The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are Worcester Warriors doomed?

+22
TJ
sirtidychris
Geordie
offload
SirBurger
aitchw
Looseheaded
munkian
Scrumpy
Metal Tiger
englishborn
Hound of Harrow
stub
Pot Hale
tooboredtowork
Heaf
LondonTiger
formerly known as Sam
doctor_grey
The Saint
Artful_Dodger
Ozzy3213
26 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Are Worcester Warriors doomed? - Page 2 Empty Are Worcester Warriors doomed?

Post by Ozzy3213 Sun 06 Oct 2013, 12:21 am

First topic message reminder :

If we work on the premise that most appeared to think was sound pre season, that London Irish, Newcastle Falcons and Worcester Warriors are this season relegation candidates, is it fair to say that Worcester are in serious trouble already at this early stage of the season.

They currently sit bottom of the table, having lost 5 out of 5 games, and only picked up two losing bonus points. That puts them 6 points adrift of the 11th placed team, who play tomorrow, which could see them even further behind when the weekend ends.

As far as I am aware they are not suffering with an extensive injury list at present, and most worryingly for them, they have been beaten at home by both of the other supposed relegation candidates. Whislt I would imagine neutral observors may say that Falcons might grind out some points, particularly at home, and Irish have try scoring ability and can pick up points that way, it is difficult to see where Worcester are going to get the points from to enable themselves to climb the table.

So the question is, are they doomed already, or is Dean Ryan as some proclaimed pre season, too good a coach to take them down?
Ozzy3213
Ozzy3213

Back to top Go down

Are Worcester Warriors doomed? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Worcester Warriors doomed?

Post by tooboredtowork Wed 06 Nov 2013, 12:52 pm

In all honesty, I cannot see us winning a match this year. I think our only chance of a win now rests with the Cherry and Whites, and I would still bank on us to mess that up too. I already think 11 points is out of our reach.

Oh, how I yearn for a bit of humble pie.

tooboredtowork

Back to top Go down

Are Worcester Warriors doomed? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are Worcester Warriors doomed?

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 06 Nov 2013, 12:59 pm

toobored, is relegation such a bad thing for you though? As with the likes of Quins and Saints and quite possibly Newcastle, it will give you the chance to get rid of a number of mediocre players and build a decent side. I appreciate you have been up and down a bit in recent years, but if Cecil is genuinely set on embedding a new culture, the Championship may be the place to do it.
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 06 Nov 2013, 1:16 pm

The way Glaws are going it could be them within a season or two.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Heaf Wed 06 Nov 2013, 1:43 pm

I think Glaws can count themselves lucky not to be closer to Worcester after the finish in the Saints match, but I don't think they will stay this bad for much longer ...

Heaf

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 06 Nov 2013, 1:47 pm

I have to agree Scrumpy. It would be disatrous if we did go down; the highlight of my season is visiting the Rec as its the only chance I get to drink Babycham and eat prawn vols au vent BubblyAre Worcester Warriors doomed? - Page 2 3559488474
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 06 Nov 2013, 1:47 pm

Glaws recruitment this summer coupled with the Wood suspension had buggered them. They knew they needed a more powerful tight five at the end of last season and did very little about it over the summer.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 06 Nov 2013, 1:59 pm

HongKongCherry wrote:I have to agree Scrumpy. It would be disatrous if we did go down; the highlight of my season is visiting the Rec as its the only chance I get to drink Babycham and eat prawn vols au vent BubblyAre Worcester Warriors doomed? - Page 2 3559488474
I'd also be upset if Glaws went down, it's not everyday you get to mix with that type of person in Bath on matchday. thumbsup 

Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by HongKongCherry Wed 06 Nov 2013, 2:00 pm

formerly known as Sam wrote:Glaws recruitment this summer coupled with the Wood suspension had buggered them. They knew they needed a more powerful tight five at the end of last season and did very little about it over the summer.
That and the fact that the entire front 5, with the exception of Elliot Stooke, have woefully underperformed. Much has been made of Jim Hamilton's departure and certainly I'd rather he'd stayed, but given he played in less than half of last season's games and missed the victories against the likes of Tigers, Saints and Sarries illustrates our current front 5 is more than capable of performing at the required level, but they have just failed to do so this season. There is an argument bandied around by Glaws fans, which toobored may be ablke to add to, that Kvesic left Wuss a season earlier than expected. Given that he supported Glaws it was always likely he would join us, therefore the wage set aside for front 5 reinforcements was spent on him. When you look at the players who were out of contract last season there really wasn't ever going to be many signings this year and I fully expect to see some changes next year. I would not be the slightest bit surprised if we see the likes of Qera and Cowan leave, whose salaries would bring in at least 2 quality players.

We could always just break the salary cap, eh Scrumpy! Whistle 
HongKongCherry
HongKongCherry

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Wed 06 Nov 2013, 2:05 pm

What like Sarries?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by tooboredtowork Wed 06 Nov 2013, 4:23 pm

I think a year in the Championship may well help us. However, I am concerned that it may be longer than that. We would lose Pennell and I do not see our Argies hanging around to play in Solihull. At present we are not playing as well as most top Championship sides, and the Championship is certainly stronger than we were last there. I would prefer to stay up, but that does not look realistic.

I think everyone knew that Kev was going to move on. I don't think you have seen the best of him yet. Odly I think he was playing better for us last season, but he is a class act and last year we were watching him improve on an almost game by game basis. He will be a good signing for you. The problem is that Jim Hamilton left. That would weaken any front 5.

tooboredtowork

Back to top Go down

Post by formerly known as Sam Wed 06 Nov 2013, 4:47 pm

It's not just Hamilton missing games, he was captain and lineout operator for Glaws that's a big chunk of off field experience missing as well as his large presence on it. That Nick Wood suspension really was a massive blow as well.

formerly known as Sam

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2