The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Burns looking to offer Beltran a rematch

+12
catchweight
TRUSSMAN66
mobilemaster8
tunes666
seanmichaels
azania
Lance
oxring
SuperCert
Mr Bounce
KingMonkey
Boxtthis
16 posters

Go down

Burns looking to offer Beltran a rematch Empty Burns looking to offer Beltran a rematch

Post by Boxtthis Tue 08 Oct 2013, 11:24 pm

Burns feels he owes Beltran a rematch - from BBC sport

If this comes off then it'll be an admirable move from Burns, both in the sense that he owes Beltran his shot and that Burns is willing to fight a man that gave him such a rough time.

One burning question is: where would it be held? Would Beltran ever come back to the UK? I know I'd have a sour taste in my mouth about the whole debacle.

And, could Burns do things differently this time or does Beltran have his number?

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Burns looking to offer Beltran a rematch Empty Re: Burns looking to offer Beltran a rematch

Post by KingMonkey Wed 09 Oct 2013, 7:18 am

It'll be in the UK, no doubt. He doesn't have to offer the fight so I can't imagine he'd travel to make it happen.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Burns looking to offer Beltran a rematch Empty Re: Burns looking to offer Beltran a rematch

Post by Boxtthis Wed 09 Oct 2013, 10:10 am

No doubt. But, poor Beltran, knowing that, while he's unlikely to experience the same level of robbery, he's also unlikely to get a fair shake.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Bounce Wed 09 Oct 2013, 10:12 am

I say that it shows respect and balls to do this. He's probably aware of the fact that he didn't look good and that he has either reached his peak & wants to get a decent final payday or he believes he can genuinely beat Beltran.

Wasn't his jaw broken early on in the fight? If so it sounds like he'd like to show what he can do at 100%. Reckon he'll win the return.

Mr Bounce

Back to top Go down

Post by SuperCert Wed 09 Oct 2013, 12:12 pm

This is the best fight for Burns anyway as he'd get smashed up by the other guys they're talking about him getting in with. This way he has the chance to put right a "defeat" and look like a good guy in the process. I think he'll probably lose the rematch. Regardless, it's just a matter of time until he's beaten by someone decent.

SuperCert

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 09 Oct 2013, 12:16 pm

Can't back Burns for this one. Beltran looks to offer that little bit more in my view. Greater offensive range with more snap in his shots. I'd be pleased to be proved wrong, however - and I have nothing but respect for Burns if this rematch happens.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Wed 09 Oct 2013, 12:29 pm

I hope this comes off. Beltran will be happy to take the fight anywhere. The judges will be reluctant to rip him off twice, even in Scotland. A lot of Burns own fans booed him after he got the decision last time. Expect Burns to still get away with constant wrestling, same as he did with Martinez, Katsidis and Beltran first time around though. Fist time Burns leaves the UK he gets knocked out I expect. But the broken jaw was in the eight round last time, and unless Burns can improve from last time he will get beaten again. Fair play to him for giving it a go though.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by azania Wed 09 Oct 2013, 12:44 pm

It won't happen. Burns would say that wouldn't he. But doubt that Eddie would let him near anyone with skills. If he gets past his mandatory expect Mr Excitement to fight Crolla and Eddie making all manner of excuses.

azania

Back to top Go down

Post by seanmichaels Wed 09 Oct 2013, 12:50 pm

Terence Crawford is his mandatory. I think Beltran is probably the easier route when compared to Vasquez and Crawford.

seanmichaels
seanmichaels
seanmichaels

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 09 Oct 2013, 1:53 pm

Burns only lost narrowly,  so providing he does not have to fight most of the fight with a broken jaw again then he should win I think.

Last edited by tunes666 on Wed 09 Oct 2013, 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 09 Oct 2013, 2:00 pm

Lost narrowly?

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 09 Oct 2013, 2:01 pm

tunes666 wrote:Burns only lost narrowly,  so providing he does not have to fight have the fight with a broken jaw again then he should win I think.
I admit to being somewhat confused by your use of the term "narrowly" - I could give Burns no more than 4/5 rounds - 1,6,7 and one of the final two if memory serves - and considering he was dropped as well - that should equate to a comfortable points win for Beltran, no?
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by mobilemaster8 Wed 09 Oct 2013, 2:03 pm

Exactly, Oxy.

I had Beltran winning with a comfortable score of around 116-112/116-111. He was robbed pure and simple.

It "should" have been a very comprehensive loss for Burns, but boxing politics peed all over Beltrans superior ability and hard work.

mobilemaster8

Back to top Go down

Post by KingMonkey Wed 09 Oct 2013, 2:10 pm

Never been totally convinced by Burns but not sure I can bet against him on the basis of the last fight. How he made it through with that jaw is beyond me.

KingMonkey

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 09 Oct 2013, 2:16 pm

oxring wrote:
tunes666 wrote:Burns only lost narrowly,  so providing he does not have to fight have the fight with a broken jaw again then he should win I think.
I admit to being somewhat confused by your use of the term "narrowly" - I could give Burns no more than 4/5 rounds - 1,6,7 and one of the final two if memory serves - and considering he was dropped as well - that should equate to a comfortable points win for Beltran, no?
On the night I had him down by 2, and Beltran was not great anyway, he walked him down and took rounds by throwing more, but burns wasclearly in a right mess, holding when ever he ccould so on....

No doubt if burns gets back on track and the jaw break does not effect him he will win the rematch..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 09 Oct 2013, 2:23 pm

Point being he was still relatively competitive, and I'm not sure how people can asses a performance with out addressing the fact just jaw was broken... Broken jew = survival mode.

In the first round it looked like burns was going to end it early..

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by oxring Wed 09 Oct 2013, 2:25 pm

tunes666 wrote:
oxring wrote:
On the night I had him down by 2, and Beltran was not great anyway,  he walked him down and took rounds by throwing more,   but burns wasclearly in a right mess,  holding when ever he ccould so on....

No doubt if burns gets back on track and the jaw break does not effect him he will win  the rematch..
Sir, I salute your optimism!

I had Beltran winning rounds as he was throwing more, landing more with greater accuracy and landing more of significance.

http://compuboxonline.com/throwdownfantasy-com-stats-report-burns-d-12-beltran/

Let us be reasonable - the broken jaw must have been an insurmountable hindrance - however, on the evidence of recent fights, I am not sure that Burns has the snap in his punches or the movement to prevent a repeat performance. I would like to be proved wrong, as Burns is an extremely likeable character.
oxring
oxring

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed 09 Oct 2013, 2:56 pm

I just wish the commentator made more of the three round-at-least-Beltran win instead of going on about the 7-5 at best Quigg fight the other night......

Shocking one sided commentary........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by tunes666 Wed 09 Oct 2013, 4:47 pm

oxring wrote:Sir, I salute your optimism!

I had Beltran winning rounds as he was throwing more, landing more with greater accuracy and landing more of significance.  

http://compuboxonline.com/throwdownfantasy-com-stats-report-burns-d-12-beltran/

Let us be reasonable - the broken jaw must have been an insurmountable hindrance - however, on the evidence of recent fights, I am not sure that Burns has the snap in his punches or the movement to prevent a repeat performance.  I would like to be proved wrong, as Burns is an extremely likeable character.
Thinking more about it I did forget about the knock down which would make Beltran 3 up.. I agree in his previous fight he had a poor night, but at the same time he still won the fight and had the guy quit on his stool (who was a good little boxer) .. But in the first round of this fight I thought he had plenty of snap and movement and Beltran looked like he was not happy. then lo and behold whats happening? He just keeps holding on and smothering ... Beltran is just squaring him up against the ropes Ting off and catching him... I just dont think that happened because Beltran is in a better class than Burns, I think it was due to Burns just being in survival mode, in that mode every round is one you are taking a brake in.

I would not really class Beltran as much better than someone like Katsidis.. not that I did not feel sorry for how he must have felt being stolen of the win, I just still think Burns is a better fighter.

tunes666

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Wed 09 Oct 2013, 5:07 pm

Il believe it when I see it. It will probably be Crolla next.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by AlexHuckerby Thu 10 Oct 2013, 5:33 am

Eddie Hearn has said irrefutably that Crolla Vs. Burns is not happening next. Crawford or a rematch with Beltran will most probably be next. The fight will of course be in Scotland, because theres no money in America for the fight with Beltran not able to sell over there unfortunately for him.

AlexHuckerby

Back to top Go down

Post by catchweight Thu 10 Oct 2013, 10:27 am

Crawford would be reluctant to go to Scotland after seeing Beltran winning a fight there and getting rewarded with assrape.

catchweight

Back to top Go down

Post by Boxtthis Thu 10 Oct 2013, 10:34 am

I think the honesty from Burns and Hearn is refreshing in this case. Hearn is on record as admitting that Beltran won and that he morally deserves a rematch:

http://www.boxingscene.com/hearn-rejects-top-rank-offer-burns-vs-crawford--70436

Of course, that only means something if he actually gives him one.

Boxtthis

Back to top Go down

Post by milkyboy Thu 10 Oct 2013, 11:25 am

As has been said, smart move from Eddie. They probably reckon they have a better chance in a rematch with Beltran than the other 'big' fights out there... And the first fight 'injury' v robbery gives a natural selling point did the return.

Great to be able to take the moral high ground.. When it's convenient. Not a jibe at Eddie. Good management for his fighter I'd say. Given, after his last two fights, it's probably a struggle to find a road sweeper he can sell as an alternative (unless he has one 'comeback from injury' fight he thinks he can get away with).

milkyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 10 Oct 2013, 11:32 am

Why is a fight against Crawford being rejected???? Another Broner style duck.

Crawford was supposed to be next up for whoever won. And although the fight was a nonsense draw, it is stalling Crawford's shot.

Burn's vs Crawford and then the winner to fight Beltran should be the way.

Burn's is a joke now. There is no way he will sell out an arena anymore. The public have more than woke up after his last two fights.

Knew Hearn would dodge the Crawford fight like the plague.

Duckety Duckety Duck Duck Duck!!!
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 10 Oct 2013, 4:37 pm

Boxtthis wrote:I think the honesty from Burns and Hearn is refreshing in this case. Hearn is on record as admitting that Beltran won and that he morally deserves a rematch:

http://www.boxingscene.com/hearn-rejects-top-rank-offer-burns-vs-crawford--70436

Of course, that only means something if he actually gives him one.
Changing his tune like this just proves hes a liar though. Hes just trying to hype the rematch and cash in on Burns.

If hes honest why is he still saying the jaw was broken second round when he knows it wasn't?

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 10 Oct 2013, 4:46 pm

How do you know when it was broken?

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 10 Oct 2013, 4:49 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:How do you know when it was broken?
Hearn knows.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 10 Oct 2013, 4:53 pm

Everything i've heard suggests he broke his jaw in the second round which makes sense when you look at his facial expressions.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 10 Oct 2013, 4:54 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Everything i've heard suggests he broke his jaw in the second round which makes sense when you look at his facial expressions.
I agree but I think his performance coupled with his last.........Show a WBO champion who is pretty much at domestic level.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 10 Oct 2013, 4:55 pm

Then his performances before that against Mitchell, Katsidis, Moses and Martinez showed a world level fighter, he's regressed since then but until they rematch I have no idea how much effect the broken jaw had.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 10 Oct 2013, 4:58 pm

But you don't REGARD BRONER AS ANYTHING SPECIAL..........and yet If you regarded Burns as a world level fighter against that opposition why regard Broner as nothing special.....

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 10 Oct 2013, 5:02 pm

There is a big big difference between world level and being special. Mayweather and Ward are currently special fighters, Pacquiao, Marquez and Martinez were special. Broner is a world level fighter who's opposition is no better than that of Burns but he's had it easier because he's bigger.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 10 Oct 2013, 5:03 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:Everything i've heard suggests he broke his jaw in the second round which makes sense when you look at his facial expressions.
rewatch the fight. after round 1 to 7 bBurns corner treat him like normal. put his bottle in his mouth in the middle, wipe his face dry as usual. Burns talks as normal. during the round he leans on with his face in the clinches

round 8 the damage is done. Burns actually tells his corner after 8 hes been hurt. round 9 burns starts pushing beltran away and when he clinches he avoids contact with his face and puts his head downwards. after round 9 he tells the corner his jaw is Frak. they start giving him water gently from the side and stop wiping his face from this moment onwards.

Burns knows exactly when it happened, im sure Hearn does to. Just lying to look for sympathy

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 10 Oct 2013, 5:05 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:There is a big big difference between world level and being special. Mayweather and Ward are currently special fighters, Pacquiao, Marquez and Martinez were special. Broner is a world level fighter who's opposition is no better than that of Burns but he's had it easier because he's bigger.
I remember you saying you didn't rate him..........Which is open to interpretation...........

I was looking for clarification.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 10 Oct 2013, 5:07 pm

I personally believe them, the evidence I saw from the fight shows a boxer worried everytime he got close grabbing any chance he got. This didn't start in round 8 it started in round 2 and the effect of adrenaline could mean his pain threshold was increased.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 10 Oct 2013, 5:08 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:
Hammersmith harrier wrote:There is a big big difference between world level and being special. Mayweather and Ward are currently special fighters, Pacquiao, Marquez and Martinez were special. Broner is a world level fighter who's opposition is no better than that of Burns but he's had it easier because he's bigger.
I remember you saying you didn't rate him..........Which is open to interpretation...........

I was looking for clarification.........
I don't rate him as a special fighter, he's just a normal world level fighter in the class of a Garcia or Khan.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn Thu 10 Oct 2013, 5:09 pm

But Hammer he had that same look on his face against Ghonzalez and "ring rust" was blamed for that. That was his mandatory fight.

Then his soft defence was supposed to be Beltran and I dont believe they thought it would be that tough.
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn
Reborn-DeeMcK-Reborn

http://theboxingfreak.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 10 Oct 2013, 5:10 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I personally believe them, the evidence I saw from the fight shows a boxer worried everytime he got close grabbing any chance he got. This didn't start in round 8 it started in round 2 and the effect of adrenaline could mean his pain threshold was increased.
he grabbed and hugged round 1 to 7. same as he did against Martinez and katsidis. he wasn't worried or protecting anything.
why did he wait until after round 8 to say he was hurt? why wait until after 9 to say his jaw was done? why didn't his corner start protecting it earlier? I guess you want to believe your boys, fair play. but rewatch the whole fight and you might see what im saying

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu 10 Oct 2013, 5:11 pm

Hammer.......You don't know that yet.........

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 10 Oct 2013, 5:11 pm

I've seen the fight three times in total and my opinion hasn't changed on it all, people see what they want to see and I think you are doing just that.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Thu 10 Oct 2013, 5:13 pm

Hammersmith harrier wrote:I've seen the fight three times in total and my opinion hasn't changed on it all, people see what they want to see and I think you are doing just that.
I have no preference to either guy. You are the Burns fan.

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Hammersmith harrier Thu 10 Oct 2013, 5:23 pm

I'm not a Burns fan, just because i've not made up my own theory doesn't mean i'm a fan, I used to enjoy his fights but the past couple have been poor.

Hammersmith harrier

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 23 Nov 2013, 8:59 pm

Burns face being shown in the Crolla fight a bit. Id bet good money Burns avoids Beltran and Crawford and fights Crolla instead

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Lance Sat 23 Nov 2013, 9:30 pm

the pundits all talking up the crolla burns match up. im sure hearn has put them up to this

Lance

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down