:18 am

Yappysnap fair enough. You are right - Quins have won the Amlin and LV cup. Well done.clap 

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by BigTrevsbigmac Tue 08 Oct 2013, 1:52 pm

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_8963503,00.html

Coincidental?

BigTrevsbigmac

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 08 Oct 2013, 2:01 pm

Yes. They had talked about it months ago but it's implemented today.

Or no if the journalist knew it was coming and has been asking the question.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 08 Oct 2013, 4:39 pm

BigTrevsbigmac wrote:http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_8963503,00.html

Coincidental?

Not coincidental at all.  I don't think this is a direct response to Mark Cueto's comments.  To me, he is only the latest, and one of the more prominent and knowledgeable, to verbalise his concerns.  This has been brewing for quite a while.  

Here is what I believe is the big point of this right now:  This level of transparency will be needed as part of real negotiations about distributions of funds in a future European Cup competition.  A true step in the right direction.  Moreover, getting a real NFL style grip on the salary structure for each club and player will drive the openness which will be needed with so much distrust floating around with all sides.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Tue 08 Oct 2013, 5:20 pm

From the Telegraph

Any breach of the £4.5 million salary cap by Premiership clubs will be made public, and those found guilty by the newly potent salary cap manager could face fines and even a points reduction, reports Gavin Mairs.

Premiership Rugby agreed to beef up the investigative powers of their salary cap manager on Tuesday and announced that any clubs guilty of breaches will be named and shamed, with sanctions including points deductions and fines.

The move comes after Sale Sharks and former England wing Mark Cueto told Telegraph Sport last week that “there is no way” some clubs were sticking to the cap and that it was “blatantly obvious” to everyone in rugby.

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Tue 08 Oct 2013, 5:26 pm

Has everyone forgotten about this?

https://www.606v2.com/t47072-english-salary-caps-to-be-more-transparent

Cueto's comments had nothing to do with.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Tue 08 Oct 2013, 5:26 pm

So how many folks will have already dobbed in Bath and Sarries? Whistle

Wink

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Tue 08 Oct 2013, 6:01 pm

Not sure. Let's see how this plays out. When the current salary cap was put in place in the NFL, they gave a year or two to comply. Even then a number of people were running scared for quite a while.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Tue 08 Oct 2013, 6:26 pm

beshocked wrote:Yappysnap fair enough. You are right - Quins have won the Amlin and LV cup. Well done.clap 
Cheers, maybe this season you'll manage to win something too.Fingers Crossed 

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 09 Oct 2013, 10:03 am

If you read the premiership website, then to say they will be prosecuting anyone above £4.5m is not true. That is just the senior squad plus the academy figure.

So on top of that clubs are allowed 1 excluded player, as well as any injury cover and a benefit/testimonial year.

So if we assume that the testimonial will be for a older player on a decent salary, as clearly the excluded player will be too, the total allowed salary cap could be a long way over £4.5m, probably more like £5m.

For a squad of 40 players that would be an average wage of £125k, which seems like a lot when you include the youngsters. It makes me wonder if the cap is really being broken by as much as people make out?

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 09 Oct 2013, 10:16 am

Ha ha yappysnap I hope so too but I don't want it to be the Amlin or LV Cup.Whistle Want to win one of the big ones - AP or last HC.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 09 Oct 2013, 10:27 am

Bathman_in_London wrote:If you read the premiership website, then to say they will be prosecuting anyone above £4.5m is not true. That is just the senior squad plus the academy figure.

So on top of that clubs are allowed 1 excluded player, as well as any injury cover and a benefit/testimonial year.

So if we assume that the testimonial will be for a older player on a decent salary, as clearly the excluded player will be too, the total allowed salary cap could be a long way over £4.5m, probably more like £5m.

For a squad of 40 players that would be an average wage of £125k, which seems like a lot when you include the youngsters. It makes me wonder if the cap is really being broken by as much as people make out?
But you are assuming that the salary cap refers only to 'wages' and I think its broader than that? (pls correct if I am wrong)

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathite Wed 09 Oct 2013, 10:31 am

It is indeed bigger than that, it prevents clubs buying houses and cars (but not Ipads apparently) and offsetting against a lower salary.

Bathite

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Wed 09 Oct 2013, 10:35 am

You are right there, it includes accomodation, clothing excluding playing kit, any income you wouldn't get without playing there (ie from sponsors I presume), school fees and more. It doesn't include further education for the player though. 'Legitimate' expenses are excluded, which I suppose is a grey area and open for a bit of abuse.

I suppose what I meant is that with a clever use of testimonial seasons/the excluded player and injury cover, clubs could easily be a fair way over the 4.5m figure without breaking any rules at all.
That isn't to say the rules aren't broken!

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 09 Oct 2013, 11:14 am

Gotcha OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 09 Oct 2013, 8:57 pm

Bloody hell it's a murky business. Who'd be an accountant eh??

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Wed 09 Oct 2013, 9:42 pm

There are so many ways around this it's not true, e.g. employing a relative (spouse normally) in a shadow job (PA post she doesn't have to turn up to on 100k pa), buying offshore property via a vaguely related company, etc.

Completely unenforceable as HMRC have found with taxes.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Wed 09 Oct 2013, 10:14 pm

Amazon vouchers?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Thu 10 Oct 2013, 8:49 am

As we have seen from various companies outside of rugby there are lots of leigitimate ways to aviod paying tax (Starbucks,Amazon,etc.) so on a smaller scale there are probably ways of taking the the letter (if not the spirit) of the salary cap conditions to the very edge.
Remember long before professionalism rugby was rife with paying players through slieght of hand (city jobs for Quins players, "travelling expenses", etc.) so it wouldn't be surprising if certain teams were exploiting loopholes to their advantage.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Thu 10 Oct 2013, 3:07 pm

http://www.runningrugby.com/accounts-funding-and-financial-services/prl-releases-salary-cap-small-print/

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 11 Oct 2013, 2:18 pm

I was a little surprised when after posting my lttle holiday postcard that apparently no-one picked up/read it.

Running Rugby wrote:Premiership Rugby’s response is to issue new powers to its salary cap manager and, perhaps crucially, it has outlined a specific scale of points penalties that will be applicable to any club contravening the cap.

Level of Breach Points Sanction

£0 to £75,000 – 4 points

£75,000.01 to £125,000 – 10 points

£125,000.01 to £175,000 – 20 points

£175,000.01 to £250,000 – 30 points

Over £250,000 – 40 points

Such a penalty will be imposed along with a fine that is equivalent to £3 for every £1 by which the cap is exceeded if the salary cap has not been breached in the two previous seasons, £5 for every £1 if it has been breached once in the past two years and £10 for every £1 if it was breached in both of the previous seasons.

The points penalty will be applied with immediate effect if the decision is made prior to round 22 or next season if it is made after that and Premiership Rugby hopes that the new rules will act as a deterrent and “promote the effective administration, management and governance of the salary cap”.

Interestingly though, there is a significant caveat in the regulations dictating that the disciplinary panel has the power to impose different penalties that are more severe or, as stated below, less harsh than the ones previously detailed:
Maybe as it's a (free) subscription site, the reason is that no-one logged on.

The full text is
Code:
10 October 2013 by Tim Groves

As revealed in Running Rugby back in August, Premier Rugby Limited has introduced a “new, more transparent, salary cap monitoring and investigation system” but how far exactly do the new regulations go?

Sale winger Mark Cueto became the latest person to criticise the current state of affairs last week when he insisted there was no way some clubs were adhering to the salary cap and said that was “blatantly obvious” to everyone in rugby.

Premiership Rugby’s response is to issue new powers to its salary cap manager and, perhaps crucially, it has outlined a specific scale of points penalties that will be applicable to any club contravening the cap.

Level of Breach Points Sanction

£0 to £75,000 – 4 points

£75,000.01 to £125,000 – 10 points

£125,000.01 to £175,000 – 20 points

£175,000.01 to £250,000 – 30 points

Over £250,000 – 40 points

Such a penalty will be imposed along with a fine that is equivalent to £3 for every £1 by which the cap is exceeded if the salary cap has not been breached in the two previous seasons, £5 for every £1 if it has been breached once in the past two years and £10 for every £1 if it was breached in both of the previous seasons.

The points penalty will be applied with immediate effect if the decision is made prior to round 22 or next season if it is made after that and Premiership Rugby hopes that the new rules will act as a deterrent and “promote the effective administration, management and governance of the salary cap”.

Interestingly though, there is a significant caveat in the regulations dictating that the disciplinary panel has the power to impose different penalties that are more severe or, as stated below, less harsh than the ones previously detailed:

“The disciplinary panel shall be entitled to exercise its discretion to impose a penalty which is less than set out in Regulation 13.3 - 13.6 where, in the view of the disciplinary panel, such penalty would lead to the club being unfairly punished or treated under the regulations or would lead to a result not within the spirit and underlying purpose of the regulations.”

Any guilty club will also have to fork out for all reasonable costs incurred by PRL in connection with the breach and all fines and costs must be paid within 21 days or interest, which accrues daily at 2% above the base rate from time to time of National Westminster Bank plc, will be payable to PRL as well.

In extreme cases, if it is not paid after 30 days, clubs will also be automatically deemed ineligible for the following year's Heineken Cup, LV= Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup competitions and the amount outstanding will be increased by 100% of the original penalty, fine and/or costs. That amount is then increased by 100% of the original penalty for every additional 30 days.

If the worst were to happen, it is unclear what the effect on the Heineken Cup, LV= Cup or Amlin Challenge Cup would be and whether there would be a team to replace the offending club or whether a void would be created.

Premiership Rugby also appears to have responded to some of the allegations made in the London Welsh saga by implementing a specific clause relating to “individual responsibility for a false certification or false declaration”.

The clause allows any chairman, CEO or finance director to be removed from office if the disciplinary panel deems that, on the balance of probabilities, there has been any wrongdoing and also that “no club shall thereafter appoint that person as a director”.

A detailed definition of what constitutes a salary, including match fees, royalties, loyalty payments, child support, accommodation/holiday costs, pension contributions, expenses, payments for promotional, media, endorsement or any other off-field activities, signing-on fees, relocation allowances and more, is also outlined.

And all this has been done, as was the case when the salary cap was introduced for the first time back in July 1999, in order to ensure the financial viability of all clubs, control inflationary pressures, provide a level playing field and ensure a competitive Aviva Premiership competition, something which chief executive Mark McCafferty thinks has been achieved.

“These objectives are borne out in the financial success the league is now seeing, with a healthy turnover of teams at the top of the league. We have also had three different winners of the Aviva Premiership Rugby competition in as many years, in the most competitive league in world rugby (highest number of games finishing in less than one score compared to any other rugby competition in the world),” he said.

The salary cap regulations fall under the remit of Premiership Rugby’s rugby director Phil Winstanley and he insists that the salary cap is working and has an important role to play in the sport.

“It was inevitable that as the game develops we would conduct a review of the salary cap,” he said.

“Salary caps exist in many commercially successful sports around the world.  The most obvious examples are the NFL and NHL in the USA, and the NRL and AFL in Australia.

“The introduction in football of UEFA's Financial Fair Play and the Premier League clubs' new financial regulations, together with salary caps in rugby league, county cricket, and in rugby union with France's Top 14 and the Welsh regions, all demonstrating how European sport has recently grasped the importance of controlling costs and long-term financial sustainability.”

The cap remains at the 2012/13 level of £4.26m, plus eight portions of £30,000 academy credits (producing a maximum of £4.5m) and the retention of the excluded player, whereby one individual lies outside the cap – the so-called ‘marquee signing’.

A formal whistle blowing policy has also been brought in where people can speak to the salary cap manager on a confidential basis by calling 07583 826343 or emailing salarycap@premiershiprugby.com.

It remains to be seen how the changes to the administration, monitoring and investigation of the cap will be implemented and enforced in practice but Premiership Rugby will be hoping that the points penalties in particular act as a major deterrent to any club contemplating crossing the line.

Please click on the link below for the original Running Rugby article on the new salary cap regulations:

AP Clubs Agree To More Transparency On Salary Cap Investigations
It is indicative of PRL's competence that it refers to the Heino and Amlin beyond this season.
You can't help loving them can you? (that was both rhetorical and sarcastic.)

But the proposed penalties for cap cheating are severe although like disciplinary procedures, it appears that any previous (and maybe finances) will be taken into account.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 11 Oct 2013, 2:46 pm

I would expect a lot of Sarries guys to be living in and around St Albans as Beshocked said - Its a nice little town, but I also believe that they use St Albans RFC as their training facility.
Similar to Quins using Surrey Sports park - I would expect a lot of their squad to live around the Guildford and Godalming area.

Although I've seen a fair few of the academy chaps in Kingston upon Thames.

Makes sense for players to live nearer their training grounds than their playing stadiums.
By that argument - Wasps train at Twyford Ave. in Acton - if most of their squad train there then you'd expect them to be more centrally located.

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri 11 Oct 2013, 3:02 pm

The punishments are severe, so any club would have to be very confident in its accountants to transgress. There is also a whistle blowing contact, so if certain clubs are in breach, at some point you would expect a disgruntled leaver to say something and blow the whole operation.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri 11 Oct 2013, 3:12 pm

The n on the woodpile, Bathman, is not so much the punishments rather than the colander-like framework that surrounds the cap arrangements.

It would be interesting if HMRC paid a visit to one or two of the suspect clubs and uncovered overseas payments or shadow 'employees' who were found to do nothing of equivalent monetary value.

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by Bathman_in_London Fri 11 Oct 2013, 4:24 pm

Sadly I would imagine that the PRL accountants/ investigators are easily outwitted and unless there is real evasion going on the HMRC won't care about someone's wife earning a lot as a club 'marketing assistant' or similar so it will be hard to get any real results.

Bathman_in_London

Back to top Go down

Post by propdavid_london Fri 11 Oct 2013, 4:55 pm

I've said it before in a post a year back - with regards to salary caps. I do think it would be a fairer system to inflate the salary cap for those 'London' clubs.
The public sector has London waiting for key workers where they get a slightly higher salary compensating for the higher living costs in those areas.

I am not talking about people cheating the system - just suggesting that its adjusted to be fairer.
As LT suggests - wouldn't be surprised if Quins have to pay more for the same standard of player compared to elsewhere!

propdavid_london

Back to top Go down

Post by maestegmafia Fri 11 Oct 2013, 5:16 pm

propdavid_london wrote:I've said it before in a post a year back - with regards to salary caps.  I do think it would be a fairer system to inflate the salary cap for those 'London' clubs.  
The public sector has London waiting for key workers where they get a slightly higher salary compensating for the higher living costs in those areas.  

I am not talking about people cheating the system - just suggesting that its adjusted to be fairer.  
As LT suggests - wouldn't be surprised if Quins have to pay more for the same standard of player compared to elsewhere!
Maybe cheaper to reduce the salary cap for those clubs outside London to £4m..?

maestegmafia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next