The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

End In Sight To Euro Mess (Pt. 2)

+32
Cyril
geoff998rugby
maestegmafia
emack2
Metal Tiger
broadlandboy
Dubbelyew L Overate
timhen
nth
The Saint
Pot Hale
niwatts
Seagultaf
Casartelli
Totallybiasedscarlet
21st Century Schizoid Man
butterfingers
Big
SecretFly
marty2086
Standulstermen
Portnoy's Complaint
Scrumpy
lostinwales
TJ
ScarletSpiderman
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
mystiroakey
Sin é
Irish Londoner
Notch
quinsforever
36 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

End In Sight To Euro Mess (Pt. 2) Empty Re: End In Sight To Euro Mess (Pt. 2)

Post by quinsforever Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:04 am

Munchkin wrote:
Notch wrote:Wouldn't be too interested in Toulon helping keep the dying ERC competitions alive.

Whats better from an Irish/Celtic point of view-

a) Toulon help the Heineken Cup survive but continue their wild spending unchecked
b) ERC competitions are dropped, new 20 team competitions start including Celtic sides, the LNR imposes strict financial penalties on teams who rely exclusively on expensive imports.

For me b) may see the status quo change in a way which is not necessarily in our favour, but it will still allow the Irish provinces to be major powers in Europe on and off the field with the right management in both areas.

But without the culture of charismatic super-rich chairmen buying up talent from elsewhere changing in France we may not be able to keep our best players in Ireland. The likes of Boudjellal and their millions are a bigger threat to us than reform of European competitions.

He can sling his hook in conclusion. Most other sides in the competition have some kind of identity with many homegrown players. His side of imported superstars shouldn't be allowed to become the new normal.
Why is choice restricted to either (a) or (b)? What about (a), but with the Unions imposing those same penalties on clubs breaking whatever foreign player cap?
because, if you read boudjellal's statement, the reason he is saying he will join HC is because there are no caps or quotas in the HC.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:04 am

It's not. I just think we're better off at the negotiating table with the PRL/LNR than trying to keep the ERC alive with the help of Mr Boudjellal.

He's just mouthing off anyway- there's nothing he can do about these LNR reforms and he knows it. So he's trying to put a hammer through the spokes of the new competitions.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:26 am

Notch wrote:It's not. I just think we're better off at the negotiating table with the PRL/LNR than trying to keep the ERC alive with the help of Mr Boudjellal.

He's just mouthing off anyway- there's nothing he can do about these LNR reforms and he knows it. So he's trying to put a hammer through the spokes of the new competitions.
Well he is threatening to do so anyway. As I stated previously; they are using the threat of damaging, or destroying, European competition as leverage for personal advantage. The latest Boudjellal comment, if reported correctly, is a reflection on the PRL/LNR dealings within the HEC. So we have the president of the present HEC winning team already threatening this proposed new tournament before it has even started!
Are these the men that should control a European rugby tournament? How long before the next crises once they turn on each other?

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:47 am

Munchkin wrote:
Notch wrote:It's not. I just think we're better off at the negotiating table with the PRL/LNR than trying to keep the ERC alive with the help of Mr Boudjellal.

Well he is threatening to do so anyway. As I stated previously; they are using the threat of damaging, or destroying, European competition as leverage for personal advantage. The latest Boudjellal comment, if reported correctly, is a reflection on the PRL/LNR dealings within the HEC. So we have the president of the present HEC winning team already threatening this proposed new tournament before it has even started!
Are these the men that should control a European rugby tournament? How long before the next crises once they turn on each other?
hmm, maybe you should come down off the high horse there munchkin. boudjellal is a nutjob. the prl/lnr are legitimately withdrawing from something that wasnt working for them, having given the requisite 2 years notice. what does that have anything to do with boudjellal conducting his not-so-private war with the FFR via the media?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:59 am

quinsforever wrote:
Munchkin wrote:

hmm, maybe you should come down off the high horse there munchkin. boudjellal is a nutjob. the prl/lnr are legitimately withdrawing from something that wasnt working for them, having given the requisite 2 years notice. what does that have anything to do with boudjellal conducting his not-so-private war with the FFR via the media?
Touchy much?

It has everything to do with it. It is all about control. It always has been, and that is something that will follow through to any new tournament if the Unions allow it.
We can all see the history of the HEC, and know that once it comes to the end of agreed contracts there are those who will threaten to pull out unless their demands are met. This is of course passed off as negotiations were compromise is the buzz word.
That very same antagonistic self-serving spirit prevalent within the HEC, is now already raising its head in the shadow of this proposed new tournament in the form of conflict within LNR.
Of course any within PRL/LNR who don't conform are 'nut-jobs' when it suits ones view.

Back to top Go down

Post by Irish Londoner Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:04 am

As I've said before the French will rush to the aid of the victors. They'll let PRL do the dirty work with the Rabo and then jump whichever way is to their advantage.

Irish Londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:05 am

According to Donal Lenihan in his column:

At the launch of this season’s Heineken Cup in Paris, coach of the current holders Toulon, Bernard Laporte, appeared decidedly uneasy and was less than enamoured by the approach of the PRL which he described as “inelegant and inappropriate”.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:10 am

Be careful who you align yourself just to get one up on the english thats all I can say in regards to Toulon!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:48 am

Munchkin wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
Munchkin wrote:

Touchy much?

It has everything to do with it. It is all about control. It always has been, and that is something that will follow through to any new tournament if the Unions allow it.
We can all see the history of the HEC, and know that once it comes to the end of agreed contracts there are those who will threaten to pull out unless their demands are met. This is of course passed off as negotiations were compromise is the buzz word.
That very same antagonistic self-serving spirit prevalent within the HEC, is now already raising its head in the shadow of this proposed new tournament in the form of conflict within LNR.
Of course any within PRL/LNR who don't conform are 'nut-jobs' when it suits ones view.
no, he was a nutjob all along.

you dont get it. i'm not touchy, because i think this improves the likelihood of FFR backing LNR. If the LNR can isolate boudjellal, they are much more likely to be able to come to terms with FFR that work for french club and national rugby, and lead to FFR supporting LNR.

why would i be touchy about that? with boudjellal outside the LNR fold its much more likely that LNR and FFR will come to terms. he was always a liability.

you just tried to liken the prl to boudjellal because you're sad about no HC next year. i understand you're upset but that bird wont fly.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:54 am

Sin é wrote:According to Donal Lenihan in his column:

At the launch of this season’s Heineken Cup in Paris, coach of the current holders Toulon, Bernard Laporte, appeared decidedly uneasy and was less than enamoured by the approach of the PRL which he described as “inelegant and inappropriate”.
donal lenihan reporting what toulon's coach said about LNR/PRL issues? i dont know what to say. lenihan's colours are already firmly nailed to the mast, and is a director of rugby really the closest he could get to a decision-maker? do you think boudjellal takes advice on ownership from laporte? do you think laporte's former role as french secretary of state for sport may influence his sympathies?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:56 am

quinsforever wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
quinsforever wrote:
Munchkin wrote:

Touchy much?

no, he was a nutjob all along.

you dont get it. i'm not touchy, because i think this improves the likelihood of FFR backing LNR. If the LNR can isolate boudjellal, they are much more likely to be able to come to terms with FFR that work for french club and national rugby, and lead to FFR supporting LNR.

why would i be touchy about that? with boudjellal outside the LNR fold its much more likely that LNR and FFR will come to terms. he was always a liability.

you just tried to liken the prl to boudjellal because you're sad about no HC next year. i understand you're upset but that bird wont fly.
Um...ok...Headscratch 

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:57 am

Munchkin wrote:

In a perfect world I wouldn't have any dealings with the egotistical sugar daddies of French rugby, or the grasping bullyboys of the PRL. But until the day when the Pro12 grows to be financially sustainable on its own thats an unrealistic dream. They also need us if they want the benefits European rugby brings, beneath their bluster they realise that. Their proposal of complete club control over European competitions won't come to pass I suspect, I think if the Celtic Unions sign up we'll see a 50/50 split of control between clubs and unions.

With the likes of Boudjellal around we can indeed expect to see more engineered conflicts designed to further individual club-owners agendas. But the way the PRL and LNR are structured if the smaller clubs are happy with the status quo then we should have more stability. The president of one big club is fairly powerless if the majority of smaller clubs are against him.

I think we should all be watching this closely. Any move to curb the excesses of loss-leading clubs who rely on vast amounts of outside investment is good for everyone else in the rugby world, however minor and flawed that move may be.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:24 am

A 50/50 split I believe is something that PRL/LNR would be delighted with, as it further strengthens club control of Union. PRL/LNR didn't have majority control of votes outside of their respective unions, yet we are were we are now because of the little control they did have, the power to pull clubs out of HEC, they have caused maximum disruption, and the possible destruction of HEC.
I believe to hand that much control over to the clubs is to effectively cede Union control over European rugby in the long term.
Rabo, PRL and LNR do need each other, but the foundations of any European competition must be either Union, or Club. Not a mix of the two otherwise it's a cracked foundation as it's plain to see the divide between the two, and any structure built on such foundation will never be secure.

Last edited by Munchkin on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:35 am

mystiroakey wrote:Be careful who you align yourself just to get one up on the english thats all I can say in regards to Toulon!!
I'm sure the Celtic League nations will be taking your inestimably excellent advice on board, strokey OK

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

End In Sight To Euro Mess (Pt. 2) Empty Euro Mess Pt2

Post by mystiroakey Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:04 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:Be careful who you align yourself just to get one up on the english thats all I can say in regards to Toulon!!
I'm sure the Celtic League nations will be taking your inestimably excellent advice on board, strokey OK
Thats good dude, I like my celtic brothers

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

End In Sight To Euro Mess (Pt. 2) Empty End In Sight To Euro Mess (Pt. 2)

Post by ScarletSpiderman Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:42 pm

VietGwentRevisited wrote:Reports in the Times today that agreement may be close for pan-European competitions for the next 8 seasons including Pro12/AP/T14 teams. (cannot link due to paywall).

It seems that in the last few weeks Ian Ritchie has been hosting a series of private meetings with all relevant parties to try and thrash out a deal. Interestingly PRLs representative in these meetings has been Bruce Craig - Mark McCafferty being sidelined?
Any way it seems that compromises have been reached on qualification methods, division of finances and management of the new competition. It would seem ERC are out, but the clubs will only have a say in the new competition not the full control they demanded. It even suggests we may see BT and SKY operate as joint broadcasters!!

Supposedly this new competition is almost agreed by all the relevant stakeholders (primarily the 6 Unions but also PRL/LNR). It may all be journalistic bluster - but I see no reason why a NewsCorp paper should be peddling this line if they did not believe it. After all until very recently their stories have always been heaping the utmost scorn on PRL/RFU.

So if a deal is struck that gives us a true set of pan-European competitions I can only be really pleased. I do hope that the story is true about the private meetings - as there has been far too much public posturing from people that only serves to antagonise. A public argument is much harder to heal than a private one.

So if true I guess congrats to Ian Ritchie who has kept RFU out of the limelight. Accused of sticking his head in the sands, it would suggest that he has actually been doing something useful away from the glare of the press and internet.

I need a shower now, cannot believe I just said something decent about the RFU.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:43 pm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Nothing new to say. Its all going round in circles

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by lostinwales Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:45 pm

NO it ISN'T!

lostinwales
lostinwales
lostinwales

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:48 pm

Oh yes it is!

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:49 pm

Why is Gatland getting involved?

Thats all we need him playing mind games!
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:51 pm

Gatland - because he is saying it as he sees it.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Portnoy's Complaint Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:05 pm

T'is
T'aint
T'is
T'aint
T'is
T'aint
T'is
T'aint
T'is
T'aint
T'is
T'aint

Portnoy's Complaint

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:07 pm

Part 2 [laugh]

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:12 pm

More like pt 47

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:13 pm

I wonder how many parts we can get too before it is resolved?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:16 pm

Any move that results in two paytv broadcasters is unnacceptable. I feel that strongly about this I would reconsider my season ticket

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:28 pm

quinsforever wrote:
Munchkin wrote:
Notch wrote:Wouldn't be too interested in Toulon helping keep the dying ERC competitions alive.

Whats better from an Irish/Celtic point of view-

a) Toulon help the Heineken Cup survive but continue their wild spending unchecked
b) ERC competitions are dropped, new 20 team competitions start including Celtic sides, the LNR imposes strict financial penalties on teams who rely exclusively on expensive imports.

For me b) may see the status quo change in a way which is not necessarily in our favour, but it will still allow the Irish provinces to be major powers in Europe on and off the field with the right management in both areas.

But without the culture of charismatic super-rich chairmen buying up talent from elsewhere changing in France we may not be able to keep our best players in Ireland. The likes of Boudjellal and their millions are a bigger threat to us than reform of European competitions.

He can sling his hook in conclusion. Most other sides in the competition have some kind of identity with many homegrown players. His side of imported superstars shouldn't be allowed to become the new normal.
Why is choice restricted to either (a) or (b)? What about (a), but with the Unions imposing those same penalties on clubs breaking whatever foreign player cap?
because, if you read boudjellal's statement, the reason he is saying he will join HC is because there are no caps or quotas in the HC.
Your interpretation of his comments may or may not be true, quinsforever, but there are most certainly ERC eligibility criteria:

3. ELIGIBILITY OF PLAYERS

3.1 Each club must nominate a squad of up to 38 players. A minimum of 10 of the players nominated by the club must be capable of playing in front row forward positions. All such players must, on registration, be fully and properly registered with their club and Union and available to play for the club from that date.

3.2 A club must nominate a squad of between 19 and 23 players for each match.

3.3 A minimum of six front row players must be included in each match squad such that on the first occasion that a replacement is required in each position, a replacement can be made. Where uncontested scrums are ordered due to the departure of a front row player and there is no suitable replacement, the player whose departure caused the uncontested scrums may not be replaced (i.e. the club will be required to play with 14 players).

3.4 In order to reduce the possibility of uncontested scrums, each club may also nominate further front row players, referred to as 'Emergency Front Row players', who may be registered with ERC on a match-by-match basis provided that all necessary details of the players have been submitted before 12 noon (GMT) on 19 September 2013. The provision for the nomination of Emergency Front Row players is not intended to allow clubs to improve the quality of their squads, and is designed to cater for illness and/or injury in the relevant positions. The players added to squads will typically come from a club's academy or similar.

3.5 Each club may register up to two additional players during the pool stage, each to replace a player previously registered. If a club registers two additional players, one such player must be a front row player. Additional players must have a three-month contract with the club and must not have played for another club in the tournament. Additional player registrations must be submitted by 12 noon (GMT) on the Tuesday before the match. De-registered players may be re-registered (in place of the relevant additional players) during the pool stage.

3.6 Each club involved in the knockout stage may register up to three further players. If a club registers three further players, one such player must be a front row player. Such registrations must be submitted by 12 noon (GMT) on 20 March 2014. The players in question must not have played for another club in the tournament.

3.7 Each club is permitted a maximum of two 'non-European players' in each match squad.
What I learned recently upon questioning Toulon's internationally-flavoured squad is that international caps have no bearing on player eligibility, it is simply work permit governed

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:38 pm

quinsforever wrote:
Sin é wrote:According to Donal Lenihan in his column:

donal lenihan reporting what toulon's coach said about LNR/PRL issues? i dont know what to say. lenihan's colours are already firmly nailed to the mast, and is a director of rugby really the closest he could get to a decision-maker? do you think boudjellal takes advice on ownership from laporte? do you think laporte's former role as french secretary of state for sport may influence his sympathies?
It was a comment in an opinion piece which that backs up the opinion that the PRL have been doing all the running on this one from a couple of weeks back which I was surprised to read and illustrated then that not everyone was on board this new Championship. As a former Secretary for Sport for France as well as being national coach, he is a cut above your average DoR.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:39 pm

Good info there asbo

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:44 pm

The problem is there are caps in place for foreign players in the ERC they just aren't enforced

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/heinekencup/rules.php#.UmED1lPmojs

Check rule 3.7

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:50 pm

Fair enough sin e. We are all being starved of info, including journos at the moment. Hopefully this is a good sign that communication is happening, not bridge-burning.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:50 pm

marty2086 wrote:The problem is there are caps in place for foreign players in the ERC they just aren't enforced

http://www.ercrugby.com/eng/heinekencup/rules.php#.UmED1lPmojs

Check rule 3.7
That's what I was trying to get at, in my round about way, Marty. They are being enforced, just not in the way that you might imagine - so work permit-based regulations are what determine 'eligible' players, nothing to do with caps received for playing for another country. So Ali Williams is a British passport holder, with one English and one Scots parent, Chris Masoe is island-born and so qualifies under Kolpak, etc.

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:56 pm

What exactly does non-European mean? Birth? Passport? Eligibility? Domicile? Ancestry? No wonder it's flouted if it's not precisely defined.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:08 pm

quinsforever wrote:What exactly does non-European mean? Birth? Passport? Eligibility? Domicile? Ancestry? No wonder it's flouted if it's not precisely defined.
Me.

I'm not European. I'm an Irish citizen living on the continent of Europe. A Canadian isn't an American. Neither is a Mexican. They live on the American continent but the name doesn't define them.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:09 pm

Munchkin wrote:A 50/50 split I believe is something that PRL/LNR would be delighted with, as it further strengthens club control of Union. PRL/LNR didn't have majority control of votes outside of their respective unions, yet we are were we are now because of the little control they did have, the power to pull clubs out of HEC, they have caused maximum disruption, and the possible destruction of HEC.
I believe to hand that much control over to the clubs is to effectively cede Union control over European rugby in the long term.
Rabo, PRL and LNR do need each other, but the foundations of any European competition must be either Union, or Club. Not a mix of the two otherwise it's a cracked foundation as it's plain to see the divide between the two, and any structure built on such foundation will never be secure.
But they always had the power to pull clubs out of the HEC... the unions were contracted to ERC and the clubs to the unions. They still had the option of handing their notice in to the unions, which would have left the RFU/FFR with no choice but to do the same to ERC.

You can blame the clubs if you like, but ultimately I think we are where we are now because England and France have very different structures to the celtic/italians, and what works for one lot doesn't work for the other. I'm not convinced that we can have a tournament that works for everyone because the needs are demands of our structures are so different.

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:20 pm

Ian Evans says he'll quit the Ospreys if there is no HC for thenm to play in, so it's clear he doesn't value the Rabo as a meaningful league.

I think the WRU need to back their regions to join the new competition asap.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:22 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Ian Evans says he'll quit the Ospreys if there is no HC for thenm to play in, so it's clear he doesn't value the Rabo as a meaningful league.

About as clear as a very very muddy puddle, with dirty oily patches in it - well done, Scrump

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:26 pm

Thats what he said,

without HC rugby then he'll leave as he still wants to play International rugby and the Rabo doesn't offer the level of competiton that the HC does, which he sees as only a slight step down from International rugby.
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:28 pm

SecretFly wrote:
quinsforever wrote:What exactly does non-European mean? Birth? Passport? Eligibility? Domicile? Ancestry? No wonder it's flouted if it's not precisely defined.
Me.

I'm not European.  I'm an Irish citizen living on the continent of Europe.  A Canadian isn't an American.  Neither is a Mexican.  They live on the American continent but the name doesn't define them.
maybe they could have different degrees of european-ness. i think i'm hardly european (lets call that 25%).maybe there could be a standardised test where you have to get a few of the capitals of europe correct and current prime ministers or presidents, be able to say a few token words in at least two european language, and correctly identify whether stella artois is french or belgian?

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:31 pm

the term european means what you want it to mean.

I am european.

However many other Brits or irish will not associate with that term, they may not feel european, or they may see europe as mainland western europe only.

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by mystiroakey Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:32 pm

Stella artois is 100% belgium and i have been to the brewery in leuven!!

mystiroakey

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:33 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Ian Evans says he'll quit the Ospreys if there is no HC for thenm to play in, so it's clear he doesn't value the Rabo as a meaningful league.

Em, Welsh players have been drip feeding away to France and other places anyway........... it's called 'more money' and Boy, do France have it.

Nothing to do with meaningfulness of the Pro12 league.  A meaningful league is one you get to win (Ospreys have) against high quality opposition (three past HC winners [two multiple] present).  

The players don't rightly care about the rest of it... neither the details of good rugby ground governance, the price of chips and coke nor the drainage diagrams for their home turf.  Play against the best and win - that's a league.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Big Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:37 pm

quinsforever wrote:
SecretFly wrote:
Me.

I'm not European.  I'm an Irish citizen living on the continent of Europe.  A Canadian isn't an American.  Neither is a Mexican.  They live on the American continent but the name doesn't define them.
maybe they could have different degrees of european-ness. i think i'm hardly european (lets call that 25%).maybe there could be a standardised test where you have to get a few of the capitals of europe correct and current prime ministers or presidents, be able to say a few token words in at least two european language, and correctly identify whether stella artois is french or belgian?
I can think of a few friends that would fail that one, despite being of British descent and born and brought up here... Whistle

Big

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:38 pm

european, pronounced "euro-pee-on", stems from a collective desire to remove power from the national politicians who aren't to be trusted, and invest ultimate power in some far-removed, mythic, altruistic beast.

germany fell on the sword so it wouldnt go to war again, france grabbed the pommel of the sword for the same reason. southern europe (boy were they right) didnt trust their own politicians to do anything other than feather their own nests, eastern europe wants to disempower their own politicians and get their hands on all that loverly development aid.

none of those motives appeal to me, so the whole bureaucratic top-down raison d'etre of the EU is franky not very british at all. it's anti entrepreneurial.

bored at work...and dont know anything about crustaceans...Wink 

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:39 pm

mystiroakey wrote:Stella artois is 100% belgium and i have been to the brewery in leuven!!
you have proven your european-ness fully grasshopper.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:40 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Thats what he said,

without HC rugby then he'll leave as he still wants to play International rugby and the Rabo doesn't offer the level of competiton that the HC does, which he sees as only a slight step down from International rugby.
He can't get into the Osprey's Heineken Cup team as it is. Maybe the Rabo is his level Very Happy 

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:51 pm

quinsforever wrote:
mystiroakey wrote:Stella artois is 100% belgium and i have been to the brewery in leuven!!
you have proven your european-ness fully grasshopper.
Sorry to disappoint Mysti, but they also brew Stella in Magor, just outside Newport in South Wales. They probably make and distribute a lot of the stuff we have in the UK, rather than it being imported. I've known a few people work there over the years. Sort of takes the shine off it a bit!

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:56 pm

http://www.rugbybanterpage.org/apps/blog/show/33924498-naughty-naughty-toulon

Think this explains the European, Kolpak situation

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:08 pm

Yeah, a true vision of when a European isn't a European ... but is.

Europe loves complicating the simple with office blocks full of fine print and legal get-out-but-stay-in clauses.

I laugh at the Kolpak idea when nations that have much more deep cultural and ancestral links (USA, Australia, New Zealand) are not part of the program.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by quinsforever Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:10 pm

good link. still unclear whether there are other ways those 7 non-european players mentioned in the piece might be able to be defined as european by other means...ancestry, residence, etc. kolpak stuff looks pretty clear cut.

quinsforever

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next