The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New scrum rules - thoughts so far?

4 posters

Go down

New scrum rules - thoughts so far? Empty New scrum rules - thoughts so far?

Post by TJ Mon 7 Oct - 21:18

Me - I like 'em. Early days yet and players are still getting used to it as are refs but we are seeing a lot more scrums as contests and a few agaisnt the head. I think less penalties and less mucking about by the fat boys as well.

It would also appear to me that the "clever" props ( who cheat) are having to push instead now.

Early days but looking good to me

TJ

Back to top Go down

New scrum rules - thoughts so far? Empty Re: New scrum rules - thoughts so far?

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 7 Oct - 21:21

I think it's better. Important that refs maintain focus on put in and pushing early. Still have teams playing silly buggers but many fewer penalties based on binding, which is good.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 7 Oct - 21:22

It always struck me as unfair that you gave away a penalty if you failed to grab the right bit of a sprayed on shirt

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 7 Oct - 21:24

TJ wrote:It always struck me as unfair that you gave away a penalty if you failed to grab the right bit of a sprayed on shirt
+1 especially trying to determine who caused the bind failure. Was it the tighthead pulling on the loose heads arm or the loose head missing the bind?

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Totallybiasedscarlet Mon 7 Oct - 21:25

A big improvement. For the first time in years I find myself watching a genuine scrummaging contest. Let's hope teams focus on scrummaging from now on and not on how how they can get around the rules.

Play the game ...
Totallybiasedscarlet
Totallybiasedscarlet

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Mon 7 Oct - 21:47

I agree, the new interpretation seems to have suited some props and hookers who have been able to adapt and disadvantaged some who haven't, from Scots Grant and Ford spring to mind. I'm also not sure all refs have got the hang of it yet, particularly with the feed, still see a lot going to the second row.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 7 Oct - 21:48

Can someone clarify the new rules for me - I thought no pushing was allowed until the ball went in (like old, old rules from the 90's). However, there still seems to be a lot of 'scrummaging' before the ball is put in which is still causing a bit of instability, collapsing, movement, etc. which the change in rules was meant to eradicate. Have the refs not got a handle on this yet (maybe as they're watching the straight feed) or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 7 Oct - 21:49

Ford did not strike for two feeds at least. Whether he couldn't free a foot or simply didn't co ordinate it right I don't know but it lost us two scrums

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 7 Oct - 21:50

They are supposed to put pressure on to stabilise the scrum but not the full power until the ballis in I think.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 7 Oct - 21:51

Yeah, that's what I thought. Come together, form a scrum, apply enough pressure to set it, but not competing until the ball goes in. There still seems to be a lot of competing and tomfoolery!

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon 7 Oct - 21:55

Early days yet - seems to be a lot less to me as the scrum half has to wait until the ref is happy with the scrum set

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Mon 7 Oct - 22:01

From the IRB directions

Coupled with the process, the IRB will instruct referees to ensure that the ball does not enter the tunnel unless the scrum is square and stationary and that a straight throw-in is strictly policed.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon 7 Oct - 22:30

The ref is supposed to wait until the scrum is stable before telling the scrum half to put the ball in. This has been happening in the Jeff games I've seen. Not really watched any pro12. What I have noticed is that some start pushing when then here the ref call rather than waiting for the ball. But I have seen a fair few strikes from hookers.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down