The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ireland's November Series and Beyond...

+51
KiaRose
Gibson
Cari
hugo124
wolfball
toml
JmD
the-goon
clivemcl
Pete330v2
petethepete
Submachine
Mickado
Jenifer McLadyboy
westisbest
Feckless Rogue
Exiledinborders
fa0019
whocares
littlejohn
Artful_Dodger
aucklandlaurie
Biltong
marty2086
Rory_Gallagher
theslosty
Cyril
8Studs
mystiroakey
GunsGerms
Engine#4
Don Alfonso
Standulstermen
thebandwagonsociety
geoff998rugby
Golden
GloriousEmpire
ME-109
Sin é
geoff999rugby
gleesonisgod
LeinsterFan4life
The Great Aukster
profitius
rodders
SecretFly
Notch
pete (buachaill on eirne)
Taylorman
emack2
RugbyFan182
55 posters

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next

Go down

How will Ireland do in the Autumn Internationals?

Ireland's November Series and Beyond... - Page 10 Vote_lcap38%Ireland's November Series and Beyond... - Page 10 Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 19 ]
Ireland's November Series and Beyond... - Page 10 Vote_lcap40%Ireland's November Series and Beyond... - Page 10 Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 20 ]
Ireland's November Series and Beyond... - Page 10 Vote_lcap2%Ireland's November Series and Beyond... - Page 10 Vote_rcap 2% 
[ 1 ]
Ireland's November Series and Beyond... - Page 10 Vote_lcap0%Ireland's November Series and Beyond... - Page 10 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Ireland's November Series and Beyond... - Page 10 Vote_lcap4%Ireland's November Series and Beyond... - Page 10 Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 2 ]
Ireland's November Series and Beyond... - Page 10 Vote_lcap16%Ireland's November Series and Beyond... - Page 10 Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 50

Ireland's November Series and Beyond... - Page 10 Empty Ireland's November Series and Beyond...

Post by RugbyFan182 Wed 16 Oct 2013, 1:31 am

First topic message reminder :

Right boys, I want you give realistic guess of how Ireland will do in the November tests. I want you to separate your hearts from your heads. How do you predict Ireland will do and how will this set them up for the Six nations based on your poll prediction for the Autumn tests.

Do you believe in Schmidt? Do you believe he is the catalyst for consistent success or will we yet again disappoint by firing hot and cold like recent championships have dictated. Is there cause for quite confidence or should we be holding are cards close to our chest.

Feel free to throw out your wildest aspirations on the table or to throw caution to the wind.

The rest is up to you....

Sat 9th Ireland vs Samoa - Autumn
Sat 16th Ireland vs Australia - Autumn
Sun 24th Ireland vs New Zealand

Last edited by RugbyFan182 on Thu 07 Nov 2013, 7:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

RugbyFan182

Back to top Go down

Ireland's November Series and Beyond... - Page 10 Empty Re: Ireland's November Series and Beyond...

Post by Notch Mon 04 Nov 2013, 7:51 pm

I doubt he will go, he's not at the stage of his career where he could handle the workload of a long, brutal Top14 season.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Ireland's November Series and Beyond... - Page 10 Empty Re: Ireland's November Series and Beyond...

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 04 Nov 2013, 8:08 pm

On the Captaincy

O'Driscoll: won't be there for the RWC
O'Connell: always injured
Best: throwing falls to pieces regularly whic would demoralize the team.
Heaslip: Terrible captain. Anyone but Heaslip please.
O’Mahony: Not guaranteed starter.
Sexton: Traitor. Won't be able to give his all for Ireland as he'll be flogged in France.
Kearney: Playing cr@p
Healy: headcase
Conor Murray: not mature enough

There's no options jumping out at us, until you think

Sean O'Brien

One of our few world class players. Humble. Inspirational game changer. Will get the benefit of the doubt more at the breakdown if he's captain. You know it makes sense.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 04 Nov 2013, 8:10 pm

He's never struck me as one of the candidates. He's not a big talker on the pitch. O'Connell or Best, they talk a lot on the pitch to their teammates, keep them focused through the game. I've never seen O'Brien fulfilling that role. It will be O'Mahony or Heaslip at the Rugby World Cup, I think O'Driscoll should be Captain as long as he's in the team.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 04 Nov 2013, 8:16 pm

If it's between O'Mahoney and Heaslip then I hope Schmidt goes for O'Mahoney. Picking Heaslip would be starting off his tenure with a big mistake.

Do you not think we should take into account that BOD definitely won't be there for the RWC? Might as well give an extra season to a new captain before the biggest event.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by Rory_Gallagher Mon 04 Nov 2013, 8:19 pm

At this point I would say O'Mahony is a guaranteed starter.. I mean lets face it, the chances of a fully fit and firing Ferris coming back are rather slim at this point. O'Mahony is highly rated as both a player and as a leader.

He is the best choice for the captaincy I think. Heaslip will retain it for now though, probably.

Rory_Gallagher

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 04 Nov 2013, 8:20 pm

I think that we have a number of leaders in the team and it's not just one guy who shoulders the burden himself. I don't think having BOD as Captain stops any other future Captaincy candidate from stepping up as a leader and if it does they probably shouldn't be considered for the job anyway.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 04 Nov 2013, 8:21 pm

It'll be O'Connell, with Best as vice captain. Joe won't chance a Leinster man, plus Heaslip and POC hate each other.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 04 Nov 2013, 8:25 pm

Draw straws.

All joking aside my choice for Captain would be Sexton.  Generally abrasive, mouthy, emotionally involved for the full 80, a natural organiser and tidy-upper - and a game-changer (when in the mood Whistle )

I don't go with this tired, now quaint, formula that Captains are naturally one of the big basterauds in the forwards.  That's just old fashioned rubbish in this professional sport.
Your Captain is a driver, a herder.  He's the heartbeat of the team, whatever position he plays.  

And that's why O'Driscoll was never the best choice - he's too selfish - and looks after his own heart (in a beautiful way).  

Paul was a good one but he's grinding bone on bone these days and would give the damning impression to outsiders that the old geriatric 'Golden Generation' are still reining supreme.

We need to keep moving forwards, not backwards. Sexton is Keane

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by westisbest Mon 04 Nov 2013, 8:26 pm

Would Bowe make a decent captain?

Bar injury, would be a definite starter.

Vocal enough, good character.

Top player.

westisbest

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 04 Nov 2013, 8:29 pm

Bowe - no.

Sexton would have been an option but we can't have a money grabbing turn coat as captain.

Options are grim - we night need to get someone with an Irish granny.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Golden Mon 04 Nov 2013, 8:35 pm

Best for me. He's the only nailed on starter, that's captain material and isn't an injury concern.

If Schmidt keeps the captaincy as low key as he's been saying it shouldn't be too big a deal to change it in the future.

Golden

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 04 Nov 2013, 8:49 pm

So nobody's going for my Sean O'Brien left field choice.

If you could guaranteed me O'Connell would be fit for over three quarter of our games he's be the best choice.
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon 04 Nov 2013, 9:04 pm

Nope.

Quinny, Jackman and steady Eddie talking some serious bollix there on against the head... that's an hour of my life I'll never get back ...
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Feckless Rogue Mon 04 Nov 2013, 9:05 pm

What were they talkin about rodders?
Feckless Rogue
Feckless Rogue

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 04 Nov 2013, 9:13 pm

We're going to walk all over the ABs?

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by The Great Aukster Mon 04 Nov 2013, 9:50 pm

The only guaranteed starter with leadership qualities who will be around in 2015 and least likely to be injured is Sexton. He is in the perfect position to execute Schmidt's plans and direct the team on the pitch. Joe knows his game well and he knows Joe's methods well. Sexton is a new generation who knows all the players and has been in the Rabo long enough to know the new ones as well. Moving to France could arguably be good for a captain to expand his horizons with different techniques and motivations.

If it doesn't matter in what league a player is playing to be selected then it shouldn't matter to the captaincy either. The only issue about playing in the T14 is that Sexton might be alienated from the rest of the team or even resented echoing the traitor jibes above. However if the Ireland players want to win they know Sexton is a key element in success so respect shouldn't be an issue.

The Great Aukster

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Mon 04 Nov 2013, 10:00 pm

I think the 'traitor' jibes are very much tongue in cheek Aukster

... especially from rascal Rodders there, who I think was throwing a little shot across my bow as regards another chat we were having a few days ago Cool 

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Mon 04 Nov 2013, 10:04 pm

The captain will have to be based in Ireland as they are needed for lots of off-field stuff as well. And for instance, last week, the captain would have left the camp on Thursday to go back to his club to play at the weekend.

By the way, POC is going no where. From joe.ie

HEINEKEN CUP
5 days ago
O’Connell confirms he will finish career at Munster while Donnacha Ryan holds talks with Perpignan
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Mon 04 Nov 2013, 10:07 pm

Sin é wrote:The captain will have to be based in Ireland as they are needed for lots of off-field stuff as well. And for instance, last week, the captain would have left the camp on Thursday to go back to his club to play at the weekend.
Yep.

I think that it would send out the wrong message to give it to the one guy who isn't based in Ireland.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Mon 04 Nov 2013, 11:38 pm

Sin é wrote:The captain will have to be based in Ireland as they are needed for lots of off-field stuff as well. And for instance, last week, the captain would have left the camp on Thursday to go back to his club to play at the weekend.

By the way, POC is going no where. From joe.ie

HEINEKEN CUP
5 days ago
O’Connell confirms he will finish career at Munster while Donnacha Ryan holds talks with Perpignan
The posted article was from mid October. POC was never going anywhere...

POM would be the best choice of Captain.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 05 Nov 2013, 8:57 am

Feckless Rogue wrote:What were they talkin about rodders?
Eddie was trying to whisk an egg with a cheese grater...

No just Eddie doing a tactical critique on Joes 2 man to a ruck policy on attack, saying it may not work at international level because the collisions are harder to win and we could get turned over if Joe can't adapt his style. Pretty much Eddie bumming himself up a la Clive Woodward.

Meanwhile you have Quinny waffling how Joe needs to start with the old guard like D'arcy to get results and to forget about the long term but still needs to build a squad through team training sessions.

Some good points made by the panel but mostly wrapped up in self motivated attention seeking garbage.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 05 Nov 2013, 9:01 am

Notch wrote:
Yep.

I think that it would send out the wrong message to give it to the one guy who isn't based in Ireland.
Agree, Captain needs to be a role model on and off the field and picking a guy who is based abroad contradicts IRFU selection policy and send out the wrong message.

Pity because I agree with Aukster that Sexton is the obvious candidate.

It's O'Connell anyways, just hasn't been announced because he's injured.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 05 Nov 2013, 9:53 am

Place the Captain - whoever he is - outside Lansdowne after every home game lost for about two hours, and let children throw rotten eggs at them.

Yep, that is a job for a home based player right enough, as Sexton will be under orders to get the first plane outta here.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 05 Nov 2013, 11:22 am

Tony Ward reckons Billy Dardis should be called up to the Ireland squad. mo1  http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/dardis-can-follow-watsons-lead-to-grace-big-stage-29725971.html
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 05 Nov 2013, 11:55 am

Who?
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 05 Nov 2013, 12:06 pm

Anyway, from reading the press it now seems that with Sexton not playing at the weekend he's now less likely to be rested for Samoa and that O'Connell, Healy and O'Brien are on course to be fit too- might be a much stronger XV than expected last week.

We'll need it.

Last edited by Notch on Tue 05 Nov 2013, 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 05 Nov 2013, 12:08 pm

Notch wrote:Who?
Billy Dardis. 18 or 19 years old fullback who has yet to play for the Ireland U20s or in the AIL I think.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 05 Nov 2013, 12:11 pm

profitius wrote:
Billy Dardis. 18 or 19 years old fullback who has yet to play for the Ireland U20s or in the AIL I think.
So a kid fresh out of school who will be in an Academy next year at best. Bit of a leftfield choice there.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 05 Nov 2013, 12:16 pm

Notch wrote:
profitius wrote:
So a kid fresh out of school who will be in an Academy next year at best. Bit of a leftfield choice there.
As Ward pointed out Gatland did it before with Darcy. However, at the time Darcy had just single handedly blitzed all opposition in the Leinster senior cup to take the trophy for Clongowes earning him a call up for the summer tour to SA while still in school.

Dont know much about Dardis but Ward goes to a lot of these schools matches and I think he coached Gerards for a while so Im sure he is decent however not sure he has hit the heights Darcy did as a schoolboy.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 05 Nov 2013, 12:21 pm

I think that's Ward's point. Sometimes always thinking from inside a box will keep you firmly in one.

England have 12 teams. Ireland have four. They'll draw wild cards from other AP sides; we don't have that great a luxury but we do certainly allow ourselves to feel contained by that restriction of four.

I guess he's just saying broadening our horizons into previous no-go areas might unearth shards of hope. It certainly wouldn't do any harm to have one or two absolute outsiders feel the effects of a full on Irish International camp every season.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 05 Nov 2013, 12:27 pm

Ireland were -11pts against Samoa but its drifted out to -12pts now.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 05 Nov 2013, 12:34 pm

Manu Samoa XV UPDATE

"This is to advise that Paul William got injured in the weekend and his medical assessment had ruled him out of the tour. Fautua Otto is now called into the squad as his replacement.

David Lemi is also nurturing a shoulder injury from his club game in the weekend and will not travel with us to Ireland today, so that he can complete his scan and medical assessment tomorrow here in London.. He is schedule to join the team on Late Monday or early Tuesday am.

So far 5 players that have been named in the original squad have suffered injuries with the two been completely ruled out (Maurice Faasavalu & Paul Williams), and three (3) others (Daniel Leo, Census Johnston & David Lemi) that are undergoing recovery and hopefully ready for selection during the tour.

The injury toll at this stage is a great concern to the Camp especially that most of the injured players are the leaders in the team, but this is the nature of Rugby and we must adjust ourselves as a team to these circumstances. As always, the positive side of this is that an opportunity will be arisen for another player to step up to the course.

We are moving over to Ireland today, and are looking forward to a big week ahead of us, as we prepare for Ireland on this coming Saturday 9th November 2013."

Faafetai
Namulauulu Sami Leota
Team Manager
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by pete (buachaill on eirne) Tue 05 Nov 2013, 1:56 pm

I don't see why Heaslip shouldn't continue as captain. Yes we had our worst 6Nations in history but with that in mind it was a team/squad failure and despite what many say I think Heaslip didn't do badly in the 6N. He has been playing pretty well this year and is second choice captain for Leinster with a very impressive win ratio as captain.

pete (buachaill on eirne)

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 05 Nov 2013, 2:01 pm

There's a lot of quality young players in and around the provinces who aren't involved- further along a learning curve and therefore going to gain more from it.

In 1998 we had no depth at all, now we have a bit.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Tue 05 Nov 2013, 2:02 pm

I think the reason Heaslip shouldn't continue as Captain is there are three or four guys I feel are better for the job.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Tue 05 Nov 2013, 2:17 pm

SecretFly wrote:I think that's Ward's point.  Sometimes always thinking from inside a box will keep you firmly in one.

England have 12 teams.  Ireland have four.  They'll draw wild cards from other AP sides; we don't have that great a luxury but we do certainly allow ourselves to feel contained by that restriction of four.

I guess he's just saying broadening our horizons into previous no-go areas might unearth shards of hope.  It certainly wouldn't do any harm to have one or two absolute outsiders feel the effects of a full on Irish International camp every season.
The problem is that the gap between the AIL and provinces has grown dramatically since D'arcy, BOD and the likes came through, when it was common place to pick guys from the league.

No way could you pluck a lad at that level now and stick him in with the internationals. He may have the talent but the physical leap would be too much imo.

It would be great if we could broaden the net but the AIL and schools rugby needs a huge shot in the arm first.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 05 Nov 2013, 2:26 pm

Now that we have a bit of depth... we've decended the rankings ladder quicker than a fireman with a heavy casualty on his shoulder.
It doesn't always compute that more experience gives you the edge.  Edge is edge, and you're born with most of it.  I still insist we're too controlled by our ideas of succession - "When he retires, I'm next"
No - are you good enough to be next? - if not, you don't have any rights to being next simply because you're a name at a Province who plays the required position.
Indeed, that's an idea that should be actually gone ahead with now that I'm really thinking about it. When International periods are over, when Schmidt is stuck at a desk (something he hates); he should have dedicated weeks where he brings in squads of fringe/academy players and put them through the full International camp deal that he'd do with the seniors.
Get him and his International team coaches actively and practically involved in the upcoming generation rather than just speechifying and going around looking. Get them involved in the practicalities and the teaching Schmidt could impart out on a field.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 05 Nov 2013, 2:27 pm

Sorry Rodders, didn't see your post before posting mine.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 05 Nov 2013, 3:47 pm

Billy Dardis is already in the Leinster Academy. Not saying he should make an Ireland Squad this season, just pointing that out. He hasn't had a run in the B&I yet.

What is people's problem with Heaslip as Captain? Our 6N performance was down to many other factors before it was down to his captaincy.

He is never injured and is one of the first names on the teamsheet. Class act.

Personally I would go with O'Connell as I think he would unify the team because he is not from Leinster. That and the fact that he is a great leader, great player and great bloke. He is not perfect though and can go into "ginger whinger" mode with refs.

I would have no prob with Drico as "interim" captain either.

Not sure who else I would settle for ahead of Jamie though. O'Mahony is Munster captain as well and still adapting to that role. Sexton is based out foreign as has been pointed out. Best perhaps. Another great player and great bloke, with the added bonus of "not being from Leinster" No one else springs to mind.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue 05 Nov 2013, 4:26 pm

He is embarrassing. You'd think he was have learned from the criticism he received for wearing head phones and no shoes at the coin toss.

Ireland's November Series and Beyond... - Page 10 Jamies10

He picked up a yellow card in the Six Nations - that didn't help Ireland chances (and his disciplinary record is poor in comparision to others). i.e., Leinster 8 Yellow Cards. To put that in context, Alan Quinlan got 3 in his Munster career.

I think you do POC a disservice by mentioning that a good reason to make him captain is because he isn't from Leinster.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Alfonso Tue 05 Nov 2013, 4:33 pm

I would take O’Connell over Heaslip, but not because he’s not from Munster. I think he makes a better captain.

If players get upset because the chosen captain isn’t from their province, they need to be told to man up or take a walk, quite frankly. Provincial politics should play no part.

Don Alfonso

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 05 Nov 2013, 4:40 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Billy Dardis is already in the Leinster Academy. Not saying he should make an Ireland Squad this season, just pointing that out. He hasn't had a run in the B&I yet.

What is people's problem with Heaslip as Captain? Our 6N performance was down to many other factors before it was down to his captaincy.

Personally I would go with O'Connell as I think he would unify the team because he is not from Leinster. That and the fact that he is a great leader, great player and great bloke. He is not perfect though and can go into "ginger whinger" mode with refs.

Not sure who else I would settle for ahead of Jamie though. O'Mahony is Munster captain as well and still adapting to that role. Sexton is based out foreign as has been pointed out. Best perhaps. Another great player and great bloke, with the added bonus of "not being from Leinster" No one else springs to mind.

I agree I think Heaslip makes a perfectly good captain. He could afford to tone down the tweets and be a little smarter about how he presents himself when captain but he certainly is captain material and some of the comments about him during the last 6N was so wide of the mark.

That said I would also give it to POC.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by profitius Tue 05 Nov 2013, 4:41 pm

Heaslip doesn't exactly strike you as being a leader of men. He is more like 'one of the lads'. POC or Best would be my favs. POM is already Munster captain and young, Sexton is playing abroad.

SOB would be an interesting choice too and a 'lead by example' type of captain. He would be respected by everyone.
profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Post by gleesonisgod Tue 05 Nov 2013, 4:42 pm

Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:Billy Dardis is already in the Leinster Academy. Not saying he should make an Ireland Squad this season, just pointing that out. He hasn't had a run in the B&I yet.

That is the last word I would use to describe Heaslip, especially as his play on the field hasn't very classy for the last while. Yes he has the odd great game for Leinster, but I can't remember the last time he was all that great internationally. I personally wouldn't start the guy.

What is he doing in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHAr0X4xFqc

gleesonisgod

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Tue 05 Nov 2013, 4:50 pm

The captain isn't a huge issue, with the likes of POM, BOD, POC, Best, Heaslip, SOB and others around there will be plenty of leaders on the field and plenty who have captained their provinces so picking someone inexperienced or who may not be seen as an obvious choice there will be plenty in his ear guiding him

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 05 Nov 2013, 4:51 pm

marty2086 wrote:The captain isn't a huge issue, with the likes of POM, BOD, POC, Best, Heaslip, SOB and others around there will be plenty of leaders on the field and plenty who have captained their provinces so picking someone inexperienced or who may not be seen as an obvious choice there will be plenty in his ear guiding him
I agree. Too much is made of it.

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 05 Nov 2013, 5:06 pm

Sin é wrote:He is embarrassing. You'd think he was have learned from the criticism he received for wearing head phones and no shoes at the coin toss.
He is in his 20s what the fock do you want? He is not the type of lad who is going to be out bringing in the sheep or whatever. Get over it.

As an Aulfellah meself I find the trousers round the ankles thing a bit cringe, but that's how dem youngfellahs wear them nowadays. Good youngfellahs AND bad youngfellahs

You are being a bit embarrassing yourself picking out such things. It is the equivalent of an Urban person finding the "down on the farm" thing embarrassing.
Sin é wrote:
He picked up a yellow card in the Six Nations - that didn't help Ireland chances (and his disciplinary record is poor in comparision to others). i.e., Leinster 8 Yellow Cards. To put that in context, Alan Quinlan got 3 in his Munster career.
Hard to believe that stat, but if it's true you have a point. His kneeing of McCaw (No matter how much we would all like to knee the focker) is another one. He can lose the head on occasion.

Sin é wrote:
I think you do POC a disservice by mentioning that a good reason to make him captain is because he isn't from Leinster.
You must have missed this bit.
Jenifer McLadyboy wrote:the fact that he is a great leader, great player and great bloke.
Funny how some people only see what they want. Sad

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Tue 05 Nov 2013, 5:08 pm

Too much is made of it...

...and yet.... and yet...if the next Captain is a new captain there'll be reams and reams of stuff written about it in all the usual papers.... even in here.

Yes, I think it's an overdone and over-written role - but many old rugby heads and journalists will still make a big song and dance about it - what it means for the player himself, what it means to his family, what it means for the style of play Schmidt hopes to play, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Just look at the big deals that were made and unmade about both Best and Heaslip taking on the role.  Heaslip especially was dogged by it, as if him being suddenly called 'Captain' was expected to be enough to turn around an already quickly sinking ship.  And because he was powerless to stall the sinking, then he as captain was ultimately responsible.

Yes, much too much guff is written about 'Captains' and the heroics that is expected of them because they have a militaristic title to their name.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by GunsGerms Tue 05 Nov 2013, 5:12 pm

gleesonisgod wrote:What is he doing in this video?

Being a legend?

GunsGerms

Back to top Go down

Post by Jenifer McLadyboy Tue 05 Nov 2013, 5:18 pm

gleesonisgod wrote:That is the last word I would use to describe Heaslip, especially as his play on the field hasn't very classy for the last while. Yes he has the odd great game for Leinster, but I can't remember the last time he was all that great internationally. I personally wouldn't start the guy.

What is he doing in this video?

Luckilly Leinster, Ireland and Lions coaches disagree (Phew!) The guy rarely has a bad game. He has games when he does more grunt work that showy ball carrying, but rarely has a howler.

What's he doing in the video? Acting the eejit. Have you never done that? Probably were not so many cameras around when you did eh?

Again. If that is your evidence that he is not captain material than you are reaching big time.

What people seem to have a problem with is "THEIR PERCEPTION" of who Jamie Heaslip is. Not who he actually is. Sure he likes to play it cool when he is out and about, but he is a seriously committed professional when it comes to the Rugby.

Guys like Donners act the mick too, (and he is also ultra pro in his Rugby) but they are not criticised for it in the same way.

One can have a perception of a public figure which can be waaaay off once you meet them. For example. Another number 8 Mr L Dayglow.

I thought he was the biggest plonker on the planet. And while he may have plonkerish tendencies, he is a very decent guy in the flesh.

Same with the others mentioned.

Jenifer McLadyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 20 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next