The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roy Hodgson

+4
Duty281
Good Golly I'm Olly
Dolphin Ziggler
Y I Man
8 posters

Go down

Roy Hodgson

Roy Hodgson Vote_lcap8%Roy Hodgson Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 1 ]
Roy Hodgson Vote_lcap92%Roy Hodgson Vote_rcap 92% 
[ 12 ]

Total Votes : 13

Roy Hodgson Empty Roy Hodgson

Post by Y I Man Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:48 am

Whats the thoughts on this guy?
I cant decide!

Y I Man

Back to top Go down

Roy Hodgson Empty Re: Roy Hodgson

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:31 pm

I'll leave this to Duty to make the "support for Roy Hodgson" opening statement

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:21 pm

If he was lucky surely he'd have 11 world class players at his disposal?

Ridiculous poll
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:32 pm

One game, one good, expectant result against quite frankly woeful opposition & now we are having a poll on Hodgson, with a choice of 'he knows what he's doing'.

If Hodgson knew what he was doing, we wouldn't of been in the position & situation we found ourselves in. We've been embarrassingly poor throughout this whole campaign & given inferior, diabolical international minnows the confidence & self-belief of thinking they can or might actually qualify. This group should of been done & dusted months ago, however Hodgson's inability to find the correct tactics, especially away from home has cost us massively. Too negative, to conservative & hoping we can sneak games 1-0 is not & was not the tactic to employ. We should of exerted our authority on the group, played attacking, expessive football, like last night & we would never have been struggling to the last game in an attempt to qualify for Brazil. I'm just glad Roy has come to terms with the need for more of an offensive threat & hopefully we can now see a transition away from negative tactics & allowing our quality players the opportunity to shine. Ditching Cleverley was also a huge shift in the right direction. The positive signs are there now, I just hope Roy continues like this but I fear, as usual, he'll return to the 'dark age' tactics, when we come up against stronger sides.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:34 pm

Fantastic bloody manager. Knows how to get the best out of England, and enjoys a gamble. The only managers who take gambles, are the ones confident in their ability, and that of the team.

Playing Oxlade against France. I think it worked.
Putting Theo on for the last half-hour v Sweden. It definitely worked.
Throwing on Carroll and Walcott after 60 minutes against Italy. It nearly came off.
Starting Andros Townsend yesterday. Massive tick for that one!

And then he knows when to take a safety-first approach- the friendly in the Maracana and a very credible draw that resulted, or last month's draw in Ukraine which set up England perfectly for this month.

He's the absolute perfect manager for this England side, and probably the best manager of England since Sir Bobby Robson.

Trust in Roy to do the right thing, for he is the hope beyond despair.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:42 pm

Duty281 wrote:Fantastic bloody manager. Knows how to get the best out of England, and enjoys a gamble. The only managers who take gambles, are the ones confident in their ability, and that of the team.

Playing Oxlade against France. I think it worked.
Putting Theo on for the last half-hour v Sweden. It definitely worked.
Throwing on Carroll and Walcott after 60 minutes against Italy. It nearly came off.
Starting Andros Townsend yesterday. Massive tick for that one!

And then he knows when to take a safety-first approach- the friendly in the Maracana and a very credible draw that resulted, or last month's draw in Ukraine which set up England perfectly for this month.

He's the absolute perfect manager for this England side, and probably the best manager of England since Sir Bobby Robson.

Trust in Roy to do the right thing, for he is the hope beyond despair.
Roy should of played Theo from the start against their 35 year old defenders with no pace. Poor management playing the defensive option of Milner, once again showcasing how negative he is. Oxlade against France did nothing much, we were outplayed second half and lucky to hang on to the draw. Threw on Carroll & Walcott against Italy and it nearly came off? Well it didnt & we were outplayed massively & lucky to hold onto ET. Agree on Townsend but Montenegro are hardly any good.

He know's how to take a safety-first-approach....haha you can say that again

best manager since Sir Bobby??? okay. Capello made qualifying for WC's look a doddle. Sven got us to a QF......Hodgson's taken us past San Marino & Moldova & only until last night past Montengro....at the fourth time of asking. Don't reply with friendly results, they mean nothing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:04 pm

The question is disingenuous and the answers typically one sided.

It is clear that Hodgson knows what he's doing to the extent that on the whole his tactics have been coherent if limited. He is lucky to the extent that England's draw has been favourable enough that his limited tactics have been just about sufficient.

Whether he is the best manager for this England team in this situation is an interesting debate. The suggestion that as of now he can be called a better manager than Capello or even SGE is based on nothing but ugly nationalism.

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:19 pm

Mike Selig wrote:The question is disingenuous and the answers typically one sided.

It is clear that Hodgson knows what he's doing to the extent that on the whole his tactics have been coherent if limited. He is lucky to the extent that England's draw has been favourable enough that his limited tactics have been just about sufficient.

Whether he is the best manager for this England team in this situation is an interesting debate. The suggestion that as of now he can be called a better manager than Capello or even SGE is based on nothing but ugly nationalism.
Agree.

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:22 pm

Roy's got us to a Euro QF as well John, and he didn't lose to France on the way. #inroywetrust #comeonengland

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:29 pm

He got us to a Euro QF but all you had to do was qualify out of an average group by playing just three games, with no second round knockout game. Were we actually in the QF though? We were more like passengers or by-standers against Pirlo & co. Yeah, we drew because we parked the bus, hoping for a 1-0 win but it was terrible to watch.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike Selig Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:37 pm

John wrote:He got us to a Euro QF but all you had to do was qualify out of an average group by playing just three games, with no second round knockout game. Were we actually in the QF though? We were more like passengers or by-standers against Pirlo & co. Yeah, we drew because we parked the bus, hoping for a 1-0 win but it was terrible to watch.
Not sure it was even that TBH. There is a big difference between playing defensively and looking to hit teams on the break, as Chelsea have done regularly and with decent success against Barcelona, and playing what I term "defend and hope", by which I mean that you are so outclassed and outpaced that you have no coherent plan beyond hanging on by putting as many men behind the ball as you can and hoping something falls for you. The former is a plan, the latter is not. The latter IMO was how England played against Italy (and to a certain extent Chelsea did against Bayern).

Mike Selig

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:39 pm

To be fair I think we were trying to counter, just Ashley Young was meant to be an "outlet" and put in the single worst performance I've ever seen
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:47 pm

To be fair to England, we had several good chances to win that match. We should have also had a penalty towards the latter part of the second half.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Dolphin Ziggler Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:52 pm

I think hes the best man available to us for the job. I like the amount of new blood hes brought in, and I think he really would like to get rid of the Gerrard/Lampard axis but cant trust Wilshere's form, isnt sure on Carrick (especially in a game where he wasnt needed last night) and is probably right not to thrust Barkley in as a starter yet. I trust him to move on the older players after the world cup too.

Hes very similar to Capello in many ways. Think he probably recognises our weakest three players all play in defence. As a manager more comfortable building from a solid platform then im in no way surprised to see the team built a little more than usual to protect that. I also get far more of a feeling that theres a long term group plan with Hodgson, whereas I think Capello was a bit more short term-ist.

The team is most likely gonna finish top of the group and undefeated. Boo-hoo.

Dolphin Ziggler
Dolphin
Dolphin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:58 pm

Duty that's just embarrassing. If England had good chances, Italy had a whole sackful of chances + a whole lot more. 31 shots to our 8 over 120 minutes, 18 on target to our measely 4. I know you like your possession stats, well they completely dominated with 65%. Pirlo was untouchable, Roy put an unfit Rooney on him to mark him. Clueless.

Yeah, he's the best man for the job because quite frankly, nobody would touch the job. Especially with the F.A paying off Capello & the high wages being a thing of the past for England managers. Yeah, England will finish top of the group & undefeated most probably but it's the quality of teams, or lack of it, that has allowed us to achieve that. Once the step up comes, we'll be found out & back to square one. I'm not sure Roy would deserve another campaign, if we got didn't achieve a QF in Brazil at the very least. He would of had his turn, twice, in major comps and ultimately failed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:06 pm

I'd be more than happy with a World Cup QF. To be honest anything out of the groups is a bonus for me, with the current lack of talent we have.

As Dolph says he's currently transitioning the old out, and the young in.

Ukraine, Poland and Montenegro aren't as amazingly bad people would like to make out. I don't think the Poles are that bad, in fact there's a fair few players in their side I'd take over ours everyday of the week
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:56 am

You England fans are a hard bunch to please aren't you. It seems that your quick to say that you don't possess the players of Germany, Italy etc and say you don't have any 'world class' players, yet you think that you should be steamrollering past sides of almost equal calibre?

Hodgson has done a good job. His first real competitive matches in the job were at a major tournament against a useful French outfit, a bogey side in Sweden and the host nation in the ukraine, and they didn't lose and have yet to lose under Hodgson. Like Coleman for Wales, he's rarely had the chance to play his fully fit side. People criticized the performance against Ukraine but with the injuries in the attack department, they set up well and most importantly did not lose.

They were superb against Montenegro and showed under Roy, with the attacking talent available like Sturridge, Rooney etc, England can be a real threat going forward. The selection of Townsend took some guts and it paid off, he was superb. With Walcott to come back as well England have a decent side going forward. Think people need to appreciate what an excellent manager Hodgson is personally.

Liam

Back to top Go down

Post by alfie Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:57 am

Haven't been able to watch enough of England recently to speak with any authority on this , but I rather like Hodgson and what he seems to be trying to do.
I find it a little odd that the same people who constantly moan that England doesn't have any world class players also complain that Roy doesn't adopt a super-aggressive game plan and thereby destroy anyone south of Brazil/Germany/Spain ... I mean , the man has hardly lost a competitive match with this supposedly mediocre bunch of players and is one win away from topping the group and qualifying : I reckon he is at least due the benefit of the doubt for the time being !

After Tuesday we will no doubt have a lot of opinions revised one way or the other. But whatever happens , I do believe he knows what he is doing.

alfie

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:02 pm

That's what I don't get with some England fans.

Some think that we're a second tier outfit, who should be battering second-tier teams, and not play negatively against teams like France or Italy.

#inconsistency

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by NickisBHAFC Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:39 pm

I don't like his tactics, but he obviously knows what he is doing.

Stupid Poll.

NickisBHAFC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down