The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How lucky are you?

+20
raycastleunited
George1507
MustPuttBetter
Roller_Coaster
BlueCoverman
Bob_the_Job
super_realist
JAS
McLaren
incontinentia
Davie
SmithersJones
busted
puligny
golfermartin
kwinigolfer
Shotrock
navyblueshorts
MontysMerkin
lorus59
24 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How lucky are you? Empty How lucky are you?

Post by lorus59 Mon 07 Oct 2013, 12:01 pm

I saw Shanshan Feng win the Reignwood LPGA Classic in China with the most outrageous good fortune at the last hole. Her second shot looked for all the world to be heading right of the green but got a lucky bounce in the rough and almost went into the hole. Luck played a big part in that win. How important is luck in golf? Do you consider yourself to be a lucky golfer or an unlucky one and what is the luckiest break you have ever had or seen?

lorus59

Back to top Go down

How lucky are you? Empty Re: How lucky are you?

Post by MontysMerkin Mon 07 Oct 2013, 12:47 pm

I think it's difficult to be objective about your own luck, you often just don't see it that way. my mate has been steadily improving this year and gone from 9 to 5. Played with him a month ago and he shot 73, bouncing out of trees, good bounces round hazards, a thin that hit the flag to tap in. He was well pleased but couldn't see how lucky he'd been. Played with him last week and he shot the same, but played beautifully. 4 out 5 sand saves, 3 birdies from inside 8 feet, and hit a lot of GIR, but he felt that he should have scored much, much better!
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon 07 Oct 2013, 1:28 pm

Hopefully, it all evens out over time. Once read of some pro (forget whom) who hit a hook OOB off the tee which hit the railway line running parallel to the hole and came back in play. He then proceeded to hook his approach which hit the same railway line, came back onto the green and went in for an eagle. Wish I could remember who it was - think it was a Peter Dobereiner(sp?) book that told the anecdote...

Played with a friend some time ago whose first ace was via the most outrageous thinned 8-iron that smashed into the bottom of the flag/hole and somehow stayed in the hole.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 07 Oct 2013, 1:42 pm

A couple of years ago a guest was playing the downhill par 3 14th at famed Pine Valley. He played his tee shot screaming into the woods. It bounced out and went in the hole. As is the tradition at PV, he was given a mounted flag ... but they put a pretty large twig in the mounting on purpose!

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Mon 07 Oct 2013, 1:52 pm

Tough to beat Mickelson on the 14th hole yesterday, trying to play an impossible shot from a couple of postal codes to the right of the 14th fairway.
Hit the tree, bounced in to the water, bounced out of the water on to a grassy knoll from where Phil hit an extraordinary lob towithin four feet of the hole. Fortunately, Phil being Phil, he missed the par putt and saw Cabrera hole his twenty footer from off the green for par to win the hole.

Shotrock: We were talking about phrases horribilis a couple of days ago, "winningest", "my bad", etc. Just wondering if the opposite of "famed Pine Valley" would be defamed PV?

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shotrock Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:00 pm

Kwin - Perhaps! But famed not to be confused with the other Pine Valley golf courses out there ... of which there are many! http://www.arkansas.com/attractions/detail.aspx?id=94889

Shotrock

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:19 pm

Of course luck plays a huge part in the game and I don't believe it evens itself out. Consider Jean Van De Velte at Carnoustie. OK I accept that he didn't play the hole well but, if his second shot had stayed in the stand he would have had a free drop in a dropping zone and won the Open. If having rebounded from the stand had it gone directly into the burn, he could have dropped in a reasonable lie and got on the green for four and won the Open. The ball instead bounced on the concrete revetment and bounced over the burn into a nearly unplayable lie! We all know what happened next. That is a series of unfortunate incidents which will never even out.

Then consider Tiger Woods chip in at 16 at Augusta 2005. Yes, it showed huge imagination and he played it brilliantly, but for it to drop. Massively lucky. Compounded by the fact that DiMarco hit the stick with a chip in of his own for birdie on 18 and it stayed out. That drops and DiMarco is Masters Champion.

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by golfermartin Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:20 pm

PS I of course am unbelievably unlucky at golf!!Sad 

golfermartin

Back to top Go down

Post by puligny Mon 07 Oct 2013, 2:25 pm

Saw a most outrageous eagle on par 5,17th at Remedy Oak. Playing with JAS and a certain D4S, late of this parish. By his own admission D4S was struggling with chipping and pitching. Didn't matter when he thinned one at Vettel speed and zero elevation into the base of the flag! Swear it took paint off and been difficult to get that particular flag in the hole, straight since then! We said well done and walked on!

puligny

Back to top Go down

Post by busted Mon 07 Oct 2013, 4:29 pm

Im incredibly unlucky .. Sometimes when I hit it into the trees I have not shot at all ! I get bad lies when I hit it in the rough, and when I hit my putts too hard, they sometimes lip out.
cant believe it sometimes.

busted

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Mon 07 Oct 2013, 6:35 pm

Luck, good or bad, only ever comes into play on poor(er) shots. It often seems to be the case that the better you're playing the better your luck, but when it's not your day, it's not your day. Case in point yesterday - hit an ok 4 wood off the tee on our SI 1, but slightly pulled. Caught the top of a fairway bunker, and rolled back down into a little hollow right on the lip meaning it took two to get out. Next hole a bit of tree trouble just short of a water hazard. Tried to chip it out sideways, caught a branch on the way back and so sh*nked it into the water. Had to laugh!
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by Davie Mon 07 Oct 2013, 7:38 pm

I'm so unlucky if I fell into a barrel of boobies I'd come out sucking my thumb

Davie

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Mon 07 Oct 2013, 11:44 pm

Personally I find that, the harder I practice, the luckier I get.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 08 Oct 2013, 1:26 am

Luck does not exist. So I do not think I am lucky or unlucky.

It is a quirk of our difficulty in understanding how probability works.

Although looking at it from a natural selection point of view why have we evolved to perceive luck as a concept? Does the assumption of luck, as we use it, give us an advantage over the purely rational/probabilistic interpretation of events?
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 08 Oct 2013, 6:46 am

"purely rational/probabilistic interpretation of events" in other words LUCK!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by super_realist Tue 08 Oct 2013, 6:47 am

I agree there is no such thing as luck and merely something which has becomena phrase to describe something which goes in someone elses favour unless it's the "luck of the irish" Run Laugh

super_realist

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 08 Oct 2013, 6:53 am

puligny wrote:Saw a most outrageous eagle on par 5,17th at Remedy Oak. Playing with JAS and a certain D4S, late of this parish. By his own admission D4S was struggling with chipping and pitching. Didn't matter when he thinned one at Vettel speed and zero elevation into the base of the flag! Swear it took paint off and been difficult to get that particular flag in the hole, straight since then! We said well done and walked on!
Probably one of the luckiest shots I've seen this year...Infact I never saw it, I was walking beyond the green to my thinned effort which had possessed no luck at all when I heard a loud crack, looked round and I'm sure I saw the pin still shaking from the aftershock!!

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 08 Oct 2013, 7:04 am

Went through a phase around July this year where in the space of about 5 rounds I'd landed in 9 (yes NINE) old divots.

On approaching 2nd green at PB last Xmas, tugged an 8 iron, it kicked off the front left shoulder took 2 bounces toward the flag, hit it and dropped like a stone for eagle.

Sometimes you get the breaks, sometimes you don't. When I'm having particularly bad luck I always say to myself "can't wait for this to balance itself out!!"

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 08 Oct 2013, 7:08 am

Jas

You seem to have missed the point. Luck is a construct of the human minds interpretation of the world. If we always perceived events in a statistical manner luck would not exist. Of course it doesn't really exist in any form.

McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Tue 08 Oct 2013, 7:21 am

How can you statistically calculate the odds that a golf ball that can fly in an infinite number of directions, heights, speeds and spin rotations into a forest of trees, that it will deflect onto a putting surface? The use of the word "luck" is the best way to describe this event.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 08 Oct 2013, 7:24 am

lorus59 wrote:How can you statistically calculate the odds that a golf ball that can fly in an infinite number of directions, heights, speeds and spin rotations into a forest of trees, that it will deflect onto a putting surface? The use of the word "luck" is the best way to describe this event.
You do not actually have to calculate the precise probabilities to realise the world is of a statistical nature.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 08 Oct 2013, 7:32 am

With all due respect Mac you are way way way over thinking it and you've started contradicting yourself

"Luck does not exist"

and approx 6 hours later...

"Luck is a construct"

Unlucky!! Wink

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by McLaren Tue 08 Oct 2013, 8:06 am

Qualified with the statement

"Of course it doesn't really exist in any form"

In relation to luck.

Meaning it does not exist in terms of any rule in the universe.

So no contradiction at all.
McLaren
McLaren

Back to top Go down

Post by Bob_the_Job Tue 08 Oct 2013, 8:56 am

Interesting semantic debate, but whether you call it "luck" or a "yet to be balanced distribution of favourable versus unfavourable outcomes", some players seem to have more of it than others. Philosophically I would imagine they should be in for a run of unfavourable outcomes - but perhaps they'll retire before then. Yes, I'm talking about 9 chins.
Bob_the_Job
Bob_the_Job

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 08 Oct 2013, 9:07 am

Not golf related but I had a huge slice of luck when I was in my early twenties. At the time I was working in a fairly small office, run by two partners, who decided that I should be the one responsible for selecting a new computer system to replace the current one that was now getting old and out of date. The company that I chose to use was a fledgling business and fairly unknown but I liked their style, they were youthful and had plenty of innovative ideas that I felt would be of great benefit to the growth and expansion of our own business. It was during the mid-eighties, Maggie Thatcher's conservative government was still riding high after the victorious Falklands campaign and it was right at the start of the IT boom.

About three months after the successful installation of the system into our office the company that supplied it decided to go public. Because of the connection I was contacted and offered shares at a highly discounted price of 15 pence each. I wasn't particularly flush with cash at the time, I had just bought my first property a two bedroom flat, and I was living with my girlfriend. But I decided to have a punt and spent £2000 buying 13,333 shares.

As soon as the Company floated the share price rocketed. The next few years were amazing, I couldn't believe it, it was like a decent football pools or lottery win every quarter. On a few days the share price went up over £1! The company was hugely successful and profitable, having quickly spread nationwide they then got a lucrative foothold into the American market as well.

When the share price reached £25 a share split was offered which reduced the price of the shares to £5 but in return you received five times the amount of the shares that you were holding. From that figure the highest price the shares reached was £13.59. My two grand investment had turned into just under a million quid and I made a good percentage of that.  

I bought an acre of land and had a spacious four bedroomed property built and paid cash. I didn't have to sell the flat which has provided a nice bit of rental income ever since. It was pure luck of course, I didn't do anything particularly clever other than take a punt on a couple of grand. Now a bit of money doesn't solve all our problems or guarantee happiness of course, we all know that. But it sure as hell helped me though, in bringing up two kids without having a mortgage to pay every month, or worry about where to find the money to pay the bills.

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 08 Oct 2013, 9:12 am

It's exactly that Bob, this debate has randomly and probabilisticly (wtf kind of word was that MAC??) turned into a debate about semantics.

Lets take another example...in a medal a couple of years ago a playing partner was taking aim at a par 5 green with his 3 wood from about 250yards. There were a couple of seagulls on the fairway about 60 yards in front of him. He drilled a low one and thooomp!! 2 seagulls became one seagull and he still had 190 yards in. I would hazard a guess that NO playing partner would utter the words "wow, that was statistically a very low probabilistic outcome for that particular event and it would have been even less probable if you'd hit a high draw mate" On the other hand "Aw Poopie, unlucky mate" or words to that effect would be much more common.

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Tue 08 Oct 2013, 10:26 am

Childish alert.

Luck, wahey! Get it? Oh come on! LUCK! Sounds almost exactly like f-!

(Probably) copyright BBC, Blackadder II 1986.

Sorry.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Tue 08 Oct 2013, 12:41 pm

Blue, my jealousy-ometer has gone through the roof
I dream of something like that happening to me!

Good for you and many people wouldn't have been brave enough to take that punt even at £2k so well done.

Oh, and sorry but i have to say this..... are we certain Blue isn't Mav? thumbsup
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 08 Oct 2013, 1:01 pm

McLaren wrote:Jas

You seem to have missed the point.  Luck is a construct of the human minds interpretation of the world.  If we always perceived events in a statistical manner luck would not exist.  Of course it doesn't really exist in any form.

Good God Almighty! No Mac, it's you who've missed the point of the thread I think.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 08 Oct 2013, 1:05 pm

Roller_Coaster wrote:Childish alert.

Luck, wahey! Get it? Oh come on! LUCK! Sounds almost exactly like f-!

(Probably) copyright BBC, Blackadder II 1986.

Sorry.
Laugh Wasn't that the episode 'Beer'?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by BlueCoverman Tue 08 Oct 2013, 1:24 pm

MustPuttBetter wrote:Good for you and many people wouldn't have been brave enough to take that punt even at £2k so well done.

Oh, and sorry but i have to say this..... are we certain Blue isn't Mav? thumbsup

Cheers MPB and I think we can be fairly certain. I have never claimed to have been:-

a) Army boxing champion

b) The course record holder of everywhere I have ever played

c) Irresistible to women who immediately dispatch all of their clothing the moment they see me Laugh

BlueCoverman

Back to top Go down

Post by incontinentia Tue 08 Oct 2013, 1:52 pm

She's up all night til the sun,
I'm up all night to get some,
she's up all night for good fun,
I'm up all night to get a statistically very low probabilistic favourable outcome.
incontinentia
incontinentia

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Tue 08 Oct 2013, 2:43 pm

incontinentia wrote:She's up all night til the sun,
I'm up all night to get a statistically very low probabilistic favourable outcome.
Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh 
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 08 Oct 2013, 2:51 pm

Laugh clap
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by JAS Tue 08 Oct 2013, 7:35 pm

Yup!!! Brilliant Incon, Post of the week so far!! Laugh Laugh Laugh

JAS

Back to top Go down

Post by George1507 Tue 08 Oct 2013, 7:58 pm

it's an interesting question this. I'm not sure easy it is to say how lucky or unlucky you have been after a round because most of us don't have access to a video recording our play. since most of the action takes place at least 150 yards away, it's entirely possible you miss the bounce that takes it away from the bunker or the twig that pushes it into the bunker.

in nearly every major championship I have watched where someone won by a single shot, there's a shot you can recall which just avoided a bunker or a lake and the guy goes on to win. a different bounce and history would be different.

someone mentioned jean van de velde at carnoustie. also at carnoustie I remember gary player hitting a second shot over the spectacles that missed a bunker by a fraction of an inch. jack nicklaus hit a similar shot that kicked into the same bunker. player made three, nicklaus six, and player won.

the margins are very fine indeed. one good break or one bad break is the difference between winning and losing.

George1507

Back to top Go down

Post by kwinigolfer Tue 08 Oct 2013, 8:55 pm

"most of the action takes place at least 150 yards away".
Not with me it doesn't - only wish it did.
And I'm still unliucky!

kwinigolfer

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Wed 09 Oct 2013, 4:20 am

Isn't the putter the most used club in the bag? So most of the action takes place on or around the green.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 09 Oct 2013, 9:08 am

Most of the shots happen in and around the green but I'd say that most of the action involving good/bad luck (or low statistical probability events...) are with the longer shots (or at least the stand out memories of lucky/unlucky events lie there). Drives that hit walls or trees that ping into the fairway, thinned approaches that run through bunkers to the pin, irons that kick off the fairway distance marker blocks/sprinkler heads into unexpected gumpf etc.

On the green the surfaces are (generally!) better and truer so reference to luck tends to give way to the shot being a good or a bad one (or higher statistical probability grabs more hold). Yes there are hugely overhit putts that fortunately(?) hit the back of the cup plop up then drop but misses tend to be put (ah ha) down to bad line, bad weight, bad stroke rather than the gods.

I'm unlucky btw Whistle

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 09 Oct 2013, 9:13 am

I think we're all lucky since we ended up discovering golf, a game that you can go on playing almost forever, instead of fencing, hurling, synchronised swimming or javelin Wink
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by lorus59 Wed 09 Oct 2013, 9:16 am

You can play it as much as you want, true, but is is not the cheapest pastime in the world.

lorus59

Back to top Go down

Post by MustPuttBetter Wed 09 Oct 2013, 9:21 am

I don't think it's that expensive
You buy yourself some bats, yes they can be expensive but don't have to be. You could pick up something decent and secondhand for £200.
Then if you're a member of a club you've got the monthly fee. I pay £112 a month and i had always assumed that was on the more pricey side.

Bearing in mind when i played football (which i would assume is considered a cheap sport) you used to pay £80-£120 a year for decent boots plus it was always approx £6 a week subs at an amateur level. I believe that is more like £10 a week these days, so call that £40-£50 a month.
Not a massive difference
MustPuttBetter
MustPuttBetter

Back to top Go down

Post by MontysMerkin Wed 09 Oct 2013, 9:26 am

Used to play hockey and at a tenner a game, plus 150 notes a year subs, plus equipment and petrol costs, golf is a lot cheaper!
MontysMerkin
MontysMerkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Roller_Coaster Wed 09 Oct 2013, 9:33 am

Jeez - I'd not thought about it like that. On those numbers it's not a bad price (cf £50 p/m + £3 a weekly comp less occasional winnings).

Balls last a lot less time in golf though (for me spraying them about or {very rarely} scuffing them with a crisp wedge) and can be quite expensive.

Roller_Coaster

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 10 Oct 2013, 11:44 am

Luck is a really interesting concept and this is a great thread (apart from Mac's dumb comments).

I used to consider myself really unlucky on the golf course, nothing ever went my way and my regular playing partner and I always used to joke about his good luck and my bad luck. As I've got older I've changed my view and now realise that my good luck and bad luck even out over the long run, I guess I'm mature enough now to recognise that some of my good shots are more to do with luck than skill. My partner however, continues to experience nothing but good luck. I've never known anything like it!

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 10 Oct 2013, 11:52 am

SmithersJones wrote:Luck, good or bad, only ever comes into play on poor(er) shots.
Not sure about this one SJ. Have you never struck a perfect putt, watch it track towards the hole and then see it catch a spike mark and miss? Or hit a perfect drive down the middle of the fairway and found your ball in a deep divot? Or watch a perfect drive hit a hump / sprinkler head / distance marker in the middle of the fairway and deflect into the rough or fairway bunker? Seems to happen to me all the time!  Laugh

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 10 Oct 2013, 11:58 am

Everybody - what are your stories of outrageous luck, either good or bad?

To keep super happy, here is a classic luck of the Irish moment from Darren Clarke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1CKesTyTpI

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by raycastleunited Thu 10 Oct 2013, 12:22 pm

Actually this is more lucky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KbGbLOQ4mk

raycastleunited

Back to top Go down

Post by SmithersJones Thu 10 Oct 2013, 2:08 pm

raycastleunited wrote:
SmithersJones wrote:Luck, good or bad, only ever comes into play on poor(er) shots.
Not sure about this one SJ. Have you never struck a perfect putt, watch it track towards the hole and then see it catch a spike mark and miss? Or hit a perfect drive down the middle of the fairway and found your ball in a deep divot? Or watch a perfect drive hit a hump / sprinkler head / distance marker in the middle of the fairway and deflect into the rough or fairway bunker? Seems to happen to me all the time!  Laugh
I was going to concede the point when I first read that Ray, but in fact, no. If there's a spike mark in the line of your putt, and you hit it, you've hit the putt where you wanted to. Alternatively, if it's there, and you miss it and so miss the putt, are you still unlucky? Divots in the middle of the fairway aren't unlucky, they're more likely there since that's where you're supposed to put your drive. Finding a divot in the rough is unlucky, finding one in the middle of the fairway is part and parcel of the game. As as for your deflections, how narrow are your fairways ffs? Wink
SmithersJones
SmithersJones

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu 10 Oct 2013, 2:58 pm

Interesting question - I think one issue is that we are almost programmed to down-play the occasions when we have good luck and over-state the bad luck. I play a bit of poker online, and my comment above definitely applies to that.

As for the luck balancing out, it's probably true if you are playing at a similar level over a long period, but you can certainly look at a few cases for the pros where a hefty slice of good luck has won Majors (Darren Clarke skimming the ball over the water on his way to the Open, Larry Mize's chip hitting the hole rather than making it all the way to the lake) and bad luck having cost others (JvdV being the most high profile). Probably matters more to the one-off champions who don't have a history of getting in to position to challenge many times in their career.

Anyway, luckiest thing I've ever seen relating to golf was playing pitch and putt with my sister in Llandudno. She pulled a shot over the fence, which bounced on the adjacent road, cleared a parked car and bounced in the drive of one of the houses the other side of the road - looked to be heading for a window, but the next two bounces saw the ball kick back towards the road, missing at least one more car before the ball came to rest about 200 yards from the tee in the gutter at the road edge. Another 20 yards and it would have run all the way down the Great Orme to the town centre...

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next