The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Harlequins v Connacht and maybe a new record in sight?

+19
England rugby fan
EnglishReign
majesticimperialman
maestegmafia
Morgannwg
Dubbelyew L Overate
HammerofThunor
PJHolybloke
asoreleftshoulder
Thomond
Rava
ME-109
doctor_grey
Cumbrian
Standulstermen
rodders
greybeard
beshocked
yappysnap
23 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Harlequins v Connacht and maybe a new record in sight? Empty Harlequins v Connacht and maybe a new record in sight?

Post by yappysnap Fri 11 Nov 2011, 10:33 am

Thought i'd create a thread for the first HC match of the season. Will get the team sheets up when they come out and hopefully get some chat and banter going about the match and the up coming tournament.

If there's any Connacht fans out there would be great to hear a bit about your team as I know very little about them.

As a point to note as well, if Harlequins do win this game then they'll set a new English club record for the longest winning streak at the start of a season.

Quins Team:
15 FB Mike Brown
14 W Seb Stegmann
13 C George Lowe
12 C Jordan Turner-Hall
11 W Sam Smith
10 FH Nick Evans
9 SH Karl Dickson
1 P Joe Marler
2 H Chris Brooker
3 P James Johnston
4 L Ollie Kohn
5 L George Robson
6 F Maurie Fa'asavalu
7 F Chris Robshaw
8 N8 Nick Easter

Connacht:
15 FB Gavin Duffy
14 W Brian Tuohy
13 C Eoin Griffin
12 C David McSharry
11 W Tiernan O'Halloran
10 FH Miah Nikora
9 SH Paul O'Donohoe
1 P Brett Wilkinson
2 H Adrian Flavin
3 P Rodney Ah You
4 L Michael Swift
5 L Mike McCarthy
6 F John Muldoon
7 F Ray Ofisa Treviranus
8 N8 George Naoupu

Last edited by yappysnap on Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:11 am; edited 2 times in total

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Harlequins v Connacht and maybe a new record in sight? Empty Re: Harlequins v Connacht and maybe a new record in sight?

Post by beshocked Fri 11 Nov 2011, 10:35 am

Sorry to be pedantic yappysnap but shouldn't the title say sight?

I am aggrieved because you haven't had to play us yet.

You should win comfortably.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Harlequins v Connacht and maybe a new record in sight? Empty Re: Harlequins v Connacht and maybe a new record in sight?

Post by greybeard Fri 11 Nov 2011, 10:44 am

You were in the same amlin pool last year, surely you know something about them?

Teams were announced yesterday

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 11 Nov 2011, 10:55 am

Ah you spotted the intentional mistake! One point to that man.

True we haven't had to play Saracens Beshocked but then we don't choose the fixtures, and who's to say we wouldn't have won anyhows? You guys looked pretty ropey when Wasps turned you over at the start of the season and i'd be interested to see how you'd go if a team put a couple of scores on you early.

I suppose we may know the answer after a few of these European weekends.

I don't want to assume anything about the match tonight. Being a Harlequins fan has taught me that we can throw away the most winnable matches.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 11 Nov 2011, 10:56 am

greybeard wrote:You were in the same amlin pool last year, surely you know something about them?

Teams were announced yesterday

Nothing much that I can remember.

I'll post them up then, don't put yourself out.

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 11 Nov 2011, 10:58 am

Sorry, on a mobile, copying and pasting ain't easy!

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 11 Nov 2011, 10:59 am

Connacht are a decent enough side I think. Is it fair to say they've been used as a feeder province by the IRFU in recent times?

They've definitely improved a lot in the last few seasons and aren't Rabo whipping boys anymore thats for sure.

There aren't a lot of big names there but there's a few Irish fringe guys like Mike McCarthy, Muldoon, Jonny O'Connor and Gavin Duffy etc. there. Their pack was pretty impressive against the blues a few weeks ago and they used the rolling maul to good effect.

They can play some good attacking rugby too but I'm not sure how much serious firepower they have out wide but the winger O'Halloran is classy. Like most Irish sides they are aggressive and physical in defence and won't be easy to break down.

I'd imagine Harlequins will be big favourites but I don't think it will be an easy night for them.

rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:07 am

JOC is out for a month. Gavin Duffy is a former quin.

Keep an eye on their no. Eight. A wrecking ball

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:10 am

Who is the defence coach Greybeard, is it Mike Forshaw? They are very organised in defence.

Who do you think will start at 10? Nikora(?) or O'Connor? I think Frank Murphy is a decent player as well. They seem to be building a good squad.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:12 am

greybeard wrote:Sorry, on a mobile, copying and pasting ain't easy!

No worries, should have checked before posting!

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:12 am

Nikora got the nod, POD was selected ahead of Murphy?

Don't know the coaches apart from Elwood

Last edited by greybeard on Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by yappysnap Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:13 am

roddersm wrote:Who is the defence coach Greybeard, is it Mike Forshaw? They are very organised in defence.

Who do you think will start at 10? Nikora(?) or O'Connor? I think Frank Murphy is a decent player as well. They seem to be building a good squad.

looks like Nikora is starting, is he any good?

yappysnap

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:13 am

Where has Mark McCrea gone? i thought he was doing quite well done there. He was certainly the most accomplished of the 3 ulstermen that went down there imo

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:14 am

Nikora was back up to keatley last year, and just back from injury. keatley is badly missed.

Last edited by greybeard on Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 11 Nov 2011, 11:16 am

Standulstermen wrote:Where has Mark McCrea gone? i thought he was doing quite well done there. He was certainly the most accomplished of the 3 ulstermen that went down there imo

Playing in their A team this week.

They're developing some depth. Even Vainikolo didn't make the squad for tonight.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:08 pm

Looks a good open game so far. First blood to Quins

3-0

5 mins gone.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:10 pm

Holding on pretty soon after the kick off gives Connacht a chance to level things up.

Takes it

3-3

7 minutes gone.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:12 pm

Penalty for offside against Connaght, Quins get a chance to restore their lead.

6-3

10 mins gone.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:18 pm

Great try from Connacht, carved up the defensive line and finished by O'Halloran.

6-10

15 mins gone.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:23 pm

Quins shocked into action, after about 19 phases Smith places the ball over the line but it is a clear double movement... But the ref was playing advantage.

Penalty is knocked over

9-10

20 mins gone.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:27 pm

Connacht slowing the ball down a lot and the Ref seems to be getting fed up of it, they've given away another penalty, it's a long way out... Evans misses.

9-10

21 mins gone.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:32 pm

Why is an HC match in west London not a sell out?

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:33 pm

ho ho ho...harlequins are in shock at the moment. Mike Brown whingeing as usual...Come on Connacht..show the other Irish provinces the way.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:35 pm

DOD wrote:ho ho ho...harlequins are in shock at the moment. Mike Brown whingeing as usual...Come on Connacht..show the other Irish provinces the way.

+1
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:35 pm

Ref is a right homer as well...usual French ref.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:35 pm

Have to admit the Connacht jerseys look pretty good on tv.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:36 pm

DOD wrote:Ref is a right homer as well...usual French ref.
ref also looks like he is 16 years old.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:38 pm

Mike Brown hurt...probably tried to kick someone and hurt himself Whistle

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:42 pm

DOD wrote:Mike Brown hurt...probably tried to kick someone and hurt himself Whistle

You just can't help it can you DOD?
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomond Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:43 pm

Connacht doing fairly well. The Irish team are a goal up aswell. Don't know if Connacht can keep it up.

Thomond

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:44 pm

Connacht under pressure,they need to get to half time without conceding much more.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:44 pm

Did he just give a high tackle?

No idea what you mean Rava

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:48 pm

No joking but did I see some blood?

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Rava Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:51 pm

DOD wrote:Did he just give a high tackle?

No idea what you mean Rava

?? Wink guinness
Rava
Rava

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:52 pm

Connacht will do well to keep this score down. A good start but they look knackered as the half went on. Plenty of positives though. Hopefullythey hang on to the likes of Griffin and O'Halloran.

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:52 pm

Brown was whinging because it was a blatant shoulder charge. There's no way the ref is a homer, Connacht are killing the ball every chance they get, they've constantly got men on the wrong side and he missed a blantant block on Robshaw for the Connacht try.

Doesn't matter anyway, Quins are beginning to show their dominance and have stretched out to a 9 points lead. It's been a great effort from them, but Connacht look to be tiring from so much defending. It could be a long 2nd half for Connacht if Quins come out and play like they did in the 2nd quarter.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by asoreleftshoulder Fri 11 Nov 2011, 8:57 pm

Yeah Quins seem to be breaking the gainline every time they take it up now,Connachts defence out wide looks solid but they're giving up a lot of ground around the fringes of the ruck.

asoreleftshoulder

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:02 pm

just saw the half time stats. Connacht made 104 tackles in the first half! Harelquins only 33.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:04 pm

Quins' offloading is killing Connacht.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:06 pm

Cumbrian wrote:Brown was whinging because it was a blatant shoulder charge. There's no way the ref is a homer, Connacht are killing the ball every chance they get, they've constantly got men on the wrong side and he missed a blantant block on Robshaw for the Connacht try.

Doesn't matter anyway, Quins are beginning to show their dominance and have stretched out to a 9 points lead. It's been a great effort from them, but Connacht look to be tiring from so much defending. It could be a long 2nd half for Connacht if Quins come out and play like they did in the 2nd quarter.

Yawn...

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:09 pm

Just flashed up as 94-48, but they did get the score wrong before so I wouldn't put too much stock in it. Very Happy
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by PJHolybloke Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:10 pm

Connacht have come out with a gameplan tonight, it hasn't come off entirely as such, but I'm pleased to see they're thinking a bit more clinically than usual.

Robshaw, Evans and Brown have all had a bit of attention and aside from the first one it hasn't had the desired result, but it does show a level of ambition beyond just having a bash.

Quins way too strong up front though, and I expect a 15-20 point winning margin,.

I'll look forward to the Sportsground game.
PJHolybloke
PJHolybloke

Back to top Go down

Post by Cumbrian Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:12 pm

DOD wrote:
Cumbrian wrote:Brown was whinging because it was a blatant shoulder charge. There's no way the ref is a homer, Connacht are killing the ball every chance they get, they've constantly got men on the wrong side and he missed a blantant block on Robshaw for the Connacht try.

Yawn...

Bigger Yawn.
Cumbrian
Cumbrian

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:14 pm

The yawns have it. Now... Back to the rugby.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:16 pm

Very naive defending for that Quins run.

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:17 pm

Yeah Greybeard...why dont you stick to the rugby....I wouldnt bother with these types of sites...too much bother alltogether.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:18 pm

Why did he bring O'Connor on????

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by greybeard Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:20 pm

Quota? Laugh

greybeard

Back to top Go down

Post by Standulstermen Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:21 pm

I thought Nikora was playing very well. Not sure about O'Donohoe. Touch of the Paul Marshalls about him for my money

Get in!!!!!! Yahoo

Last edited by Standulstermen on Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total

Standulstermen

Back to top Go down

Post by ME-109 Fri 11 Nov 2011, 9:24 pm

Whatever about the discussion of Irelands next centres both of Connachts have been very impressive.

ME-109

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next